2017 First Round QBs Stronger than Rosen and Darnold?

MTJ06

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=562982&show_all=1

PFT/Florio: 2017 1st round QB's stronger than Rosen/Darnold

Vin_Cuccs : 10:38 pm
On the halftime show on NBC, Mike Florio just made an interesting comment. 

He said he spoke to several scouts and personnel people in the league, and they all agreed that the 2017 first-round quarterback class of DeShaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and Mitchell Trubisky is stronger than the combination of Rosen and Darnold.

Now I'm no professional, but we've been hearing for about a year that the potential and sheer talent of Rosen and Darnold is generational.

I don't recall Trubisky or Mahomes being highly touted. I feel like there were mixed opinions on Watson.

Beyond Rosen and Darnold, Allen, Jackson, and Mayfield round out a very strong QB class. And that doesn't even account for other strong prospects such as Rudolph, Lock, and Falk.

Is Florio full of it, or is everyone overrating Rosen and Darnold?

Ahhh....hindsight is always 20/20.  Since these guys showed a modicum of success in their 1st year of play, it's easy to make this statement when the book is still out on the 2018 class.

If they had all outright sucked, he would have said the opposite, like 'told ya!'

Can I get a reality check here?  Mahomes played in one game, threw for good yardage but 1 INT and no TDs, got sacked twice and rushed 7 times for a total of 10 yards.  Trubisky played in 12 games, threw 7 TDs and 7 INTs and got sacked 31 times!  Watson was great before his injury.  So based on that, Florio has engraved the class in Canton and we care why?

No idea if Darnold/Rosen/et al will be better than this last class or not, but I sincerely doubt any legitimate scouts are making that claim with their name on it.

29 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=562982&show_all=1

PFT/Florio: 2017 1st round QB's stronger than Rosen/Darnold

Vin_Cuccs : 10:38 pm
On the halftime show on NBC, Mike Florio just made an interesting comment. 

He said he spoke to several scouts and personnel people in the league, and they all agreed that the 2017 first-round quarterback class of DeShaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and Mitchell Trubisky is stronger than the combination of Rosen and Darnold.

Now I'm no professional, but we've been hearing for about a year that the potential and sheer talent of Rosen and Darnold is generational.

I don't recall Trubisky or Mahomes being highly touted. I feel like there were mixed opinions on Watson.

Beyond Rosen and Darnold, Allen, Jackson, and Mayfield round out a very strong QB class. And that doesn't even account for other strong prospects such as Rudolph, Lock, and Falk.

Is Florio full of it, or is everyone overrating Rosen and Darnold?

Everyone overrating Rosen and Darnold.

Mike Florio's job isn't to evaluate QBs pro potential, its to increase the profitability of PFF and his personal brand, and you do that by generating clicks on your articles.

Does anyone on this board actually think that Mitchel Trubisky - who couldn't beat out a guy who didnt even sniff the NFL is a better professional QB prospect then Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen?  If your life depended on the outcome of a game would you take Pat Mahomes over Sam Darnold?

This stuff is all fluff for these writers, you need to sift through it and watch the guys play

Pure speculation. At this point I do think Rosen/Darnold are over-hyped and it wouldn't surprise me if one failed but ALL QB's who have shown progress or done great things in college are over-hyped at this time of the year. How many over-hyped guys were drafted in the first 5 picks and failed? The list is endless. I could list them but we all know them. That's why the draft is a crap shoot most times and hindsight is always 20/20.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Every QB needy team will have their dreams come true!!!  Especially the Jets!!!

In the 1983 class only 1 in the top 10 Elway turned out great.. Jim Kelly was pick 14 and Marino was pick 27.. Pick 7 Blackledge sucked and then you had Eason at 15 and Feet of stone Kenny at 24..

Florio is full of sh!t (as usual).  

I live in NC and can’t find one single NC fan that thought Trubisky should have been drafted that high.  As good as Watson was this season, his frame leaves him vulnerable.  And we haven’t seen anything but a week 17 mop up from Mahomes.

Darnold and Rosen both ran at least a modified pro style system.  Rosen’s mechanics are better than anyone from last year’s draft.  His only knock is that he is politically vocal and his stand doesn’t coincide with greedy billionaires.  And despite Darnold’s perceived struggles this season, I can’t imagine any team taking Trubisky over him.  His accuracy is better than 2/3s of the current starting QBs in the NFL.

While I don’t believe a word out of Blo hard Florio, I hope Cleveland and the NYG feel the same way.

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

In the 1983 class only 1 in the top 10 Elway turned out great.. Jim Kelly was pick 14 and Marino was pick 27.. Pick 7 Blackledge sucked and then you had Eason at 15 and Feet of stone Kenny at 24..

So of that class, only Blackledge was really a bust.  The rest are all amongst the better QB's in the franchises histories.

16 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Another comp would be 1999.  Five QBs taken in first 12 picks.  McNabb was very good.  Culpepper has a few good years.  Akili Smith, Couch and McNown were all useless.  So 1 of the 5 was worth the pick.  Interestingly, Aaron Brooks was taken in the 4th round of that draft (around the 10th QB taken) and was pretty much the 2nd best of the class.  Some good cautionary tales in this.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So of that class, only Blackledge was really a bust.  The rest are all amongst the better QB's in the franchises histories.

My point was you don't have to be top 10 to be great..And I know Kenny was your guy growing up but to me he wasn't a franchise QB where Elway,Kelly and Marino were..;)

I think Darnold/Rosen and Mayfield are the first 3 off the board. It is conceivable that all 3 will be gone by the time the Jets pick. I could see it happening. The combine will tell the tale and two out of the first 5 picks will be QB's I am sure of it. 3 could go in the top 5 very easily and I believe Denver will pick a QB as well. The Jets could be picking at 6 with the top 3 guys off the board. Sucks huh?

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

My point was you don't have to be top 10 to be great..

I agree. 

Of course we have far more recent example (Brady) that proves that point as well.  If I recall, didn't a certain Mr. Aaron Rodgers a late 1st?  Wasn't Brett Favre a 2nd, and then cast away from the team that drafted him?  Etc.

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And I know Kenny was your guy growing up but to me he wasn't a franchise QB where Elway,Kelly and Marino were..;)

I never said "Franchise QB".  I said bust.  Kenny O' was not an Elway, Kelly or Marino, he was clearly a step beneath them.  But he was also one of our best ever QB's, it's frankly not even debatable to any objective observer.  So he clearly wasn't a bust.  Browning Nagle is a bust, for example.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Florio is full of sh!t (as usual).  

I live in NC and can’t find one single NC fan that thought Trubisky should have been drafted that high.  As good as Watson was this season, his frame leaves him vulnerable.  And we haven’t seen anything but a week 17 mop up from Mahomes.

Darnold and Rosen both ran at least a modified pro style system.  Rosen’s mechanics are better than anyone from last year’s draft.  His only knock is that he is politically vocal and his stand doesn’t coincide with greedy billionaires.  And despite Darnold’s perceived struggles this season, I can’t imagine any team taking Trubisky over him.  His accuracy is better than 2/3s of the current starting QBs in the NFL.

While I don’t believe a word out of Blo hard Florio, I hope Cleveland and the NYG feel the same way.

Rosen's major knock is that he has had surgery on his throwing shoulder, and two concussions.   Not a good bet for the 1/2 pick in the draft.

I'm all in on Darnold & def would try offering Cleveland the farm for him

the others I can sway back & forth on ... I have a hard time offering too much to trade up to 3 if Darnold & Rosen are both off the board though :(

I get a kick out of this stuff.

Random Fan:  "These talking heads are ridiculous!  Just trying to save face.  They weren't saying this last year!"

Same Random Fan:  "I don't care what Darnold did this year!  I was all over him in May and results be damned, he's still a once in a generation QB!"

Maybe it's just not the talking heads always trying to save face.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I get a kick out of this stuff.

Random Fan:  "These talking heads are ridiculous!  Just trying to save face.  They weren't saying this last year!"

Same Random Fan:  "I don't care what Darnold did this year!  I was all over him in May and results be damned, he's still a once in a generation QB!"

Maybe it's just not the talking heads always trying to save face.

Not sure who or what you are actually referring to ... But as you posted this right after my " all in" on Darnold post ... I'll respond.

i believe Darnold is legit ... JMO ... Haven't said different last year or this year ... Could care less about bragging rights a year from now ... But I would LOVE if Cleveland is somehow dumb enough to trade him for this years 1,2,2 & next years 1,2  

Archived