The real question - Have the Jets shown enough progress?

Freemanm

I would go with a yes just on this franchise getting roughly average or better performances at the QB position in 2 out of the past 3 seasons. That gives me hope if they hand the job to someone who isn’t 40 and has a fastball they may keep it up and even improve dramatically. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2017 at 12:57 PM, Beerfish said:

i love it when the coaches preach accountability and the never give up attitude and then simply give up during a game.

Yesterday was a degrading and pathetic display of not even trying, it was worse than kicking a fg vs the pats when we are down by 45 or whatever it was.

Spot on. You play to win the game.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, Kevin L said:

IMO, the only player who has progressed is Robbie Anderson. Maybe Darron Lee, too.

Everyone else is either the same, or even taken a step back.

I'd say Demario Davis has become a much better player than the last time he was here.  

Very happy with Kearse.  He's a keeper.

Beyond that, I have to start reaching to come up with names...

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'd say Demario Davis has become a much better player than the last time he was here.  

Very happy with Kearse.  He's a keeper.

Beyond that, I have to start reaching to come up with names...

Davis and Kearse are playing well for the most part, but they're established vets who have proved they can play in this league. 

IMO, this coaching staff gets no credit for "developing" them.

For all of the good things the coaches have done this season, the coaches admitted that they stopped trying last week. On top of that players are still showing up late to meetings and practices. 

Bowles does not have the respect of his players. And frankly considering what happened in Denver, he doesn't deserve it.

Mac should have been fired on Draft Day. I'm tired of repeating why.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, joewilly12 said:

We are a mediocre football team that occasionally beats a good team and occasionally loses to a bad team, there is no consistency here on a good level. 

Mediocre comes from the term medium, which would be average.  Average would, by definition be 8 and 8 applying simple mathematics.

My good man... we will not be 8 and 8.  We are not even mediocre. ?

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

So if we went 0-16, Bowles would’ve been judged on something else? If you’re not winning, which Bowles isn’t, then I don’t care how much progress youve made, you’re just not good enough b

Agreed... I’m so sick and fukkin tired of the so called good fans here saying how good we have been etc.  They defend Rex and Herm and Woody and now Bowles for “over achieving”. That’s horse shlt,  Parcells for all his faults was spot on.  

Your record says everything. 

Yes they have improved and they are better than last year; the key the organization has to see is do they have a real long term plan, that is Bowles & Mac?

If not?  Then both should fired, period.

No discussion; FIRE THEM!!!

Management Principal 101 is Planning.  No organization in the world can survive without proper planning.

And if they, Mac & Bowles, have a plan that includes an upgrade at the QB position, that doesn't include another journeyman QB then they will be retained; it is simple as that.....

On 12/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

ANd that is the point that I'm trying to ascertain with my thread. Whether the predictions were bogus or not, they did better than people thought they would do. 

I think that it points to Bowles rather than Macc.

Bowles has done two good things this season. For the most part, the players have played hard for him. And he brought in John Morton

The played hard part is mostly a myth and pretty much ALL teams play hard. But how many HC and OC combos in the NFL have actually given up on a game this year like the Jets did other than them. Other than Anderson this Jets regime has pretty much not developed anyway. We need a totally new direction. Morton has shown some good things, but has also professed a desire for veteran QBs which is not the future of this franchise. 

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yes they have improved and they are better than last year; the key the organization has to see is do they have a real long term plan, that is Bowles & Mac?

Management Principal 101 is Planning.  No organization in the world can survive without proper planning.

And if they, Mac & Bowles, have a plan that includes an upgrade at the QB position, that doesn't include another journeyman QB then they will be retained; it is simple as that.....

I think that is my biggest grief with this FO and HC.  Their actions don’t illustrate any long term vision.  

38 yo QB with never any consideration to playing anyone else despite no chance at playoffs.

Still giving Forte carries over a healthy Powell.

Playing Kerley over getting Stewart and Hanson some game experience.  The only reason Hanson has been on the field was because Kerley’s suspension.

There is no long term plan.  And it is apparent that they have two options at QB for 2018, Cousins or McCown.  We all know who Bowles wants.

Would be interesting to know how much the culture needed to change or has changed from Rex, it appears from Mo and some of of the other old guard that they were used to a different level of "freedom" or motivation

Revis did not seem motivated last year, Sheldon the same, not sure Harris has started a game in NE, just seems like players that were productive in 2016 fell off the map, could be age related but feels like something else...

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Would be interesting to know how much the culture needed to change or has changed from Rex, it appears from Mo and some of of the other old guard that they were used to a different level of "freedom" or motivation

Revis did not seem motivated last year, Sheldon the same, not sure Harris has started a game in NE, just seems like players that were productive in 2016 fell off the map, could be age related but feels like something else...

I mean you look at Richardson, Wilkerson and Revis. All holdovers from the Rex era. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean you look at Richardson, Wilkerson and Revis. All holdovers from the Rex era. 

agree, ego's pumped up, don't think they get the same rah rah speech from Todd and maybe that is a good thing, we are not seeing it on the field so not sure which is better unless they needed to clean up the entire locker room to change the culture, seems extreme but this seems like 2014/2015 again

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

agree, ego's pumped up, don't think they got the same rah rah speech from Todd and maybe that is a good thing, we are not seeing it on the field so not sure which is better unless they needed to clean up the entire locker room to change the culture, seems extreme but this is 2015 again

IN terms of demeanor, I think Todd is better than Rex. However, he is horrible at game management.

That's why I want them to get a guy like Pat Shurmur

On 12/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, nico002 said:

You guys are ridiculous.

im not a Bowles fan but before last week he was a legit coach of the year candidate. No one had had the jets winning more than 4 games, and we’ve been on the fringe of a GREAT season ignore not for close losses to NE, Car, alt- all legit contenders.

Are you f*cking kidding? Seriously? They BLEW the Pats game, Falcons game, Fins game, didn't even show up for the Bucs or Broncos, my god man, what games are you watching?

The Browns had 429 yards of offense & that was with a combo of Kizer & his backup and no Josh Gordon. Is there anyone on this site that believes that next week if the Jets were playing the Browns instead of getting them early in the season we could beat that team on the road?

No freaking way! With Petty playing, now it's truly even for Hue Jackson even though his starter is a green azz rookie!

I am so torn on this situation, I do think the team is better than last year and is showing more effort (outside of Mo) but I don't have any sort of stat to back it up. I lean towards keeping him another year because I think good candidates won't come here if we are so quick to give up on a coach.

I do like what Macc has done for the most part. Coming from Idzik and Tanny though that may be because they were so bad. I'm willing to wait until next year because from the contracts/moves he's made it looks like he knew 2018 was the year we'd push all the chips in on a QB. 

If you consider beating bottom feeder teams and getting lucky winning a few games then NO. 

I want a Jets team that plays dominate football from start to finish and is capable of beating any team in the league regardless of the situation. 

With Todd Bowles we never know what team shows up to play. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

If you consider beating bottom feeder teams and getting lucky winning a few games then NO. 

I want a Jets team that plays dominate football from start to finish and is capable of beating any team in the league regardless of the situation. 

With Todd Bowles we never know what team shows up to play. 

We know this...they never show up for road games. Going back to that debacle in 2015 win & in game in Buffalo! Holy sh*t, think about that game for a moment. The Bills spent the better part of a week digging out from a monster snowstorm, the entire team were packing their bags & golf clubs getting ready to close the season & go home. Rex was a dead man walking & everyone knew it. Yet Bowles couldn't get them to show up. OMG, just pitiful.

Fast forward almost 2 years later & here we are with 4 road wins in that span. One against a team in the Bills in the beginning of last year, the Browns twice who are 2-29, and the 4-25 San Francisco 49ers. So Todd Bowles has only beaten on the road in almost 2 years the Bills, who are under .500 over the last 2 years, and 2 other teams with a COMBINED RECORD of 6-54. And there are still Jet fans talking about CONTINUITY! Lmao! What exactly are you continuing? 

Are you f*cking kidding? Seriously? They BLEW the Pats game, Falcons game, Fins game, didn't even show up for the Bucs or Broncos, my god man, what games are you watching?

The Browns had 429 yards of offense & that was with a combo of Kizer & his backup and no Josh Gordon. Is there anyone on this site that believes that next week if the Jets were playing the Browns instead of getting them early in the season we could beat that team on the road?

No freaking way! With Petty playing, now it's truly even for Hue Jackson even though his starter is a green azz rookie!

They weren’t suppose to even make it a game! That’s the point. Statistically the game should have been over at halftime. Not determined by a TD being called back. Smh! Some people don’t see either because they don’t know football or they refuse to see.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The only reason I do NOT want Bowles fired this season, is because I do not believe there are can't candidates. I don't envision us luring Gruden or Cowher either. Bowles is not the guy. The Jets will NOT win with this guy. I would even be in favor of letting him go and giving one of our coaches a chance, preferably John Morton. 

27 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The only reason I do NOT want Bowles fired this season, is because I do not believe there are can't candidates. I don't envision us luring Gruden or Cowher either. Bowles is not the guy. The Jets will NOT win with this guy. I would even be in favor of letting him go and giving one of our coaches a chance, preferably John Morton. 

John Morton is a QUITTER no thanks.

31 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sooo...just a question....

Did Morton 'dial it back', or did Bowles?

Just wondering.

No way we'll really know.  But I believe that while it's possible Bowles told Morton to dial it back, there's no way Morton did it on his own without Bowles' approval.  So in any scenario, Bowles has to own the choice.

17 hours ago, Ghost said:

Huh?  A random guy off the street would be an upgrade over Bowles as HC

Worst head coach since Kotite and the GM is horrific too

On 12/15/2017 at 10:36 PM, Charlie Brown said:

I'd love to see their strat plan.  I'd also like to know how Woody evaluates Macc and Bowles.  I sometimes doubt Woody has even heard of such a thing.

Archived