Rumor Mill from Senior Bowl 1/24

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

O'brien had a huge arm. 

I was 9-10 years old when Obrien was drafted, but I remember him having great accuracy, throwing a nice deep ball, but not having a big arm like Marino. Falk can throw the ball deep also and has a nice arm, but he isn't going to WOW you with his arm like a Marino/Favre/Allen type QB. 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Luke Falk reminds me of Ken Obrien. Which isn't a terrible thing. He's not a mobile kid, doesn't have a huge arm, but is very accurate and is a natural passer. In the right system, with a great Oline, I think he can be a really good NFL QB. 

that actually can be a terrible thing.  Ken is vastly overrated by our fanbase.  He had a lot of highlight plays w/ his big arm and Toon and Walker to throw deep to but it was all or nothing w/ him.  He was drafted in 1983, months after we lost in AFC Championship and most experts thought the Jets were poised to be SB contenders for many years to come w/ all the young talent we had.  We never won a single playoff game Ken started BUT we did win one when Ken was benched and his backup started.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was 9-10 years old when Obrien was drafted, but I remember him having great accuracy, throwing a nice deep ball, but not having a big arm like Marino. Falk can throw the ball deep also and has a nice arm, but he isn't going to WOW you with his arm like a Marino/Favre/Allen type QB. 

For the young'uns

54 minutes ago, flgreen said:

QB Josh Allen

usatsi_10560626.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Glenn Andrews-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets need a quarterback, but Josh Allen is considered the biggest project among the top arms in the draft.

Allen’s problems are his accuracy and footwork. The latter can be taught and improved through good coaching and learning behind a polished veteran, but accuracy is a different story. If you do not have accuracy in your early 20s, you most likely never will.

If you’re not accurate in college, it doesn’t magically change in the pros. Ppl asking to get fired

•  

Allen could very well be a good NFL quarterback, but this just not the risk the Jets should be willing to take. He’s the ideal prototype, but people said the same thing about Christian Hackenberg. Looks can be deceiving.

With Mike Maccagnan and company needing to hit the No. 6 pick out of the park, he just cannot take the risk of drafting Allen.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/26/2018-nfl-draft-4-senior-bowl-participants-the-jets-should-avoid/2/

feel free to pass this on to woody, the QB whisperer

Joe Montana college stats....

image.png

edit: I stand corrected....looking over the college stats vs pro stats of 6-7 (Aikman, Brees, Kellen Clemens, Rivers, Kaepernick ) QBs their completion % doesn't vary all that much. Montana is an anomaly. 

On 1/24/2018 at 7:11 PM, Jack Straw said:

It’s going to be year four for Bowles and Maccagnan which means it’s make or break time for these two. The idea of them putting their careers on the line with a 1st round QB is enough for them to pass on drafting one.

The bottom line is they can’t afford to lose 10 games next year, and betting on rookie QB to exceed 6 wins is wishful thinking. So they won’t do it.

They’ll rearrange their draft board so all the QBs within striking distance at #6 are well below the next best DE/CB/WR, and they’ll sign a stop-gap QB who can wrestle them to 8 wins. They’ll then draft another 2nd round project QB they can “groom for the future” and do their best to extend their Jets’ careers for another year by preaching “we’ve made progress” over and over again.

I tend to disagree with this.  I think the only way they can get another couple of years is by drafting a QB and and asking for patience.  Plus 8 wins is probably a reach for this team anyway.

If Josh Allen turns out to be even close to a Brett Favre, Wentz type of QB, with how much vitriol I'm reading on here from Jet fan/self scouts, I'm going to seek you all out through your IP addresses & kill you all! Lol.

49 minutes ago, C Mart said:

feel free to pass this on to woody, the QB whisperer

Joe Montana college stats....

image.png

edit: I stand corrected....looking over the college stats vs pro stats of 6-7 (Aikman, Brees, Kellen Clemens, Rivers, Kaepernick ) QBs their completion % doesn't vary all that much. Montana is an anomaly. 

I hear Gus Dorais had a pretty poor completion percentage too!

29 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018practice5.php

Can’t copy and paste from the article but real positive things about Josh Allen from Thursday’s practice and a few nice words about Baker Mayfield too. 

Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen was the star of Thursday's North practice, as he had his best outing of the week. Allen showed progress throughout the week and capped it off with his best session. On the first day of the Senior Bowl, Allen was firing the ball with his big arm and sending frozen ropes around the field. By Thursday, Allen was taking a little something off his throws and putting more touch on the ball. That led to him throwing a more catchable ball that resulted in his receivers making more plays for him.

Allen was excellent in the red zone scrimmage. He made a number of precise throws to produce touchdowns. On one occasion, Allen lofted in a pass to Penn wide receiver Justin Watson, who made a phenomenal one-handed catch. Allen also hit Indiana tight end Ian Thomas between defenders running vertically through the end zone and then found Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki on a crossing route in the back of the end zone. Gesicki got open for Allen again with a juke move on a slant to run by West Virginia's Kyzir White with Allen throwing a strike to Gesicki. Allen also threw a well-placed pass by defenders to Notre Dame tight end Durham Smythe.

NFL evaluators don't really care about the performance in the Senior Bowl game, as 90 percent of the league leaves after the final practice on Thursday. Thus in the portion of the week that mattered the most Allen helped himself. He was the best quarterback in Mobile, showing a superb skill set with a big frame, arm strength and athleticism. This Senior Bowl performance will help Allen to be a top-10 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield was the other quarterback in Mobile who could be a first-round pick, and Mayfield had a solid session on Thursday. Similar to Allen, Mayfield was better on Thursday compared to how he started out the week. Mayfield threw some well-placed passes, connecting on a slant with Penn State wide receiver DaeSean Hailton on slant for a good gain as Mayfield led Hamilton perfectly. Mayfield lofted in pass over a defender to Miami wideout Braxton Berrios, who adjusted to make an impressive grab over the defender. That catch had Mayfield clapping and praising his temporary teammate.

Mayfield did a better job of pushing the ball vertically on Thursday compared with the previous practices where he checked the ball down too much and was hesitant to throw into tight windows. In the seven-on-seven and team scrimmage portion, Mayfield looks better than in the individual portions. Overall, Mayfield's Senior Bowl was a positive one and shouldn't hurt his draft stock.

33 minutes ago, Pac said:

Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen was the star of Thursday's North practice, as he had his best outing of the week. Allen showed progress throughout the week and capped it off with his best session. On the first day of the Senior Bowl, Allen was firing the ball with his big arm and sending frozen ropes around the field. By Thursday, Allen was taking a little something off his throws and putting more touch on the ball. That led to him throwing a more catchable ball that resulted in his receivers making more plays for him.

Allen was excellent in the red zone scrimmage. He made a number of precise throws to produce touchdowns. On one occasion, Allen lofted in a pass to Penn wide receiver Justin Watson, who made a phenomenal one-handed catch. Allen also hit Indiana tight end Ian Thomas between defenders running vertically through the end zone and then found Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki on a crossing route in the back of the end zone. Gesicki got open for Allen again with a juke move on a slant to run by West Virginia's Kyzir White with Allen throwing a strike to Gesicki. Allen also threw a well-placed pass by defenders to Notre Dame tight end Durham Smythe.

NFL evaluators don't really care about the performance in the Senior Bowl game, as 90 percent of the league leaves after the final practice on Thursday. Thus in the portion of the week that mattered the most Allen helped himself. He was the best quarterback in Mobile, showing a superb skill set with a big frame, arm strength and athleticism. This Senior Bowl performance will help Allen to be a top-10 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield was the other quarterback in Mobile who could be a first-round pick, and Mayfield had a solid session on Thursday. Similar to Allen, Mayfield was better on Thursday compared to how he started out the week. Mayfield threw some well-placed passes, connecting on a slant with Penn State wide receiver DaeSean Hailton on slant for a good gain as Mayfield led Hamilton perfectly. Mayfield lofted in pass over a defender to Miami wideout Braxton Berrios, who adjusted to make an impressive grab over the defender. That catch had Mayfield clapping and praising his temporary teammate.

Mayfield did a better job of pushing the ball vertically on Thursday compared with the previous practices where he checked the ball down too much and was hesitant to throw into tight windows. In the seven-on-seven and team scrimmage portion, Mayfield looks better than in the individual portions. Overall, Mayfield's Senior Bowl was a positive one and shouldn't hurt his draft stock.

sounds like Allens agent paid someone to write this...

11 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Luke Falk reminds me of Ken Obrien. Which isn't a terrible thing. He's not a mobile kid, doesn't have a huge arm, but is very accurate and is a natural passer. In the right system, with a great Oline, I think he can be a really good NFL QB. 

O'Brien:

immobile - check (statue... feet of clay... cement buckets on his feet...etc)

accurate - check (very accurate)

BUT  "doesn't have a huge arm"?  Wrong.  O'brien had one of the strongest arms of any Jets QBs ever. Comparable to Testaverde. Sadly, he was a statue out there, slow footed and not the quickest thinker in the world.  But he could sling it like the best of them.  

22 hours ago, flgreen said:

QB Luke Falk

usatsi_10565384.jpg?w=1000&h=666

Glenn Andrews-USA TODAY Sports

Luke Falk has impressed scouts in Mobile early on and many think he is a fit with New York’s West Coast offense.

A scout told me he thinks Luke Falk fits with the Jets West Coast offense.

The Jets should stay away from Falk, however. At Washington State, he never called plays in the huddle, never took 3-4-5 step drops, and threw a lot of bubble screens and quick passes. He played in an easy system.

Falk will rise up draft boards as quarterbacks always do, but if the Jets are planning on making him their signal caller of the future, they better think twice.

They’ve been down the project quarterback road two times under this regime and neither has shown a heartbeat of development. The Jets should stay away from Falk and any other project quarterback in this draft.

Falk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allen

If we lose out on the Cousins sweepstakes and Cle and NYG won’t accept the blank check to trade down so we miss out on Darnold and Rosen, Falk would be a much better option than Allen.  Plus we could get him late day 2 or early day 3.

21 hours ago, Pcola said:

If we lose out on the Cousins sweepstakes and Cle and NYG won’t accept the blank check to trade down so we miss out on Darnold and Rosen, Falk would be a much better option than Allen.  Plus we could get him late day 2 or early day 3.

No no no. You need a mobile QB nowadays. This guy is a sitting duck. White and Lauletta played very well and showed good skill set. Very Accurate, good pocket presence, good decision making, strong enough arms, good leadership qualities, poised, went through progressions easily, quiet feet.  I especially found Lauletta to have that Joe Montana type mentality and not get flustered in the least. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

No no no. You need a mobile QB nowadays. This guy is a sitting duck. White and Lauletta played very well and showed good skill set. Very Accurate, good pocket presence, good decision making, strong enough arms, good leadership qualities, poised, went through progressions easily, quiet feet.  I especially found Lauletta to have that Joe Montana type mentality and not get flustered in the least. 

Accuracy is my biggest turn on in a QB’s skill set for me. I would welcome a Lauletta pick if we miss out on Mayfield/Rosen ..or even if we sign Cousins, I would like to develop someone like Lauletta in the mean time.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Accuracy is my biggest turn on in a QB’s skill set for me. I would welcome a Lauletta pick if we miss out on Mayfield/Rosen ..or even if we sign Cousins, I would like to develop someone like Lauletta in the mean time.

Yea that would be fine as Lauletta appears to have that QB swagger and doesn’t seem to be intimidated by anything.  The thing that terrifies me about Mayfield is his brash immaturity and he’s a midget. And he bounces around the pocket like a Mexican jellybean. Maturity is something that’s pretty much grasped by someone early on or takes years of bad decisions and failures to develop. It definitely affects a person’s ability to succeed in anything they do personally or professionally.  You’d think these teams filter through these intangibles but then you have us taking a guy like Geno Smith ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, BigO said:

Yea that would be fine as Lauletta appears to have that QB swagger and doesn’t seem to be intimidated by anything.  The thing that terrifies me about Mayfield is his brash immaturity and he’s a midget. And he bounces around the pocket like a Mexican jellybean.  Maturity is something that’s pretty much grasped by someone early on or takes years to develop. It definitely affects a person’s ability to succeed in anything they do personally or professionally.  You’d think these teams filter through these intangibles but then you have us taking a guy like Geno Smith ?‍♂️

Ehh I don’t buy into the whole immaturity thing and that’s not just me speculating. Dissecting some of his responses to the actions he has taken to provide that narrative he is immature .. I have pretty much came away with him just being a fiery guy. He seems humbled by these type of pro experiences with scouts and only seems to want to prove he is nothing like Manziel. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, Pcola said:

I think we have seen with Goff and Watson (and will with Mahomes) that you can’t disqualify a QB just because their college coach did not use pro concepts.  His pro coach can teach some QBs the pro concepts and adapt their scheme to the QB.

43 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think we have seen with Goff and Watson (and will with Mahomes) that you can’t disqualify a QB just because their college coach did not use pro concepts.  His pro coach can teach some QBs the pro concepts and adapt their scheme to the QB.

NFL scouts spend waaaaayyyy too much time bemoaning the lack of under the center snaps in NCAA. Every NFL team runs shotgun sets, every college team has a few pro sets. It's crap. Can the guy run and offense and can he throw? 

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

Very few college programs still use pro style I-formation traditional looks with qbs going in huddle

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

Agreed, but in exteme cases like a Mike Leach QBs teams should be quick skeptics. 

NEVER pick a damn qb based on the offense that it is currently running, that is foolish.  Next year they fire the whole group and hire a new group that does not run the wco and you have a qb not suited to the offense.  If a QB's stock is only high if he plays a certain offense, forget it.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Very few college programs still use pro style I-formation traditional looks with qbs going in huddle

As if you need some kind of special QB football training to line up behind center and hand off every 1st and 2nd down in that sophisticated vaunted Todd Bowles offense. Again, something scouts love to BS about because it makes them sound really smart. 

Archived