Rumor Mill from Senior Bowl 1/24

Patriot Killa

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Seems logical to me

Johnson might’ve been the worst starting center in the league in ‘17 and Carpenter’s play has fallen off in addition to being in the last year of his deal.

4 players on the OL NEED to be replaced:

Center

Iljalana or w/e

Dozier

Harrison

No clue what’s Qvale’s deal but probably/maybe him too for five

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Totally fine by me if they land Cousins.

Hell, if the Jets get Cousins, Chubb would be at the top of my wishlist at #6 if he falls.

You know the only thing that would happen is Fitzpatrick.  We will have threads for weeks.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A couple of notes from watching the North practice from the Senior Bowl. 

- Baker Mayfield can probably step into the NFL and start day 1. He may be limited by his size, but he appears to be a sharp kid that can make reads, go through progressions and use his athleticism to make plays. 

- You can see why so many people love Josh Allen. He has much better arm strength and size than Baker. Watching interviews you can also see that he is a good kid. He is also not as erratic as some make it seem. I don't think he is a 2 year project. I actually think in the right system, with the right coaching, he can step in right away and play. He made some really great throws into tight windows today. Some with a rocket arm, some with light touch. He also overthrew a couple of passes over guys heads, but I didn't notice too many flat out awful throws that I was expecting. 

- Allen Lazard- Kid was catching every pass thrown to him. 

- Mike Gesicki- As  PSU fan, I have seen a ton of this kid and love him. He looked even better today at the Senior Bowl practice. Kid is an athletic 6-6, 250lb kid. He catches everything. Has good moves to get open and is great at catching balls thrown high which makes him near impossible to cover by most Lbers or DBs. 

- Marcus Davenport- Watch this kid on Saturday. I can guarantee he will make big plays and lock up a top 10 draft spot. If we sign Cousins, I could see the Jets taking this kid to finally be our edge rusher. 

Davenport was practicing down there and doing the drills with his hand in the dirt at DE.  What do you think of him standing in the 3-4?  Would love to see that.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Davenport was practicing down there and doing the drills with his hand in the dirt at DE.  What do you think of him standing in the 3-4?  Would love to see that.

He can definitely produce in the 3-4 or 4-3. And he's not just some workout warrior, he was great in college and by all accounts plays hard every down. While I  have seen more of Chubb/Key, I am more impressed with Davenport at this point.

I have a hunch he will put on a show Saturday. 

As long as the Jets end up taking a QB in the first round this year, I don't care who it is or where he is picked.  All I care about is that the current regime have finally smartened up enough to know that QB is king and is the key to building a consistently competitive franchise.  There are no guarantees that whoever they pick will pan out, but it will satisfy me as a fan to know that they went all in. 

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Excited to give $19 million to some other guy we’ll want to find a replacement for in three years.

Sometimes need doesn't match WANT in free agency. This year we NEED a QB, a Center, a guard & we'll have 105 million to spend. Can we land what we need is the question. With Cousins?,  Richburg, Jensen, Norwell, available it's imperative we go 2 out of 3.

The last time we were in this situation we signed Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Carpenter, Cromarty. 

Every single player available at positions of need we will target are younger than these guys were. Cousins, Richburg or Jensen, Norwell, Landry, Fuller, Johnson, Gaines.

The only question mark is WILL the guys we target sign with the Jets? Norwell is better than Carpenter, Richburg or Jensen are way better than Johnson, any one of the trio of corners are better & much younger than Revis/Skrine/Cromarty. And obviously Cousins is better than any QB the Jets have had since Testeverde, but Kirk has way less turnovers. 

11 hours ago, prime21 said:

You know the only thing that would happen is Fitzpatrick.  We will have threads for weeks.

If Macc landed Johnson/Gaines/ or Fuller & signed Cousins, drafted Minkah, I wouldn't complain having a high 2nd pick! Johnson/Fuller/Gaines with Minkah, Adams-Maye-Brooks? I would be pumped! Jet fans are soured on CBs at the top of the draft because that idiot took Milliner (injury waiting to happen). That's like saying we missed on Sanchez so Rosen drops in your lap & you pass. 

On 1/24/2018 at 4:22 AM, Patriot Killa said:

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from around the league on day three of the 2018 Senior Bowl week. 

The New York Jets are one of the teams that will figure heavily into the quarterback discussion. Earlier this week, we reported how the Jets plan on being active in free agency. Jets sources indicate that the quarterback need is more likely to be filled in the draft. Sources with the New York are being very tight-lipped on their thoughts about the first-round quarterbacks. That being said, after speaking with top evaluators at the team, my gut feeling is telling me that Wyoming's Josh Allen is their favorite among the quarterback prospects. General manager Mike Maccagnan has preferred big quarterbacks, and Allen certainly fits that description. New York also has ammo to move up for the quarterback they want with two second-round picks and four total selections in top 72. 

It's starting to look like Mac has a weakness for big guys with big arms, mediocre footwork and low completion percentages.  I don't care how tall he is, I expect Mafield to be a much better pro than Allen. 

On 1/24/2018 at 5:40 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, I guess you are right. I just hate the thought, period. Macc is very tight lipped ..I don’t expect much to come out until March.

I do know that Mac traveled to see Allen in person this year.  Maybe all of them, who knows, but I heard Mac mentioned in a Wyoming game for being there scouting Allen. 

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I do know that Mac traveled to see Allen in person this year.  Maybe all of them, who knows, but I heard Mac mentioned in a Wyoming game for being there scouting Allen. 

I know he was there for Darnold vs Rosen. Don’t know much about his interest in Mayfield.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Allen going one is best case scenario to me, but i just don't see how that happens. Think if they really like allen they trade down from one for someone looking at rosen. 

Ain't going to happen.  He looks the part.  His arm is strong.  He will probably have a pretty good forty time.  But if you can't complete 60% in college, why would it happen in the pros? #Hack2

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

That tweet is from November.

There is no reason to think anything has changed.  This is from Wednesday.  And no, I don't want the Jets to draft Allen.  Just getting nervous.  

This is from Wednesday

"The New York Jets are one of the teams that will figure heavily into the quarterback discussion. Earlier this week, we reported how the Jets plan on being active in free agency. Jets sources indicate that the quarterback need is more likely to be filled in the draft. Sources with the New York are being very tight-lipped on their thoughts about the first-round quarterbacks. That being said, after speaking with top evaluators at the team, my gut feeling is telling me that Wyoming's Josh Allen is their favorite among the quarterback prospects. General manager Mike Maccagnan has preferred big quarterbacks, and Allen certainly fits that description. New York also has ammo to move up for the quarterback they want with two second-round picks and four total selections in top 72. 

Two years ago, speaking to sources at the Jets and reading their reactions led to me nailing them taking Christian Hackenberg in the 2016 NFL Draft. Last year, I listened to them, and that led me having them pass on Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. While it is still early in the process, right now I feel that Allen seems to be the Jets' guy."

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php

:)

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

There is no reason to think anything has changed.  This is from Wednesday.  And no, I don't want the Jets to draft Allen.  Just getting nervous.  

This is from Wednesday

"The New York Jets are one of the teams that will figure heavily into the quarterback discussion. Earlier this week, we reported how the Jets plan on being active in free agency. Jets sources indicate that the quarterback need is more likely to be filled in the draft. Sources with the New York are being very tight-lipped on their thoughts about the first-round quarterbacks. That being said, after speaking with top evaluators at the team, my gut feeling is telling me that Wyoming's Josh Allen is their favorite among the quarterback prospects. General manager Mike Maccagnan has preferred big quarterbacks, and Allen certainly fits that description. New York also has ammo to move up for the quarterback they want with two second-round picks and four total selections in top 72. 

Two years ago, speaking to sources at the Jets and reading their reactions led to me nailing them taking Christian Hackenberg in the 2016 NFL Draft. Last year, I listened to them, and that led me having them pass on Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. While it is still early in the process, right now I feel that Allen seems to be the Jets' guy."

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php

:)

No, I’m with you. I fully expect Allen to be at or near the top of our board. Just wanted to clarify that this isn’t necessarily a new development.

32 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It's starting to look like Mac has a weakness for big guys with big arms, mediocre footwork and low completion percentages.  I don't care how tall he is, I expect Mafield to be a much better pro than Allen. 

I've also seen plenty of reports that the Jets really like Mayfield who is the opposite of that. What's the lesson? Ignore everything you hear leading up to the draft as most of it is a smoke screen. What are the odds that any team that wants Players X will be telling people that they want Player X so that the Team Y can trade up ahead of them to take that player? 

QB Josh Allen

usatsi_10560626.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Glenn Andrews-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets need a quarterback, but Josh Allen is considered the biggest project among the top arms in the draft.

Allen’s problems are his accuracy and footwork. The latter can be taught and improved through good coaching and learning behind a polished veteran, but accuracy is a different story. If you do not have accuracy in your early 20s, you most likely never will.

If you’re not accurate in college, it doesn’t magically change in the pros. Ppl asking to get fired

•  

Allen could very well be a good NFL quarterback, but this just not the risk the Jets should be willing to take. He’s the ideal prototype, but people said the same thing about Christian Hackenberg. Looks can be deceiving.

With Mike Maccagnan and company needing to hit the No. 6 pick out of the park, he just cannot take the risk of drafting Allen.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/26/2018-nfl-draft-4-senior-bowl-participants-the-jets-should-avoid/2/

QB Luke Falk

usatsi_10565384.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Luke Falk has impressed scouts in Mobile early on and many think he is a fit with New York’s West Coast offense.

A scout told me he thinks Luke Falk fits with the Jets West Coast offense.

The Jets should stay away from Falk, however. At Washington State, he never called plays in the huddle, never took 3-4-5 step drops, and threw a lot of bubble screens and quick passes. He played in an easy system.

Falk will rise up draft boards as quarterbacks always do, but if the Jets are planning on making him their signal caller of the future, they better think twice.

They’ve been down the project quarterback road two times under this regime and neither has shown a heartbeat of development. The Jets should stay away from Falk and any other project quarterback in this draft.

WR Michael Gallup

usatsi_10562706.jpg?w=1000&h=727

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

Wide receiver is not a pressing need for the Jets, but they could target the position free agency and the draft.

That said, they should avoid Michael Gallup.

The knock on Gallup is his route running ability. There is no question that he has all the tools to be successful, but scouts wonder if Gallup can put it all together at the next level. The Jets right now have enough young receivers who struggle at route running, so taking another would just not make sense.

Gallup is not a bad prospect, but the Jets should be wary of spending a Day 2 choice on him.

DE Marcus Davenport

usatsi_10562355.jpg?w=1000&h=1012

(Edward A. Ornela /The San Antonio Express-News via AP)

This may come as a surprise, as we had Davenport listed under “6 players to watch at the Senior Bowl“, but he has not impressed at all in Mobile.

“He probably didn’t win as many one-on-one drills as I thought he would. He basically just showed bull rush all week long,” draft expert Mike Mayock explained. “He has great size and ability; he’s just very raw.”

Davenport is going to be a first-round pick for sure, but he is just not the type of pass rusher the Jets should be willing to take a risk on. He’s too unpolished and Maccagnan can’t be taking risks with his first-round selection

23 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Ain't going to happen.  He looks the part.  His arm is strong.  He will probably have a pretty good forty time.  But if you can't complete 60% in college, why would it happen in the pros? #Hack2

In a draft class with Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield, I would avoid Allen for that reason. But, Brett Favre finished his college career with 52pct completion pct (Matt Ryan finished at 59.9) and I think they (Favre/Allen) are comparable talents, in that they are strong arm gunslingers that went to small schools with a bad supporting cast. That's generally not a recipe for a high comp pct. While a kid like Mayfield played in a great offense that has produced many prolific QBs and had a great supporting cast. If Baker Mayfield had gotten a scholarship to play at Wyoming, are we talking about him today? Not sure. It's not like Mayfield turned Oklahoma around. That program's been winning and putting up big offensive numbers for years with guys like Bradford/Landry Jones. 

I don't think Allen is the next Favre, but I also think he is a far better prospect than Hack. He is more mobile and has better touch. My biggest reason for passing on Allen is that I don't trust Bowles to develop a kid like Allen. He needs a kid like Mayfield that is already NFL ready. 

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

QB Luke Falk

usatsi_10565384.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Luke Falk has impressed scouts in Mobile early on and many think he is a fit with New York’s West Coast offense.

A scout told me he thinks Luke Falk fits with the Jets West Coast offense.

The Jets should stay away from Falk, however. At Washington State, he never called plays in the huddle, never took 3-4-5 step drops, and threw a lot of bubble screens and quick passes. He played in an easy system.

Falk will rise up draft boards as quarterbacks always do, but if the Jets are planning on making him their signal caller of the future, they better think twice.

They’ve been down the project quarterback road two times under this regime and neither has shown a heartbeat of development. The Jets should stay away from Falk and any other project quarterback in this draft.

Luke Falk reminds me of Ken Obrien. Which isn't a terrible thing. He's not a mobile kid, doesn't have a huge arm, but is very accurate and is a natural passer. In the right system, with a great Oline, I think he can be a really good NFL QB. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Luke Falk reminds me of Ken Obrien. Which isn't a terrible thing. He's not a mobile kid, doesn't have a huge arm, but is very accurate and is a natural passer. In the right system, with a great Oline, I think he can be a really good NFL QB. 

Reminds me of Pennington before the injuries killed his arm strength

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Draft multiple qbs, cut Petty and Hack and stop wasting time with signing veterans

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

O'brien had a huge arm. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just sold me. I'll take Falk in the 2nd round.

Not to mention his cousin, Marshall, was a pretty darn good RB for the Rams back in the day.

Archived