Enunwa Extended

southtown24th

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If all of our moves were Bowles-initiated, that speaks even WORSE about Macc.  You realize that, right?
The HC has no time to be making decisions on who to draft and sign.  He can't scout the league or the college ranks while preparing for a season or game.  If Macc was deferring to Bowles this whole time, that means Macc is a spineless coward who also can't evaluate talent.

No, it means Macc is on equal footing with the coach and doesn’t have leverage. The coach should be reporting to the GM, not on equal footing. That’s a Johnson issue. Put it this way, if Mcvay was our coach during the same tenure do you really think Williams, Lee, and Adams would be on this team? The GM’s role SHOULD be to draft the best team in the vision of the coach’s philosophy, but also understanding that sometimes the best thing for the team goes against the coach’s immediate needs. When the HC and GM are on equal footing the GM can’t just override the coach, which frankly is stupid. When Bowles is tired Macc should be hiring the new coach and that coach should report to Macc. Otherwise they both need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he got this deal on the open market, I would have said "Good for him", and "Thanks for the eventual compensatory pick cancellation". 

Jets are gonna be big players in free agency this year and, as a result, unlikely to be awarded any comp picks. And really, Enunwa at $9M/year is probably a lot more valuable than a fifth round comp pick in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

$9M a year was bad enough for a receiver that's played 11 games in 2 years with 500 yards total. 

The $20M injury guarantee is terrible. 

Q and his agent are laughing all the way to the bank.

I'll sweat the injury guarantee when I see the details. When contracts are first announced, they always sound bloated. 

I would of paid Robby before enunwa. But like I said in the past for the right price Enunwa could be a hell of slot reciever.  Taking advantage of RAC ability. 

If this team can just add a real #1 type to go along with Enunwa and Robby I’ll be happy .. 

Just now, Snell41 said:

No, it means Macc is on equal footing with the coach and doesn’t have leverage. The coach should be reporting to the GM, not on equal footing. That’s a Johnson issue. Put it this way, if Mcvay was our coach during the same tenure do you really think Williams, Lee, and Adams would be on this team? The GM’s role SHOULD be to draft the best team in the vision of the coach’s philosophy, but also understanding that sometimes the best thing for the team goes against the coach’s immediate needs. When the HC and GM are on equal footing the GM can’t just override the coach, which frankly is stupid. When Bowles is tired Macc should be hiring the new coach and that coach should report to Macc. Otherwise they both need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Don't you think this idiotic power structure will turn away quality HC candidates?

A GM who is on equal footing with the HC is a terrible system.  I fully agree.  Which is why we absolutely SHOULD be firing both and starting from scratch.  But we won't. 

If Macc is allowed to hire the HC, say goodbye to any veteran options, and hello to another 1st-timer. 

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wut? Enunwa's risk of serious further injury was gone.

This is a player that should have been extended 2 years ago, with the guaranteed portion of it already over by now. Two years ago, back when people were praising Maccagnan for not extending him because of an eventual preseason injury. 

Instead he extends him anyway and we pay full UFA price by waiting until the team had no leverage. Again.

$9MM/year with $20MM guaranteed for Enunwa. Happy for him to cash in, but lol.

I am not sure he should have been extended two years ago when he missed the whole season.  There was talk he might not play again.   However, it SEEMS a little steep.  Lets see how it breaks down, but man, $20 million guaranteed seems a bit much.  Might also depend on what the cap implications are.

Any full details yet on how the contract breaks down?

Last  year Michael Crabtree signed a 3/21 contract with the Ravens. Crabtree is trash. If he is worth 7 mill a year, Enunwa is worth 9. 

Jimmy Graham, a TE, signed a 3  year 30 contract with the Packers and Graham is well past his prime. 

Donte Moncrief got 1/9.6 million deal. Granted only a 1 year deal, but Enunwa is better than Moncrief. 

Albert Wilson got 3/24. 

Paul Richardson got 5/40. 

And of course, the great Sammy Watkins who also never stays healthy and when he does isn't that great, got a 3/48 this past offseason and wasn't doing much in an all time prolific offense before he got hurt...again. 

With the cap numbers rising, the going rate for Enunwa was right in and around what he got. There is no reason to think this signing was awful for either side. It's a good signing of a good player that plays hard and was Darnold's #1 target before he got hurt. If Enunwa can stay healthy this will be a steal, if he continues to miss multiple games every year, then it will be a bad deal.

Did any of you guys expect Enunwa to take less than Albert Wilson/Crabtree/Richardson? 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This team can't afford to carry an injury plagued WR right now. We don't have an AB, or an Evans, or Julio... we have 4 spots for developing WRs... 1 with robbie, 1 with a slot guy, and now 1 is used up on Enunwa who finished another season on the trainers table.

I hate this regime so much. 

Just hope that it’s black monday 2019 at this point. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Jets are gonna be big players in free agency this year and, as a result, unlikely to be awarded any comp picks. And really, Enunwa at $9M/year is probably a lot more valuable than a fifth round comp pick in 2020.  

That's why I said "cancellation".  But yeah, we of course aren't likely to be players in the comp pick market. 

$9 million per year isn't terrible.  But the injury guarantee, which as you said we're waiting on details, sounds really, really bad. 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I would of paid Robby before enunwa. But like I said in the past for the right price Enunwa is a hell of slot reciever.  Taking advantage of RAC ability . 

If if this team can just add a real #1 type to go along with Enunwa and Robby I’ll be happy .. 

Agreed. Although I still think that with Darnold's abilities we would be fine with Anderson/Enunwa and an emerging Herndon IF we added a stud RB via FA or the draft. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

hows the crack this morning. Was he part of the solution for 16 games last year? What about half of this year? 

No crack during bulking season.

Enunwa is a great locker room guy, a safety net for Sam Darnold, and this is a cheap contract in comparison to what somebody like Golden Tate will get.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This team can't afford to carry an injury plagued WR right now. We don't have an AB, or an Evans, or Julio... we have 4 spots for developing WRs... 1 with robbie, 1 with a slot guy, and now 1 is used up on Enunwa who finished another season on the trainers table.

I hate this regime so much. 

Hope we draft guys with upside that can play special teams so we can dump Peake?

Everyone is getting hung up on the "injury" guarantee.  Let's see how the guaranteed money is spread out.  Likely at least $10-$12 of is a signing bonus that was getting paid regardless.  The only way you get out of paying that signing bonus is to sign him to a 1 year deal.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's fine to think that way.  Most of us knew it was unlikely he'd get fired.

But to CELEBRATE this fact makes the Macc supporters masochists.  There's nothing that should excite anyone about the prospect of another Macc draft and free agent spending spree.  Nothing. 

At minimum seeing you and a few others meltdown is absolutely worth it.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's fine to think that way.  Most of us knew it was unlikely he'd get fired.

But to CELEBRATE this fact makes the Macc supporters masochists.  There's nothing that should excite anyone about the prospect of another Macc draft and free agent spending spree.  Nothing. 

I'm not excited about it. I've said that I wouldn't care if he got fired. I watch other teams and see numerous busts and FA mistakes by GMs. If you think we could fire Macc and replace him with a surefire stud at GM you are kidding yourself. There is a chance the replacement would be the kind of guy that would have taken Saquon Barkley over Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Enunwa is a great locker room guy, a safety net for Sam Darnold, and this is a cheap contract in comparison to what somebody like Golden Tate will get.

I'd rather have overpaid Tate than overpaid Q.  At least the former stays healthy. 

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

so fcking what. 1 year prove it deal is at best, all he deserves. We now have 1 less spot to groom an ACTUAL solution at WR. 

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

No...but it makes it the market deal.  Meaning you're not getting anything better for less.

Yeah.  It means people should be saying "I can't believe we spent this money on Enunwa, when we could have spent a little bit more and gotten Paul Richardson!"

I feel like this year he's just had this 1 lingering ankle issue, which he kept trying to play on, and then reinjuring.  So hopefully it's not predictive of anything that will happen in future years.

Because I think we're relatively fine with the deal if he stays healthy - and the concession is that *we* / the Jets take the injury risk, as opposed to him.

47 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It’s more important To extend Anderson. But a maximum average of 9 million isn’t bad especially if the guarantee is around $20 million. 

This makes me think Macc is coming back.

Anderson has been great lately and clearly building chemistry with Darnold. We can tender him for 3M next year though so no rush on that. Lets see what he can do with a full year of year 2 Sam

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm not excited about it. I've said that I wouldn't care if he got fired. I watch other teams and see numerous busts and FA mistakes by GMs. If you think we could fire Macc and replace him with a surefire stud at GM you are kidding yourself. There is a chance the replacement would be the kind of guy that would have taken Saquon Barkley over Darnold.  

This is so false.  It's actually much easier to find a GM significantly better than Macc than it is to find one that has a worse track record.

I stated in the McCarthy thread I'd be on board with hiring him if it means he takes the reigns on personnel decisions.  That would have to be a better solution by default than giving Maccagnan even more power than he has had previously. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But the injury guarantee, which as you said we're waiting on details, sounds really, really bad. 

The $20M injury guarantee is probably a signing bonus plus the first year salary combined. Or something like that. Money that he would've almost certainly collected anyway. That's how Mac structures a lot of contracts. 

Unless there's guaranteed money in the third and fourth years, I'm really not worried about it. 

Archived