Why is Darron Lee still here?

Philc1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know this has been rehashed over and over but the simple fact is he is under contract and still has some physical talent.  it's up to williams to see if he can be used in some fashion.  also, why would any team try to make a trade if they think he's going to be cut at some point during training camp or preseason?  granted a trade would ensure that a team gets him but that assumes there's more than one team that wants him.  right now he's only been associated with the bungles.

He's got a $1.8M salary this year. If they're not getting anything for him in a trade, they might as well hold onto him as depth and hope he figures into the comp pick formula next offseason. He's exactly the kinda guy they might get a pick for before final cuts, though. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

He's got a $1.8M salary this year. If they're not getting anything for him in a trade, they might as well hold onto him as depth and hope he figures into the comp pick formula next offseason. He's exactly the kinda guy they might get a pick for before final cuts, though. 

Unless you actually need the roster spot which we might.

I don’t like Lee, but he’s cheap and is not bad for a back up.

”IF” we can move him in final roster moves or during the season I’m all in. I just think he’s got little trade value. Who wants an undersized, soft Linebacker who’s already got a strike for PEDS?

As others have mentioned, he is cheap, he gives us some depth and he could be a special teams contrbutor.  No need to cut him.  If we can get a decent pick for him in the summer or at the deadline, then move him.  Otherwise, keep him around as cheap depth and see what he does under a new DC.

Think two reasons. 1) Williams has a role for him like the one he envisioned for Barr 2) the "rumored " trade we had to move up in rd #2 to draft Hardman. Believe the partner was the Eagles, also the team reportedly interested in Lee. When KC traded up one spot ahead, and took Hardman, deal was off.

The second big story of this season (next to Gase & Darnold) will be watching how our defensive players respond to being held accountable under Williams. They’ve skated for four years under Bowles and Rodgers, but they’re about to get their asses kicked by a psychotic DC. It could be that a guy like Lee might prosper under a no-nonsense coach. A lot of players can’t function without structure and accountability, while other guys can’t handle being screamed at. Lee, Williams, Adams, Polite, Shepard, Trumaine, etc will all be interesting to watch.   

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

He stinks, no one will trade us a carton of eggs for him, and we have 3 players at the same position who are better

I think he will be moved before week 3 of preseason. Mac has mentioned the possibility of still adding players during camp and preseason. 

For depth purposes, Lee earned a 84.8 pff grade in coverage for linebackers. That was the 3rd best coverage grade by a line backer in 2018.

I honestly would not mind moving Lee over to an outside linebacker and using him on passing downs. I always thought with his speed he could be good in the pass rush but I guess with his size he might be too small for the edge. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The second big story of this season (next to Gase & Darnold) will be watching how our defensive players respond to being held accountable under Williams. They’ve skated for four years under Bowles and Rodgers, but they’re about to get their asses kicked by a psychotic DC. It could be that a guy like Lee might prosper under a no-nonsense coach. A lot of players can’t function without structure and accountability, while other guys can’t handle being screamed at. Lee, Williams, Adams, Polite, Shepard, Trumaine, etc will all be interesting to watch.   

This is Trumaine's second go-round with Williams, isn't it? He seemed to do OK first time round, and I can't help but feel his issues last year were due to Bowles / Rogers. If I recall correctly he was suspended / benched for the last game without any real reason being given.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a good point. It will replicate what they had in college. These young guys(save Shepard) all played for big time, no nonsense coaches in college. Would Urban Meyer have stood for this crap? Also, I've said for years that these players had better coaches in college. This can only be a positive.

I'll be the first to say I am as adamant as philc about getting did of Lee. I knew it was a useless pick about 5 minutes after it was made. 

But Phil goes too far in berating him. Lee definitely has value for a 4-3 base defense. He can still fly. But that team will need to be able to get through his stupidity. I have never seen that is so arrogant and yet his play sucks. Honestly, I think he psyched himself right out of the game the very second he was drafted. His arrogance is so blatant that he must be as dumb as a post?

I still believe if the Jets wait until the right time to get rid of the little twerp, they could get possibly a 4th rounder out of him.

Maybe Gregg Williams wants to work with him.

It will play out how it is to play out.  But it is not hurting the Jets locker room-wise or cap-wise to have him on the team. 

Who knows?  An injury in camp or the first few pre-season games could have a team come calling.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

This is Trumaine's second go-round with Williams, isn't it? He seemed to do OK first time round, and I can't help but feel his issues last year were due to Bowles / Rogers. If I recall correctly he was suspended / benched for the last game without any real reason being given.

Trumaine had a lot of picks and PDs while playing press for Williams, but they also had a baller front seven. The fear with Trumaine is that he was a marginal athlete to begin with and now he’s 29 and super rich, so it remains to be seen if he’s just shot or he just didn’t give a sh*t last year. Wasn’t he posting Instagram pics of the Brooklyn Bridge when he skipped practice last year? 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

This is a good point. It will replicate what they had in college. These young guys(save Shepard) all played for big time, no nonsense coaches in college. Would Urban Meyer have stood for this crap? Also, I've said for years that these players had better coaches in college. This can only be a positive.

No question some of them weren’t going hard for Bowles, but now they have the polar opposite dynamic. I can see guys like Lee, Quinnen, Jenkins, Williamson, and Mosley being into it, but you could see a Cali bro like Leonard Williams cracking under it and not responding to being screamed at. Similarly, it’s hard to see a guy like Polite handling it well if (as reported) he can’t handle hard coaching. The interesting one will be Jamal Adams and what happens when Williams flips out on him for blowing a coverage or just being a dancing goofball in general if/when the team is down 14.

Decent player, can start but is not very good, showed some glimpses last year, no good trade offers for him.  My guess is that the Jets are going to hang on unless there's a decent offer for him.  Otherwise, let him walk and take a compensatory pick next year.  Maybe Gregg Williams has some ideas for how to use him and is basically saying, "If you can't get anything better than a 6th round pick for him then let's keep him."

2 hours ago, slats said:

And i expect this is their mind set

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because if CJ Mosley blows a knee or Achilles or something happens to the other guys ahead of him, they’ll need him. He’s also cheap and there’s no sense in dumping him. 

Hewitt and Williamson are both better

Archived