How much enthusiasm do you have for next season right now?

TuscanyTile2

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, as a life long Jets fan I've been screwed over far too many times when I started drinking the Kool-Aid.

I will NEVER do that again.

So remain slightly optimistic but mostly skeptical. That seems to work best.

After years of getting beaten down by this franchise I'm with you on this.  I'll root for them but I'll be mostly skeptical.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How about a "I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriocheats" thread for a change. Where is the Joy in Jetville?  We have a 22 year old stud Quarterback, a new coaching staff, a pocket full of spending money, a couple of pieces on the roster, and the #3 overall pick in the draft.  Until it's proven otherwise, the future looks bright. Let's stop the woe is me crap and get on with it.  I for one, can't wait.

with ya on this.  the jets need to worry about the jets.  they need to have a great draft and make some key free agent acquisitions.  hopefully they come out with an above average oline and a couple of play makers for offense. and next season there goal needs to be sweeping the bills and doltfins and at least split with the patsies.  that should nearly guarantee them a playoff appearance.

24 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

should be an interesting season with the gase and williams hire.  hopefully sam starts all 16.  my enthusiasm will increase as the offseason goes on. free agency, draft, training camp. etc. by preseason i know i will be hyped just like every year. then the season occurs and misery

Gase is a wide-eyed guy who doesn't know what he's getting himself into here.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, as a life long Jets fan I've been screwed over far too many times when I started drinking the Kool-Aid.

I will NEVER do that again.

So remain slightly optimistic but mostly skeptical. That seems to work best.

They're like the mob though. Just when you think you're out, they drag you back in. I remember last season on the Sunday when we were 3-3 and were going to play Buffalo followed by Miami. Everyone was pumped up.

Conventional wisdom here was we could easily win both games to go to 5-3 setting up our game with NE following the bye week. Myself, @Thai Jet and @jetspenguin got into a really nice hour long conversation in the game thread that morning about the Jets, football in general, and a bunch of other stuff. We were so upbeat and couldn't wait for the game.

Then come 1pm, the season crashed. Buffalo humiliated us, and the following week Sam threw 4 ints, or as @nico002 likes to call them, great punts. Sam's foot injury thing happened the next day and we were off on our way to a 4 win season.

I know for a fact I'll be pumped again for the start of next season, new HC, DC, roster overhaul, new unis… It sounds great now, but it never seems to end that way, does it?

6 hours ago, Jets86 said:

I think we win the division. Pats went 11-5 during the season. Brady looked his age. Their Defense wasn't great either. Three great postseason games doesn't change that.

I know the pig is ripe and all that...  but 11-5 is pretty good from where I'm sitting. 

And those 3 great post season games? The last one was another Super Bowl.

So yeah, I can see why you think we'll win the division. :rolleyes:

They're like the mob though. Just when you think you're out, they drag you back in. I remember last season on the Sunday when we were 3-3 and were going to play Buffalo followed by Miami. Everyone was pumped up.
Conventional wisdom here was we could easily win both games to go to 5-3 setting up our game with NE following the bye week. Myself, [mention=7006]Thai Jet[/mention] and [mention=29317]jetspenguin[/mention] got into a really nice hour long conversation in the game thread that morning about the Jets, football in general, and a bunch of other stuff. We were so upbeat and couldn't wait for the game.
Then come 1pm, the season crashed. Buffalo humiliated us, and the following week Sam threw 4 ints, or as [mention=8147]nico002[/mention] likes to call them, great punts. Sam's foot injury thing happened the next day and we were off on our way to a 4 win season.
I know for a fact I'll be pumped again for the start of next season, new HC, DC, roster overhaul, new unis… It sounds great now, but it never seems to end that way, does it?
Lol you still remember that? I file away disappointments about the jets as fast as I flush TP.

When the season is over I begin all over again with hope and a positive outlook. I am probably going to have egg on my face by the midway point of the season but in the meantime I'll ride the wave. If you've been a jets fan long enough you come to realize this IS the best part of the season. So drink up fellas...this is as good as it gets until I see otherwise.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Conventional wisdom here was we could easily win both games to go to 5-3 setting up our game with NE following the bye week. Myself, @Thai Jet and @jetspenguin got into a really nice hour long conversation in the game thread that morning about the Jets, football in general, and a bunch of other stuff. We were so upbeat and couldn't wait for the game.

Then come 1pm, the season crashed. Buffalo humiliated us, and the following week Sam threw 4 ints, or as @nico002 likes to call them, great punts. Sam's foot injury thing happened the next day and we were off on our way to a 4 win season.

Of course I remember that morning conversations we had. It was really a great start to the day. sadly the rest of the day went downhill as soon as we kicked off.

35 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Lol you still remember that? I file away disappointments about the jets as fast as I flush TP.

When the season is over I begin all over again with hope and a positive outlook. I am probably going to have egg on my face by the midway point of the season but in the meantime I'll ride the wave. If you've been a jets fan long enough you come to realize this IS the best part of the season. So drink up fellas...this is as good as it gets until I see otherwise.

I'll remember our pre game discussions that day for quite awhile. Wish the game had gone a lot better. That WAS the turning point of the season.

I'll remember our pre game discussions that day for quite awhile. Wish the game had gone a lot better. That WAS the turning point of the season.
Lol maybe I am getting old. Either that or I have been down this road so many times that I dont care as much as I used to..... or I care passionately for shorter periods of time.

The last two seasons under Bowles have been the worst two seasons of my fandom. I am so excited for this next season in comparison,  but unsure if its if I was so low and the team coming back to a normal level excitement is such a big gap or if I'm really really excited. Does that make sense? I can tell you this it seems like the good old rex seasons days to me today.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Same ole, same ole.....   It’s new every 4 years.  Christmas every 4 years.  

Nothing about this season is the same as 4 years ago or the 4 years before.  

You dont even believe it because why would you follow the team if you already know nothing is going to change. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing about this season is the same as 4 years ago or the 4 years before.  

You dont even believe it because why would you follow the team if you already know nothing is going to change. 

Oh... how we forget.  You can't suck for 50 years without effort.  But let's stay on the Johnson era. Nothing he has done tells me we will or can win a SB.  I LOVE Darnold but that's one piece. We draft poorly, develop poorly, overpay vets. So..  Ill simply wait and watch.  Trust fund and NFL success are not correlated.

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Oh... how we forget.  You can't suck for 50 years without effort.  But let's stay on the Johnson era. Nothing he has done tells me we will or can win a SB.  I LOVE Darnold but that's one piece. We draft poorly, develop poorly, overpay vets. So..  Ill simply wait and watch.  Trust fund and NFL success are not correlated.

During the Johnson era we had our longest run if sustained success in franchise history.  He's not Jim Dolan or Dan Snyder

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

During the Johnson era we had our longest run if sustained success in franchise history.  He's not Jim Dolan or Dan Snyder

That’s because he inherited a roster built by Bill Parcells

Woody forced a stupid trade for Tim Tebow and overruled Bradway and Rex who wanted to draft Russell Wilson,  hired Mac and Bowles and now has a job doing nothing in London while his even dumber and weaker brother celebrates 5-11 seasons

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

The last two seasons under Bowles have been the worst two seasons of my fandom. I am so excited for this next season in comparison,  but unsure if its if I was so low and the team coming back to a normal level excitement is such a big gap or if I'm really really excited. Does that make sense? I can tell you this it seems like the good old rex seasons days to me today.

Just getting rid of Bowles is a huge deal

This team started out the season 3-3.  Then this empty suit Bowles who falls asleep drooling on himself on the sidelines basically stinks up the joint rest of the season

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That’s because he inherited a roster built by Bill Parcells

Woody forced a stupid trade for Tim Tebow and overruled Bradway and Rex who wanted to draft Russell Wilson,  hired Mac and Bowles and now has a job doing nothing in London while his even dumber and weaker brother celebrates 5-11 seasons

Year 1 and 2 they had a roster built by Parcells, steinberg, and kotite but because Parcells ribboned our cap we soon had to completely retool and did so which led to a division title in 2002 and another playoff berth in 2004.  After that a regime change and another almost brand new team made the playoffs in 2006 then they retooled again and made 2 more playoff apps.

Jet fans did nothing but bash bradway(notice how much worse things have been since he left the organization?) But now we believe the Russell Wilson stuff? You think Woody overruled on something like that? You think Woody had any idea who as quniton cooled was that he had to have him?

He hired Mac and Bowles at the recommendation of former super bowl winning GMs.  

He was far from perfect but Woody was much better than he gets credit for.  It's almost like people forget what like was like under Leon Hess.

Bradway was not perfect, but we knew he was a scout.  He found players in the later rounds.  I think the coaches in the Jets organization have always exercised too much influence in the draft.  We see it in the current drafts   But it was also clear that Bradway ran out of gas, and he and his underlings allegedly enjoyed the social aspects of scouting more than the actual scouting   

I think it’s because the Johnsons are at the table with the coaches and GM.  When the coach lobbies for a player to the Johnsons, the GM caves.  

Although we can find evidence that Bradway scouted (e.g David Harris), I see Zero evidence of Mac doing any real scouting.  Zippo.   Maybe Robbie Anderson. Chris should just make the picks himself based on need and Kipers best available.  Honestly, if the Jets did that the last four years they would be a better team.  

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Uhm.......

I feel like the the (hang)brain-trust of the Jets has put the equivalent of a perineum on the idea of building an OL.

Really? Tough crowd. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for your post in the future to be sure all the I's are dotted & the T's are crossed. ?? 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Year 1 and 2 they had a roster built by Parcells, steinberg, and kotite but because Parcells ribboned our cap we soon had to completely retool and did so which led to a division title in 2002 and another playoff berth in 2004.  After that a regime change and another almost brand new team made the playoffs in 2006 then they retooled again and made 2 more playoff apps.

Jet fans did nothing but bash bradway(notice how much worse things have been since he left the organization?) But now we believe the Russell Wilson stuff? You think Woody overruled on something like that? You think Woody had any idea who as quniton cooled was that he had to have him?

He hired Mac and Bowles at the recommendation of former super bowl winning GMs.  

He was far from perfect but Woody was much better than he gets credit for.  It's almost like people forget what like was like under Leon Hess.

More like years 1-4 Woody had a roster entirely built by Parcells that got to the playoffs three out of 4 seasons until it crashed and burned in 2005

Bradway and Rex both publicly said they wanted Wilson and hated Stephen Hill.  Tebow was Woody’s hero

And to top it all off Woody supported Idzik deciding not to sign any nfl caliber for 2 years then blamed Rex for it and then overcompensated giving Revis a $100 million when he was old and had man boobs

Oh and both the Redskins and Knicks have made the playoffs more recently than the jets

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We've been at our best, outside of the SB under Johnson.  Unfortunate but true.  3 AFCCGs, etc.  

Whole point is are we excited about the future, not to rehash real or imagined nightmares and assume things can never improve.  Just look at the Pats before this historic run.  Nothing about that org said dynasty.

I feel....Indifferent.

On one hand, i'm excited to have the QB in place and to see him grow.  That I am absolutely excited for.

I always look forward to FA/Draft time of year, its where a lot of excitement comes in.  But this year im not really feeling it, at least not yet.

I just have a big worry we are going to overpay for players who aren't going to really bring the level of play we are hoping for.  

I'm also not really sold on Gase, but at the same time, I didn't feel like there was a coach I wanted above any of the others either.

I think right now, for me, there are way too many question marks that is preventing me from getting excited.

I am cautiously excited but will have to wait another few weeks to see the free agency plan.  If there is pressure to sign high profile guys rather than solid pieces to fill in the many gaps we have then I will be disappointed.  Signing Bell and Clowney, at the expense of the OL, will demonstrate the plan is flawed.  Everyone is clamoring for Flowers and while I think he's would be a very good addition, I wouldn't throw an extra few million his way because of his ring.  The only position I would overpay for is LT because Beachum must be replaced and there aren't many good options in the draft.  Sign your future LT and all of the other pieces can fall into place.  If the plan is prudent.  And center cannot be an afterthought.  

While Mac has his flaws he has done a good job pulling off trades that have helped the team.  If the combine proves that Haskins is the real deal the #3 pick goes up significantly in value and I'm hoping Mac can pull off a whopper of a deal.  AJ Green and #11 for #3?  Then draft Cody Ford at #11 and you fixed two holes in one stroke.  That would make me excited.  I don't expect Mac to trade back too far for high 2020 picks because either this teams gets better this year or someone else will be making those picks.

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Lol maybe I am getting old. Either that or I have been down this road so many times that I dont care as much as I used to..... or I care passionately for shorter periods of time.

Ain't nobody gettin younger. lol

Archived