Chandler Catanzaro - our New Old Kicker

rayzor

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

80% + FGs eacch of the last two years, but he missed 5 XPs last year.  Not likely to give us as good a season as Myers did last year, but might be equal to what Myers would have given us this year.

Myers himself would most likely not give us as good a season as he did last year either.  

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He was decent I recall.  Meyers replaced him!  He completed 83.3 % of his field goals in 2017.  What's interesting is apparently he didn't re-sign in 2018 because he "didn't like to kick in cold weather ".  

Global warming for the win.

He was decent two years ago, and of the few things the Jets deserve credit for, it's getting good seasons out of otherwise struggling kickers.  Each of Folk, Catanzaro, and Myers saw a huge improvement when they came here, and in the case of the first two, immediately regressed to their mean after they left.  I guess we might end up seeing whether they can make that happen twice over with the same guy.

I'm sure they'll also pick up an undrafted rookie to come in and compete with him for the spot.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

He was decent two years ago, and of the few things the Jets deserve credit for, it's getting good seasons out of otherwise struggling kickers.  Each of Folk, Catanzaro, and Myers saw a huge improvement when they came here, and in the case of the first two, immediately regressed to their mean.  I guess we might end up seeing whether they can make that happen twice over with the same guy.

I'm sure they'll also pick up an undrafted rookie to come in and compete with him for the spot.

So what all this really means is that we gotta hold on to our ST CS no mattter what.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Strong leg. I liked him. Slightly inaccurate at times but really strong leg.

He was fine. IIRC his accuracy seemed worse because he went 2-for-4, with 2 missed longer kicks in a monsoon vs Atlanta. In games without that stormy weather he was 23/26. Another miss came in a meaningless week 17 game we entered with a 5-10 record and were probably going to lose anyway. First glance it looks like all his misses - including the 2 Atlanta ones - were from 45+ which is fine for consistency.

I liked Myers, but if he is again 100% inside 45, and still making most of the rest in normal conditions from 45 all the way to 57 yards, that should suffice. 

What's of greater concern than anything from 2018 was his performance with Tampa in 2017. 7/8 from 30-39, 0-3 40-49, and 2 missed XPs. He did settle down with Carolina, so hopefully we're just not getting the Tampa version.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was fine. IIRC his accuracy seemed worse because he went 2-for-4, with 2 missed longer kicks in a monsoon vs Atlanta. In games without that stormy weather he was 23/26. Another miss came in a meaningless week 17 game we entered with a 5-10 record and were probably going to lose anyway. First glance it looks like all his misses - including the 2 Atlanta ones - were from 45+ which is fine for consistency.

I liked Myers, but if he is again 100% inside 45, and still making most of the rest in normal conditions from 45 all the way to 57 yards, that should suffice. 

What's of greater concern than anything from 2018 was his performance with Tampa in 2017. 7/8 from 30-39, 0-3 40-49, and 2 missed XPs. He did settle down with Carolina, so hopefully we're just not getting the Tampa version.

Seems like we always get our kickers to play decently. The Boyer effect?

Myers got 5.5 Mil in year 1... guaranteed... they can cut him after that with no cap hit... but it would be less advantageous to do so because each year he stays the annual salary goes down. 5.5 for a kicker is stupid money... 

I really liked Myers and was sorry to see him leave.  At 5.5 million dollars, the Jets had no choice.  Tampa "poisoned " the contract so that the Jets would not match.  Good job by them.  Catanzaro was more than adequate, just wasn't crazy about the inconsistency.  Never had the same confidence in him that Myers gave.  Leg strength is there, so that's good.  Definitely not an upgrade.  If he has a  great season, it will be a  push, but I doubt it.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I wonder why we only signed him for 1 year.  We'll have to go through this again next season?

He got cut mid-season by the Bucs last year, so he's really done nothing to deserve any more than that.  I have little doubt they'll be looking to give him competition in camp.

If anyone cares, Catanzaro signed for 1 year/$2.3M. Includes a $500K signing bonus and $1.8M base salary ($100K guaranteed). ThIs saves them $3.2M relative to what Jason Meyers got.  Did we overpay??  Dan Bailey only cost the Vikings $1M

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

If anyone cares, Catanzaro signed for 1 year/$2.3M. Includes a $500K signing bonus and $1.8M base salary ($100K guaranteed). ThIs saves them $3.2M relative to what Jason Meyers got.  Did we overpay??  Dan Bailey only cost the Vikings 1M

Surprised he got that much, considering this is a guy who was a midseason cut last year.  Not a big deal though, with the only disappointing part being with $600k already committed to him, whatever undrafted rookie they are sure to bring in to compete might have that working against him a little bit.

Archived