Today's the day.. Mike McCarthy

SheaRay

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I HEAR YA!!!!!!

All I can say is you are clearly younger than me, hence your willingness for high risk!!!!! :) 

Let you be a Jets fan for twenty more years of the Lou Holtz, Herm Edwards, Al Groh. Mangini, Bowles Kotitie etc. merry go round, sprinkling in the INANE GM who doesn't know more than us, your balding with high blood pressure with the Jets literally tearing the marrow from your SOUL and you'll come around to the safe side my friend., you'll come around..... :) 

Glad I come off young at heart, LOL. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember the Jets drafting John Huarte, QB from Notre Dame, in the same draft they picked Namath! Hence, my "lets get this show on the road, I don't have all day" attitude! This was a nice discussion, my friend, I enjoyed it!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This type of response is irritating.  For one, no matter how much you buy into the talking points about McCarthy, he's not mediocre.  Do you say the same thing about Sean Peyton?  I imagine not.  No one is settling for anything.  

He's not even my first choice but the  intensely anti-McCarthy crowd is becoming a little bit ridiculous.  You aren't the smartest guy in the room because you want an "up and coming offensive mind".  That's not an original thought.  It wasn't your thought to begin with.  Everyone wants the next Sean McVay.  Not many acknowledge he's probably not out there.

The anti-McCarthyites are hypnotized right now by anything new and shiny and are blind to McCarthy’s accomplishments. That’s why I’ve stopped arguing with them. 

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Glad I come off young at heart, LOL. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember the Jets drafting John Huarte, QB from Notre Dame, in the same draft they picked Namath! This was a nice discussion, my friend, I enjoyed it!

Well if that is the case than I will go with you Old Timer!! :) 

No McCarthy, if we can find that good Assistant!!!Clinking Beer Mugs on emojidex 1.0.34

41 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Glad I come off young at heart, LOL. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember the Jets drafting John Huarte, QB from Notre Dame, in the same draft they picked Namath! Hence, my "lets get this show on the road, I don't have all day" attitude! This was a nice discussion, my friend, I enjoyed it!

34 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well if that is the case than I will go with you Old Timer!! :) 

No McCarthy, if we can find that good Assistant!!!Clinking Beer Mugs on emojidex 1.0.34

Get a room you two!

?JK

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This type of response is irritating.  For one, no matter how much you buy into the talking points about McCarthy, he's not mediocre.  Do you say the same thing about Sean Peyton?  I imagine not.  No one is settling for anything.  

He's not even my first choice but the  intensely anti-McCarthy crowd is becoming a little bit ridiculous.  You aren't the smartest guy in the room because you want an "up and coming offensive mind".  That's not an original thought.  It wasn't your thought to begin with.  Everyone wants the next Sean McVay.  Not many acknowledge he's probably not out there.

I believe McCarthy is mediocre.  Very mediocre, especially in today's NFL. I think Sean Peyton has a unique relationship with a future hall of famer, and is ahead of McCarthy because he is more adaptable and flexible. I do not think he is the greatest coach in the NFL. His results seem directly tied to the level of talent, and he has not spent enough effort to becoming balanced on defense, but has improved in that area.

The NFL is built around offensive creativity. Almost everything head coach in the playoffs is offensive minded, and one of the defensive minded ones eliminated himself because he couldnt bring himself to open up the game and let his QB play.

From an offensive standpoint what you need is adaptability, creativity and the ability to tailor the offense to the players. McCarthy is none of these.

You also need to be a good game manager and aggressive when needed because it is so much easier to score. McCarthy is notably known to be ultra conservative, and pretty awful at in game management.

Just those two things make him mediocre. Even is McCarthy is a good coach (no one even his biggest supporters think he is great) then the ceiling with McCarthy is lower and once again you are accepting mediocity. We need to strive to be the best. And pick the best guy for Darnold. It isnt McCarthy

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The anti-McCarthyites are hypnotized right now by anything new and shiny and are blind to McCarthy’s accomplishments. That’s why I’ve stopped arguing with them. 

No, the McCartyites are ONLY evaluating McCarthy on his previous success. And valid criticism is completely ignored with a reference to his record or Super Bowl ring or the "McCarthy QB school" Someone really needs to tell me what specifically he is good at? Stop blindly referencing past history.

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ah John Huarte remember him too. Heisman winner and no chance with Namath in the building, lol

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

McVay was one and done in playoffs last year. If he doesn’t at least go to NFC championship game this year, does he lose some lustre?

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

And meanwhile a certain team in our division with the GOAT HC (defensive) and GOAT QB with their dink and dunk offense keep chugging along. Isn't it ironic? 

6 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

McCarthy is a Toyota Avalon, steady, safe, reliable, with a bit of a boring style but still looks good from different angles. These young guys are Alfa Romeo Guilas, stylish, fresh, innovative but can they get to 100,000 miles without breaking down? Or are they just another flash in the pan that goes out of style quickly, and looks dated within 3 years?

Personally, I think Sam Darnold is a guy best suited to the Avalon, steady, gets better when broken in, has just enough high end features to go the distance. I'd be very happy with 10 years of beautifully balanced football with an offense that makes 3rd & short look easy, 3rd & long by the opposition very difficult, with options (special teams) that continually put us in great field position. We need a 10 year coach.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No, the McCartyites are ONLY evaluating McCarthy on his previous success. And valid criticism is completely ignored with a reference to his record or Super Bowl ring or the "McCarthy QB school" Someone really needs to tell me what specifically he is good at? Stop blindly referencing past history.

Winning.   

He is good at winning.   And he doesn’t have to learn how to do the job for the first time.

You keep harping on things you feel he is lacking in.   There are quite a few people here who don’t agree with you.   We all watch football and have seen the Packers a lot ( because 1- they had a fun team to watch and 2-they are in the playoffs every year!).  He may not be the best coach in the NFL but he was ranked 6 th this preseason.   That’s top 20 percent .  He is our best candidate since Parcells without a doubt and if we get him he is top 3 all time Jet coach before he takes the field.   

What were your choices ranked?

Remember, the enemy of “good” is “better”!

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Your right McCarthy has only show he’s good at winning and developing qbs 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Winning.   

He is good at winning.   And he doesn’t have to learn how to do the job for the first time.

You keep harping on things you feel he is lacking in.   There are quite a few people here who don’t agree with you.   We all watch football and have seen the Packers a lot ( because 1- they had a fun team to watch and 2-they are in the playoffs every year!).  He may not be the best coach in the NFL but he was ranked 6 th this preseason.   That’s top 20 percent .  He is our best candidate since Parcells without a doubt and if we get him he is top 3 all time Jet coach before he takes the field.   

What were your choices ranked?

Remember, the enemy of “good” is “better”!

But but he’s only won “1” Super Bowl with Rodgers

Meanwhile Drew Brees also has only 1 Super Bowl, Rivers has 0 and Big Ben would have only 1 if the referees didn’t blatantly give him help in 2006

10 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

This Post:  NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

Maybe they have him tied up in the basement until he signs the contract.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Um, what are you using to evaluate the college guys then, if not their past success? :blink: :-k

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nice to know there are “mature” Jets fans like myself out there! Lol

The bottom line is: Who is a better NFL HC than McCarthy right now? Each candidate we interviewed or will interview is not a better HC than McCarthy right now. Can they turn out to be better than McCarthy? Who knows. I do know that 1st time HC’s for the Jets has not been a proven success. Rex had success, but he flames out and turned out to be the biggest buffoon in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Could have been a lucky break for the Colts.

I couldn’t agree more. Don’t see the big deal about McDaniels. He sucked in Denver and has Brady in NE. And he’s a weasel for doing that on top of it all. If they play the colts in 2 weeks, then I hope Reich kicks their ass and goes to the SB. Also, I think we interviewed Reich when we hired Bowles. The jets brass truly has an eye for talent. What a joke.

To those of you who want the hot college guy like Rhule or Kliff.

An NFL HC job in no way resembles anything in college. In college you have young guys that want to play football and are eager to make an impression. In the NFL, the goal is to get paid. We even have players (Talib) who write "Get Paid" in there eye black. In college, the HC is everything. Nobody can think they are better but in NFL we have Divas like OBJ and Rogers. In college, you rarely hear a peep out of players,  in the NFL we have media egging on players for viral quotes that make the team look stupid (OBJ or Geno Smith). 

I don't  want a guy learning how to deal with all the responsibilities  of an NFL HC on the job, I want a guy that knows how to compartmentalize all this and focused on developing our QB.  That is what I think McCarthy brings. We know we will be putting Darnold in good hands. 

Another thing is if our hot new College guy comes in and suddenly he sees what he did in college is not working in the NFL, he will be focused on trying to find what does work taking away from developing our QB. MM knows what works. He won't have to deal with this.  

Let's  stop dicking around and get our HC who comes from one of the best run organizations in the league

11 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

This Post:  NFL Network reporting former #packers HC Mike McCarthy has yet to leave the NY Jets building after interviewing for their vacant HC position. Apparently a source inside says McCarthy is warming to the idea of being the Jets HC

Is this the part where they staple an antler to a dog’s head, and let him go ‘hunting’ so he can feel like a good ol’ boy?

There are arguments in both directions:

1. Inexperienced HC Hire: The Jets May get the next great coach. A guy who comes in and turns this franchise around and wins. The problem is there is no way to predict this. Also, looking at our recent hires, the Jets brass are terrible at decision making.

2. McCarthy: He is a PROVEN winner with 13 years of experience who steps immediately (without having to learn on the fly) and can take steps towards winning and dare I say super bowl. He can also bomb, but with the body of work, I would trust him times 100 over these other guys.

The Jets need an established coach to come in here and turn this team around starting with the QB. The college game is much different than the NFL. They have 100 kids on the roster and sometimes the competition against other schools is non existent. Also, the schools have more leverage and the athletes have to behave themselves. There’s a big difference between leading a group of 100 college kids than a room of 53 NFL MEN.

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

There are arguments in both directions:

1. Inexperienced HC Hire: The Jets May get the next great coach. A guy who comes in and turns this franchise around and wins. The problem is there is no way to predict this. Also, looking at our recent hires, the Jets brass are terrible at decision making.

2. McCarthy: He is a PROVEN winner with 13 years of experience who steps immediately (without having to learn on the fly) and can take steps towards winning and dare I say super bowl. He can also bomb, but with the body of work, I would trust him times 100 over these other guys.

The Jets need an established coach to come in here and turn this team around starting with the QB. The college game is much different than the NFL. They have 100 kids on the roster and sometimes the competition against other schools is non existent. Also, the schools have more leverage and the athletes have to behave themselves. There’s a big difference between leading a group of 100 college kids than a room of 53 NFL MEN.

Exactly. The Jets have been a ? show. Bring in a guy that will fix this, not add to it.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

And youre asking people to ignore all the valid criticism about the assistants you want to believe in.  Because.  Without proof.  You want to ignore some of those who were college HC their previous failures.  All those assts with HC exp were fired, had questions asked about them.

Difference is you want to ignore those failures, dont want them a part of the evaluation,  but want McCarthys criticism to not only be more hightly scrutinized but you want to blow off his 9 division titles, playoff wins or his SB win.

Because having all that success isnt as good, actually having won in the NFL is meaningless?  I know it doesnt translate into a guarantee but it sure increases the odds that he works out over becoming the next Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm, Coslett, etc.  

Guys I changed my mind. After looking at Mcarthy a little bit more in depth I've come to the conclusion he may not be the man for the job. He is only 1 out of 31 coaches on this planet to ever win a superbowl. He only has a .618 winning percentage in 13 years. Has only taken the Packers to the playoffs 9 times in 13 years. He only coached Brett Favre and developed Arron Rodgers. He IsNt An UpInCoMiNg OfFenSive MiNd aNd HiS OfFenSEs ArE StalE. So KlIFf KinGsBuRy Is ProbBaBly tHe BeST OpTioN since He HaD a LoSiNg rEcoRd aT TeXAs TeCH AnD HaS NEvEr CoAcHed A DAy iN tHe NfL.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

You made a McCarthy thread, I said I thought you were going to tell us McCarthy is a done deal, you were confused, hour later, you made a thread saying McCarthy is a done deal.

Does this clear up the confusion?

Not really. Who is that guy? The thread was about the Jets meeting with McCarthy that day.

Oh wait. Now I remember. You got bent out of shape the other day that I had the audacity to say that the Jets would meet with him first before the Browns because they pushed their interview back. Silly me.

Just now, SheaRay said:

Not really. Who is that guy? The thread was about the Jets meeting with McCarthy that day.

Oh wait. Now I remember. You got bent out of shape the other day that I had the audacity to say that the Jets would meet with him first before the Browns because they pushed their interview back. Silly me.

Bent out of shape is hardly the word I would use. Annoying that new posters can’t follow basic rules? Sure.

But hardly bent out of shape.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Exactly. The Jets have been a ? show. Bring in a guy that will fix this, not add to it.

The other piece that goes along with this, which hasn't been brought up nearly enough - is not only will he fix the organizational disaster that is the NYJ -  but he brings a level of respect that will help with attracting FA's and a quality coaching staff...

Archived