Jets Training Camp - 7/29

Patriot Killa

How many sacks do you estimate Nathan Shepherd to have in year 1?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Select one:

• 0-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10 +

Hey, guys! First day of padded practice coming up today. Boy is this going to be exciting. A few members of the forum will be present at practice today and I hope you(and/or) your families all have a great time. It was cool to see players signing autographs and such late after practice yesterday. I’m telling you, this is a good team of New York Jets here and you can tell on “One Jets Drive”. 

For a second here’s some of my own thoughts from yesterday and I may kind of be piggybacking off KRL here, but it’s more to re-emphasize on a few great efforts than anything else, though I think this is stuff that everyone is kind of getting the feeling of. 

- Nathan Shepherd can be an impact player for years to come...and this year in particular

- Chad Hansen is still doing good to get separation on a play and his route running is coming along well. The biggest knock on his scouting report was could he learn how to get better separation and get off those jams at the LOS.

- Teddy is looking good, McCown is looking good and we have some QB’s that can hold us up while this Darnold thing plays out. 

- Almost every player that shined yesterday was a rookie or 2nd year player. This is what you want more than anything else.(Derrick Jones, Jeremy Clark, Dylan Donahue, Parry Nickerson, Foley, Nathan, Hansen.)

- Leo sounds better than ever. Jamal is playing like an all-around player instead of just good run support and Jordan Jenkins is a TFL machine so far.

- Doug Middleton is actually underrated. He is a swing player who can play both positions and he can be a very solid role player. 

- Spencer Long can be our guy. 

Lots of positives to take away from the first two days. Now I’d like to chop it up for a second over Nathan Shepherd because he looks unstoppable. How many sacks do you think Shepherd can produce in Year 1? 

Hit up the poll above and let us know.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the post and poll.  That said, sack totals for an interior lineman coming from a tiny school in the middle of no where, if he ends up with 4 sacks, it would be a huge year for him.  

And anyone is expecting 7+ sacks, they are probably going to be disappointed, and for no real reason.

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Thanks for the post and poll.  That said, sack totals for an interior lineman coming from a tiny school in the middle of no where, if he ends up with 4 sacks, it would be a huge year for him.  

And anyone is expecting 7+ sacks, they are probably going to be disappointed, and for no real reason.

I’m excited for him. I think we found a good one in the third.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m excited for him. I think we found a good one in the third.

I do too.  I am optimistic for his development but could understand if he ends up taking time to come around.

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I do too.  I am optimistic for his development but could understand if he ends up taking time to come around.

Absolutely agree. There will definitely be a learning curve. It’s unrealistic to expect him not to have one from Division 2 —> NFL but I think off his brute strength alone that he will be good.

just needs to get his technique polished!!

In a way, I think Sam not being there is good. Everything was about him and this could be a humbling experience to bring him back down to Earth— now he will have more to prove because some people may have soured a little on him. 

Bowles mentioned that they may not even add another RB. He mentioned we have some full backs who can contribute and Rawls made a nice impression on us so we’ll see.

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If this is true, this sounds more and more like Sexton trying to set a precedent for future clients.  That is unbelievably disrespectful to Sam, the player he's supposed to be worried about right now.  For example: a player with extraordinary talent but an injury history or "shaky" off the field history gets drafted?  "SIGN WITH ME, JIMMY SEXTON!  WE'LL SQUEEZE EVERY PENNY OUT OF THESE GUYS!  EVEN IF YOU KILL 3 HOOKERS OR RIDE A MOTORCYCLE WITH NO HELMET ON, YOU'LL STILL GET THAT $$$$$".  

If I were Sam, the second this nonsense is over, I'd kick Jimmy to the curb.  Good on the Jets for holding firm.  I can't believe I'm agreeing with Manish Mehta.  There's "looking out for your client" and then there's selfishly taking advantage of him and his situation for your own personal gain in the future.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

If this is true, this sounds more and more like Sexton trying to set a precedent for future clients.  That is unbelievably disrespectful to Sam, the player he's supposed to be worried about right now.  For example: a player with extraordinary talent but an injury history or "shaky" off the field history gets drafted?  "SIGN WITH ME, JIMMY SEXTON.  WE'LL SQUEEZE EVERY PENNY OUT OF THESE GUYS, EVEN IF YOU KILL 3 HOOKERS OR RIDE A MOTORCYCLE WITH NO HELMET ON, YOU'LL GET THAT $$$$$".  

If I were Sam, the second this nonsense is over, I'd kick Jimmy to the curb.

Agreed. Sam needs to step up here, he is the one getting hurt.

Just now, Maxman said:

Agreed. Sam needs to step up here, he is the one getting hurt.

He’s holed up in a hotel nearby, probably with his parents, just doing nothing while his team is practicing a few miles away.  It’s got to be eating at him by the minute.

I can certainly understand the thought that a team does not want to go against the norm with this forfeiture thing but it makes me want to choke when we worry about this thing on a 1st contract,  not the 2nd big money one when this team has handed millions and millions to vet dog players like revis and mowilk

Archived