Put Your Name On It

KRL

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josina Anderson on Harbaugh rumors, if true Maccagnan will be demoted or booted:

ig: josinaanderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson

What I said was a jets source inside the building reax to the report to me was they personally feel “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” & they “wouldn’t be surprised if the door was open” they also said—which I didn’t mention—they don’t feel Michigan should be pressed to keep him

Either Harbaugh

McCarthy

Toub

Not really interested in trying (and failing) to copy the hot "trend" and find the next McVay/Nagy; I don't think he's out there.  Give me someone with experience as a leader that has seen success as a head coach and can bring respectability and a winning culture back to the organization.  And who knows, maybe he's not going to be the coach that wins a championship here, but he'll be the one to lay the proper foundation for Darnold, Adams, and the rest of the core (and in that scenario, the coach that follows.) 

I added Toub because from what I've seen and read about him, he has many of those leadership traits.  And I kind of always liked the idea of a ST coach as HC.  They deal with players on both sides of the football, very focused on the details, etc.  I've never understood why more teams don't take a chance as opposed to another random young coordinator that has been running whatever system the HC tells him to run.  If I'm not mistaken I think John Harbaugh is the last one.

And to that point, Boyer would be my wildcard candidate.  At the least he deserves an interview.

10 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator

The problem here would be lack of NFL play calling experience -- just one season. Is he ready to be a head coach? You'll remember him mostly as a former NFL running back. He worked his way up the college and NFL coaching ranks as a running backs coach. He was Colorado's offensive coordinator from 2011-12. After serving as the Chiefs' running backs coach from 2013-17, he took over for Matt Nagy as offensive coordinator this season when the Bears hired Nagy to be their head coach. Having come from the Andy Reid coaching tree, Bieniemy knows what a sound offensive approach looks like. Can he develop a quarterback, though? 

Been there, done that.  In fact we're doing that right now with our current "Offensive" Coordinator.  Tony Sparano was a disaster  {RIP}.  Are we willing to go down this road AGAIN.  NO WAY.

15 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Been there, done that.  In fact we're doing that right now with our current "Offensive" Coordinator.  Tony Sparano was a disaster  {RIP}.  Are we willing to go down this road AGAIN.  NO WAY.

I like him, but I'd be hard pressed to give you tangible reasons other than "the Andy Reid tree is amazing", his resume from this one season, and a gut feeling.

Then again, I felt the same way about Nagy and ended up being right and grinding my teeth away over keeping Bowles another year instead of hiring him, so I got that under my belt.

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Let's give Rex Ryan another shot with a real QB. I'm kidding. Mostly. Kind of.

I'd take this with a really good OC and a new GM. Players play hard for him. You won't see DBs lining up 10-12 yards off the line and not chucking the receiver.  We were a credible name in the league when he coached us, until they started screwing with the parts around him. Snoopy bowl wasn't his brightest moment, but, at least you knew that they would compete almost every game, and that when you played our D you were going to be in a street fight for 4 quarters. I always thought he got a raw deal in his last two years.

I’m going with McCarthy. I think it’s a perfect scenario with what he’s worked with as far as QB’s go. Darnold is very much a Favre (gunslinger style) that McCarthy will work an offense to really get him going in the right direction. I believe the sticking points are the Big Apple scenario and the fact that the Johnsons run the organization like a circus. That might keep him away. He is probably more suited for a Midwest team anyway but he would be miles above anything this team has had since Parcells. 

29 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Whisenhunt is a good OC. Hasn’t done so well as a HC. 52W-73L.

Why anyone would want Wisenhunt is beyond me. Guy flat out sucks as a HC. Take the Warner SB season out of the equation and they guy couldn't do anything positive. He went through what, 5 drafted QB's and couldn't develop any in AZ, then gets the HC job in TN and gets the team 3 years of top 3 picks.... passs.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:14 AM, jetstream23 said:

I'm seeing McCarthy over and over here.  I get it, he's won a Super Bowl and made several playoff runs.  But I'm still not sure what the compelling case is for him.  The game may have passed him by.  I think he rode Aaron Rodgers for way too long.  When is the last time he developed a QB?

Not sure how you develop a QB when you have a franchise guy but some of Rodgers back ups have played well enough to go out and get nice contracts as starters( Flynn).  How many QBs has Bellicheck developed since Brady became starter?  

The Packers have won 2 of their last 3 games.  The one loss being to the Bears by 7 points.  They're playing better without McCarthy despite a subpar roster.  They're averaging 32 points per game over those past 3 games.

I see McCarthy a lot like Don Shula when he had Marino.  Really kind of wasted a great QB because he couldn't work the other areas of the team, never got the QB the running game he needed.  How do you only win one SB with Aaron Rodgers when guys like Eli Manning and Big Ben have multiple trophies?  It's why I hold guys like Mike Shanahan or even now, Pete Carroll and John Harbaugh in higher regard.  Those guys adapted, they changed.  Shanahan did the unimaginable....took the football out of Elway's hands and built the offense around a running game.  Pete Carroll has Russell Wilson in a game manager role right now and the Seahawks run the ball something like 72% of the time, highest % in the NFL.  And then there's Harbaugh, rebuilt his offense to suit a developing rookie QB who is less than an ideal passer.  In the NFL, you adapt or die.

Elway didnt win a Super Bowl till he was nearly 40.  Peyton was pretty old too.  It takes a  team.

I think the Green Bay talent base eroded over time.  Less strength at WR and RB.  Offensive line is horrible.  Defense is brutal too.  McCarthy took the blame for a depleted roster

On 12/26/2018 at 11:14 AM, jetstream23 said:

I'm not totally against it but I have very deep concerns about hiring McCarthy.  Would love to be convinced I'm wrong on him.

Lincoln Riley - Could be a very special coach for a long time. I'd go all in to get him away from Oklahoma. 

John Harbaugh - Don't think he'll leave Baltimore but he is the perfect NFL coach to build us a culture of winning long term.

Mike McCarthy - Light years better than anything we've had at coach for long time. Proven track record of winning and developing QB's.

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I want NOTHING to do with a retread. I think that not only is the selection of them very poor, but I think the milennial professional football players responds to a younger coach, or an exuberant coach like Carroll who acts like he is still 25.

For me:

Fantasy:

Lincoln Riley (my #1 choice. Yes I know he is college. But NFL teams consult with this guy and he would get the most of out of Darnold

Realistic:

#2 Shane Waldron I think he is going to be an AWESOME head coach. Theoretically a year or 2 early but that can be handled with hiring a decent DC/Assistant Head Coach

#3 Dave Toub Special teams guys make great head coaches as their job is inherently very similar, requiring them to coach up an ever changing roster of players, manage players from both offense and defense, call plays and strive for balance. Since HC is a managerial position ST coaches have a built in advantage. They tend to also be extremely strong at situational football. Just need the right OC and DC. Waldron and Williams as an example would round out a fantastic staff

4.  Zac Taylor Ideally would be part of a team with Waldron and Zac's brother, but Taylor is super well regarded for handling QBs

Those are really the ones I would focus on

I would also interview:

5, Brant Boyer He has done an unbelievable job this year and he is a special teams coach, so with the right OC and DC could be an excellent choice.

6. Eric Bienimy

7. Matt LaFleur

However my first call would be to Ozzie to see if maybe, just maybe he is interested in a football czar type of role and give complete control to him to choose GM, Player Personnell, Head Coach and run the show.

Nice job! I really enjoyed that read.

Fantasy:

Lincoln Riley

Reality: (In no particular order):

Mike McCarthy

Eric Bieniemy

Dave Toub

Matt Lafleur

Pete Carmichael

Matt Campbell

Kris Richard (Yes I know, Defense and a rookie HC, but the Johnsons will cast a wide net, and the energy he brings would be refreshing after having Bowles) 

Brant Boyer(courtesy interview....he can tell the Johnsons what went wrong from his viewpoint on the inside) 

47 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Good points.  My comment about it being so long since McCarthy has had to develop a QB is only suggesting that we haven't seen recent evidence of him doing it.  I'm not saying he can't and I agree that he hasn't HAD TO since he's had Rodgers, but it would be nice to see some recent examples.  Flynn doesn't necessarily move the dial for me.

Again, I'm not against hiring McCarthy, I just have some serious concerns.  This is the most important Jets hire since Parcells came in to resurrect a  1-win franchise.  We have a 4-year window with a low $ rookie QB.  You only get a brief period of time when a very good QB is such a small percentage of your Cap space.  The Jets can't F this one up.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good points.  My comment about it being so long since McCarthy has had to develop a QB is only suggesting that we haven't seen recent evidence of him doing it.  I'm not saying he can't and I agree that he hasn't HAD TO since he's had Rodgers, but it would be nice to see some recent examples.  Flynn doesn't necessarily move the dial for me.

Again, I'm not against hiring McCarthy, I just have some serious concerns.  This is the most important Jets hire since Parcells came in to resurrect a  1-win franchise.  We have a 4-year window with a low $ rookie QB.  You only get a brief period of time when a very good QB is such a small percentage of your Cap space.  The Jets can't F this one up.

There are stories about how when McCarthy took over in Green Bay he got Rodgers to commit to working out and doing the things he needed to in order to become great.  IDK how much he helped him get where he is but no one was saying anything bad about him when Rodgers had a stable of receivers and putting up ridiculous numbers  4-5 yrs ago.  It was when his receivers started getting old that the offense became ordinary, and that team was always offense driven with Shane Mathews providing enough pass rush to keep the other team off the board occasionally.

I'm not selling McCarthy as the only choice but he checks most of the boxes and would be one of the leading candidates IMO prior to hearing what he has to say and what he'd want when he is interviewed.  He is offensive minded,  has experience and success in the NFL, and could put together a nice staff of coordinators.    Who would you prefer?

12 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

There are stories about how when McCarthy took over in Green Bay he got Rodgers to commit to working out and doing the things he needed to in order to become great.  IDK how much he helped him get where he is but no one was saying anything bad about him when Rodgers had a stable of receivers and putting up ridiculous numbers  4-5 yrs ago.  It was when his receivers started getting old that the offense became ordinary, and that team was always offense driven with Shane Mathews providing enough pass rush to keep the other team off the board occasionally.

I'm not selling McCarthy as the only choice but he checks most of the boxes and would be one of the leading candidates IMO prior to hearing what he has to say and what he'd want when he is interviewed.  He is offensive minded,  has experience and success in the NFL, and could put together a nice staff of coordinators.    Who would you prefer?

I honestly don't know yet.  I'm just seeing a Packers team that's performing no worse (and possibly better) since McCarthy left.  A team that has the same personnel he had.  Maybe the situation just got stale.  It happens.  Andy Reid is the perfect example....4 NFC Championship Games, 1 Super Bowl appearance and then the Eagles parted ways with him....not because he's a bad coach (obviously!) but because it had just been too long.  Perhaps that's what happened with Mike McCarthy....the "marriage got boring" and he and Aaron Rodgers just needed fresh starts.

I really don't know who I want most.  I'm not against "re-treads" but I think I'd prefer a John Harbaugh (if available) or Mike Shanahan over McCarthy.  In addition to getting an offensive-minded HC who can develop a QB, the most important thing is the kind of staff he can assemble.  I think we have a talented but underperforming Defense.  Really curious to see who is brought in at DC to coach this group next because I think it could be unlocked by the right guy.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly don't know yet.  I'm just seeing a Packers team that's performing no worse (and possibly better) since McCarthy left.  A team that has the same personnel he had.  Maybe the situation just got stale.  It happens.  Andy Reid is the perfect example....4 NFC Championship Games, 1 Super Bowl appearance and then the Eagles parted ways with him....not because he's a bad coach (obviously!) but because it had just been too long.  Perhaps that's what happened with Mike McCarthy....the "marriage got boring" and he and Aaron Rodgers just needed fresh starts.

I really don't know who I want most.  I'm not against "re-treads" but I think I'd prefer a John Harbaugh (if available) or Mike Shanahan over McCarthy.  In addition to getting an offensive-minded HC who can develop a QB, the most important thing is the kind of staff he can assemble.  I think we have a talented but underperforming Defense.  Really curious to see who is brought in at DC to coach this group next because I think it could be unlocked by the right guy.

What if it was Rex!!! He has tons of experience as a HC now! lol

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

John Harbaugh is a defensive guy and special teams.  His offenses have never frightened anybody

Jim is interesting but he is not an offensive innovator either.  More old school running and defense.

Shanahan has been out of football a while and wasnt killing it before he left.  

I agree about the defense-I think a good DC could make this unit much better.  Way too many blown assignments and penalty sustained drives under Bowles.  That Jacksonville game where Bortles had his career game throwing uncovered crossing routes all day still stings

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What if it was Rex!!! He has tons of experience as a HC now! lol

I still like Rex....just not as a HC.  Would not complain if the Jets paid top dollar for him to be a DC here.  It would be awkward for him and likely would never happen, but a guy can dream.

Archived