Jets owe Spencer Long 3M$ guaranteed if he i lsn’t cut by tomorrow(UPDATE: Long has been released)

Patriot Killa

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Then I hear from Polian on Sirius that none of the disaster that was Bowles tenure was his fault and also he is “very adaptable”.

Too many league guys stick up for each other and wind up sounding stupid. We all know Polian was a great GM but yet here he is talking out of the side of his neck as if he has a point. It’s cringe worthy.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw this..

Rich Cimini  ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets are facing their first roster decision of the offseason — G/C Spencer Long. If he's on the roster at 4 p.m. tomorrow, his $3 million roster bonus becomes guaranteed. Translation: It secures a roster spot. So far, the Jets haven't tipped their hand, which could mean they've decided to keep him. Long was underwhelming at center (in part because of an injured hand), but his play at left guard was encouraging to the organization. Factors to consider: They have only one interior lineman under contract (Brian Winters) and the free-agent class isn't that appealing. If they keep Long, it'll cost them $6.5 million on the cap. If they cut him, there's no cap charge. It would be a clean break.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Too many league guys stick up for each other and wind up sounding stupid. We all know Polian was a great GM but yet here he is talking out of the side of his neck as if he has a point. It’s cringe worthy.

I was shocked listening to him virtually gushing excuse after excuse for Bowles over about 5 minutes.  Lost a lot of respect for him. 

Another one was “Bowles had to start the Rookie at QB this year when “everyone” knew he wasn’t ready”.  Guess he missed JJ Watt telling the “Rookie” he was going to be a “great Pro”.  Guess he missed him handcuffing the Rookie running into the line twice every series.

Something like that is frequently said to someone who is “not ready”.

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I was shocked listening to him virtually gushing excuse after excuse for Bowles over about 5 minutes.  Lost a lot of respect for him. 

Another one was “Bowles had to start the Rookie at QB this year when “everyone” knew he wasn’t ready”.  Guess he missed JJ Watt telling the “Rookie” he was going to be a “great Pro”.  Guess he missed him handcuffing the Rookie running into the line twice every series.

Something like that is frequently said to someone who is “not ready”.

Josh McCown was the starter in 2017 and he only won a game more than he did with the rookie.

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You have to keep him.  There are like only 4 O-linemen on the roster with any kind of experience.  He’s safe for 2019.  

i agree. as other have said he played well at guard.  i'm not sure where his cost stacks up against the position average but it's probably less. and at least he can back up the center position.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Very well said, and I completely agree.  The crazy thing is that once he moved over to LG, I'd argue he was the Jets best OL for the second half of the season.  If they were set at all of the other positions, then it might be a different story, but he showed himself to be a solid starter on a OL that has plenty of work to be done.  While ideally he'd stick at G, he has the flexibility to play multiple positions, which has some very real value to it.  There's no reason they should even think about cutting Long right now, and if they somehow end up in a situation after FA and the draft is over that he's not even set to be a starter any longer, that's some damn good news and a $3M insurance policy was still nice to have.

agree with this too. long was at center about 3 games loo long.  the minute he showed he couldn't snap the ball reliably he should have been pulled for his back up.  why bowles didn't do it is something only bowles knows.  would they have won more games?  no telling but every instance when the wrong guy is in the line up takes away from the team performance.

This team really needs to spread around the work load this offseason. FA alone is going to be unlike any year for probably any team ever. I don’t recall a team with a scheme change having so few players under contract and have so much money.

I can’t see how they will be able to improve this roster much besides the draft. Too many holes and not enough time to negotiate with players. I hope like hell that I’m wrong but I’ve been fearing this all offseason. 

Archived