Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

Just now, SMC said:

Note, it could also be the Jets.  Because of the tampering rules the Jets can't yet negotiate with Cousins camp.  Yes, an agent would want to increase demand but a team might want to make it unequivocal to a player in demand that they'll do anything to get him.

All players are a bit narcissistic. They want to be loved and appreciated by teams and one way they believe that is through money. If Cousins is open to the Jets (and by all reports he is) then knowing that the Jets will break the bank for him gives him extra incentive to consider them. 

It could also be someone with an axe to grind like Morton. 

I just think if you look at this through the risk /reward prism it points to the agent. 

Just because it's dumb doesn't mean the jets didn't do it,  but risking tampering while taking away your leverage doesn't seem ideal. 

If this story grows legs and people talk about it for weeks,  it could also have the opposite effect,  making the jets look like over attached girl friend 

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

Note, it could also be the Jets.  Because of the tampering rules the Jets can't yet negotiate with Cousins camp.  Yes, an agent would want to increase demand but a team might want to make it unequivocal to a player in demand that they'll do anything to get him.

All players are a bit narcissistic. They want to be loved and appreciated by teams and one way they believe that is through money. If Cousins is open to the Jets (and by all reports he is) then knowing that the Jets will break the bank for him gives him extra incentive to consider them. 

The Jets absolutely love having this in the news, especially at this point when it makes them look like the big dogs on the porch, before the other suitors start rolling out their, you know, actual offers that Cousins will actually consider. This is free publicity for the Jets, who are otherwise moribund.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I just think if you look at this through the risk /reward prism it points to the agent. 

Just because it's dumb doesn't mean the jets didn't do it,  but risking tampering while taking away your leverage doesn't seem ideal. 

If this story grows legs and people talk about it for weeks,  it could also have the opposite effect,  making the jets look like over attached girl friend 

The Jets did this with Peyton Manning and Nnamdi Asomugha, too. It’s what they do, and it’s predictable, and I wrote that they’d do exactly this over a month ago. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Don't get the ax to grind point. Nobody is putting out a false story on this.

The thing is, even when it's the agent, the agent is basing it on intel he has learned.  So if the agent leaked this, it means he heard through the grapevine that the Jets will do everything it takes to sign his client.

Ultimately, offering full guarantee is dumb, but having a team leak it to show fealty to a player is not.

Lastly, being the over attached girlfriend is not a bad thing for a team because money talks. It's always about money and players knowing that money is absolute with a certain team gives the player security in the negotiation process.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets absolutely love having this in the news, especially at this point when it makes them look like the big dogs on the porch, before the other suitors start rolling out their, you know, actual offers that Cousins will actually consider. This is free publicity for the Jets, who are otherwise moribund.

Exactly. This is actually good press for the Jets.  It's another reason why I think this came from a team source.

BY. THE. WAY. This story also gives the Jets cover if they don't sign Cousins because they can say they were willing to do whatever it takes to get him, but he simply said no.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

The thing is, even when it's the agent, the agent is basing it on intel he has learned.  So if the agent leaked this, it means he heard through the grapevine that the Jets will do everything it takes to sign his client.

Ultimately, offering full guarantee is dumb, but having a team leak it to show fealty to a player is not.

Lastly, being the over attached girlfriend is not a bad thing for a team because money talks. It's always about money and players knowing that money is absolute with a certain team gives the player security in the negotiation process.

This story makes the jets look like idiots

That's not shocking,  But if they put it out there it's hall of shame stuff 

Normally you tell the agent you are talking to 6 other options,  not "shut up and take my money "

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

This story makes the jets look like idiots

That's not shocking,  But if they put it out there it's hall of shame stuff 

Normally you tell the agent you are talking to 6 other options,  not "shut up and take my money "

I don’t think the statements “The Jets conceived of this plan to acquire Kirk Cousins and have very consciously leaked this plan to the media” and “this story makes the Jets look like idiots” are mutually exclusive propositions.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets did this with Peyton Manning and Nnamdi Asomugha, too. It’s what they do, and it’s predictable, and I wrote that they’d do exactly this over a month ago. 

This is certainly true.  I never thought Peyton would go to the Jets and IIRC think didn't have the cap room for Asomugha.  Kirk Cousins seems like a better fit though so I could see that one happening (though I hope it doesn't because it sounds like we'll have to "assume the position" to get him here).

5 hours ago, SMC said:

My opinion is that the leaks arent so much leaks but more people very loosely affiliated with the organization in the past (guys like Bill Polian, Charley Casserly) who are in never never land with the contract stuff and saying if I ran the Jets it would make sense to pay him $60M in year 1 and a fully guaranteed deal. If this came from the Jets it would kill them from a negotiating standpoint. Stafford got $51 and Garoppolo was in the low $40s. $60M is a massive jump. So thats agent speak. I cant say he wont get to $60M up front but I wouldnt bet on it and the Jets organization will look bad if they leaked this and dont sign him when someone pays him $52M this year. 

Apparently the players association might put pressure on cousins to accept a fully guaranteed contract to set the precedent for future players.  So the idea that there will be jealousy is probably way off.  Cousins will be a hero to his fellow players if he signs a fully guaranteed contract. 

Another Cousins thread for you whiners.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-feel-signing-qb-kirk-cousins-article-1.3835520

How the Jets really feel about signing impending free-agent QB Kirk Cousins

The speculation surrounding the Jets’ eventual pursuit of Kirk Cousins has prompted some much-needed comedic relief during the NFL’s silly season.

There have been some whoppers in the past week or so. If you didn’t know any better, you’d think Woody and Christopher Johnson were willing to offer an ownership stake to the soon-to-be free-agent quarterback.

Heck, why stop there? Why not just change MetLife Stadium to Cousins Coliseum?

After all, that would be as probable as some of the unfounded stuff I’ve read in recent days that paints a wholly inaccurate picture of this situation.

First and foremost, the Jets absolutely would love to sign Cousins in the coming weeks, according to actual team sources. He’s a win-now AND win-later quarterback entering the prime of his career. There’s a large enough window (at least five seasons) to win with the soon-to-be 30-year-old signal caller to make it more than worthwhile to make a strong investment in him, but let’s be clear: The Jets are not going to try to bring him aboard by any means necessary.

The notion that the organization will go to any lengths to sign him is patently false. There’s a difference between making a strong and aggressive move for a player (aka – an all-in mindset) and actually recklessly overspending. The Jets aren’t going to hand Cousins a blank check, according to team sources.

That would just be plain ol’ dumb business.

Truth be told, some folks on One Jets Drive have gotten a kick out of the unfounded rumors that they’re willing to break their budget for Cousins (even though they have prioritized him). There’s a distinct difference between paying the man and adopting some of the tactics being proposed in recent days.

There’s little doubt that Cousins would be a terrific fit for new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, but the idea of paying him $60 million in the first year of a blockbuster deal is beyond ludicrous. Speculation that the Jets would be willing to absorb a $60 million cap hit in 2018 for Cousins so they could free up future cap space in subsequent years to build around the quarterback simply isn’t true, according to team insiders. It makes for good headlines, but it isn’t rooted in reality. It’s actually illogical on myriad fronts.

By rule, the cap hit in the second year of a deal must be at least 50 percent of the Year 1 cap charge. So, this fairytale $60 million cap hit scenario would mean that Cousins would have to count at least $30 million against the Jets 2019 cap.

But, hey, this nonsense gets people talking, right?

The comps will give you a good sense of the general structure of Cousins’ deal. Jimmy Garoppolo will make $42.6 million in the first year of his recently signed five-year, $137.5 million extension. The 49ers will absorb a $37 million salary cap hit in 2018 and subsequent cap charges of $20 million, $26.6 million, $26.9 million and $27 million. Here’s the most important part of the contract: Jimmy G will pocket $86.4 million in the first three years of the deal.

Matthew Stafford’s five-year, $135 million deal from last summer provides another window into Cousins’ future. The Lions paid Stafford $51 million (including a $50 million signing bonus) in 2017, while absorbing a $16.5 million cap hit (lowering his base salary to $1 million in the first year of the deal helped keep the cap number relatively low). Stafford’s 2018 earnings drop to $16.5 million, but his cap number increases by 61 percent to $26.5 million. He will pocket $87 million in the first three years of the deal.

Cousins will get a comparable contract. The Jets, who will have more than $90 million in available cap space after Mo Wilkerson and Matt Forte are cut in the coming weeks, aren’t going to make a cursory inquiry. They’ll be real players for Cousins, but they are not going to wildly overspend or make history by offering him a fully guaranteed four- or five-year deal, according to team sources.

Gang Green believes that there will be about three other strong suitors. On the surface, the Broncos, Browns, Vikings, Cardinals and Bills have their own quarterback dilemmas, but will they all be serious bidders for Cousins’ services? The Jets don’t think so. Some of those teams will address their signal caller needs in the draft.

Breaking news: Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are going to be on NFL teams in a few months.

The Jets want Cousins. They’ll make a strong, fair proposal and plan accordingly if he goes elsewhere.

In the meantime, enjoy reading the comics.  

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

th be told, some folks on One Jets Drive have gotten a kick out of the unfounded rumors that they’re willing to break their budget for Cousins (even though they have prioritized him). There’s a distinct difference between paying the man and adopting some of the tactics being proposed in recent days.

Translation: Cousins said no. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wait,  a reasonable pro Jets article from Manish? Someone needs to put him in a concussion protocol. He must have gotten bopped on his noggin. 

He has had laser accuracy since the offseason began. I won’t take that away from him. He straight called the Morton firing a week and a half before it happened. He was on point about Wilkerson. He has someone on One Jets Drive telling him quality info.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

He has had laser accuracy since the offseason began. I won’t take that away from him. He straight called the Morton firing a week and a half before it happened. He was on point about Wilkerson. He has someone on One Jets Drive telling him quality info.

But, what is he doing to get it?   ewwww

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Reports hide behind their "sources" and can pretty much say anything they want.  Manish could be a Jet fan and against spending all that money on Cousins.     As far as the rumors that Mac would give it all a way for Cousins is BS too,  Everything is a negotiation so why would he let it out that he would pay whatever it takes?

The off season can be nauseating. 

• Upvote 1

He’s a win-now AND win-later quarterback.

He is coming into the prime of his career. If he pans out, we quite possibly have the best QB to put on a Jets uniform, with all due respect to Joe Willie. Namath transcended the game for a brief moment in time. He left an indelible mark on the game of football and how we ended up idolizing players as rock stars. He brought us glory, but he didn't have all that great of a career. If we sign Cousins, I sure hope that this doesn't turn out to be a disaster. 

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Reports hide behind their "sources" and can pretty much say anything they want.  Manish could be a Jet fan and against spending all that money on Cousins.     As far as the rumors that Mac would give it all a way for Cousins is BS too,  Everything is a negotiation so why would he let it out that he would pay whatever it takes?

The off season can be nauseating. 

As I said, I actually believe the weasel. He’s been good for his word this offseason.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Remember in like 2003 the Redskins signed 4 of our players in free-agency.  I think 3 of them were Laveranues Coles, Randy Thomas and Chad Morton.  Anyone know who the 4th player was?  Btw, the Redskins still stunk even with those signings. 

Snyder gets hung up on certain players hence the sign and trade for Alex Smith

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Apparently the players association might put pressure on cousins to accept a fully guaranteed contract to set the precedent for future players.  So the idea that there will be jealousy is probably way off.  Cousins will be a hero to his fellow players if he signs a fully guaranteed contract. 

But someone has to actually offer a fully guaranteed deal 

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Macc isn’t smart enough to try this

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Maybe. So it’s possible he’s behaving like a good little fella now. Rather than a bitter ex. 

49 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Another Cousins thread for you whiners.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-feel-signing-qb-kirk-cousins-article-1.3835520

How the Jets really feel about signing impending free-agent QB Kirk Cousins

The speculation surrounding the Jets’ eventual pursuit of Kirk Cousins has prompted some much-needed comedic relief during the NFL’s silly season.

There have been some whoppers in the past week or so. If you didn’t know any better, you’d think Woody and Christopher Johnson were willing to offer an ownership stake to the soon-to-be free-agent quarterback.

Heck, why stop there? Why not just change MetLife Stadium to Cousins Coliseum?

After all, that would be as probable as some of the unfounded stuff I’ve read in recent days that paints a wholly inaccurate picture of this situation.

First and foremost, the Jets absolutely would love to sign Cousins in the coming weeks, according to actual team sources. He’s a win-now AND win-later quarterback entering the prime of his career. There’s a large enough window (at least five seasons) to win with the soon-to-be 30-year-old signal caller to make it more than worthwhile to make a strong investment in him, but let’s be clear: The Jets are not going to try to bring him aboard by any means necessary.

The notion that the organization will go to any lengths to sign him is patently false. There’s a difference between making a strong and aggressive move for a player (aka – an all-in mindset) and actually recklessly overspending. The Jets aren’t going to hand Cousins a blank check, according to team sources.

That would just be plain ol’ dumb business.

Truth be told, some folks on One Jets Drive have gotten a kick out of the unfounded rumors that they’re willing to break their budget for Cousins (even though they have prioritized him). There’s a distinct difference between paying the man and adopting some of the tactics being proposed in recent days.

There’s little doubt that Cousins would be a terrific fit for new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, but the idea of paying him $60 million in the first year of a blockbuster deal is beyond ludicrous. Speculation that the Jets would be willing to absorb a $60 million cap hit in 2018 for Cousins so they could free up future cap space in subsequent years to build around the quarterback simply isn’t true, according to team insiders. It makes for good headlines, but it isn’t rooted in reality. It’s actually illogical on myriad fronts.

By rule, the cap hit in the second year of a deal must be at least 50 percent of the Year 1 cap charge. So, this fairytale $60 million cap hit scenario would mean that Cousins would have to count at least $30 million against the Jets 2019 cap.

But, hey, this nonsense gets people talking, right?

The comps will give you a good sense of the general structure of Cousins’ deal. Jimmy Garoppolo will make $42.6 million in the first year of his recently signed five-year, $137.5 million extension. The 49ers will absorb a $37 million salary cap hit in 2018 and subsequent cap charges of $20 million, $26.6 million, $26.9 million and $27 million. Here’s the most important part of the contract: Jimmy G will pocket $86.4 million in the first three years of the deal.

Matthew Stafford’s five-year, $135 million deal from last summer provides another window into Cousins’ future. The Lions paid Stafford $51 million (including a $50 million signing bonus) in 2017, while absorbing a $16.5 million cap hit (lowering his base salary to $1 million in the first year of the deal helped keep the cap number relatively low). Stafford’s 2018 earnings drop to $16.5 million, but his cap number increases by 61 percent to $26.5 million. He will pocket $87 million in the first three years of the deal.

Cousins will get a comparable contract. The Jets, who will have more than $90 million in available cap space after Mo Wilkerson and Matt Forte are cut in the coming weeks, aren’t going to make a cursory inquiry. They’ll be real players for Cousins, but they are not going to wildly overspend or make history by offering him a fully guaranteed four- or five-year deal, according to team sources.

Gang Green believes that there will be about three other strong suitors. On the surface, the Broncos, Browns, Vikings, Cardinals and Bills have their own quarterback dilemmas, but will they all be serious bidders for Cousins’ services? The Jets don’t think so. Some of those teams will address their signal caller needs in the draft.

Breaking news: Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are going to be on NFL teams in a few months.

The Jets want Cousins. They’ll make a strong, fair proposal and plan accordingly if he goes elsewhere.

In the meantime, enjoy reading the comics.  

You should be banned if you make another Cousins thread. Just stop. We should have ONE Cousins thread.

• Thumb Down 1