Tony Pauline Reported tonight...

Greensleeves

You guys are living in fantasy land if you think any move up to #3 or higher isn't going to start with the 2019 1st and both 2nds this year.  The price to move up for a QB is very high. That being said, if you think he's a franchise guy then you give everything you can to secure that selection.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it too early to trade up now if you know which QB you like? I think not. Trade up to 4 and we get a top 3 guy. Trade up to 3 and we probably get the second QB off the board.
I don't think it's too early for us to trade up , but it's too early for anyone to trade down.

If you were Cleveland, would you trade down now, before free agency? Any FA QB can then raise their price as they know Cleveland have a much smaller safety net than before. And if they miss on free agency, they then have to pick a QB at 4 which could cost them Barkley into the bargain.

If our GM did that there's be so many aeroplanes and Fire Mac banners in the sky it'd be downright dangerous.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You guys are living in fantasy land if you think any move up to #3 or higher isn't going to start with the 2019 1st and both 2nds this year.  The price to move up for a QB is very high. That being said, if you think he's a franchise guy then you give everything you can to secure that selection.

I think it depends on who we are bidding with. If the Colts want to land Nelson/Chubb/Barkley then I think it may only be a bidding war between the Jets and Broncos. I could definitely see the Broncos signing Keenum and waiting to see who falls to them. With them being a win now team unless they can get up to #1 I could see them taking Nelson at 5 and addressing QB in the 2nd while giving Lynch another year.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Why would the Jets not be a major bidder for Norwell?  I find that very disappointing.  He's a huge upgrade at a position of dire need and we have way more cap to burn than the Giants.  Are we saving it up for a flying lawnmower show?

I mean if it flies, that'd be my focus as well. 

A couple of things:

- If Cousins is going to MIN I'm glad he made a quick decision and didn't
subject us to a "dog & pony" free agency tour.  We should've already lined up
who we'll sign as a free agent QB, any of these options are fine with me as
long as we are targeting a QB at #6 or higher:

1. Going after Bridgewater, he still has a ton of upside because he's so young
    (25) and when he played (outdoors in MIN) he was effective.  And it's been
    two years since his injury so he should be fully recovered now
 2. Re-signing McCown
 3. Even signing Bradford to a deal loaded with incentives has grown on me.  I hate
    his injury history but I can't deny his production when he gets on the field

- No one is going to trade down this early in the draft process, teams haven't
finished doing their boards yet.  On top of that I feel a couple of players who
"showed out" at the Combine are going to force their way into the top 5-10:

* Barkley (RB)
 * Nelson (G)
 * Chubb (DE)
 * Davenport (DE/OLB)
 * Edmunds (OLB)

If that occurs it won't shock me if an unexpected QB drops 

If Cousins if off the table, the Jets have to go all in on trading up into the top 3.  They cannot sit around and "hope" a QB they like falls to them.  Mac has to have the stones to make a career defining decision and aggressively fight for the QB of his choice at the top of the draft.

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

A couple of things:

- If Cousins is going to MIN I'm glad he made a quick decision and didn't
subject us to a "dog & pony" free agency tour.  We should've already lined up
who we'll sign as a free agent QB, any of these options are fine with me as
long as we are targeting a QB at #6 or higher:

1. Going after Bridgewater, he still has a ton of upside because he's so young
    (25) and when he played (outdoors in MIN) he was effective.  And it's been
    two years since his injury so he should be fully recovered now
 2. Re-signing McCown
 3. Even signing Bradford to a deal loaded with incentives has grown on me.  I hate
    his injury history but I can't deny his production when he gets on the field

- No one is going to trade down this early in the draft process, teams haven't
finished doing their boards yet.  On top of that I feel a couple of players who
"showed out" at the Combine are going to force their way into the top 5-10:

* Barkley (RB)
 * Nelson (G)
 * Chubb (DE)
 * Davenport (DE/OLB)
 * Edmunds (OLB)

If that occurs it won't shock me if an unexpected QB drops 

Paxton Lynch was a surprise to drop, although he has done nothing anyway.

Obviously, the big one was Aaron Rodgers falling all the way to GB.   Stranger things have happened.  I have seen some mocks where they STILL have Baker going in the 2nd round.  That is crazy of course, but I could see one of the top five falling all the way down to the bottom half of the draft for sure.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Paxton Lynch was a surprise to drop, although he has done nothing anyway.

Obviously, the big one was Aaron Rodgers falling all the way to GB.   Stranger things have happened.  I have seen some mocks where they STILL have Baker going in the 2nd round.  That is crazy of course, but I could see one of the top five falling all the way down to the bottom half of the draft for sure.

Well trades aside, if one of them gets past 6, the next probable stops are MIA at 11, CIN at 12 or ARI at 15.  It's hard to imagine ARI passing up on a QB at that point so mocking any of them below that seems highly unlikely.  And I just can't see more than one QB getting out of the top-6 picks.  I suppose if NYG go Barkley and DEN signs Keenum and goes non-QB it could happen.  And with the draft, the only thing you can be sure of is someone will do something unexpected early on.

My guess is that if one of them gets down to the 8-10 range, BUF and ARI will be looking to trade up.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

It's worth the price for a QB.

Use free agency to fill the other holes.

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well trades aside, if one of them gets past 6, the next probable stops are MIA at 11, CIN at 12 or ARI at 15.  It's hard to imagine ARI passing up on a QB at that point so mocking any of them below that seems highly unlikely.  And I just can't see more than one QB getting out of the top-6 picks.  I suppose if NYG go Barkley and DEN signs Keenum and goes non-QB it could happen.  And with the draft, the only thing you can be sure of is someone will do something unexpected early on.

My guess is that if one of them gets down to the 8-10 range, BUF and ARI will be looking to trade up.

No, I don't think anyone goes as far as Rodgers fell that year....that was a CRAZY anomaly that happened.  I think you are right; early 10's and all those teams you mentioned, as well as it makes it more palatable for Buffalo to trade as well.  I don't think their 2 1sts would be enough to get into the top 5, and I doubt they want to give up more. 

Hopefully, it goes Barkley, QB, Chubb, QB, NON-QB, and we would then have a pick between 2 of the top 4.

24 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Cousins if off the table, the Jets have to go all in on trading up into the top 3.  They cannot sit around and "hope" a QB they like falls to them.  Mac has to have the stones to make a career defining decision and aggressively fight for the QB of his choice at the top of the draft.

1oxpeh.jpg

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

My biggest fears with staying at 6:

- Broncos sign Keenum and trade #5 to the Bills for picks + Glenn and take their QBOTF at 21, 22, or 40

- Broncos trade with Bills for picks + Tyrod 

- Broncos trade with Dolphins for #11 + Tannehill

- Colts trade with Dolphins for #11 + Landry + whatever else

IMO this is why we need to trade up, we got the extra 2nd to make sure we wouldn't be outbid. Now is not the time to get cute. If I have to watch a division opponent take our QB and we need to play them for the next 10 + years while we take a Safety because we didn't like the QBs that were left you might find me hanging from a chandelier.

I am glad you brought this up.  Everyone talks about the Broncos,  Vikings and Cardinals and assumes 2 other teams smarter than the Jets are just sitting around on their hands.  You think the Bills or the Dolphins want to see the Jets with Rosen or Mayfield?

10 hours ago, King P said:

It's a done deal but I bet we are still gonna waste time chasing him and miss out on prospects like Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, etc

Well there was a report that the Jets have a feeling this is going to be the case so I don't think that they will miss out on people

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This also tells me, if its true, that the Jets did not pay over the top for Cousins, otherwise this decision probably would have taken longer.

I have a feeling the Jets are in love with a QB at the draft.

As with Peyton Manning, the Jets were always going to do just enough to appear like they were competing for Cousins so they could catch a few headlines and look like they’re sitting at the big boy table, but in the end they were never going to be in serious contention and both Macc and Bowles will be happy to roll McCown out there next year. We, the fans, recognize that the Jets are very far away, but Maccagnan, Bowles, and Chris Johnson think they’re right on track to compete. 

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Why would the Jets not be a major bidder for Norwell?  I find that very disappointing.  He's a huge upgrade at a position of dire need and we have way more cap to burn than the Giants.  Are we saving it up for a flying lawnmower show?

I agree.  We should be the one all in on Norwell.  And Richburg.  Fireable offense not to address these spots in a big way.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

As with Peyton Manning, the Jets were always going to do just enough to appear like they were competing for Cousins so they could catch a few headlines and look like they’re sitting at the big boy table, but in the end they were never going to be in serious contention and both Macc and Bowles will be happy to roll McCown out there next year. We, the fans, recognize that the Jets are very far away, but Maccagnan, Bowles, and Chris Johnson think they’re right on track to compete. 

The record per expectations and media sides with them on this.  So all the Jets fans have to back them up is history

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

this pursuit is real, we may not get him but we are going in 100%.  it made no sense to go after Peyton but when a HOF QB is available and not ancient you look into it and we did.  we have a real chance to get Cousins and will do all we can, whether that is enough we'll see.

No team is very far away in the modern NFL. One good offseason can change everything, we do have some young talent, we have a ton of nice picks and cap room.  we can be a playoff team in 2018 if we have a really good offseason. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

this pursuit is real, we may not get him but we are going in 100%.  it made no sense to go after Peyton but when a HOF QB is available and not ancient you look into it and we did.  we have a real chance to get Cousins and will do all we can, whether that is enough we'll see.

No team is very far away in the modern NFL. One good offseason can change everything, we do have some young talent, we have a ton of nice picks and cap room.  we can be a playoff team in 2018 if we have a really good offseason. 

Lay out the non-Cousins scenario where the Jets can make the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't know. One suffered a major injury and the other had a down year after having several good years.

It's subjective opinion.  But here's a list that ranked all the Guards after the season.  Winters was 80.  Carpenter was 67.  Norwell was 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755358-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-offensive-guards-of-2017-season

PFF had this to say about Norwell:

12. Andrew Norwell, G, Carolina Panthers – 85.6 overall grade

PFF Elite Stat: Norwell is the only guard in the league with at least 200 snaps in pass protection, and to not allow a sack nor a QB hit.

Another consistent stud over the past few years at guard, Andrew Norwell has been as good as ever for the Panthers this season. He has yet to surrender a sack or a hit across all of his games this season, and given up 13 total hurries. In the past, run blocking has been the better side of his game, but this season that has taken a back seat to pass blocking, while still remaining a strong positive overall.

Seems like a guy I'd want to take a run at.

I'm hearing that free agent Kirk Cousins has not ruled out any teams (despite the chatter). He's keeping all options open. There's still ample time to survey the landscape and find a new home. So, the Jets are still very much a viable destination. #NYJets

ProFootballTalkVerified account @ProFootballTalk 2 hours ago

Translation: Cousins is realizing that only the Jets are willing to pay him big money.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

TRADE FOR #1 TOMORROW YOU BUM ASS SORRY EXCUSES FOR A FRONT OFFICE.

I swear to you all...if we don’t trade up into the top 3 and we wind up with ANYTHING LESS than Baker, Rosen or Darnold...I’m done for the next few years. Sorry not sorry. Still bleed green. Just won’t do this sh*t to myself anymore.

C-YA

10 hours ago, TopCop said:

I’m 100% in agreement that we have to trade up, but realistically what would we have to give up to jump three slots to #3.  I’d hate to give up draft picks but I’m afraid that there will be a surprise team that will package the farm to jump us and get the QB that we wanted.

IMO, the way the combine has shaped up we are pretty much assured to get one of the 4 QB's if we stay put at 6.  I believe both Barkley and Chubb will go in the top 4 (likely to Indy and Cleveland4 or possibly the Giants) We might be able to hop Denver to get the 3rd QB off the board (as Cleveland will have their guy locked up at 6 that they would take at 4) but it won't cost too much (probably one of the two's)

I just can't see Indy or Cleveland passing up on Chubb or Barkley.  

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

TRADE FOR #1 TOMORROW YOU BUM ASS SORRY EXCUSES FOR A FRONT OFFICE.

I swear to you all...if we don’t trade up into the top 3 and we wind up with ANYTHING LESS than Baker, Rosen or Darnold...I’m done for the next few years. Sorry not sorry. Still bleed green. Just won’t do this sh*t to myself anymore.

Exhibit A why Fans make sh*tty GM's.

A Fan would happily trade the 2018 #2, both 2018 #2's, the 2019 #1 and #2.......to move up to #3 and get Josh "Jeff George" Allen.

That same fan, a year later, would be beefing about why the team is so thin and lacking talent at RB, WR, O-Line and on Defense, never realizing the deep and unrelenting irony of it all.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lay out the non-Cousins scenario where the Jets can make the playoffs.

It involves either a) expanding the playoffs to 24 teams or b). a global pandemic that incapacitates at least 70% of the players with the Jets being slightly luckier with immunity.  Perhaps both.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exhibit A why Fans make sh*tty GM's.

A Fan would happily trade the 2018 #2, both 2018 #2's, the 2019 #1 and #2.......to move up to #3 and get Josh "Jeff George" Allen.

That same fan, a year later, would be beefing about why the team is so thin and lacking talent at RB, WR, O-Line and on Defense, never realizing the deep and unrelenting irony of it all.

Agreed that scenario is a bit ridiculous. 

Just kicking this around.  I proposed elsewhere a trade of our #6, #49 (later 2nd round pick), #107 (4th round) and a 2019 2nd rounder to get to #3.  A bit over the pure trade-chart value but given probable competition for the trade, realistic (IMO) in the scenario where Barkley is off the board for the Colts. 

Do you think that's too much to pay to move up for our choice of all but one of the QBs versus waiting to see who drops (with a small chance none do)?

One more point on Norwell.  I found this which is as good as I've got on what the Giants are offering Norwell.

Last offseason, the Cleveland Browns made free agent offensive guard Kevin Zeitler the highest-paid player at his position with a five-year, $60 million contract worth $12 million annually. According to sources close to Raanan who have knowledge of the free agent guard market, Norwell's potential contract with the Giants will exceed Zeitler's with a projected $30 million in guaranteed money up front and an annual hit of $13 million -- with those numbers he will become the highest-paid guard in NFL history.

We are in a rare position to willingly overspend in year 1 to land a premium FA.  $13MM is a lot for a Guard, but the cap is exploding every year and I think we have to rethink what top dollars are now and will be in 3 years.  We can offer more without blinking.  It's not a choice between cities, just teams.  We are investing (hopefully) in a rookie QB so giving him the best protection possible (especially if it's Rosen) feels important.  Why would we sit back and let this opportunity slip by?  Not saying we are, but from the sound of it, Macc didn't make a strong rush at Norwell.  

If I was the GM, he would have been on my 'must-have' list.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we drafted Coles in 2000, he developed into a starter in 2001.  became Chad's favorite receiver in 2002 when he took over.  we put a 1st round tender on Coles as a RFA in 2003, to that point no team had signed a RFA w/ a 1st rd tender so we gambled and lost.  After Coles left Santana Moss developed into something close to what Coles was before he left and when Moss was coming up for FA we decided to trade him to Washington in return for Coles who was damaged goods at that point.  Coles would be a solid starter for us but Moss was better at that time.

Moss was drafted in 2001 so technically they played together 2 seasons for us though Moss was hurt most of 2001 so while they were teammates for 2 seasons they really only played together for 1 season(2002).

Also the last time we went WR first round. 2001. 17 years. 

Archived