How much do you care about the Jets?

jgb

Which best describes you?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Tell it

• Live and die by this team. A loss sends me into a tailspin for the whole week.
    • Care deeply. A win gives me a buzz and a loss wrecks my mood for a few days.
    • I care. Love a win but only embarrassing blowouts really piss me off.
    • There are other things in life. A win is great and a loss sucks but come Monday life goes on.
    • t0m shane

47 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I'll put it this way.  More than I care about my Mets right now.  I thought the Jets were disfunctional.  Mets waaaaayyyyyyy worse.  Love my Jets though, and I think they are getting things right finally.

Baseball is like ambiance. Background noise. Football commands full attention. 

Put it this way. I'll play with the kids during a baseball game. No one dares distract me when the Jets are playing. 

I'm certainly not going to re watch a baseball game. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

For the three hours during the game, nohting else matters.  Family problems, issues at work, whatever might be stressing me out; it all goes away during the game.  Nothing else matters.  But over the last few years, when it has been obvious that the Jets wouldn't contend, the losses have not stuck with me. 

Edge of the seat, hanging on every play, tension building as the game goes on, I have had those feelings on Saturdays watching the Dawgs, but not on Sunday, not for a while; with the excpetion of the 2015 season which we all know did not end well.  I want that feeling again on Sundays.

Last losses that really stuck with me were the Bills game to close out 2015 and the AFCCG in Pitt.

This may sound silly but I think that game ended any heartache I will ever feel for the Jets.  I legit remember waking up that day to the mantra of "please dont be the Jets today" repeated over and over again in my head.  And then...I had to watch that lifeless team, run Stevan Ridley into the line over and over again and watch Sammy Watkins abuse the then retired Darrelle Revis and watch Fitz throw pick after pick and Todd Bowles standing there emotionless doing nothing about it while my favorite all time Jets coach, laughed across the field as he just swept the Jets and eliminated them from playoff contention.

It was the most Jetsiest moment of my life and that's when I legit remember saying to myself, spending any emotional energy on a team this dysfunctional is not worth it. 

Basically, pro sports are a distraction.  I could give 2 sh*ts.  Saturday?  Totally different.  And I wasnt that way till recently.  I was always an NFL is king kind of guy.  Not anymore.  Saturdays > Sundays, easily. 

edit; though I'm aware this very much just might be the symptom of being a lifelong Jets, Mets, Knicks, Islanders fan.

• Upvote 2

True that!

Baseball is like ambiance. Background noise. Football commands full attention. 
Put it this way. I'll play with the kids during a baseball game. No one dares distract me when the Jets are playing. 
I'm certainly not going to re watch a baseball game. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using JetNation.com mobile app

23 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The data projections have kind of put a damper on sports as whole. The unknown in Darnold right now keeps me interested. JN is fun though.

This. I wouldn't say that I'm addicted to the Jets. I will say that I am addicted to this site.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:22 AM, sourceworx said:

I used to care a lot. Now, with two young kids, and nearly a decade of the Jets being barely competitive, I care a lot less.

However I will admit that I'm very excited for this season.

Im at the other end of the fence.  My 2 daughters are in their 20s and I'm in an empty house since my divorce. 

I've got a renewed interest in the Jets and can scream at the tv naked eating fajitas alot more now.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jgb said:

Don’t disagree but if it was pure entertainment, you’d be just as content to watch random teams play. Fandom by definition involves an emotional (illogical) element.

Part of the entertainment value is rooting for a particular team but to some extent I would rather watch a great game involving two other teams than watch the Jets play terribly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This may sound silly but I think that game ended any heartache I will ever feel for the Jets.  I legit remember waking up that day to the mantra of "please dont be the Jets today" repeated over and over again in my head.  And then...I had to watch that lifeless team, run Stevan Ridley into the line over and over again and watch Sammy Watkins abuse the then retired Darrelle Revis and watch Fitz throw pick after pick and Todd Bowles standing there emotionless doing nothing about it while my favorite all time Jets coach, laughed across the field as he just swept the Jets and eliminated them from playoff contention.

It was the most Jetsiest moment of my life and that's when I legit remember saying to myself, spending any emotional energy on a team this dysfunctional is not worth it. 

Basically, pro sports are a distraction.  I could give 2 sh*ts.  Saturday?  Totally different.  And I wasnt that way till recently.  I was always an NFL is king kind of guy.  Not anymore.  Saturdays > Sundays, easily. 

edit; though I'm aware this very much just might be the symptom of being a lifelong Jets, Mets, Knicks, Islanders fan.

I had almost the exact same response. That was the last game that hurt my feelings.  I used to have terrible Mondays. Not anymore. It was just so damned Jets to get knocked out of the playoffs at 10-5 by Rex Ryan.  Unreal.  Something broke that day and it looks like I'm not alone. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I had almost the exact same response. That was the last game that hurt my feelings.  I used to have terrible Mondays. Not anymore. It was just so damned Jets to get knocked out of the playoffs at 10-5 by Rex Ryan.  Unreal.  Something broke that day and it looks like I'm not alone. 

Not alone for sure.  Something broke.  Up until that season, I legit couldnt tell you the last time I out right missed a Jets game.  And if for some reason, there was something going on that conflicted with the game, my anxiety would be at an all time high and I'd do just about anything to find a way to watch.

Over the last 3 seasons, I've missed a bunch of games with zero concern.  Last year was a bit different because of Darnold but I didnt tune into a single game when Josh McCown was QB while Sam was injured.  I watched the first 2 drives of the Bills game and that was it till Sam came back. 

That said, this is the case for the NFL as well.  There was a time I'd watch any NFL game, no matter what.  Now the product is terrible and games are boring as hell and if the Jets arent on, I usually dont care. 

• Upvote 3

Not nearly as much as I used to. Came to the conclusion a long time ago that so long as Woody owns the team they’re not winning anything. Team sports as a whole are starting to get boring to me. And the way the NFL made pro football almost 100% dependent on one position sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the game itself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of people buy PSL's who don't give two sh*ts about the Jets.  Having a lot of money is not a prerequisite for being a fan any more than buying a Jet Ski proves you are the only type of person who truly loves water sports. 

@SAR I, you embody some of the most unlikable qualities in a person.  And I pity you. 

As you told me how much you pity me, I turned my head slightly to the left and glanced at my 3 BMW's.  And then I smiled.

I'm as big a computer/TV Jets fan as you are but I go the extra mile to pay for 10 Jets games a year at full price and make 8 hours worth of effort getting to/from MetLife Stadium and, sorry, that makes me a significantly bigger fan than anyone sitting on a $50 couch with $10 worth of beer and a $5 counterfeit jersey.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As you told me how much you pity me, I turned my head slightly to the left and glanced at my 3 BMW's.  And then I smiled.

I'm as big a computer/TV Jets fan as you are but I go the extra mile to pay for 10 Jets games a year at full price and make 8 hours worth of effort getting to/from MetLife Stadium and, sorry, that makes me a significantly bigger fan than anyone sitting on a $50 couch with $10 worth of beer and a $5 counterfeit jersey.

SAR I

So if someone does not have the financial resources and or the time to regularly attend games, then they're lesser fans?  

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not alone for sure.  Something broke.  Up until that season, I legit couldnt tell you the last time I out right missed a Jets game.  And if for some reason, there was something going on that conflicted with the game, my anxiety would be at an all time high and I'd do just about anything to find a way to watch.

Over the last 3 seasons, I've missed a bunch of games with zero concern.  Last year was a bit different because of Darnold but I didnt tune into a single game when Josh McCown was QB while Sam was injured.  I watched the first 2 drives of the Bills game and that was it till Sam came back. 

That said, this is the case for the NFL as well.  There was a time I'd watch any NFL game, no matter what.  Now the product is terrible and games are boring as hell and if the Jets arent on, I usually dont care. 

That's really interesting.  We had very similar shifts after that. I did the same thing when Darnold went down. I was staining my porch and listening to the blowout Bills game on Sirius but was completely disinterested overall. I never would have planned a project that lasted past 12:30 pm on a Sunday. now? The porch needed stain and I did it right through the Jets game. lol 

In truth, I only watched 2 games the entire next two seasons after that Buffalo loss to Rex.  I took 2 years off and only returned when I saw that we may actually get a blue chip QB.  I love Sam and the potential of this team, but I can honestly say that it would not devastate me like the old days if it never works out.  I'm in to be sure, but the emotional tie is torn.  I'm almost positive it's heather this way.  Almost. 

I'm going to go to a few UVA games and even have plans to watch the county games down here in VA.  Let's go FLUCOS!!!  :-) 

I'll watch the young guys play ball and train my son who wants to leave the flag league behind and get into tackle.  

• Upvote 2

Went with care deeply. Growing up I was the first option for sure. Went to almost every game with my stepdad in middle school and high school and traveled to some. Went to the AFCCG in Pittsburgh and it wrecked me. I’m 28 now and my entire 20s has been the awful Rex/Idzik and Bowles/Macc era and its taken a toll on me. I’m excited for the future though and maybe will get back to 1, but hard when the past 8 years the seasons been over by mid October .

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Perfect example of something my grandmother would tell me growing up...”Mija, only vulgar people talk about how much money and possessions they do - or don’t have”

Your post is a prime example of ill breeding.  I’ll take the other guys.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Any of us that thought we had a chance after 2010 to compete with Sanchez (did that guy ever understand a playbook), streaky Fitz & then the 3 wins in 3 years Josh McCown had to be in the REALLY CARE CAMP. 

It's hard to believe I've stayed a fan of this team for 51 years. That's a lot of heartache. But this young QB Darnold has me excited again + the addition of a technical Offensive Coach + the Douglas crew running the show.

I could be wrong but I truly believe Sam Darnold is gonna be special. I love athletes that play with a calm quiet confidence & this kid has that. Even getting his azz kicked in that Miami game where he hurt his foot he kept getting up & competing not once slamming the ball on the ground after another sack, or not once shaking his head to show his disgust at the lousy protection he was afforded. 

Then, after sitting out, he came back & looked like a different guy to finish out the season. I have no doubt with his work ethic, smarts & ability to succeed off script that if Douglas & his crew surround Sam with capable NFL players, the Jets will be competing very soon for the division & some chances at a Super Bowl. 

We have too many prideful guys on this team now to continue being the sad sacks of the league. A fast start to the season could really propel us into the surprising team of the year. It's all about this Oline holding up. Let's hope Pollack can work some magic, Gase can speed up the offense & Darnold makes a huge 2nd year leap. If that happens I could see us FINALLY outscoring opponents. No more 8 punt halves. 

3 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Perfect example of something my grandmother would tell me growing up...”Mija, only vulgar people talk about how much money and possessions they do - or don’t have”

Yeah, your grandmother and her prehistoric virtue signaling was wrong.  But don't feel bad; mine used to say "a watched pot never boils".  It actually does.

SAR I

On 6/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, good to know that there are 5 different T0m Shane's on this board.  Confirms one of my theories. 

Kelly has to be one. T0m doesn’t like anyone as much as he likes himself. Obviously same person.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:16 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

No one is this obtuse. Even sociopaths learn how to fake it 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, your grandmother and her prehistoric virtue signaling was wrong.  But don't feel bad; mine used to say "a watched pot never boils".  It actually does.

SAR I

Don’t choke on your arrogance.  You’re ill bred and a braggart, no matter the age or generation.

Bigger, and more powerful men than you, have no need nor inclination to boast of their financial status on a sports message board.  In the grand scheme of things, your value is minimal, just one of countless others that make up season ticket holders.  Are you an owner?  VIP box seats?  If not, you have nothing to brag about.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Don’t choke on your arrogance.  You’re ill bred and a braggart, no matter the age or generation.

Bigger, and more powerful men than you, have no need nor inclination to boast of their financial status on a sports message board.  In the grand scheme of things, your value is minimal, just one of countless others that make up season ticket holders.  Are you an owner?  VIP box seats?  If not, you have nothing to brag about.

I don't boast.  I defend myself from Jets fans who take shots at PSL owners.  In the course of those debates the issue of money is always raised by the attacker and that's when I use that topic to defend it.

As for this thread, sorry, people who go to games and support the team financially through season ticket subscriptions are better fans.  Money matters, you know.  Give some of your money to the Jets.  Prove your loyalty with your wallet.  Wearing a Chinese eBay Darnold jersey in the basement for 3 hours a week doesn't cut it.

SAR I

17 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

This. This is why we love you. 

• Sympathy 1

I've been rooting for the Jets since 1974. I was 3 when I decided I liked "The green team the best". We left New York for Florida a couple of years later due decisions my father made for our family and his career.  I stuck with the Jets from the 1970s until now.... in South Florida, while in the Army,  living in Boston, living in SC, living in D.C., basically living everywhere my career has brought me, but have still gone to Jets home and away games regularly....I've quite literally spent Tens of THOUSANDS of dollars on tickets, flights, travel, lodging, Sunday Ticket, sports bars, and merchandise to see my team and sport their colors over the last 30 years. Season Tix and an easy commute to home games would have made things SO MUCH easier and cheaper. But as much as I love my team, I can't uproot my family, change careers, and leave my Parents just as they're really starting to need me....just for the ease of a PSL and season tickets to watch the Jets. 

And then some douchenozzle rich guy, who hates the chant and bitches about people standing to cheer during the games who has season tix and a 30 minute drive to the games (when he bothers to go and doesn't sell out to opposing fans on stubhub) has the audacity to question my or any others fandom. LOL. Now THATS ******* rich...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't boast.  I defend myself from Jets fans who take shots at PSL owners.  In the course of those debates the issue of money is always raised by the attacker and that's when I use that topic to defend it.

As for this thread, sorry, people who go to games and support the team financially through season ticket subscriptions are better fans.  Money matters, you know.  Give some of your money to the Jets.  Prove your loyalty with your wallet.  Wearing a Chinese eBay Darnold jersey in the basement for 3 hours a week doesn't cut it.

SAR I

You must be a soft little flower....why do you care what others say about PSL owners?  Why is that an excuse to look down that long, snooty nose of yours? 

Laugh it off while you get to sit in your seat, enjoy the game because it’s worth it to you.  One would think you’d respect any fellow Jets fan that live and die for the team, and post on this message board....it’s not as if the bandwagon is full, or there is this grand history to draw in the front runners.  These fans a true fans.

You don’t get it, but others get you...it’s not attractive.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Yeah, this guy doesn't boast, he is just delusional. Can you imagine how arrogant he will be when he opens his 2nd Mcdonalds?

giphy.gif