Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield?

Sarge4Tide

Cousins or Mayfield?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. if it came down to signing Kirk Cousins or drafting Baker Mayfield, I would....

• Strongly Prefer Signing Cousins
    • Slightly Prefer Signing Cousins
    • Have no preference between the two
    • Slightly Prefer Drafting Mayfield
    • Strongly Prefer Drafting Mayfield

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

You forgot sign Cousins AND draft Baker Mayfield at 6. I do both. For too long this team has hungered for stability behind the Center. You know if Macc signs Cousins there will be an out in there somewhere and then its Baker Time!!

This guy gets it. No reason to not hege your bets here

Seriously THO - they really are in a position to get both. 

I am at sign Cousins and sell the 6 pick to the Bengals or some other QB hungry franchise willing to bet on this class. If GM guy passed on Watson I see no reason to believe they love anyone in this draft.

Sign Cousins, sell pick, draft a pass rusher 

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You forgot sign Cousins AND draft Baker Mayfield at 6. I do both. For too long this team has hungered for stability behind the Center. You know if Macc signs Cousins there will be an out in there somewhere and then its Baker Time!!

That would be the jets way ha. So that means we waste another high draft pick on a player who won’t play. And take a lot of $$ for a qb. Doubling up make sense if you don’t have many holes. We have a ton of holes. I don’t see us being very competitive until at least 19. By then mayfield should be ready. Unless we can trade cousins for picks if Baker is ready in a yr. Then we get picks and clear lot of cap for all holes we have. Guess the question must ask is. Are we a playoff contender in 18 with Cousins ? Unless Johnsons are ready to spend to max, I highly doubt we are. 

I slightly prefer Cousins because I see it as more likely to happen, and it is easier for the Jets to try and make Cousins happen, whereas Mayfield could be gone when the Jets pick.  

I do think Mayfield has more upside and is the "guttsier" move.

If MacBowles were starting new, I could see them drafting Mayfield like Ryan drafted Sanchez.  But their backs are against the wall.  

If I am them I am offering Cousins an ENORMOUS amount of money and then using the cap room and draft picks to put together the rest of the team.   That is a playoff team in 2018.

If that does not work, sign McCown and try and get Mayfield.  If Mayfield is gone, trade down and look for Falk or Rudolph.  Develop him and keep trying.  

No Alex Smith.  No Josh Allen unless something really changes.  It was clear from practice that Hack could not hit a screen pass.  Maybe Allen can prove something different at the Senior Bowl.  It was pointed out that Hack did not play in the Senior Bowl.....Mac was SO duped.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I slightly prefer Cousins because I see it as more likely to happen, and it is easier for the Jets to try and make Cousins happen, whereas Mayfield could be gone when the Jets pick.  

I do think Mayfield has more upside and is the "guttsier" move.

If MacBowles were starting new, I could see them drafting Mayfield like Ryan drafted Sanchez.  But their backs are against the wall.  

If I am them I am offering Cousins an ENORMOUS amount of money and then using the cap room and draft picks to put together the rest of the team.   That is a playoff team in 2018.

If that does not work, sign McCown and try and get Mayfield.  If Mayfield is gone, trade down and look for Falk or Rudolph.  Develop him and keep trying.  

No Alex Smith.  No Josh Allen unless something really changes.  It was clear from practice that Hack could not hit a screen pass.  Maybe Allen can prove something different at the Senior Bowl.  It was pointed out that Hack did not play in the Senior Bowl.....Mac was SO duped.

He came out as a junior.

The Jets aren't signing Kirk Cousins to some sort of mega-deal that pays him in excess of $65M over its first two years (making it nearly impossible for Washington to match) just to turn around and take another QB at #6. Signing Cousins means going all in with him, and the next five picks will be all about building a stronger team around him. So yeah, maybe a QB in the fifth round. 

Jets then don't look to draft a QB high until Cousins implodes. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That would be the jets way ha. So that means we waste another high draft pick on a player who won’t play. And take a lot of $$ for a qb. Doubling up make sense if you don’t have many holes. We have a ton of holes. I don’t see us being very competitive until at least 19. By then mayfield should be ready. Unless we can trade cousins for picks if Baker is ready in a yr. Then we get picks and clear lot of cap for all holes we have. Guess the question must ask is. Are we a playoff contender in 18 with Cousins ? Unless Johnsons are ready to spend to max, I highly doubt we are. 

DISAGREE. QB's get hurt all the time. You can never underestimate the value of having a capable back-up. Ask any team that has had aspirations to win it all and lost their QB. Drafting Mayfield after signing Cousins is not folly just planing for the future. I don't think any QB drafted this year is ready to go right out of the gate. IF they draft a QB they will have to sign a capable vet until that drafted QB is ready. Would it want it to be Cousins? At his asking price? Probably not. That wasn't the question asked at the beginning of the thread though. I want them to use FA to fill some holes on Defense and Offense. Its hard to say who to sign because you don't know who will be tagged or stay with their respective teams. I believe Cousins will be out there I just don't think he comes to the Jets no matter how much they throw at him. I see Elway landing Cousins. Somehow, someway I think Cousins is a Bronco. Just a feeling I have.

Cousins in materially better today.  But his cost as catastrophically high (28-30 mil a year for presumably 5-6 years minimum).

I prefer Baker Mayfield at pick #6.  And two O-linemen in the 2nd.  And Alex Smith via trade.

And instead, spend our funds on additional Offensive talent, RB, More O0linemen (young ones pref.), a TE if one is available.

But either would/should vastly improve our QB spot going forward.

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Voted strongly prefer Mayfield when what I mean is that I strongly prefer they draft the guy who they think is the best QB available to them. I think this board is a little Mayfield crazy. 

I voted strongly for Cousins. If this said Rosen or Darnold, my answer would likely change. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cousins in materially better today.  But his cost as catastrophically high (28-30 mil a year for presumably 5-6 years minimum).

I prefer Baker Mayfield at pick #6.  And two O-linemen in the 2nd.  And Alex Smith via trade.

And instead, spend our funds on additional Offensive talent, RB, More O0linemen (young ones pref.), a TE if one is available.

But either would/should vastly improve our QB spot going forward.

Nothing about a Kirk Cousins contract will be catastrophically high. The sky wouldn’t fall and the Jets would still have plenty of money to bring in offensive lineman and draft playmakers. Also, giving up any asset for a year rental of Alex Smith is foolish. 

There are two key variables here that can sway the thinking...

1) What are you paying Cousins?

Paying Cousins, yet keeping the 3 picks (and not spending one on a QB) to spend on support can really help the team continue to build the core and have the team competing much sooner. But you lose $30mm or so in cap space.  But you still have $70mm which is plenty.

2) What are you giving up to trade up for Mayfield?

You're likely going to have to give up both 2's and #6 - to get up to 3 to get Mayfield.  You'll have the extra $30mm or so in cap space.

It's a tricky choice - I go with Mayfield as I'm all in on building this team from the ground up and finding our home grown franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Barring injury, Cousins has basically 100% chance of being (continuing to be) a top-10 QB for the next 3-5 years. What are the chances of Baker Mayfield becoming a top-10 QB?

Easy call for me. 

How did any fan feel about any current top 10 QB before they became a top 10 QB though?

give me BAKER THE PLAYMAKER

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There are two key variables here that can sway the thinking...

1) What are you paying Cousins?

Paying Cousins, yet keeping the 3 picks (and not spending one on a QB) to spend on support can really help the team continue to build the core and have the team competing much sooner. But you lose $30mm or so in cap space.  But you still have $70mm which is plenty.

2) What are you giving up to trade up for Mayfield?

You're likely going to have to give up both 2's and #6 - to get up to 3 to get Mayfield.  You'll have the extra $30mm or so in cap space.

It's a tricky choice - I go with Mayfield as I'm all in on building this team from the ground up and finding our home grown franchise QB.

Don’t think you have to give up both 2’s...really don’t.

i can see #6 ONE of your 2nds and a pick next year.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I voted strongly for Cousins. If this said Rosen or Darnold, my answer would likely change. 

Nothing about a Kirk Cousins contract will be catastrophically high. The sky wouldn’t fall and the Jets would still have plenty of money to bring in offensive lineman and draft playmakers. Also, giving up any asset for a year rental of Alex Smith is foolish. 

Agreed, I think there's too much put on this - with all the cap space the Jets have $30mm really isn't all that much.  I mean, spending $100mm well - will actually be pretty difficult.  There just aren't that many quality free agents to justify that spend.  Frontload the contract, sign 2 or 3 impact players, draft 3 players in the top 50..

Cousins is honestly a very intriguing option.

I am a Mayfield guy but the argument for Cousins is legitimate. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t think you have to give up both 2’s...really don’t.

i can see #6 ONE of your 2nds and a pick next year.

with this many QB hungry teams - I think it's more likely it'll cost more than 2's than less than 2's.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

My thoughts, as of now:

1) no way mccagnan takes a short qb with a history of attitdute issues.  No way.  He likes his qbs tall.

2) also, no way mccags ties a mega amount of cap space up with cousins.  He got burned by wilk and revis, and his overall prudence will supersede his desire for a franchise qb, especially one who is 30.

3) if mccags can't get darnold or Rosen for a reasonable price, i think the guy he will target is Lamar Jackson, not mayfield.  

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

with this many QB hungry teams - I think it's more likely it'll cost more than 2's than less than 2's.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

The team trading out is going to be more interested in our #6 pick this year than anything under it. That’s the catch. Denver is the only team above us that is really QB hungry. Bengals, ect, etc will have to pay more than us and they also don’t have as much extra ammo as us.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

The team trading out is going to be more interested in our #6 pick this year than anything under it. That’s the catch. Denver is the only team above us that is really QB hungry. Bengals, ect, etc will have to pay more than us and they also don’t have as much extra ammo as us.

I hear ya..and honestly I think it's Denver or the Jets that land Cousins - if Cousin goes to Denver the price gets much cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My thoughts, as of now:

1) no way mccagnan takes a short qb with a history of attitdute issues.  No way.  He likes his qbs tall.

2) also, no way mccags ties a mega amount of cap space up with cousins.  He got burned by wilk and revis, and his overall prudence will supersede his desire for a franchise qb, especially one who is 30.

3) if mccags can't get darnold or Rosen for a reasonable price, i think the guy he will target is Lamar Jackson, not mayfield.  

If we assume your 1 and 2 are correct - Allen seems more like a Mac guy than Jackson.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My thoughts, as of now:

If this happens I will seriously flip my sh*t. I will be BEYOND done with this regime. With that said..height advantage or not..Jackson is the biggest project QB in the first round discussion. If he was scared of Watson’s spread background last year, he definitely isn’t going Jackson this year. Jackson isn’t a pure passer. He’s a gimmick. He also hinted he wouldn’t put all his money into a guy to only play 1-3 years...aka Cousins. He also said he would move up if he liked a prospect enligh..so If you read between the lines of the very few comments he has made...he is probably thinking about going QB in the draft and trading up if he has to.

50 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

DISAGREE. QB's get hurt all the time. You can never underestimate the value of having a capable back-up. Ask any team that has had aspirations to win it all and lost their QB. Drafting Mayfield after signing Cousins is not folly just planing for the future. I don't think any QB drafted this year is ready to go right out of the gate. IF they draft a QB they will have to sign a capable vet until that drafted QB is ready. Would it want it to be Cousins? At his asking price? Probably not. That wasn't the question asked at the beginning of the thread though. I want them to use FA to fill some holes on Defense and Offense. Its hard to say who to sign because you don't know who will be tagged or stay with their respective teams. I believe Cousins will be out there I just don't think he comes to the Jets no matter how much they throw at him. I see Elway landing Cousins. Somehow, someway I think Cousins is a Bronco. Just a feeling I have.

I agree on that. But that has nothing to do with my point. A rookie qb is not a capable backup first of all. Josh McCown would be. Mayfield would be a project, not next man up for injury. You would be basically saying, mayfield is not ready to play but, ohh well due to injury we are throwing the kid to the wolves with little supporting pieces because we used a lot of $$ on our injuried qb, and used our top pick on you kid ha. You don’t waste such a valuable pick like #6 overall for a backup. Not when you have ton of holes. Just like you don’t waste a 2nd rd pick on a qb who can’t even take a snap in a play for nothing season.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya..and honestly I think it's Denver or the Jets that land Cousins - if Cousin goes to Denver the price gets much cheaper. 

Oh yea! For sure. Hey, if Denver gets Cousins we are pretty much in the clear for one of the top 3. Of course there is always the possibility a team tries to trade up and jump us..but we also have the funds and desire to move up so expect us to make that move first if Macc feels like someone is going to jump us. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh yea! For sure. Hey, if Denver gets Cousins we are pretty much in the clear for one of the top 3. Of course there is always the possibility a team tries to trade up and jump us..but we also have the funds and desire to move up so expect us to make that move first if Macc feels like someone is going to jump us. 

If bills want to jump us for qb, they easily can. They have truck load of picks. I’m curious if they stick will Taylor or not.

Archived