How much enthusiasm do you have for next season right now?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yep.

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see if Sam Darnold starts earning all the Jets Fan "he's the best QB like, ever" praise or not.  

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see Gregg Williams coach our Defense.  I expect to be disappointed.

I have little enthusiasm for seeing Gase Coach.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't expect it.

I have no enthusiasm for watching Macc work Free Agency or the Draft.  I have no confidence in his decision making as of right now.

Perhaps the most enthusiasm I have is to see what our new Uniforms and Logo look like.  I expect it to look like a duck hit by a semi truck combined with Oregon's garrish color styles, but maybe I'll be moderately surprised and might like it.  At least watching the melt-down amongst fans will be fun.

Beyond that, my enthusiasm needs to be earned, not just given.  And the Jets just haven't earned it.

This is my favorite post in this thread. I agree with everything you said here. I wish I was clever enough to have put those words together.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I think you're a new guy (or gal, to be fair) who has no concept of what a lifetime of being a Jets Fan is like.

All longtime Jets Fans are dead inside.  If they admit it or not.

Its a funny observation form the outside looking in but I'm pretty much there with you as well.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

And I think you're a new guy (or gal, to be fair) who has no concept of what a lifetime of being a Jets Fan is like.

Guy....I’m here for the fun, half the time I post snarky comments, or tongue in cheek light hearted stuff.

I know very well about the dark times, been a fan of my university football program since the 60s and the John McKay days through the horrible Smith-Hackett years to Pete, and now this sh*t show.  I know your pain.

I don’t know, think it hurts more when it’s your school, because it’s more than just about football...,your heart is torn out at every awful down period, you can’t leave and follow another college, you have too great of an emotional investment.

The NFL is a business, owned by fat cats to make money, or to add to their expensive toys.  You have that to deal with. You have players that you discard once their skills start to decline, the franchise and fans move on.  Troy Polamalu learned that the hard way.  

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I’m good right now . But if we start of FA slow like the past few years that could change quickly .  I wanna actually be in on some top tier players this year . Not just all budget guys 

We need to save cap room for the year 2049 when we finally have new ownership that cares about winning

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I’m good right now . But if we start of FA slow like the past few years that could change quickly .  I wanna actually be in on some top tier players this year . Not just all budget guys 

Agree.  I'm actually very excited for next year right now.  But I'm also quite optimistic Mac is going to get FA and the draft right. 

I truly believe with the right moves this team can compete for a playoff spot next year.   We can be an 8 win team after week 14 (3 games to go)

When the draft and early FA is done things might change - but for now I'm pumped.

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Let’s see?  

Bowles and his crappy coaching staff are gone

Sam is the real deal and best young qb in the nfl

$100 mil in cap space

Top draft pick

Yeah I’m enthused

Mahomes and Mayfield say hello?

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Huh? You're basically supporting my position, not arguing it. I said the Cards, Bills and Raiders are the teams we are most like right now, and they are a mess. But so are we. Look at the draft position. We are the first AFC team to pick this year, meaning we are the worst team in our Conference. My point in the prior post was I didn't understand this thought of us going 10-6 next year. Are we going to be the only team that improves, while the entire AFC falters and comes back to us?

Also, I wasn't saying the Raiders were a better team, I said they were set up to do much better in the draft with all those picks then the Jets are. The "Gruden effect" is an urban legend to me. He tore the team down completely, and with 5 1st round picks the next two years and an excellent talent evaluator in Mike Mayock now on board, I don't see how anyone else could have set a team up for a faster rebuild. One more thing, this "friction " between him and Carr? That could be a myth also. Carr actually had a pretty decent season. And where did his team quit on Gruden "numerous times" LOL? They actually ended the season on a relative high note. 

Then onto the Bills. How can a Jet fan dismiss them with "Well, they're the Bills." What are we exactly? When did we become this model organization and perennial contender that we can look down our noses at anyone else?

The Cards? I never mentioned anything about them being even close to a good team. What I said was we were more like them, the Bills and the Raiders, then the we are to the Browns, Colts, and Chiefs. 

So, thanks again for helping me make my argument!!! This is why we always get along, my friend! ?

Look 10-6 may be a stretch, but if you look at the schedule, and factor in the "Bowles Effect which I believe to be real, there is no reason we can't go 9-7 next season, with 8-8 a very reasonable expectation.  The Mike Mayock point is well taken, but how much he'll be in charge of the draft, other than a  "consultant" remains to be seen.  You know very well how Gruden is, Saddam Hussein didn't delegate much authority, I imagine.  Besides, as I pointed out 2 of the three number ones will be seen as "replacements" for Cooper and Mack.  They will not likely be as valuable as those they replaced in the next year or two, if ever.  The "friction" was not a one mention phenomenon.  It was cited numerous times by varying sources over the course of the season.  Knowing Gruden you can't count it out'  They quit four times over the last 10 weeks of the season with a few admirable wins sprinkled in. If you saw the 49er game, it was ugly. You did say that the Raiders were essentially the better team.  My opinion is that Gruden was overrated as a "quarterback whisperer" and evaluator, and grossly overrated as a Head Coach and Talent Evaluator.  The dismantling of the roster was an in season decision after expectation was, going in, that the game plan was to make slight additions to what was viewed as a "talented" roster.  Connor Cook and EJ Manuel were Gruden's backup quarterback choices, going into the season, enough said.  Let's not forget Martavis  Bryant.  When it became apparent that the season was quickly going into the ditch, The "Chosen One" threw Reggie McKenzie under the bus and the "rebuild" began.  As for the Bills their ownership group is a worse joke than ours has been to date.  They "scooped up" Rex after he imploded here in the most hideous of fashions, and the fiasco with Doug "the dog" Marrone was a beaut.  Or futility even this  season did not approach that of the Cardinals and as I stated I think Kliff Klingsbury is in for a rude awakening about the difference between college and the NFL, his comments about Kyler Murray as exhibit A.  What right minded mature individual says things like that while walking into a new position with a top 10 quarterback draft  choice already on board.  Even if he felt that way to verbalize it to the media was outright stupid.  So no my friend, I did not make you argument as you so poignantly alleged.  My point was, an is ,that the Jets are in better shape, as presently constituted, than either the Bills, Cardinals, and yes, Raiders.  How's that? Haha.

Not much right now. As a long-time Jets fan, I feel like I've been ripped off over the last four years. I can't even remember the last time I watched the Jets play a meaningful game in the second half of November onwards. There's so much the Jets need right now (that Macc has failed to provide in the last four drafts) that I'm just not sure right now. Talk to me after the draft. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Not true old buddy been a fan since the NY Titan's in 1960 at 16, and I'm excited about the future.. I do agree bad seasons affect some people more then others.. The 70's was a dismal time for a Jet fan and you weren't around for that I don't think..:beer:

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Not true old buddy been a fan since the NY Titan's in 1960 at 16, and I'm excited about the future.. I do agree bad seasons affect some people more then others.. The 70's was a dismal time for a Jet fan and you weren't around for that I don't think..:beer:

So, I presume the image in the photo is not your girlfriend then, shame. She's still a beauty anyway.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This was the crux of my issue with what you said, that ,and the Bills/ Cardinals comparison.  The rest was completely rational.

It all good, I know you and I can both disagree yet be adults about it. We're really not that far apart on anything though. I never meant to imply the Raiders would take the league by storm, I merely mentioned them as one of the teams we are comparable to, and that they're set up better for this the draft then the Jets. I can see them improving next year more then us because of that. I never buy into things like the Gruden rumors, until I see it with my eyes. I think he's got a plan, and I'm interested in seeing how it works out. That said, you're not the only person to have concerns about him, so your points have merit. You're certainly not making sh*t up, LOL.

As far as the Jets, Bills, Cards, and Raiders comparison,  I think they're all lousy football teams. Of course one of them can have a great offseason and then 7-9 wins enters the equation. Yes a team can turn it COMPLETELY around in one year. Its been done before, but we're looking at 3 organizations whose FO offer no evidence they're capable of pulling it off. You're certainly allowed to disagree but I'm going to stand by what I said about the 4 of them being bottom feeders.

One thing the Jets, Cards and Bills have in common is the hope their young QBs will change that for them. Its very easy as a Jets fan to say we have the right one of the three, but forgive me for withholding judgement on that just yet. I think Darnold can be good, I'm far from convinced the others cannot. 

Hopefully we're talking in a couple of years about the teams we think can challenge us for our AFC title defense, but this upcoming season I'd be very, very happy with 8-8, and the certainty that both our HC and QB are the ones we want going forward, and that we improved the talent level on our roster. To me that would constitute a great year. If you think 10-6 or better is in the equation, nothing wrong with you thinking that. We're all just spit balling here. I'd be very happy to tell you next January you were right, I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Don’t worry there’s a chance Mac signs your hero Fitz to hold a clipboard

You're still flogging that, eh? :blink:

Still not my hero.  Still better than Geno was or will ever be.  Still the best statistical year for a Jets QB since Namath.

I know it's hard to be as wrong as some folks were back then, but they really need to let that bitter feeling go.....maybe the'll be right for a change next time!

Plenty of enthusiasm. Everyone starts at 0-0 in September and you go from there.

Round about this time last year people were wondering if the Jags could take that last step and make the Superbowl, based on their best season in forever. Things can change fast (in both directions!).

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody will know anything about next years team until after the draft and FA. At present, we're a bottom feeder with a potential FQB, a Pro Bowl Safety, and nothing else that really matters. Where this 10-6 talk is coming from, I have no idea. The AFC teams I think that should be excited are the Chiefs, Browns, and Colts. All 3 have young QBs, along with way more talent then us. and in the case of the latter 2, plenty of cap space also.

We're a lot more like the Bills and Cards then those 3 teams. Even the Raiders would be a better bet next season then the Jets, with their 3 firsts, and a bunch of other top picks atop the draft. Those 4 teams (OAK, CLE, IND, KC) would be a BUY for next year If they were a stock. The Jets would be a HOLD at best, and if they don't get Bell, I'd downgrade them to a SELL along with Buff and ARI.

A "Pro Bowl MVP Safety".  

9 hours ago, Gibby said:

I would say I am cautiously optimistic about the direction the franchise is heading in. They (appear) to be approaching it the "right" way. Full transparency. I wanted Sam 3rd. I wanted Baker 1st and Rosen 2nd. At a first glance, looks like I batted 500 on this one- but time will tell. I really don't think you can even start to evaluate a QB fairly (either way) until you have seen him at least a few years surrounded by at least a somewhat concomitant supporting cast.

I absolutely loved what I saw from Sam in the last month when he came back. I am really hoping that the brain-trust puts a perineum on the O-line first. I do not want to see what happened to Andrew Luck happen to Sam. I speak from the position of a football coach as I have coached it for the last 8 years. Admittedly not at the level of the NFL with world class talent, but I can tell you this as many of you would probably agree- you can always out -scheme your opponent with different variations of zone blocking, misdirection, counter- or simply run them over when you need to if you have the men up front. Once you establish this, the passing game becomes far more easy to execute. In other words.....  I would much rather prefer to have a dominant line than one dominate back or receiver. Not saying we don't need to add a WR1 because we do.

I think the Williams hire was huge! This group needed someone to kick them in the ass!! I think there is already a lot to work with on this side of the ball. Maye has to stay healthy, I think they need to find another corner. As far as the edge rusher is concerned...... Only about 28 other teams in the league need to add this. I think there are plenty of them in this draft. I would actually like to trade our (3) to build capital. We can make up for the fact of not having a (2) and still get a good one.

Having said all this- yes I am excited- but this off-season is a crucial as   any other I have witnessed in my agonizing 30 + years as a Jet fan. If they push the right buttons....... This could be a great ride. SHOW ME JETS. Show me.      

Uhm.......

I feel like the the (hang)brain-trust of the Jets has put the equivalent of a perineum on the idea of building an OL.

19 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How about a "I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriocheats" thread for a change. Where is the Joy in Jetville?  We have a 22 year old stud Quarterback, a new coaching staff, a pocket full of spending money, a couple of pieces on the roster, and the #3 overall pick in the draft.  Until it's proven otherwise, the future looks bright. Let's stop the woe is me crap and get on with it.  I for one, can't wait.

Patriocheats - That is classic

Archived