McCown says Darnold is the right QB for the job

UnknownJetFan

28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

darnold-hansen.png?w=1000&h=509&crop=1

3SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

Every great quarterback-wide receiver duo has to start from scratch somewhere. The Jets are hoping they have one forming out west.

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold and second-year wideout Chad Hansen are getting to know each other well. The two California natives were recently seen working out together. Their session made it to Instagram.

p?c1=7&c2=6921732&c3=100

Hansen, a fourth-round selection last year, mostly went by the wayside as a rookie, though he did earn more playing time toward the end of the season. Despite his lack of production, the wide receiver has turned heads this offseason. In hopes of challenging some of the Jets’ new acquisitions for time on the field, Hansen looks to have the right idea preparing with the future shot-caller.

The third-overall pick, it’s not yet clear what Darnold’s role will be in 2018. He’s the future of the franchise, but it remains to be seen if he’ll start right away or spend time learning from the bench. He’ll get a legitimate crack at the job, though — his work ethic and instincts have garnered nothing but praise.

I'm not going to lie, reading this made it move a little.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

After sifting through all of the hyperbole and canned answers, even the most pessimistic fan can't deny that all the positive chatter we've been hearing about Darnold just FEELS different than any young QB that's marched through Florham Park in a long time.  For the first time in many moons, I think we can legitimately say that there's "hope."

Plus don’t forget the Browns passed on him, the Browns passing on a possible franchise QB either by trading out, or selecting the wrong one, or not selecting one at all, and that guy they didn’t take turns into franchise QB jinx is much bigger then the Jets QB Jinx.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Plus don’t forget the Browns passed on him, the Browns passing on a possible franchise QB either by trading out, or selecting the wrong one, or not selecting one at all, and that guy they didn’t take turns into franchise QB jinx is much bigger then the Jets QB Jinx.

LOL their jinx outweighs ours.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Read every on record quote from Jets players and coaches from the past two years about Christian Hackenberg. If Darnold was struggling you'd be hearing those same quotes about him.

By the way, McCown's quote in the OP sounds more like it came from a coach than it does a teammate who plays the same position as the player being discussed. They never hired a QB coach because McCown is the QB coach. He just also happens to be a backup QB as well.

Totally agree with McCown as the QB coach. He's a different animal and makes it work.  Think we're lucky to have him on the roster/CS.  But I don't think we're ever heard ours of complaints that Hack had issues, on the record, from a coach or players.  Want it one anonimous coach?

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

darnold-hansen.png?w=1000&h=509&crop=1

3SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

Every great quarterback-wide receiver duo has to start from scratch somewhere. The Jets are hoping they have one forming out west.

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold and second-year wideout Chad Hansen are getting to know each other well. The two California natives were recently seen working out together. Their session made it to Instagram.

p?c1=7&c2=6921732&c3=100

Hansen, a fourth-round selection last year, mostly went by the wayside as a rookie, though he did earn more playing time toward the end of the season. Despite his lack of production, the wide receiver has turned heads this offseason. In hopes of challenging some of the Jets’ new acquisitions for time on the field, Hansen looks to have the right idea preparing with the future shot-caller.

The third-overall pick, it’s not yet clear what Darnold’s role will be in 2018. He’s the future of the franchise, but it remains to be seen if he’ll start right away or spend time learning from the bench. He’ll get a legitimate crack at the job, though — his work ethic and instincts have garnered nothing but praise.

What I like about the video is they aren't just out playing catch before they. go out for beer and taco's.  If you notice they have cones, and some kind of ladder thing on the ground, that was either recommended by Bates or Palmer,  so Darnold can work on his foot work.  Good stuff

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

encouraging...but sometimes i wonder when Josh McCown became the authority on what it means to be a winning QB.

You know, this is a good point. It’s 2018, we’re four years into this “rebuild,” and the two current spokesmen for the franchise are Josh McCown and Buster Skrine. 

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Totally agree with McCown as the QB coach. He's a different animal and makes it work.  Think we're lucky to have him on the roster/CS.  But I don't think we're ever heard ours of complaints that Hack had issues, on the record, from a coach or players.  Want it one anonimous coach?

They never flat-out said that he sucked, but you heard a lot about the need to become more consistent. Players said his arm was impressive but still had a long way to go before being ready. It wasn't outright negative, but they certainly weren't praising him.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know, this is a good point. It’s 2018, we’re four years into this “rebuild,” and the two current spokesmen for the franchise are Josh McCown and Buster Skrine. 

McCowns role is to teach him how to act, break down video, practice, work out, interact with the team. . You don't need to be a winning QB to know how to prepare. 

Skrine is a team spokesman ?  Lol sure he is.

8 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

If he felt like Darnold was not doing well he would be more likely to redirect the question by answering about himself or the offense as a whole. It's highly likely McCown becomes a qb coach after he retired as a player. The only benefit he gets out of hanging his hat on a rookie playing below his draft spot is hoping the Jets keep him as a coach and he doesn't think any other team would want him as a coach. 

These are all great points.

One need not look any further than Baker Mayfield and how the Browns have stated that he is NOT ready to start based on how he has looked and that is with him working out almost exclusively with the No. 2's on his team.

And IMO I really believe that Baker Mayfield is going to be a very very Good QB in the NFL, but the statements that Baker isn't quite ready to compete for the starting position are a little proof that positive statements don't have to be made about Darnold......

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yes. He couldn’t come back fast enough to help the young guys along. 

Hmmmmm remember when Fitz thought any criticism of him when he had 6 TDs and 11 INTs was somehow an indictment of others!

Leadership at its finest and I like the dude!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm remember when Fitz thought any criticism of him when he had 6 TDs and 11 INTs was somehow an indictment of others!

Leadership at its finest and I like the dude!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Crusher was being sarcastic about Fitz helping the kids. You didn't understand him, Charlie.

3 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Crusher was being sarcastic about Fitz helping the kids. You didn't understand him, Charlie.

Yes I knew that Crusher was being sarcastic ... 

I just wanted to pile on Fitz the original Leader of men!!! :) 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

What I like about the video is they aren't just out playing catch before they. go out for beer and taco's.  If you notice they have cones, and some kind of ladder thing on the ground, that was either recommended by Bates or Palmer,  so Darnold can work on his foot work.  Good stuff

Love how the ball just explodes out of his hand. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

One need not look any further than Baker Mayfield and how the Browns have stated that he is NOT ready to start based on how he has looked and that is with him working out almost exclusively with the No. 2's on his team.

And IMO I really believe that Baker Mayfield is going to be a very very Good QB in the NFL, but the statements that Baker isn't quite ready to compete for the starting position are a little proof that positive statements don't have to be made about Darnold......

Actually sounded worse CB.  The report was Mayfield wasn't ready to compete for the starting spot.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually sounded worse CB.  The report was Mayfield wasn't ready to compete for the starting spot.

You are so right.  I did see those reports, just trying to be kind.  :)  

I have been watching the Jets pick guys “who aren't quite ready yet” for over forty years.   

I am just glad for once that it is somebody else trying to justify those reports.

Jets Jets Jets

6 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

After sifting through all of the hyperbole and canned answers, even the most pessimistic fan can't deny that all the positive chatter we've been hearing about Darnold just FEELS different than any young QB that's marched through Florham Park in a long time.  For the first time in many moons, I think we can legitimately say that there's "hope."

Long time? More like ever!

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Mayfield should not be even in the same breath as Darnold, Mayfield will go down as one of the biggest/best con artist to get himself picked #1 overall, so glad the Browns fell for the shtick saving the Jets from themselves, and allowing THE guy to fall in their lap.

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I don't get the impression that CB missed the point.

6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Mark Brunell swore that Mark Sanchez was the right guy, too. Josh McCown banked $10mm for the right to be Darnold's babysitter, so he's got plenty of incentive to heap praise on the dude.

I think Darnold > Suckchez

On 7/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jack Straw said:

Mark Brunell swore that Mark Sanchez was the right guy, too. Josh McCown banked $10mm for the right to be Darnold's babysitter, so he's got plenty of incentive to heap praise on the dude.

Don't ever remember Brunnel saying these type things in regards to Sanchez's future.  

On 7/8/2018 at 6:30 PM, Patriot Killa said:

They always say veterans can tell if a rookie QB has the goods/ will be a good player. 

It was already well documented but after this particular post...I’d say we should be feeling great.

We finally have the best qb situation in nfl? After being so unlucky all these years. A vet   guy like McCown coming off a good year, actually doing everything he can to unselfishly help the sky is the limit rookie. McCown knows this kid is going to take his job at some point this year, and is maybe doing more than the coaches to help darnold get there.  I’m so glad we don’t have a old selfish qb like Eli Manning Who wanted no part in mentoring.  . 

30 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We finally have the best qb situation in nfl? After being so unlucky all these years. A vet   guy like McCown coming off a good year, actually doing everything he can to unselfishly help the sky is the limit rookie. McCown knows this kid is going to take his job at some point this year, and is maybe doing more than the coaches to help darnold get there.  I’m so glad we don’t have a old selfish qb like Eli Manning Who wanted no part in mentoring.  . 

Right, but to be fair, I would of enjoyed those two SB rings against the Patriots. 

On 7/9/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jack Straw said:

Or talk him up maybe Josh's plan, get paid sit on the bench cant get injured that way. 

Archived