Tom Brady admits he sees his retirement coming

joewilly12

Tom Brady admits he sees his retirement coming

JUN 18, 2018 | 9:00 AM 

Tom Brady may be calling an audible on his well-documented game plan of playing into his mid-40s.

In a wide-ranging interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired Sunday night on OWN Network, the Patriots quarterback and reigning NFL MVP admitted he has begun to consider life after football.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think about it more now than I used it,” Brady said. “I think I'm seeing that there's definitely an end coming sooner rather than later.”

When Winfrey asked if that means Brady, who turns 41 in August, would retire at age 43 or 45, he answered: “As long as I'm still loving it. As long as I'm loving the preparation, the training, I'm willing to make the commitment. I think what I alluded to a lot in the [‘Tom vs. Time’] docuseries was there's other things happening in my life, too. I do have kids that I love, and I don't want to be a dad that's not there driving my kids to their games.

“My kids have brought a great perspective in my life. You better be there and be available to them, or else they're going to look back on their life and go, 'Dad didn't really care that much.'"

Tom Brady says his NFL days are nearing an end.
Tom Brady says his NFL days are nearing an end. (Steven Senne / AP)

Brady, however, would never be confused with someone who doesn’t really care about football. But the five-time Super Bowl champion told Winfrey that he’s uncomfortable with people labeling him as “the greatest of all time.”

"I don't like when people say it. I don't feel that way,” he said. “I'm not attached to that feeling. I don't care whether people think that or not. I want to be the best I can be. I know when I go out there it's not to compare myself to this guy or that guy.”

"I still feel like I'm in it,” he added. “I still feel like I'm doing it. I still feel like there's still more to be accomplished.”

That feeling certainly motivated Brady after he served his Deflategate suspension at the start of the 2016 season, which resulted in New England’s most recent Super Bowl victory. He said he was tired of fighting the league over the suspension because it caused “too much anxiety.” Still, he was able to take advantage of his time away from the team to focus on family.

“I just said, ‘You know what, I’m going to use this as an opportunity,’” Brady said. “I had the month of September off for the first time in 21 years, and I’m going to take advantage of this. And the first thing I did, my wife and I and our kids, we flew out to see my parents. My mom was just starting treatment for cancer, and I said, ‘We’re going golfing and we’re going to Pebble Beach.’ We never went on a honeymoon, my wife and I, so we said, ‘We’re going to go to Italy in September.’ So I said, ‘Man, that was the best month off I think I’ve ever had.’”

Brady was also asked about his relationship with Pats coach Bill Belichick, which sparked controversy last season after an explosive ESPN report detailed a rift that was derailing the franchise. Brady, however, denied Winfrey’s query that there’s “something going on him” between the two.

"Umm, no. I mean, I love him,” he said. “I love that he's an incredible coach, mentor for me. And he's pushed me in a lot of ways. Like everything, we don't agree on absolutely everything. But that's relationships."

As for Brady’s relationship with his children — two with supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen and another with actress Bridget Moynahan — it seems that will be what leads him to put a cap on his Hall of Fame career, whenever that may be.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

That sucks. Not only will we never be able to say we bested Brady, but Pats Jets games will no longer be as exciting.

Bad for football, bad for us.

Disagree its time for the NY Jets to reign the AFC East and dominate the NFL like NE has for so many years. 

5 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

That sucks. Not only will we never be able to say we bested Brady, but Pats Jets games will no longer be as exciting.

1) We "bested" brady in the playoffs at his place when we were the 6th seed and they were the 1 seed after going 14-2. We also have beaten him in regular season games too. And we would never play him in the super bowl. So I have no idea what you mean by never having "bested brady"

2) **** brady. **** the pats. Jets games will always be exciting if you're rooting for the Jets to win.

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I still think his ego is waiting out BB to retire first and wants to win one without BB. I also think Brady made sure Kraft kept McDaniel’s on as a successor for this very reason. He’ll push on as long as he can. 

they both seem to want to wait the other out.  in the meantime, they keep winning division titles.

but like we say each offseason, the pig is ripe....  

i think our window is 2020-2022.  

53 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

We did best him - back in the 2010 playoffs. Of course, the defense didn't bother to show up against the Steelers in the AFCCG the next game

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, those Browns and Chargers games last year were real thrillers!

As opposed to what? The 26-6 loss we took against the Pats last year?

The guy I quoted essentially said that he wanted brady to continue to play just so he can say it's an "exciting" game, even though most of our games against them are decided before we get to the 4Q. And you're basically saying that the Jets winning games was boring.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I tell you guys to find something else that excites you if you don't want to see Darnold tearing up the league? Like, what was the point of this?

27 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I still think his ego is waiting out BB to retire first and wants to win one without BB. I also think Brady made sure Kraft kept McDaniel’s on as a successor for this very reason. He’ll push on as long as he can. 

If some of the rumors of Kraft overruling Belichick in favor of Brady,  I would not be shocked to see Belichick move on to another team in an attempt to prove the Pats success was him and not Brady. 

The Jets have had some good wins against Brady, highlighted by that playoff win in NE when they were the #1 seed, but he definitely got the best of the Jets more times than not. 

I think Brady retiring will change the rivalry for me a little.  As a Mets fan, I compare it to when Chipper Jones retired from the Braves - the rivalry will still  exist but it's just no quite the same.    

21 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

As opposed to what? The 26-6 loss we took against the Pats last year?

The guy I quoted essentially said that he wanted brady to continue to play just so he can say it's an "exciting" game, even though most of our games against them are decided before we get to the 4Q. And you're basically saying that the Jets winning games was boring.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I tell you guys to find something else that excites you if you don't want to see Darnold tearing up the league? Like, what was the point of this?

Actually, what I am saying is that boring games are boring.  Particularly in a meaningless season - which we have had too many of lately.  I quoted you: 

Jets games will always be exciting if you're rooting for the Jets to win.

I didn't find those games particularly exciting.  There were other games I didn't find exciting, but I remembered those off the top of my head.

You may not agree, but I understand the desire to beat the man.  There is some merit to the whole "To be the man, you have to beat the man" thing.  Nobody looks at Larry Holmes the way they look at guys like Frazier and Foreman, or the '94 Rockets like the Pistons, Lakers, Celtics, or even the Spurs

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If some of the rumors of Kraft overruling Belichick in favor of Brady,  I would not be shocked to see Belichick move on to another team in an attempt to prove the Pats success was him and not Brady. 

Yep.  I'm expecting it right after the passing on Darnold thing blows up in the Giants face.Fire Gentleman and crew, in comes Lil Bill 

Brady talking about retiring, Gronk talking about his Derby horse, retiring and making movies in Hollywood. Tension in the ranks. Patricia gone. Amendola gone. Edelman busted for PEDs. Belichick dissed. This all adds up to a bad season for the Pats. The magic is gone boys and girls. Movin’ on over, the big ole dog is movin’ in.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Brady talking about retiring, Gronk talking about his Derby horse, retiring and making movies in Hollywood. Tension in the ranks. Patricia gone. Amendola gone. Edelman busted for PEDs. Belichick dissed. This all adds up to a bad season for the Pats. The magic is gone boys and girls. Movin’ on over, the big ole dog is movin’ in.

Pats 12-4 and win the division easily.

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, what I am saying is that boring games are boring.  Particularly in a meaningless season - which we have had too many of lately.  I quoted you: 

I didn't find those games particularly exciting.  There were other games I didn't find exciting, but I remembered those off the top of my head.

You may not agree, but I understand the desire to beat the man.  There is some merit to the whole "To be the man, you have to beat the man" thing.  Nobody looks at Larry Holmes the way they look at guys like Frazier and Foreman, or the '94 Rockets like the Pistons, Lakers, Celtics, or even the Spurs

Ok, and I'm just saying that losing 26-6 to the pats wasn't particularly exciting either just because brady was playing.

Regarding beating the man....we have brady, including when it mattered in the playoffs. Regardless, if Darnold is winning playoff games, you're not gonna give a sh*t which man we're beating. They'll all be exciting.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree its time for the NY Jets to reign the AFC East and dominate the NFL like NE has for so many years. 

A great QB can carry a dog coach on the off year or two.  But until and if the Jets find their Belichick there will be no Patriot-esque domination (if indeed such a dynasty ever exists again). 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Reporters last year: How long before you retire?

Brady: I want to play until I am 45

Jets draft Darnold.

Reporters this year: How long before you retire?

Brady: Sooner rather than later

Correlation does not equal causation.

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Every year this is a list of things, they look mortal early and then win 9 of 10 and get the first round bye, which is usually a bye to the Championship game. Maybe Darnold can stem the flow.

5 hours ago, PCP63 said:

there's always someone who comes along and is better.  in just about every sport there's always a better player coming down the pike.  it make take 10 years or it may take 20 or even more.  brady can wear the goat title for now. h'll get knocked off just like every other goat.

but when people start talking about retirement their mojo has got to start declining.  a couple of bad games and brady's retirement may come sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

he actually sounds human in the interview - not sure I like that. Low life, deviant, cheater who sold his soul to the devil is more the image I prefer

Good news, since once you start thinking about it, there is not much time left...

Parceels used to say: "If you're thinking about retirement.... Guess what ? You're retired. " I think this is Cindy's last year.

Archived