Off topic, sorry, Bill Buckner has died

26 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes... they ran him out of town. he lived out west for years.  BUT my memory is they welcomed him back and he got a round ovation from the city and all seemed to be forgiven.  BUT literally his family was not welcome there until 2004. 

terrific player. Great hitter. 

He played for them half the year in 1987 and came back to play for them in 1990. I was only 3 in 1986 and I’ve never lived in Beantown so I couldn’t tell you the temperature of the city, but most fans have let it go. Probably not right away and they definitely could have treated him better. He was class and grace through it all. 

40 minutes ago, Lith said:

Its a shame that Buckner's career has come to be defined by one bad play.  Had a really good 20+ year major leage career.  Dave Stapleton was the Sox late inning fielding replacement in every game the Sox won in that postseason, but John Mcnamara decided Buckner should be on the field for the last out.  And people forget that the game was already tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch a couple of pitches before the Wilson grounder.  But all anyone remembers is Bill Buckner not fielding a ground ball.  He always seemed like a class act who should be remembered by the 2,500 other major league games he appeared in.

RIP.

Buckner was a Met killer when he played with the Cubs. Felt like every time he was up he’d hit a double. He was an outstanding hitter on the same plane as Keith Hernandez. And he handled the 86 WS goof with nothing but class. RIP

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Never gets to that point if Calvin Schiraldi doesn't peg the suck meter...

Or if his idiot manager takes him out for a defensive replacement as he absolutely should have.  He was hobbled by a bad ankle for years. 

Shame is as said, 2700+ hits, almost HOF career and remembered for one play that never should have happened.  RIP

• Upvote 1

Sad news, Way too young 

The guy could hit

Batting title in '80, 1200+ ribbies, First 16 years with the Dodgers and the Cubs was the part of his career where he got MVP votes and an all star game

.. and yes, a bad rap, the game was tied, Mookie was going to beat it out (it was right in front of me so I'm sure about that). Important part was how much class he handled himself in the aftermath. A lesson to all you kids out there. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

The game was already tied up at the point. The Sox weren’t about to win. They were about to go to extra innings. 

Also if I was a betting man....Mookie beats him go the bad anyway. 

I assume you meant to type to the bag. We'll never know.

as i recall, buckner did boot the ball that would've won the game but the dead sox did still have a lead after the play and their relief pitchers could not hold onto the lead.  the stupid fans just couldn't understand that bigfoot stanley should never have been pitching in that situation.  unfortunately they had no alternative.  and then the dead sox had a lead in the seventh game which they failed to hold.

buckner never got a fair shake on that play.

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as i recall, buckner did boot the ball that would've won the game but the dead sox did still have a lead after the play and their relief pitchers could not hold onto the lead.  the stupid fans just couldn't understand that bigfoot stanley should never have been pitching in that situation.  unfortunately they had no alternative.  and then the dead sox had a lead in the seventh game which they failed to hold.

buckner never got a fair shake on that play.

That play tied the score. Calvin Schiraldi was the real goat, as mentioned here already. 

That Mcnamara went to him was astonishing, because the Mets knew him so well (from their system) and was well known in the Met dugout to meltdown. he had no backbone.

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That play tied the score. Calvin Schiraldi was the real goat, as mentioned here already. 

That Mcnamara went to him was astonishing, because the Mets knew him so well (from their system) and was well known in the Met dugout to meltdown. he had no backbone.

That play didn’t tie the score. The Mets had already tied the game (via wild pitch).

If Buckner fields it cleanly and IF he beats Mookie to the bag, they go to the 11th. 

19 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I think Mookie Wilson might have beat it out anyway.  He was flying towards first base and Buckner had to really hurry. It wasn't a gimme  play.

Even if he makes the play and mookie is out the game was still tied.  Boston also held a 3 run lead in game 7(I think), to blame Buckner for losing that series was always unfair.

19 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Buckner also had bum ankles at that time and the manager kept trotting him out there. What kind of sense does that make?

Don Baylor was the only other 1B on the roster but at this point in his career, he was the "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS" 1B. he was the regular DH because he was still a decent hitter but if you had to pick one to play 1B, it's Buckner all day, every day before you'd put Baylor in the field.

Despite his mobility issues, Buckner was still their best option. Wilson's speed, as much as anything caused that error and even if Buckner had caught the ball, with his momentum carrying him toward the foul line, the odds were against his beating Wilson to first base.

6 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Don Baylor was the only other 1B on the roster but at this point in his career, he was the "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS" 1B. he was the regular DH because he was still a decent hitter but if you had to pick one to play 1B, it's Buckner all day, every day before you'd put Baylor in the field.

Despite his mobility issues, Buckner was still their best option. Wilson's speed, as much as anything caused that error and even if Buckner had caught the ball, with his momentum carrying him toward the foul line, the odds were against his beating Wilson to first base.

Dave Stapleton was the Sox late inning defensive replacement at 1B throughout that postseason.  He came in for Buckner in Games 1,2 & 5 of the WS, plus he finished all 4 ALCS victories.  McNamara got sentimental and left Buckner in with the lead in Game 6 with a  better option on the bench.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

i stand corrected on the game's score after the play but at the same time they put an awful lot of blame on the guy and there were others on the dead sox that deserved it.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i stand corrected on the game's score after the play but at the same time they put an awful lot of blame on the guy and there were others on the dead sox that deserved it.

No, the Buckner play did WIN it for the Mets. Can't believe that I brain farted on that one.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:11 PM, roscoeword said:

I think Mookie Wilson might have beat it out anyway.  He was flying towards first base and Buckner had to really hurry. It wasn't a gimme  play.

I always thought Mookie beats him to the bag either way.

Why do the Sox have a first baseman out there protecting a lead who can barely move?