Why is Darron Lee still here?

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He stinks, no one will trade us a carton of eggs for him, and we have 3 players at the same position who are better

He might be okay as a role player.  In fairness, he was our best cover LB and was on pace for a hundred tackles last year if he could have laid off the doobies.  I don't like him either but I wouldn't just cut him unless our fifth rounder shows up big in training camp.

• Upvote 1

He will be gone before the season starts.  He is not a better back up than guys like neville hewitt and the new draftee.  He is also a partial head case and ingratiated himself to the team by not showing up at optional workouts if i am not mistaken. 

I keep hearing lets see how he does after gregg Williams works with him.  I'd say he is gone because gregg Williams probably does not like butter soft linebackers.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He will be gone before the season starts.  He is not a better back up than guys like neville hewitt and the new draftee.  He is also a partial head case and ingratiated himself to the team by not showing up at optional workouts if i am not mistaken. 

I keep hearing lets see how he does after gregg Williams works with him.  I'd say he is gone because gregg Williams probably does not like butter soft linebackers.

I knew the playing ability wasn't there. I thought that he would be discovered whenever he got extensive playing time.

It's the crap he's pulled off the field or the inability to sit and understand a simple defensive meeting that really freaks me out? He's even more useless than I thought. My hope is maybe someday he'll be smart enough to once and for all actually listen to and follow the coaches direction. If he does that, he might actually find a place in a 4-3 defensive front someday.

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Gregg Williams is the defense whisperer though. All of these bad players will suddenly be superstars! Macc was genius all along and, if only, Williams had been here instead of Bowles there would have been multiple Superbowls with these uber talented players (Please ignore that Williams defenses haven't ranked much better than the sh*tshows that Bowels put on the field).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

He's got a $1.8M salary this year. If they're not getting anything for him in a trade, they might as well hold onto him as depth and hope he figures into the comp pick formula next offseason. He's exactly the kinda guy they might get a pick for before final cuts, though. 
What depth players are better?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I’d like to see if Williams can get some value from him. The defense for the last few years looked completely out of position and confused for the most part. Lee has played well in some games but the roll he play under the Bowles/Rodgers cluster was too BIG for him. He’s definitely not ILB material on run plays. Could do well in pass coverage over the middle where the Jets got eaten up last year. I think they were shopping him but couldn’t get a deal worth moving him.

I think he gets traded. He’s got value and if we’re lucky we’ll get a third or enough to close the gap to get a corner. However, we have Cashman who is a better and smarter version of Lee. Cashman will be a starter before the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I can see Gase cutting him if Lee Lees it up in preseason and let’s [insert mediocre TE] embarrass him

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

why would you cut him now?

your post seems to be an over-reaction.  cut him later after camp.

Because I’ve seen this clown get torched by almost every tight end in the nfl last 4 years 

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I think he gets traded. He’s got value and if we’re lucky we’ll get a third or enough to close the gap to get a corner. However, we have Cashman who is a better and smarter version of Lee. Cashman will be a starter before the end of the year.

What do you mean by starter? Mosley and Williamson will have majority of the snaps.

Cashman will be sharing back up snaps with Neville Hewitt who had 26 solo tackles, 4 QB hits, and 1.5 sacks. Limited production on limited time, I can see Cashman's numbers similar to these next year.  However, Cashman will definitely get hit shot on special teams.

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Because I’ve seen this clown get torched by almost every tight end in the nfl last 4 years 

okay. that's fine.  why cut him now was the question.  your answer doesn't really address the point that there is no need to do the cutting now.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Who could you sign for 1.8 million for next season that would be better?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He could free up a roster spot and make it possible for Mac to sign a Center, CB, WR?? Any of those options are far better than keeping a player that:

1) knows his days are numbered and probably doesn't give a crap, not that he ever did.

2) He will not get much playing time anyway. There's a log jam at ILB and Lee is a castoff.

3) Is a complete idiot off the field. If he pops another drug test the Jets will never find a trade partner for him.

Moreover, the Jets still have approximately 30 million under the cap. The Jets are already well prepared to pay more than 1.8 million if the right player shakes loose.

9 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

What do you mean by starter? Mosley and Williamson will have majority of the snaps.

Cashman will be sharing back up snaps with Neville Hewitt who had 26 solo tackles, 4 QB hits, and 1.5 sacks. Limited production on limited time, I can see Cashman's numbers similar to these next year.  However, Cashman will definitely get hit shot on special teams.

No, I mean taking snaps from Williamson on passing downs and getting in the game because of a great preseason.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, jetscrazey said:

Do Bowles/Arians not want him in Tampa?  Seems like the last option.

It might simply be the fact that he's an ex Buckeye, but Browns fans want him badly. They think he's the missing piece to their defense. As much as we talk scenarios to get rid of Lee, that's how often they talk up possible trades FOR him. 

Apparently Dorsey doesn't feel the same way...