Jets to interview McCarthy first, prior to Browns

SheaRay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Yea... it is. They went 7-8-1 with baker not starting first two games and with hue Jackson as coach. Browns fans expect playoffs and baker to continue to improve.

That doesn’t mean it’s playoffs or bust. It means that they are good enough to make the playoffs next year and it would be a little disappointing if they can’t. If Baker was 38 years old with an expensive roster then sure. It’s not playoffs or bust.

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Dorsey set it up so he can close the deal if that's what he wants to do 

go get your best deal and we will beat it - old car sales trick, McCarthy said he wanted to talk to both teams first, hence the reschedule

Yup, last one gets the business...not good.

Well, at least there’s Gase or Caldwell to choose from.

4 hours ago, SheaRay said:

Ok so the Brown's have denied permission for teams to interview Kitchens. Seems they're staying in house. Right move.

It looks like we have our new head coach.

Denying permission for what?  It has to be interviews for OC positions, right?  They literally aren't allowed to stop teams from interviewing him for HC jobs (not that I think Kitchen merits consideration for HC this quickly).

It will be interesting to see how this turns out if the Browns are really denying interview requests for Kitchens, because this could be another moment where they totally Brown it up if they play this wrong.  If they end up keeping Williams and Kitchens in their current roles, it's definitely a complete non issue.  However, if they get themselves a new HC, things could turn very ugly with the Kitchens situation very quickly.  Are they going to try to force Kitchens onto their new HC hire?  That would not go over well with a lot of top candidates, and could definitely cause them to lose out on who they want.  On the other hand, if they defer to the new HC to make the call, and he decides to either send Kitchens packing or leave him at his old position coach job (a very real possibility if the new HC has "his guy" for the position), the Browns will have totally screwed Kitchens over by denying these requests, and it's going to be a major turn-off for any assistants that have other options.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Denying permission for what?  It has to be interviews for OC positions, right?  They literally aren't allowed to stop teams from interviewing him for HC jobs (not that I think Kitchen merits consideration for HC this quickly).

It will be interesting to see how this turns out if the Browns are really denying interview requests for Kitchens, because this could be another moment where they totally Brown it up if they play this wrong.  If they end up keeping Williams and Kitchens in their current roles, it's definitely a complete non issue.  However, if they get themselves a new HC, things could turn very ugly with the Kitchens situation very quickly.  Are they going to try to force Kitchens onto their new HC hire?  That would not go over well with a lot of top candidates, and could definitely cause them to lose out on who they want.  On the other hand, if they defer to the new HC to make the call, and he decides to either send Kitchens packing or leave him at his old position coach job (a very real possibility if the new HC has "his guy" for the position), the Browns will have totally screwed Kitchens over by denying these requests, and it's going to be a major turn-off for any assistants that have other options.

mcdaniels is already angling for that job.  he wants as close to a no-lose situation as possible and the browns are ready to make the playoffs next season.  

10 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I believe I just heard on WFAN McCarthy interview is next week with Jets..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I imagine all teams interviewing HCs are prioritizing any playoff coaches of interest first for this week, given all the rules for the scheduling of that.  McCarthy isn't going anywhere.

5 hours ago, DJF71 said:

And Arizona doesn't have the same money or a very good roster.  I really think Darnold is such a great opportunity for a HC. First time in Jets history that they are a desirable destination.

Jets have:

Very likely FQB in place

Tons of cap space

Great draft pick

Some nice young players in place 

In a division where they have a good chance to take over with brady almost done and the Bill's and dolphins not looking ready to take control

5 hours ago, SheaRay said:

Not sure but heard some chatter it might be today. 

The more I think about it how odd Cleveland pushed back the interview. 

I always thought they should keep Williams. Looks like they just might.

Great opportunity for the Jets. I just hope they don't let him out of the building.

Jets still have to interview one more minority candidate to satisfy Rooney Rule. I wish they would get rid of that rule. No need wasting the time of a candidate who is there for a token interview and has no realistic chance. The Jets have hired black HC's so there is no racism involved. I believe - despite what Brian Costello says - that McCarthy is the only realistic choice for the Jets, simply because of the body of work he has produced.

26 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

unfortunately that cash isnt as much as you think...people talk about it a lot but we have a LOT of holes and that cash is gonna go.....FAST

...and every roster is gonna have players he wont like....lol except we will have more of them.

Since he has more players he has mote tradeble assets

He has as least 3-5 straight BALLERS, we have 1 possibly 2 and the Browns have 85 mil in cap space to burn too.

Agreed, but we still have the money to fill out a roster. The way it stands now the roster can be filled out with player that can fit into the coaches plans instead of being shackled to certain guys. It's a little bit better I'd say. 

We sure don't have anyone like Jarvis Landry though do we?   :( 

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jets still have to interview one more minority candidate to satisfy Rooney Rule. I wish they would get rid of that rule. No need wasting the time of a candidate who is there for a token interview and has no realistic chance. The Jets have hired black HC's so there is no racism involved. I believe - despite what Brian Costello says - that McCarthy is the only realistic choice for the Jets, simply because of the body of work he has produced.

I thought it was just one? I happen to think if a team previously hired a minority they should be exempt. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I assume it's a denial for interviews HC or otherwise.

This is about a HC search, not passing up on a franchise QB in the draft. To me it makes zero sense for the Brown's to change anything up when Williams went 5-3. Ride that momentum/chemistry into next year. If it falls apart then get a new HC. It's not like Baker regressed. He excelled.

I think at the end of the day they retain Williams and Kitchens.

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed, but we still have the money to fill out a roster. The way it stands now the roster can be filled out with player that can fit into the coaches plans instead of being shackled to certain guys. It's a little bit better I'd say. 

We sure don't have anyone like Jarvis Landry though do we?   :( 

Why did Gase not want Landry any more in Miami?  Was it just the money?  I never understood why they let him go.

Just now, Dcat said:

Why did Gase not want Landry any more in Miami?  Was it just the money?  I never understood why they let him go.

I'm not sure. Maybe it was just a value thing but probably some personal bologna like Bowles would do. I don't know off the top of my head really.  That guy is a baller man.  If Sam had a wideout like him in addition to the Anderson, Enunwa, Herndon combo he would have had a much easier season IMO. Mayfield has quite the outlet there. 

1 minute ago, SheaRay said:

I assume it's a denial for interviews HC or otherwise.

This is about a HC search, not passing up on a franchise QB in the draft. To me it makes zero sense for the Brown's to change anything up when Williams went 5-3. Ride that momentum/chemistry into next year. If it falls apart then get a new HC. It's not like Baker regressed. He excelled.

I think at the end of the day they retain Williams and Kitchens.

I'd have to look it up, but I could swear that teams have no rights to deny interview requests for a head coaching position to anyone but their own head coach once their season is over.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to stick with their current staff given the late season turn around, but my only point is if they decide to make a change then the Kitchens situation could end up being a serious black mark against them for some.

4 hours ago, slats said:

I'd visit the Jets first, too. That's the easiest way to shop their offer to other teams. 

This is silly and cynical.    He is getting paid a lot of money to currently not coach.  His next contract as the most highly qualified coach will eclipse that.  If he wants to work in Cleveland he will get paid.  If he isn’t happy with the offer he can walk out the door and either take a year off or visit other interested teams.

16 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That’s not true. They already interviewed a minority candidate.  They can hire whom ever they would like now. 

We sure don't have anyone like Jarvis Landry though do we?    
Agree...and I would say I'd rather not have Landry. He has lit us up in the past but I'm not so sure I want him on my team. He is a little overpaid for his role IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

They didn’t think he warranted the money he got as a slot receiver.  He catches a lot of balls but isn’t a TD machine.   That kind of stuff.  

Not defending their position -he is the kind of player and leader I’d want on my team though the Browns might be overpaying him a little

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Agree...and I would say I'd rather not have Landry. He has lit us up in the past but I'm not so sure I want him on my team. He is a little overpaid for his role IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U using JetNation.com mobile app

Maybe not, but I'd prefer him over the $21 mil AB is getting.  Whatever personal issues Landry may bring, if any, pale in comparison to Brown too.  I'd love to get a stud Rookie in here and do it organically if we could. That would be the best way. I still subscribe to the old idea that raising your own in house talent is better than buying a guy from somewhere else. Not just for $ sake. It just feels better if they are "our own". ya know? 

20 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

This is silly and cynical.    He is getting paid a lot of money to currently not coach.  His next contract as the most highly qualified coach will eclipse that.  If he wants to work in Cleveland he will get paid.  If he isn’t happy with the offer he can walk out the door and either take a year off or visit other interested teams.

Right. While I understand everyone "sales tactics" thoughts,  McCarthy is going to get what he wants from both teams financially. I don't think meeting one or the other first is really a big deal. He is just going to see both places and see which org he prefers. If it were a money thing this would be an issue, but I don't think so. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mercedes Lewis on Aaron Rodgers/McCarthy dysfunction.

956DDBFF-3936-47BE-A958-8F9FDF1E88F2.jpeg

I remember when Bledsoe completely ignored Pete Carroll's play call and instead did his own thing (I think it resulted in a TD or 1st down in a crucial moment).  Pete Carroll was booted out the minute the season ended.   

McCarthy was booted during the season.  (Obviously, Rodgers carries much more weight than Bledsoe did ).  Once the HC-QB breakdown begins with a pair of experienced guys like that or like Rodgers-McCarthy, it's usually curtains for them having success together ever again.  

19 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Maybe not, but I'd prefer him over the $21 mil AB is getting.  Whatever personal issues Landry may bring, if any, pale in comparison to Brown too.  I'd love to get a stud Rookie in here and do it organically if we could. That would be the best way. I still subscribe to the old idea that raising your own in house talent is better than buying a guy from somewhere else. Not just for $ sake. It just feels better if they are "our own". ya know? 

I agree 100% that I'd rather have my own in house, home grown wr.......

but AB and Landry are not in the same stratosphere as far as players go and the debate to acquire AB at his salary and personality is a valid one, a debate on Landry would die a quick death. I do NOT want AB but he is without a doubt a game changing, top tier BALLER at whatever salary he makes. 

Landry is not on his level.

Still dont want either one of them

6 hours ago, SheaRay said:

Rumor is Arizona offered him complete control over player personnel to gauge his interest and he took a hard pass. Long term contract probably more important to him. But I like your thinking. 

Maybe he just doesn’t want to coach Rosen? Given he’s a prick. Didn’t Rodgers just get him fired?

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Maybe he just doesn’t want to coach Rosen? Given he’s a prick. Didn’t Rodgers just get him fired?

rosen sucks.  he's too limited physically, and that includes a relatively weak arm.  besides brady, whose line holds without any calls, every other good qb needs to be able to move the pocket and throw on the move and that's not rosen's game.

if the draft had a clear qb to be drafted #1 the arizona job would be more attractive b/c the new head coach would want that guy.  but rosen is going to be a career backup, so why hook your future to that guy?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

rosen sucks.  he's too limited physically, and that includes a relatively weak arm.  besides brady, whose line holds without any calls, every other good qb needs to be able to move the pocket and throw on the move and that's not rosen's game.

if the draft had a clear qb to be drafted #1 the arizona job would be more attractive b/c the new head coach would want that guy.  but rosen is going to be a career backup, so why hook your future to that guy?

Another reason may be that agents are avoiding Arizona because they canned Wills after one year.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Another reason may be that agents are avoiding Arizona because they canned Wills after one year.

thats what I think as well.. which despite how bad its been the past few years, keeping bowles actually shows some restraint.. might help in recruiting the HC etc..

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

agree, but Dorsey and McCarthy have history, they have probably discussed some of the details since on the surface the Jets and Browns are the best two opportunities for McCarthy

both teams have a young FQB, both teams have a ton a cap space and top draft picks

the details will make the difference and the Jets are more of an unknown - reporting structure, roster input, maybe salary, so he can't make a decision without talking to the Jets first (the order of interviews can make a difference)

4 hours ago, The Troll said:

It means all this thread is is speculation.

You don’t know that he’s interviewing with the Jets before Cleveland because you don’t know when he’s actually interviewing with either team.

Speculation? On a forum? Really?

It's all speculation until it becomes reality.  

I Read EARLIER THAT McDaniel is going to interview for the Browns job.

THAT SHOULD BE INTERESTING.  

MCCARTHY IS THE BEST OUT THERE TO GET

MONKEN MIGHT BE THE NEXT GUY

WE NEED STABILITY ALL AROUND

I HOPE THEY KEEP BRYANT AS SPECIAL TEAMS GUY ATLEAST THAT IMPROVED YEAR OVER YEAR WHEN THEY HIRED HIM.

MAYBE HE SHOULD BE OUR GUY THE PLAYERS SEEM TO RESPOND WELL TO HIM TO GIVE THAT KIND OF EFFORT

Archived