How much enthusiasm do you have for next season right now?

TuscanyTile2

Nobody will know anything about next years team until after the draft and FA. At present, we're a bottom feeder with a potential FQB, a Pro Bowl Safety, and nothing else that really matters. Where this 10-6 talk is coming from, I have no idea. The AFC teams I think that should be excited are the Chiefs, Browns, and Colts. All 3 have young QBs, along with way more talent then us. and in the case of the latter 2, plenty of cap space also.

We're a lot more like the Bills and Cards then those 3 teams. Even the Raiders would be a better bet next season then the Jets, with their 3 firsts, and a bunch of other top picks atop the draft. Those 4 teams (OAK, CLE, IND, KC) would be a BUY for next year If they were a stock. The Jets would be a HOLD at best, and if they don't get Bell, I'd downgrade them to a SELL along with Buff and ARI.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not much. I think it’ll be a mess. Next year is all about 1. Darnold making a jump, 2. Seeing how Gase handles New York, and 3. Seeing if Greg Williams can squeeze a little juice out of the stiffs Maccagnan keeps drafting on defense. If Darnold goes crazy, we could do the 10-6 thing, but it’s more likely an 8-8, 7-9 type years while Gase cleans up the roster.

You need to be cuddled more.

giphy.gif

I would say I am cautiously optimistic about the direction the franchise is heading in. They (appear) to be approaching it the "right" way. Full transparency. I wanted Sam 3rd. I wanted Baker 1st and Rosen 2nd. At a first glance, looks like I batted 500 on this one- but time will tell. I really don't think you can even start to evaluate a QB fairly (either way) until you have seen him at least a few years surrounded by at least a somewhat concomitant supporting cast.

I absolutely loved what I saw from Sam in the last month when he came back. I am really hoping that the brain-trust puts a perineum on the O-line first. I do not want to see what happened to Andrew Luck happen to Sam. I speak from the position of a football coach as I have coached it for the last 8 years. Admittedly not at the level of the NFL with world class talent, but I can tell you this as many of you would probably agree- you can always out -scheme your opponent with different variations of zone blocking, misdirection, counter- or simply run them over when you need to if you have the men up front. Once you establish this, the passing game becomes far more easy to execute. In other words.....  I would much rather prefer to have a dominant line than one dominate back or receiver. Not saying we don't need to add a WR1 because we do.

I think the Williams hire was huge! This group needed someone to kick them in the ass!! I think there is already a lot to work with on this side of the ball. Maye has to stay healthy, I think they need to find another corner. As far as the edge rusher is concerned...... Only about 28 other teams in the league need to add this. I think there are plenty of them in this draft. I would actually like to trade our (3) to build capital. We can make up for the fact of not having a (2) and still get a good one.

Having said all this- yes I am excited- but this off-season is a crucial as   any other I have witnessed in my agonizing 30 + years as a Jet fan. If they push the right buttons....... This could be a great ride. SHOW ME JETS. Show me.      

9 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How about a "I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriocheats" thread for a change. Where is the Joy in Jetville?  We have a 22 year old stud Quarterback, a new coaching staff, a pocket full of spending money, a couple of pieces on the roster, and the #3 overall pick in the draft.  Until it's proven otherwise, the future looks bright. Let's stop the woe is me crap and get on with it.  I for one, can't wait.

This

If anything, this is the most excited I’ve been for a new season in years.

We finally have an offensive minded HC to oversee the development of our potential star young QB. Have a Top 5 DC in Gregg Williams overseeing the other side of the ball and changing back to a base 4-3. Roughly $100 million in cap space and a Top 3 pick.

If you can’t get excited by that stuff then I don’t know why the hell you even bother.

We'll do to the Giants, what they did to us with Snacks. We'll sign Vernon. Bosa will fall to us, and Jones and Nickerson will realize their potential in Williams defense. Any quality offensive lineman who's available in free agency we'll make a big play for. Mac will trade up into the 2nd round with Jenkins and a 3rd and draft the best guard or WR available. Thats the bright side view. Hope im right.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not much. I think it’ll be a mess. Next year is all about 1. Darnold making a jump, 2. Seeing how Gase handles New York, and 3. Seeing if Greg Williams can squeeze a little juice out of the stiffs Maccagnan keeps drafting on defense. If Darnold goes crazy, we could do the 10-6 thing, but it’s more likely an 8-8, 7-9 type years while Gase cleans up the roster.

Yep...once we drafted Darnold, this became a three year process....we're heading into year 2.  Much more optimism than in the past, and I'll be excited to watch Jets football early next year....but I'm not expecting some miraculous run.  At least we (and maybe the Bills with Allen) can make it a little more difficult than usual for the Pats to win the division and get a bye.

2020 is where my real expectations of being able to really complete are.

The only thing exciting for me with this team at this point in the offseason is Sam Darnold.  I'm not a fan of the Gase hire.  I think mixing him with Greg Williams seems toxic and bound to blow up.  And now hearing that Williams stomped his feet and forced his son onto the coaching staff really make me nervous about how the chemistry among the coaches will work.  Then you add in the fact the reporting structure hasnt changed, yeah, I'm resigned to feeling like this is destined to fail.  Probably the fact it's the Jets who always get it wrong is factoring in as well.

That said, my enthusiasm can change based on the offseason.  If the draft and FA are looking like they've actually added players that can help the team/exciting to watch, then I assume my enthusiasm will increase as well. 

For now?  meh

Maccagnan has yet to prove he has any idea of how to assemble a competitive team.   Forget the whole coaching situation, this team needs talent and I have little faith the GM is capable of making the right moves.  His past failures over the last 4 years has forced him to have to hit on the vast majority of his FA signings and draft picks.  Something he hasn’t even come close to doing since he’s been here.  

Meh. The Pats actually had a bit of a down year and still won the Super Bowl. They are pretty much a lock to go 12-4 and win the division...again.  

The Jets roster is terrible. The same GM is here. They were the worst team in the league aside from Arizona, who was also playing a rookie QB. The season rests on Darnold making a legit jump from his rookie season. 

With all the predictive data available it’s hard to be overly optimistic. The one variable is Darnold. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This but with even more depressing results.

35 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I have a lot of enthusiasm for 2019.  We have a QB, and the coaching will be much better.  Also Plenty of cap space and excellent draft position. 

How will the coaching be better?  Can you give us some examples?

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody will know anything about next years team until after the draft and FA. At present, we're a bottom feeder with a potential FQB, a Pro Bowl Safety, and nothing else that really matters. Where this 10-6 talk is coming from, I have no idea. The AFC teams I think that should be excited are the Chiefs, Browns, and Colts. All 3 have young QBs, along with way more talent then us. and in the case of the latter 2, plenty of cap space also.

We're a lot more like the Bills and Cards then those 3 teams. Even the Raiders would be a better bet next season then the Jets, with their 3 firsts, and a bunch of other top picks atop the draft. Those 4 teams (OAK, CLE, IND, KC) would be a BUY for next year If they were a stock. The Jets would be a HOLD at best, and if they don't get Bell, I'd downgrade them to a SELL along with Buff and ARI.

Sorry bud, but not this time.  Understand your points about the Chiefs ,Colts, and Browns, easy pickins, but what do you see in the Raiders.  True they have  3 first round picks, but let's look at this a little closer.  One first rounder was to replace Khalil Mack, that's a loss.  They won't be able to replace him with their own pick at #4, much less  with the pick they'll get from Chicago this year.  Now take the Amari Cooper pick from the Cowboys, another loss.  To replace his skill set, experience, and production with that pick would be a minor miracle.  In an average  draft it can be safely assumed that one of every three first rounders will bust, so let's assume that.  Then you have the " Gruden effect".  He did a horrible job last year, and his team quit on him multiple times.  Then you have the "friction" with Carr, the "stadium" effect, and the turning over of the roster.  As far as the draft goes, other than the three number ones, they have all of their allotted picks with the addition of an extra #6 and #7.  Hardly a bunch.  The Cardinals are in much worse shape than we are.  They had a  horrendous offense, their quarterback, unlike ours, showed very little progress as a rookie, and have a neophyte Head Coach who I fear is in over his head and is "in love" with an undersized unintelligible quarterback who he overrates as the top pick in the draft.  The Bills?   Well, they're the Bills.  Nope, not this time.  

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yep.

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see if Sam Darnold starts earning all the Jets Fan "he's the best QB like, ever" praise or not.  

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see Gregg Williams coach our Defense.  I expect to be disappointed.

I have little enthusiasm for seeing Gase Coach.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't expect it.

I have no enthusiasm for watching Macc work Free Agency or the Draft.  I have no confidence in his decision making as of right now.

Perhaps the most enthusiasm I have is to see what our new Uniforms and Logo look like.  I expect it to look like a duck hit by a semi truck combined with Oregon's garrish color styles, but maybe I'll be moderately surprised and might like it.  At least watching the melt-down amongst fans will be fun.

Beyond that, my enthusiasm needs to be earned, not just given.  And the Jets just haven't earned it.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yep.

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see if Sam Darnold starts earning all the Jets Fan "he's the best QB like, ever" praise or not.  

I'm moderately enthusiastic to see Gregg Williams coach our Defense.  I expect to be disappointed.

I have little enthusiasm for seeing Gase Coach.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't expect it.

I have no enthusiasm for watching Macc work Free Agency or the Draft.  I have no confidence in his decision making as of right now.

Perhaps the most enthusiasm I have is to see what our new Uniforms and Logo look like.  I expect it to look like a duck hit by a semi truck combined with Oregon's garrish color styles, but maybe I'll be moderately surprised and might like it.  At least watching the melt-down amongst fans will be fun.

Beyond that, my enthusiasm needs to be earned, not just given.  And the Jets just haven't earned it.

I think you’re dead inside.

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Sorry bud, but not this time.  Understand your points about the Chiefs ,Colts, and Browns, easy pickins, but what do you see in the Raiders.  True they have  3 first round picks, but let's look at this a little closer.  One first rounder was to replace Khalil Mack, that's a loss.  They won't be able to replace him with their own pick at #4, much less  with the pick they'll get from Chicago this year.  Now take the Amari Cooper pick from the Cowboys, another loss.  To replace his skill set, experience, and production with that pick would be a minor miracle.  In an average  draft it can be safely assumed that one of every three first rounders will bust, so let's assume that.  Then you have the " Gruden effect".  He did a horrible job last year, and his team quit on him multiple times.  Then you have the "friction" with Carr, the "stadium" effect, and the turning over of the roster.  As far as the draft goes, other than the three number ones, they have all of their allotted picks with the addition of an extra #6 and #7.  Hardly a bunch.  The Cardinals are in much worse shape than we are.  They had a  horrendous offense, their quarterback, unlike ours, showed very little progress as a rookie, and have a neophyte Head Coach who I fear is in over his head and is "in love" with an undersized unintelligible quarterback who he overrates as the top pick in the draft.  The Bills?   Well, they're the Bills.  Nope, not this time.  

Huh? You're basically supporting my position, not arguing it. I said the Cards, Bills and Raiders are the teams we are most like right now, and they are a mess. But so are we. Look at the draft position. We are the first AFC team to pick this year, meaning we are the worst team in our Conference. My point in the prior post was I didn't understand this thought of us going 10-6 next year. Are we going to be the only team that improves, while the entire AFC falters and comes back to us?

Also, I wasn't saying the Raiders were a better team, I said they were set up to do much better in the draft with all those picks then the Jets are. The "Gruden effect" is an urban legend to me. He tore the team down completely, and with 5 1st round picks the next two years and an excellent talent evaluator in Mike Mayock now on board, I don't see how anyone else could have set a team up for a faster rebuild. One more thing, this "friction " between him and Carr? That could be a myth also. Carr actually had a pretty decent season. And where did his team quit on Gruden "numerous times" LOL? They actually ended the season on a relative high note. 

Then onto the Bills. How can a Jet fan dismiss them with "Well, they're the Bills." What are we exactly? When did we become this model organization and perennial contender that we can look down our noses at anyone else?

The Cards? I never mentioned anything about them being even close to a good team. What I said was we were more like them, the Bills and the Raiders, then the we are to the Browns, Colts, and Chiefs. 

So, thanks again for helping me make my argument!!! This is why we always get along, my friend! ?

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There is a bit of a difference between being a jets fan since they drafted Darnold and being a jets for for 20 years.  We have been though decades of happy happy joy joy feelings with almost not evidence to suggest things are going to magically turn out rainbows.

We have a fantastic looking franchise Qb.

We have a new coach that got lousy result on offense in miami and who was turfed from that div rival.

We have a Gm that has proven he so far knows nothing about team building.

Will we get surprised?  Hopefully but realism is better than blind optimism.

The way this season should be looked at right now. Until We see what additions and subtractions are made right now we are still that 4-12 team.

I am psyched for FA, the draft and can't wait for TC to start. It will be interesting to see what they look like and how much the roster has changed. Still not too confident in Macc and I don't know if he can pull off what needs to be done this off-season. That is the only red flag for me. Otherwise I'm all in as I am every year.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I hate agreeing with you.   But I agree with you.

6-7 wins.   Arguing in December about winning games that don't matter so we can draft #6 instead of #12 overall.   Complaining about not having an O Line, no weapons, and no pass rusher.

Enthusiasm? For Jets football? I just had to watch a painful Super Bowl with the world’s most hated team winning yet again with the world’s douchiest QB/Head Coach combination ever while the Jets decided to retain a bottom 5 GM and hire a Dolphins castoff whose claim to fame is that he did a good job with Peyton Manning once. The only saving grace is that they have a QB who, if progress is made, will keep this team competitive on his own most games. I don’t have faith in the way this team is being constructed around him and until there is a regime change in the front office, I’ll have more enthusiasm watching hockey and baseball. 

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Yep...once we drafted Darnold, this became a three year process....we're heading into year 2.  Much more optimism than in the past, and I'll be excited to watch Jets football early next year....but I'm not expecting some miraculous run.  At least we (and maybe the Bills with Allen) can make it a little more difficult than usual for the Pats to win the division and get a bye.

2020 is where my real expectations of being able to really complete are.

How did you sneak into the room carrying all that patience and common sense?

Archived