5 moves the Jets could make before next weeks trade deadline

joewilly12

5 moves the Jets could make before next week's trade deadline

Andy Vasquez, NFL writerPublished 12:41 p.m. ET Oct. 23, 2018 | Updated 1:49 p.m. ET Oct. 23, 2018

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold talks about the team's 37-17 loss to the Vikings on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. Andy Vasquez, Staff Writer, @andy_vasquez

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

The Jets have suffered a slew of injuries in the last few weeks. And coach Todd Bowles on Monday acknowledged that they may have to make some moves to bolster their depth as they reach the midpoint of the season on Sunday in Chicago. 

On defense, the Jets have been playing down two starting cornerbacks and it’s not clear when Trumaine Johnson (quad) or Buster Skrine (concussion) will be back. Starting safety Marcus Maye is out for the near future with a broken thumb, and his backup Doug Middleton is likely done for the season after tearing his pectoral muscle on Sunday. 

Offense the Jets were down to two healthy, proven receivers last week — Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse — as Quincy Enunwa deals with a high ankle sprain and Terrelle Pryor was cut with a groin injury. They added free agent Rishard Matthewson Tuesday, but could be looking for more stability in the trade market as they need to give rookie quarterback Sam Darnold weapons to work with.

And if Bilal Powell’s neck injury is serious (the Jets had no update Monday), Isaiah Crowell would be the only proven running back on the roster.

So the next week could be a busy one for general manager Mike Maccagnan, as Jets have plenty of holes to fill. Here are five moves they could make before next Tuesday’s (Oct. 30) trade deadline. 

S Deone Bucannon, Cardinals

The Jets have an immediate need at safety with Maye out for the next few games and Middleton likely lost for the season. And Bucannon could be a perfect fit. The Cardinals don’t have a use for him as a linebacker in their 4-3 defense and Bucannon thrived as a safety in Todd Bowles’ 3-4 defense in Arizona. A reunion could give the Jets some much needed depth and perhaps some pass rushing help — he had five sacks in his first two seasons.

WR DeVante Parker, Dolphins

Parker has been used sparingly by the Dolphins this season and is clearly frustrated about it. The 25-year-old could be just the boost the Jets offense needs, he’s a playmaker with a lot of potential. But it would likely cost the Jets a mid-round pick, which would not be worth it unless Parker is part of the long-term future. He also may be taking an increased role in the Dolphins’ offense after Albert Wilson’s injury. 

RB Ameer Abdullah, Lions

If Powell is seriously injured, the Jets are going to need to bring in another running back. And Abdullah could fit the role. The 25-year-old has fallen out of favor in Detroit, behind rookie running back Kerryon Johnson. But Abdullah has proven to be a viable backup in past years and is a threat to catch passes.

WR Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos

Sanders is still a productive receiver at 31 years old and could be a good presence for Darnold in the offense. But his production has dropped in each of the last two seasons and he’ll be 32 next season and carrying a cap hit of $12.9 million. He’d help the Jets immediately, but it may not be worth trading a draft pick and paying him next year when they can likely get better value in free agency.

CB Patrick Peterson, Cardinals

This would help bolster the Jets’ banged-up secondary in a big way. Peterson, who reportedly wants out of Arizona, is one of the best cornerbacks in football. And teaming him with Johnson would give the Jets one of the leagues best cornerback duos for years to come. But the Cardinals’ asking price will be very high, and the Jets would have to invest a lot of cap space at cornerback when the have greater needs elsewhere on the defense.  

There is no way this team should be paying anything significant for some of these guys, once again highlights poor depth, terrible development and lousy drafting.  RBs are down?  The dude from the psquad should step in, CBs are down the guy we have been developing for two years should step in.  WRs are down guys like charon peake should step up.  Rashard Robisons 'the most improved player on the team!' bellows Todd bowles.  Where is he?

I don't want to use more than 6th round pick on anyone.  Patrick P will require AT LEAST a 1st round pick and likely more than 1.  We're not doing that.

Buchanon is interesting if the price is low enough given our need at Safety and his ability to play hybrid LB.  He is a poor man's Jamal Adams though, not really the FS we need.

WRs are obviously a need and I like the veteran experience Emmanuel Sanders could bring, but he's kind of like Jermaine Kearse in that regard.  He'll also be 32 next season and isn't a piece that we'd build around for the future.

Man, these WR injuries have people itching to make a move.  Again, I don't want to use draft picks, certainly not valuable ones, on anybody for a rebuilding team.  IMO the cash signing we did for Matthews today is the kind of move we should be making to get a 3-4 team with no playoff hopes through a few weeks of positional injury problems.

With any/every move we make we need to ask three questions:

1. Does this support the rebuild and a successful Jets team in 2019+ ?

2. Does this help/hurt the Jets ability to acquire talent in the future (by using Draft picks or Cap space)?

3. Does the help support our rookie QB and his development?

Taking a guy like Rishard Matthews as an example, I'd argue that it COULD be helpful for next year (#1), it doesn't hurt our ability to acquire future talent (#2) and it supports our QB (even if it's just a temporary crutch for a few weeks).

Acquiring a guy like Pat P. would support a better defense but would be an exorbitant cost and doesn't help Darnold and the offense.  He would also be the 3rd First Round pick in the Secondary.  No go!

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

We need to find someone who can snap the ball.

We don't often agree Mike... but kudos for hijacking this thread to hammer this point home again!   It cannot be said enough until it is fixed.

Spencer Long is actually a danger to Sam Darnold with his lousy snaps.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

We need to find someone who can snap the ball.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

We don't often agree Mike... but kudos for hijacking this thread to hammer this point home again!   It cannot be said enough until it is fixed.

Spencer Long is actually a danger to Sam Darnold with his lousy snaps.

A bad snap destroys the play before it even starts. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A bad snap destroys the play before it even starts. 

Agreed.  But as I've said before... my real fear is one of Long's snaps getting Darnold killed by a Khalil Mack hit or Darnold having a body part like his right hand or knee crunched at the bottom of a fumble scrum trying to recover one.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

With any/every move we make we need to ask three questions:

1. Does this support the rebuild and a successful Jets team in 2019+ ?

2. Does this help/hurt the Jets ability to acquire talent in the future (by using Draft picks or Cap space)?

3. Does the help support our rookie QB and his development?

Taking a guy like Rishard Matthews as an example, I'd argue that it COULD be helpful for next year (#1), it doesn't hurt our ability to acquire future talent (#2) and it supports our QB (even if it's just a temporary crutch for a few weeks).

Acquiring a guy like Pat P. would support a better defense but would be an exorbitant cost and doesn't help Darnold and the offense.  He would also be the 3rd First Round pick in the Secondary.  No go!

Draft picks don't matter outside of the 1st round for Macc. So I modified that to read cap space as the only concern.  :)

No interest in any. In fact I would seriously consider trading Leo and Adams before the deadline if we can get first rounders. Both add little to this teams success if we are honest. Adams is decent as a nickel linebacker for situational pass rusher and the occasional run stuff TFL but he is a complete liability at his actual position of safety.

Center, Left Tackle, WR and RB in first 4 picks if we did that. Protect Darnold. Only thing that matters.

Stewart and Hansen's lack of development now really hurts in this situation. They should have been the plug in the hole.

It's almost not worth drafting WR's. They seem so hit and miss. I'd imagine there are stats to back this isn't the case however.

If I'm the Jets I would not trade any picks unless it's for a player who is about the level you'd expect to be able to pick up in the draft and has no personality issues plus is going to be here a few years to justify the pick.

No to all of this. Any of it.

WE DONT HAVE THE DRAFT CAPITAL TO SPARE... and we’re not chasing a Lombardi. Enough of this crap. We already made “the trade” and we got Darnold.

Click bait garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Paradis said:

WE DONT HAVE THE DRAFT CAPITAL TO SPARE... and we’re not chasing a Lombardi. Enough of this crap. We already made “the trade” and we got Darnold.

Click bait garbage.

Yep. None of those players are worth parting with a draft pick.

Maccagnan got a third back from the Saints for Bridgewater, but that probably figures to be a late round pick. In the meantime, the Jets don't have their second round pick. 

Right now the Jets hold the 11th pick in the first round, no picks in the second round, the 9th and 30th picks in the 3rd round,  the eighth pick in the fourth round, the 14th pick in the fifth round, no picks in the sixth round (our sixth round pick was traded to the Saints with Bridgewater) and the fourth and 12th picks in the seventh round. The Jets don't have much to trade while building a roster around Darnold and looking for a pass rusher in the draft.

Making a move as suggested probably means that Maccagnan (or whomever is the GM in the off-season) has to spend even more in free agency to fill gaps in the roster.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Yep. None of those players are worth parting with a draft pick.

Maccagnan got a third back from the Saints for Bridgewater, but that probably figures to be a late round pick. In the meantime, the Jets don't have their second round pick. 

Right now the Jets hold the 11th pick in the first round, no picks in the second round, the 9th and 30th picks in the 3rd round,  the eighth pick in the fourth round, the 14th pick in the fifth round, no picks in the sixth round (our sixth round pick was traded to the Saints with Bridgewater) and the fourth and 12th picks in the seventh round. The Jets don't have much to trade while building a roster around Darnold and looking for a pass rusher in the draft.

Making a move as suggested probably means that Maccagnan (or whomever is the GM in the off-season) has to spend even more in free agency to fill gaps in the roster.

In Macc we trust. 

I would pass on everyone of these players outside of maybe Parker if we felt he was a long term answer. Keep the picks we have those 3rd rounders better both be OL and that 1st should be BPA on offense. 

As for our cap space I’d love to add an edge and then trade for high caliber players on bad deals or who is looking for some more money. Julio Jones is someone I’d have my eye on. He’ll have 2 years with $13.5M and $13M remaining on his deal after this year (age 30 in February). I’d consider swapping 1st round picks with Atlanta to make it happen. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

5 moves the Jets could make before next week's trade deadline

Andy Vasquez, NFL writerPublished 12:41 p.m. ET Oct. 23, 2018 | Updated 1:49 p.m. ET Oct. 23, 2018

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold talks about the team's 37-17 loss to the Vikings on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. Andy Vasquez, Staff Writer, @andy_vasquez

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

The Jets have suffered a slew of injuries in the last few weeks. And coach Todd Bowles on Monday acknowledged that they may have to make some moves to bolster their depth as they reach the midpoint of the season on Sunday in Chicago. 

On defense, the Jets have been playing down two starting cornerbacks and it’s not clear when Trumaine Johnson (quad) or Buster Skrine (concussion) will be back. Starting safety Marcus Maye is out for the near future with a broken thumb, and his backup Doug Middleton is likely done for the season after tearing his pectoral muscle on Sunday. 

Offense the Jets were down to two healthy, proven receivers last week — Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse — as Quincy Enunwa deals with a high ankle sprain and Terrelle Pryor was cut with a groin injury. They added free agent Rishard Matthewson Tuesday, but could be looking for more stability in the trade market as they need to give rookie quarterback Sam Darnold weapons to work with.

And if Bilal Powell’s neck injury is serious (the Jets had no update Monday), Isaiah Crowell would be the only proven running back on the roster.

So the next week could be a busy one for general manager Mike Maccagnan, as Jets have plenty of holes to fill. Here are five moves they could make before next Tuesday’s (Oct. 30) trade deadline. 

S Deone Bucannon, Cardinals

The Jets have an immediate need at safety with Maye out for the next few games and Middleton likely lost for the season. And Bucannon could be a perfect fit. The Cardinals don’t have a use for him as a linebacker in their 4-3 defense and Bucannon thrived as a safety in Todd Bowles’ 3-4 defense in Arizona. A reunion could give the Jets some much needed depth and perhaps some pass rushing help — he had five sacks in his first two seasons.

WR DeVante Parker, Dolphins

Parker has been used sparingly by the Dolphins this season and is clearly frustrated about it. The 25-year-old could be just the boost the Jets offense needs, he’s a playmaker with a lot of potential. But it would likely cost the Jets a mid-round pick, which would not be worth it unless Parker is part of the long-term future. He also may be taking an increased role in the Dolphins’ offense after Albert Wilson’s injury. 

RB Ameer Abdullah, Lions

If Powell is seriously injured, the Jets are going to need to bring in another running back. And Abdullah could fit the role. The 25-year-old has fallen out of favor in Detroit, behind rookie running back Kerryon Johnson. But Abdullah has proven to be a viable backup in past years and is a threat to catch passes.

WR Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos

Sanders is still a productive receiver at 31 years old and could be a good presence for Darnold in the offense. But his production has dropped in each of the last two seasons and he’ll be 32 next season and carrying a cap hit of $12.9 million. He’d help the Jets immediately, but it may not be worth trading a draft pick and paying him next year when they can likely get better value in free agency.

CB Patrick Peterson, Cardinals

This would help bolster the Jets’ banged-up secondary in a big way. Peterson, who reportedly wants out of Arizona, is one of the best cornerbacks in football. And teaming him with Johnson would give the Jets one of the leagues best cornerback duos for years to come. But the Cardinals’ asking price will be very high, and the Jets would have to invest a lot of cap space at cornerback when the have greater needs elsewhere on the defense.  

No.

Why trade for has beens?  

The only trade the jets should make now are for the future. No body over 26 yrs . If you trade a draft pick, I want that play to have his prime years ahead just like the draft pick would have just with a little more experience. I say give chargers a call see if we can get Tyrell Williams. They are loaded at wr and last year of contact also go explore the Dante Fowler trade again see if jags lower price or changed there mind since there in a down spiral.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Click bait garbage.

I thought you loved Parker coming out of school? Or am I misremembering?

Archived