And the most underrated jets season is...

Philc1

2013.  The jets were unanimously picked by everyone in the media to go 1-15 and be by far the worst team in the nfl.  Peter King said we would win the Clowney Bowl and go 0-16.  We had a bad roster and Geno Smith at QB and just lost Darrelle Revis

Ended up going 8-8 including wins over Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Drew Brees

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

saved Rex's job for another year and doomed this team with the Idzik 12

Never before has so little been done with so many resources.

A smart GM would turn 12 picks into 7 great players AND a draft pick the following year.  We ended up with bust city.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Never before has so little been done with so many resources.

A smart GM would turn 12 picks into 7 great players AND a draft pick the following year.  We ended up with bust city.

Not to mention he played Mexican standoff with every FA and got outbid for everyone he wanted. Ultimate arrogance: expecting the market to conform to your own views. 

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Reminds me of how intolerable the Geno Smith fan boys were on a different Jets forum. They would speak down and belittle you if your opinion of Geno wasn't positive. Thank God for IK Enemkpali.

Wasn’t just other forums. People still hate me here for pointing out the obvious to the Genoids.

Sometimes, being right just has to serve as its own reward.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

I would say 1996. 1-15, we were so close to perfection.?

Definitely underrated season of all seasons. It’s really hard to be that bad. Even the worst teams win 3-4 games they should absolutely lose. Only Macc signing McClown cost us the chance to beat that record. 

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Reminds me of how intolerable the Geno Smith fan boys were on a different Jets forum. They would speak down and belittle you if your opinion of Geno wasn't positive. Thank God for IK Enemkpali.

My fears of Todd Bowles began early on.

He kept Geno as the starter headed into camp, just because was started the year before. Lol ok...like you said, thank God for IK.

Then Week 1 at home. He chooses pickle pants with our white jerseys. Knew Bowles was horrible in that moment. 

The most surprising and fun was manginis first year. We were very innovative and had exciting players like leon washington and brad smith. Chad was dinking to coles and cotch and they were great after the catch. Shotty gets grief here, but that first year with mangini we were the surprise of the nfl, mangenius was pulling off original motivation manuveurs, and schottys motion offense with running option for brad smith were fun. I think we made the playoffs and lost to new england. We also had likeable non diva players. It was a very good year (frank sinatra) 

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

2013.  The jets were unanimously picked by everyone in the media to go 1-15 and be by far the worst team in the nfl.  Peter King said we would win the Clowney Bowl and go 0-16.  We had a bad roster and Geno Smith at QB and just lost Darrelle Revis

How does Peter King say the jets would win the Clowney Bowl & go 0-16... I guess he must have been smoking something that day. ?

1986 was a good one for me. I was a relatively new recruit at the time. Only had a few years in with an AFC Championship game fresh in my mind. I thought was buying into years of successful football. lol  Double overtime loss in Cleveland. UGH!!! 

Great, painful watch here. These were MY Jets. 

21 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I like the 1981 Jets 10-5-1. Jets were on the uprise. We should of beat Buffalo in that wild card game but everything went wrong and we still had a chance to win at the end. Loved that team!

This was after more than a decade of horrible teams - ray o' sunshine!

21 hours ago, section314 said:

I would say 1996. 1-15, we were so close to perfection.?

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Coming off 4-28 the prior 2 seasons, O"Donnell at QB, and one bad decision from the playoffs. A truly shocking and good season. 

Proving what a difference HCing can make.  Parcells followed Kotite, who somehow managed to take a team with at least some talent and drag them to only 1 win.  Parcells turned them into 9 with a a completely different coaching staff, a new outlook and optimism

22 hours ago, jgb said:

Not to mention he played Mexican standoff with every FA and got outbid for everyone he wanted. Ultimate arrogance: expecting the market to conform to your own views. 

Idzik did not even take Revis agents phone call before he signed with pats*

He was really that single focused on Decker?

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

The most surprising and fun was manginis first year. We were very innovative and had exciting players like leon washington and brad smith. Chad was dinking to coles and cotch and they were great after the catch. Shotty gets grief here, but that first year with mangini we were the surprise of the nfl, mangenius was pulling off original motivation manuveurs, and schottys motion offense with running option for brad smith were fun. I think we made the playoffs and lost to new england. We also had likeable non diva players. It was a very good year (frank sinatra) 

I went to nashville for opening day that year.  Chad threw for over 300 yards and looked back to form.  That was a great season.

I always thought if Vilma got that gimmie sack at the end of the 1st half against the pats in the playoffs we would have won that game.

Wow, another person laps up, what the media said.

That was one of the worst years for the Jets ever.

They got destroyed in most of their losses, won two games on the last play when the other team handed them gifts and gave up an ungodly number of big play scores on defense.

That was the ultimate case of 'you are not what your record says you are.'

And worst of all?  It convinced people that Rex was on the right track and so we had to suffer for a few more years with him.

You also get -10 points in the game of life for basing this on 'Peter King said.'

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wow, another person laps up, what the media said.

That was one of the worst years for the Jets ever.

They got destroyed in most of their losses, won two games on the last play when the other team handed them gifts and gave up an ungodly number of big play scores on defense.

That was the ultimate case of 'you are not what your record says you are.'

And worst of all?  It convinced people that Rex was on the right track and so we had to suffer for a few more years with him.

You also get -10 points in the game of life for basing this on 'Peter King said.'

Dude, c'mon.  I get that people may overrate the season, but still.  One of the worst years ever?  We have had a minimum of 3 consecutive years that were considerably worse. 2015 is literally the only season since that it could even be argued was better.   It is pretty much guaranteed to be mid-pack or better on the decade.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, c'mon.  I get that people may overrate the season, but still.  One of the worst years ever?  We have had a minimum of 3 consecutive years that were considerably worse. 2015 is literally the only season since that it could even be argued was better.   It is pretty much guaranteed to be mid-pack or better on the decade.

It deluded the team into thinking rex was still the answer, two wasted years later....

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It deluded the team into thinking rex was still the answer, two wasted years later....

Rex only coached the team one more year.  By this criteria 2015 was much worse.  It deluded "the team" into thinking that Fitzpatrick didn't suck, that they should pay him a fortune, that Maccagnan was "Executive of the Year" that should be given two or three attempts to rebuild, that Bowles was a competent coach, etc.  

On 3/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, Philc1 said:

That was one of the greatest coaching jobs of all time, imagine winning 8 games with a rookie Geno Smith?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

There was only one more season with Rex when idzik sabotaged him so he could fire him after 2014.  This led to the Todd Bowles era.

Archived