Cut Robby Anderson NOW

Lot K Tailgaters

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

In retrospect, I was wrong.  I have been touting Robby since the middle of last season.  Turns out, I still might have underestimated him.

He is absolutely, without question, one of the 32 best WRs in the NFL.  In a draft redo, he would be a 1st round pick.

Check the Sig. I have also been high on Anderson for sometime as well.  Reading some of the previous posts I just was shaking my head at the lack of patience exhibited by so many fans.  This kid is just scratching the surface of how good he can become.  Give a real quarterback and see what kind of numbers he puts up.   

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

someone thinks he is selfish........... https://nypost.com/2017/11/26/todd-bowles-calls-out-selfish-jets-receiver-after-his-best-game/

Todd Bowles calls out ‘selfish’ Jets receiver after his best game

Wide receiver Robby Anderson put on the best performance of his short career, catching six balls for a career-high 146 yards and two touchdowns. The speedster extended his streak of consecutive games with a touchdown to five, becoming just the seventh player in franchise history to do so.

Approaching halftime, the Jets offense — which had mustered just three points — showed little promise of being able to compete with Carolina’s stout defense. Then Anderson exploded.

With 1:12 left in the second quarter, Josh McCown heaved a 33-yard deep ball to the end zone for Anderson, who was blanketed by two defenders. The 24-year-old managed to snatch it and get two feet down inbounds for his first touchdown of the day.

He struck again on a broken play in the third quarter. Flushed out of the pocket, McCown directed Anderson to go long and lobbed a 54-yard bomb over the secondary.

“Hats off to Robby,” the Jets quarterback said. “He’s a stud, man.”

With each game, that becomes harder to dispute.

But of course, it isn’t all about Anderson — a point the undrafted second-year player found himself defending to the media in a desolate locker room afterward.

Following his second touchdown, which made it 17-12 Jets with more than 20 minutes remaining, Anderson did some boasting to the camera.

“Hey, will y’all vote for me for the Pro Bowl, man, please?” he was shown asking.

When asked about his bit of self-promotion, Anderson insisted his intentions were “nothing bad.”

“I was just excited,” he said. “I wasn’t trying to come off in a bad way. [It was] just excitement, spur of the moment. Everybody knows that I’m all for this team in every aspect. I make my life decisions based off my teammates. Everything I do is about being the best I can for my teammates, so it wasn’t anything malicious or anything like that or trying to come off in the wrong way. I was just excited in the moment.”

But coach Todd Bowles wasn’t exactly pleased to hear how that excitement was expressed.

“I didn’t see it, but if that’s true, that’s not smart football,” coach Todd Bowles said. “We don’t want selfish players on this team doing selfish things.”

**** Bowles.  Anderson do your thing.

16 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Great.  But a 6'3", 220 pound WR who runs a 4.3 and catches everything is called a first round pick.

Totally agree.

I know Robby will never get to 220, his frame is too small. But right now he is about 35lbs shy of 220. Would like to see him put on some size.

The kid can play. Sometimes we forget that is just what he is. Young,dumb, and full of cum. He will mature and hopefully he will do it in a Jet uniform. I would like to see him add some muscle but you don't want him to slow down. Just enough so he can play a full season without injury. That's the only concern for me. Will he develop into a #1? Well like it or not he is close to that right now. Is that a statement to his development or the state of the Jets WR situation?

I may have overreacted when I started this post.  He's been outstanding recently.

I still think he has some growing up to do.  Throwing the helmet was still stupid and the whole Pro Bowl thing wasn't necessary either.  He also has some unresolved legal issues from last offseason that I am concerned about.

If he can avoid doing stupid things he can be a great WR. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

The kid can play. Sometimes we forget that is just what he is. Young,dumb, and full of cum. He will mature and hopefully he will do it in a Jet uniform. I would like to see him add some muscle but you don't want him to slow down. Just enough so he can play a full season without injury. That's the only concern for me. Will he develop into a #1? Well like it or not he is close to that right now. Is that a statement to his development or the state of the Jets WR situation?

It doesn't really matter.  There are at least three WRs out there, what, 60% of the time?  So the guy is a starting WR, whether he's the best, second best, or third best WR on the team and would be a starting WR on most (all?) teams.  The Jets have already won by getting a starting WR as an UDFA.  

7 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I may have overreacted when I started this post.  He's been outstanding recently.

I still think he has some growing up to do.  Throwing the helmet was still stupid and the whole Pro Bowl thing wasn't necessary either.  He also has some unresolved legal issues from last offseason that I am concerned about.

If he can avoid doing stupid things he can be a great WR. 

Unfortunately many of the great receivers are kind of prima donnas and do things like this all the time. We are holding him to a higher standard than his peers as if we don't see WR's pull this kind of "look at me" behavior every week. The end zone celebrations alone should tell you he is fitting right in. I dont disagree with you that it was stupid and unnecessary but it is par for the course in today's NFL, gotta take the bad with the good with WR's. 

He won't have games like this every week and he's likely not big enough to be a #1 receiver, but he has the skill set and seemingly the work ethic to become a good #2 or a really dangerous #3.

He's also a good example of how sometimes guys just need a little time. 

12 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

He won't have games like this every week and he's likely not big enough to be a #1 receiver, but he has the skill set and seemingly the work ethic to become a good #2 or a really dangerous #3.

Agreed.

Robby is on pace for 1,038 yards. Definitely a good season, a great one when you factor in that he wasn't drafted. Makes missing on some many WR draft picks a little easier.

One slight concern, other than his size is that 496 yards have come in losses. While 218 have come during wins. Granted a lot of that (most of it is that they are just bad). If special teams doesn't give up a TD, and McCown doesn't give up a TD, that win \ loss \ yard stat line would read differently. But it is worth watching. 

Kind of the next step for him to prove he can be a # 1 or # 2 guy, is that he can get the yards when it counts. I don't think that will be an issue, his hands are great.

I don't have a problem with what Bowles said his post game presser about Robby campaigning for Pro Bowl votes, he's been very vocal about the "team first" environment he's trying to create in that locker room.  With that being said,  where I do have a problem is with Bowles always being quick to call out the young guys and not the veterans.  I mean I hate to assume but what if it was Forte that said that?  I have a feeling his response would've been much different.  I actually don't dislike Bowles overall and hate to pile on but this is just one thing I've noticed with him, he has huge favoritism towards vets vs. the young guys.

6 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I don't have a problem with what Bowles said his post game presser about Robby campaigning for Pro Bowl votes, he's been very vocal about the "team first" environment he's trying to create in that locker room.  With that being said,  where I do have a problem is with Bowles always being quick to call out the young guys and not the veterans.  I mean I hate to assume but what if it was Forte that said that?  I have a feeling his response would've been much different.  I actually don't dislike Bowles overall and hate to pile on but this is just one thing I've noticed with him, he has huge favoritism towards vets vs. the young guys.

Every thing about Bowles is skewed towards veterans. His gut instincts on how to handle things are completely wrong, and he seemingly hates his OWN offense. I think he is a rock bottom HC in the NFL. If Q can come back healthy, and we can bring in a HC that believes in offense, has experience developing QBs, we have the beginnings of some offensive players to build around, although we will need to load up on offense in the next 2 or 3 drafts. The more I watch football the more I realize that "defense" does not win Championships, not does "a Top 5" offense win Championships, but a top half offense with a solid OL, solid to franchise QB and balance between offense and defense does. And it is harder to be balanced on the offensive side than the defensive side especially if you dont have a Brady or Rodgers or Rapelisburger, who can make any offense balanced.

5 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I do. He could have easily said, "kid was just excited after making a big play... blah, blah." Then speak with him prvately, but instead he has to talk about him being selfish to the media. Guess what, OF COURSE HE IS SELFISH AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE.  You don't think Bowles is selfish because he is concerned more about keeping his job than developing the team?   If he wasn't selfish then Petty or Hackenburg would be starting next week or the week after that, puting the needs of the team (to properly evaluate those two before the draft) then his desire get a few more "meaningless" wins to keep his job.   I get so sick and tired of players being held at a higher standard than anyone else.  It is so hypocritical. 

18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

More nitpicking...  Endzone celebrations?  He wants to be recognized for what he is doing?  

Let me sum this up.  The stuff above and the scuffle in Miami demonstrates he is still a little immature.   His "antics" that some of you don't like also suggest he is having fun while playing. This kid has the potential to be one of the best WRs in franchise history.

Lighten up and enjoy the show! 

The choreographed group EZ celebrations are beyond cringeworthy. Not pointing at Anderson here, but good lord these come off as so forced.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The choreographed group EZ celebrations are beyond cringeworthy. Not pointing at Anderson here, but good lord these come off as so forced.

I don't care for the group stuff either.  I thought the NFL lightened up on the celebrations so we could let players show raw emotion and occasionally do something entertaining. "Forced" is the perfect word for what we are seeing instead. 

I was simply defending Robby, specifically. 

Robby is developing nicely and does some great things.

You can tell he is just not that smart.  He tries to keep it under control and then does some silly stuff.  Maybe that is why he was not drafted, or why he played at Temple.  

Getting a contract could be the worst thing that happens to him.  We should enjoy this ride while we can.

He's officially the best receiver on the team. More yards and TD's than anybody else, tied for the most receptions on the team with ASJ for now (41) and overall his numbers are comparable to some of the top 20 WR's in the game. I'm really happy to see him take another step and making mid-range and contested catches- a far cry from last year where he was only good at go routes.

Now he's not just a home run hitter, he's one with depth to his game.

As for his attitude? Well, he's had a couple moments of immaturity though a lot of it is just excitement. This whole Pro Bowl thing for instance, he's just feeling himself a bit, but that can come across the wrong way. I'm fine with Bowles tempering his ego a little, after all whatever he's been doing with him has helped him develop.

I'm content with his progress, this is what you want to see out of a second year player.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I do. He could have easily said, "kid was just excited after making a big play... blah, blah." but instead he has to talk about him being selfish. Guess what, OF COURSE HE IS SELFISH AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE.  You don't think Bowles is selfish because he is concerned more about keeping his job than developing the team?   If he wasn't selfish then Petty or Hackenburg would be starting next week or the week after that, puting the needs of the team (to properly evaluate those two before the draft) then his desire get a few more "meaningless" wins to keep his job.   I get so sick and tired of players being held at a higher standard than anyone else.  It is so hypocritical. 

He didn't see it, knew nothing about it.  He only answered because he was asked by the reporters..As usual this little thing is being blown way out of proportion. 

you really can't see a difference this year compared to last yr in terms of development?  Really?

6 hours ago, DMan77 said:

If Q comes back next year, they could have 3 good WR with a pass catching TE for the first time in....   ever?

Just need a QB, LT, RT, Center, Running back and a QB.  (I said that twice, cause they need one)

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He didn't see it, knew nothing about it.  He only answered because he was asked by the reporters..As usual this little thing is being blown way out of proportion. 

you really can't see a difference this year compared to last yr in terms of development?  Really?

I meant after the media asked him about it; no need to throw your young, talented but a but immature but player under the bus. He could have spoken to him in private and to the team behind closed doors.   Regarding development, no, it is more the players getting an opportunity to play because so many veterans were let go.  The fact that he has totally given up on Petty and Hack tells all I need to know about his development of young players. 

10 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I meant after the media asked him about it; no need to throw your young, talented but a but immature but player under the bus. He could have spoken to him in private and to the team behind closed doors.   Regarding development, no, it is more the players getting an opportunity to play because so many veterans were let go.  The fact that he has totally given up on Petty and Hack tells all I need to know about his development of young players. 

so he gets criticized when he does and doesn't call out a player(s)...As for the last sentence I've said all I will at this point.  

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

so he gets criticized when he does and doesn't call out a player(s)...As for the last sentence I've said all I will at this point.  

No problem, we can agree to disagree.  One thing appears pretty apparent; this team is going no where with Bowles

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If Q comes back next year, they could have 3 good WR with a pass catching TE for the first time in....   ever?

Just need a QB, LT, RT, Center, Running back and a QB.  (I said that twice, cause they need one)

Too true Rob

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Could be gone tomorrow 

The most upsetting part of this, he was one of the few bright spots on the team last year, and going forward. Now he's just thrown that away. It looks like the GM's plans maybe modified now, we may be spending Big on WR in FA  where before not so much.

Archived