Amari Cooper to the Cowboys.

sec101row23

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All the talking heads that are bashing Gruden will be kissing his feet in a few years. The man is stockpiling a ton of draft picks for the future. He knows that half-a$$ing it for 5 years is never the answer. Trade away all your good players. Tank. Use tons of high draft picks to build a roster best suited for the type of football you want to play. 

It's only something a guy on a massive, long term contract can pull off. 

Although I rarely agree with you JoJo you hit the nail on the head with this one. Gruden and the Raiders look lost out there but there is a method to the madness. Don't be surprised if a certain Raiders QB is dealt in the off-season for a slew of picks to a QB needy team(Giants?). It certainly looks like that could happen. If they can deal Mack they can deal anyone. Wouldn't it be just like the Giants to land Derek Carr for a bunch of picks? That would go a long way towards curing all their ills on Offense. It will be interesting to see Grudens next move as he isn't afraid to make the big moves and wait until he gets the deal he wants. Gruden crazy? Crazy like a fox.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Although I rarely agree with you JoJo you hit the nail on the head with this one. Gruden and the Raiders look lost out there but there is a method to the madness. Don't be surprised if a certain Raiders QB is dealt in the off-season for a slew of picks to a QB needy team(Giants?). It certainly looks like that could happen. If they can deal Mack they can deal anyone. Wouldn't it be just like the Giants to land Derek Carr for a bunch of picks? That would go a long way towards curing all their ills on Offense. It will be interesting to see Grudens next move as he isn't afraid to make the big moves and wait until he gets the deal he wants. Gruden crazy? Crazy like a fox.

he's thrown away the season...  we'll see hwta his scouting coaching acumen is over the next 2-3 yrs

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Lol. Do the Cowboys think they're one player away?

Who can we trade to them while they're throwing draft picks around?

I never understood this train of thought. The goal should be to acquire good players in any way you can. If you have 7 draft picks the odds are that only 2 will be starting caliber. That's just a fact. So this thought that you can bring in a bunch of starters from 1 individual draft is a myth. The only way to get better quickly is by using every avenue to make your team better. You need to be able to use trades, free agency and the draft in order to make your team better. If you don't use all of those you're screwed. 

And people can bash the Cowboys for trading a first but at least they have balls. This front office and ownership have none and it will hurt Darnold. Mark my words that in 2019 we will not have a legit #1 RB or#1 WR again. The Jets organization is too pussy to make a bold move. You can't go bargain shopping and expect to get better.

2 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

Didn’t work so great for the Browns did it? 

At the end of the day he needs to pick the right players. 

I don't know, they have Myles Garrett/Mayfield/Ward/Chubb/Njoku and some other good young pieces. Some of you guys want instant gratification. You want to tank and win a super bowl in 2 years. The Browns will be a good team for a long time. It's just not going to happen over night, especially with Hue Jackson at the helm. 

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

he's thrown away the season...  we'll see hwta his scouting coaching acumen is over the next 2-3 yrs

At least he is positioning them for success and building for the future. Granted he had the chips to trade but this is how you set yourself up to build a contender that will compete for years. Now lets see if he can take the next step and draft accordingly.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

At least he is positioning them for success and building for the future. Granted he had the chips to trade but this is how you set yourself up to build a contender that will compete for years. Now lets see if he can take the next step and draft accordingly.

As always, it will come down to the old argument. Can Gruden actually coach? These are all GM decisions. 

17 hours ago, BCJet said:

Sadly Teddy Bs value would also now be a first rounder given the situation in Jacksonville and with the Giants

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... That would be after the major QB controversy that Jets fans and media would have helped inspire during our 3 game skid.  The 3rd was great and at the right time. 

I never understood this train of thought. The goal should be to acquire good players in any way you can. If you have 7 draft picks the odds are that only 2 will be starting caliber. That's just a fact. So this thought that you can bring in a bunch of starters from 1 individual draft is a myth. The only way to get better quickly is by using every avenue to make your team better. You need to be able to use trades, free agency and the draft in order to make your team better. If you don't use all of those you're screwed. 

And people can bash the Cowboys for trading a first but at least they have balls. This front office and ownership have none and it will hurt Darnold. Mark my words that in 2019 we will not have a legit #1 RB or#1 WR again. The Jets organization is too pussy to make a bold move. You can't go bargain shopping and expect to get better.

You can’t throw away first rounders like they’re chocolate. That’s a simple truth that goes too far in the “risk” department, especially for a WR with as many issues catching the ball that Cooper brings to the table.

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

As always, it will come down to thes the next step. It will be interesting to see if Gruden can make it work.old argument. Can Gruden actually coach? These are all GM decisions. 

Agreed. If he gets the guys that he feels he can work with from the beginning meaning young players he can teach to play "his way" than I think he will be successful. The players have to buy into what the coach is selling and the scheme has too work. So far not so much judging by the results. He has the time to turn over the roster as JoJo stated and if he can get players that fit what he wants to do I think he can be successful but it has to work on the field. That is the next step. It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

18 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Per Shefter and ESPN   

Dallas trading a first for Cooper.  Yikes.  

This is a crappy trade for Dallas.  These first round picks are like gold because you have the potential to have a top-flight player for five years at a reasonable, club-friendly salary.  Plus, this guy has not been a world-beater lately.   Almost makes it look like Gruden knows what he is doing.

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As Jets fans it seems we’re conditioned to think picks are worth less than they are because of how bad our GM’s have been.

You do realize some teams out there hit on their 1sts, and their other picks as well, kind of a lot, right?

Even the Jets hit on their firsts. People hate Macc because of the middle rounds

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We need to see who else they have that we can get on the cheap.

I think the issue is that these guys were not cheap.  I wouldn't pay the price paid, so I have no problem being out.

13 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

What a horrible take from Bucky.  If you were to re-draft Cooper he wouldn’t be a first round pick anymore, let alone a top 10 pick.  

He was 4th overall! 

I think most teams would still take him over Kevin White, or Perriman.  I doubt he'd go 4th overall, but I am pretty sure there aren't 32 players out of that draft people would take over him - or even Fowler for that matter.

12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

It will be interesting to see Grudens next move as he isn't afraid to make the big moves and wait until he gets the deal he wants. Gruden crazy? Crazy like a fox.

I think he is crazy like a crazy person.  The Raiders have gotten their ask for these players, so it looks good, but I am not sure that I believe the "method to the madness" talk.  Gruden hasn't built a team and I have no confidence that he can. 

14 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

But.....but.............he LOVED Hackenburg....he is a QB guru so I heard.......

Jun 14, 2018

"Everybody is an expert out there on Hackenberg and thinks he can't play," Gruden said as the Raiders wrapped up a three-day mandatory minicamp. "It's unfortunate, this whole collective [bargaining agreement]. How do you develop a quarterback? I don't know how you do it."

Then there's this: Coach Jon Gruden was more than enamored with Hackenberg when he came out of Penn State and appeared on Gruden's QB Camp show on ESPN in 2016.

Gruden loves everybody in the draft.  I assume that was only talk, but it is why I find it amusing when people use his quotes to prop up their favorite prospect, or his love of some successful player to indicate that he knows something.  Paxton Lynch = Cam Newton, if Derek Carr doesn't play well I am not doing my job. 

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

1st round picks are so overrated. Out of those 5 picks in the next 2 years the odds are that only 2 of them will live up to their draft status. This isn't Madden. 

Draft status isn't all that is important.  Value is.  Leonard Williams is making around $3M per on his rookie deal.  Wilkerson is semi-disgraced and got $5M from the Packers to add to the $9M we are paying him in 2018.  Richardson is getting around $10M from the Vikings.  Which would you prefer?  I don't feel Williams is a particular "hit" as a draft pick either.

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

The goal is to get good players, but you hamstring yourself by giving up a first to pay a WR with concussion issues $14M for one season.  Mack is a great player, but the Bears are paying him $141M for 6.  It isn't just the picks, it is the lack of financial flexibility.  Darnold is making what?  Around $8M per?  Having him for 4 years on his rookie deal is a huge bargain when you consider starting QBs are in the $20+M range. It's not balls that create a good roster, it's brains.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can’t throw away first rounders like they’re chocolate. That’s a simple truth that goes too far in the “risk” department, especially for a WR with as many issues catching the ball that Cooper brings to the table.

Who the **** throws away chocolate?

12 hours ago, choon328 said:

Bold moves makes sense if you're close. The Cowboys are not on the verge of winning it all. 

How you acquire players should be highly dependent on the composition of your roster. If you're a 1-15 team, spending a huge chunk of your cap on a star cornerback makes no sense. Bad teams should seek to compile as many lottery tickets (draft picks) as they can possibly acquire.

8 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Bold moves makes sense if you're close. The Cowboys are not on the verge of winning it all. 

How you acquire players should be highly dependent on the composition of your roster. If you're a 1-15 team, spending a huge chunk of your cap on a star cornerback makes no sense. Bad teams should seek to compile as many lottery tickets (draft picks) as they can possibly acquire.

Dallas isn't a bad team though

32 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Amari drops is a myth...  about 8 guys had more, inclujding Robbie

people just say shchitt/....  smh...

i dunno somegthing happened after carrs leg busted...  he fell in love w/ crabtree... we see what happened to the niners whne THAT happens...

Well Crabtree was gone this year and Cooper vanished in 2 or 3 games. He was great in the other 2 games. It's a mystery. It could just have been poor coaching, poor QB play, or it could be that Cooper is just not a consistent WR. 

I would have loved to have Cooper, but not for anything close to a 1st round pick. If I am giving away first round picks, I rather have given up 2 to get Mack than 1 to get Cooper. 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the issue is that these guys were not cheap.  I wouldn't pay the price paid, so I have no problem being out.

He was 4th overall! 

I think most teams would still take him over Kevin White, or Perriman.  I doubt he'd go 4th overall, but I am pretty sure there aren't 32 players out of that draft people would take over him - or even Fowler for that matter.

I think he is crazy like a crazy person.  The Raiders have gotten their ask for these players, so it looks good, but I am not sure that I believe the "method to the madness" talk.  Gruden hasn't built a team and I have no confidence that he can. 

You could be right about Gruden being crazy if you go by his facial expressions. That being said he is doing it his way right or wrong. So either he will build a winner or set the team back decades. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

18 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Bucky Brooks saying there is no wide receiver in the next draft class worth a first round pick.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuckyBrooks/status/1054501223670284293

Gil Brandt‏ @Gil_Brandt 20h20 hours ago

Looking at top 50 players for 2019 draft (incl underclassmen I think are coming out) I understand what Dallas is thinking. No WR in top 25. Say Cowboys draft around 20, they'd be reaching for WR less capable than Cooper & they get him for 9 games in 2018. Good deal for Cowboys.

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well Crabtree was gone this year and Cooper vanished in 2 or 3 games. He was great in the other 2 games. It's a mystery. It could just have been poor coaching, poor QB play, or it could be that Cooper is just not a consistent WR. 

I would have loved to have Cooper, but not for anything close to a 1st round pick. If I am giving away first round picks, I rather have given up 2 to get Mack than 1 to get Cooper. 

Probably why no one other than Jerry offered more than a 2 for him.  I would have done a 3, would probably have gone with a 2.  Maybe, he's just not been consistent enough

That is a good argument and makes a good deal of sense.  Amari is pretty good, but I feel like when he bulked up that he was never the same.  Like he lost a little explosiveness.  He’s back to being slimmer but the legs didn’t return for so,e reason.  That’s just pretty poor strength and conditioning.

I Cant believe how far the Raiders have fallen.  I suspect their locker room let them down ultimately.

Archived