RB Melvin Gordon to hold out, wants trade if no deal

I wonder if he'd deploy the nuclear option and sit a season like Bell did?

$5.6M is a lot but not a ton of money to forgo in order to hit a big FA deal in 2020.

Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon wants a new contract and is willing to sit out training camp as a result.

Gordon’s agent, Fletcher Smith, told Adam Schefter of ESPN his client will not report to training camp and will demand a trade if the Chargers do not give him a new deal.

Gordon, the No. 15 overall pick in the 2015 draft, is set to receive $5.6 million this season, according to Schefter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845153-melvin-gordon-to-demand-trade-hold-out-of-training-camp-without-new-contract

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Never played a full season, only average above 3.9 ypc once (last year) and Austin Eckler and Justin Jackson can play.    They lost 1 game last season without Gordon.

I'd tell him to get a recliner, a bag of chips and start binging Netfilx.

Yup. he has had some games where he played great, but once he is out the other guys perform just as well. 

• Upvote 1

He can demand a trade, but they can just say "no".

Sit out training camp.  Then pull a hammy in the 1st few weeks from being out of shape, let the Chargers show they can play without him.   Then he can go FA, and see what the market will pay for a guy who was hurt and replaced.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

He's not good enough to pull this sh*t.

He's been in the league for 4 years.  He averages about 1300 total yards from scrimmage a year and 4.0 yards per rush.   That isn't that impressive, really just a little above average, I totally agree he isn't that great and can't pull a power play like this, it'll blow up in his face.

When he's healthy, he's a stud, but like has already been said, he has had quite a bit of injuries.  i don't think hes ever made a full 16 game season.

He is a difference maker, but there needs to be consistency to make a stance like this, but not sure he can really call that shot.  He would get a big deal in FA however,  Someone would pay handsomely for his services.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

What Le'Veon Bell did was a calculated move.  People can debate it up and down.   But in the business when you play RB; the position that teams look to use, abuse, and then spit out when it is time to pay them...

I flat out don't agree with those that criticize a player for fighting back.

On a side note...the Jets were the beneficiary of Bell's holdout.  He is my favorite skill player to watch and is going to make this team significantly better.

I'm not sure why the second contract is that tough to give though.  Let's say you draft a stud RB at 21 yrs old, he gets a 4/5 year deal and comes up for a new deal at 25/26 years old.  That's not a bad spot to give a guy another 4-5 year deal if he's truly that good.  Pay him a bit more upfront and make it easy to cut him in the final year at 29-30 years old.

I think the bigger problem is that teams are finding these good RBs outside of Rounds 1 and 2, and they seem to be much more replaceable than other positions.  If Bell is the example of holding out for a new deal then John Connor is the example of why the Steelers may have been right not to pay Le'Veon.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He's not good enough to pull this sh*t.

He's really really good. Some injury issues but some of his numbers don't look so good because he has had a pass happy offense and weak o-line the early part of his career.  Last year when they started to feature him more (had a  better o-line and defense) he had about 1400 yards of offense and 14 TDs in 12 games. That's elite level production. 

But he will find, like Leveon, that the RB market just isn't what they think it will be. 

59 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not sure why the second contract is that tough to give though.  Let's say you draft a stud RB at 21 yrs old, he gets a 4/5 year deal and comes up for a new deal at 25/26 years old.  That's not a bad spot to give a guy another 4-5 year deal if he's truly that good.  Pay him a bit more upfront and make it easy to cut him in the final year at 29-30 years old.

I think the bigger problem is that teams are finding these good RBs outside of Rounds 1 and 2, and they seem to be much more replaceable than other positions.  If Bell is the example of holding out for a new deal then John Connor is the example of why the Steelers may have been right not to pay Le'Veon.

I don't think they mind giving them a 2nd contract, it's the $$$ amount that is the problem. These RBs aren't worth as much as they think. They are big names, sell jerseys, but they are generally pretty easy to replace. Leveon Bell is a HOF RB in his prime and there wasn't a very big market for his services. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Never played a full season, only average above 3.9 ypc once (last year) and Austin Eckler and Justin Jackson can play.    They lost 1 game last season without Gordon.

I'd tell him to get a recliner, a bag of chips and start binging Netfilx.

Dude, the guy plays on a pass first team with Philip Rivers as the QB and guys like Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. 

The fact that his numbers are that good on the type of team he plays and also considering injuries is very impressive. 

If he was on a team like the Cowboys, his numbers would be through the roof. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's really really good. Some injury issues but some of his numbers don't look so good because he has had a pass happy offense and weak o-line the early part of his career.  Last year when they started to feature him more (had a  better o-line and defense) he had about 1400 yards of offense and 14 TDs in 12 games. That's elite level production. 

But he will find, like Leveon, that the RB market just isn't what they think it will be. 

Only half the issue for them. 

The other half is these teams thinking they can get away with using RBs at their age 25 and 26 year-old seasons on the final year or two of the rookie contract and/or slap them with the franchise tag.  

They risk injury and tens of millions...

RB position gets screwed more than any other.

Bell said enough.  And now Gordon is too.  And guys like Zeke, Kamara, McCaffrey, Saquon etc. are all probably quite happy about this.

53 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, the guy plays on a pass first team with Philip Rivers as the QB and guys like Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. 

The fact that his numbers are that good on the type of team he plays and also considering injuries is very impressive. 

If he was on a team like the Cowboys, his numbers would be through the roof. 

The Chargers were 24th in pass attempts this season.

I have no problem with RBs holding out. They get used and abused more than any other position and then teams franchise them. What really needs to happen is the NFL needs to get away from the Franchise Tag. I guarantee Gordon would be play or receiving a fair offer if the tag were not an option. I can't really blame teams either, I'd franchise tag a RB given the opportunity too because it is the smart thing for the team.

It's a shame the players association is so weak, if they really wanted to get what they want they'd sit out a season and force the owners to cave but there are too many players that are out of the league in a year or two and need the money. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gordon struggled his rookie year.  But he figured out how to play the pro game and has been a monster every year thereafter.

Only todd gurley and zeke elliot have more yards from scrimmage as a rb since 2015.  He is an elite nfl player.  Chargers need to buck up or someone else will.

Where the hell was he vs the Ravens in the playoffs (17 for 40 yards, 2.35 a carry). He's OK, he's no Lev Bell. Bell is a bona fide STUD & his career numbers are up there with Jim freaking Brown. I still can't believe our NY Jets ended up being able to sign Le'veon Bell. I'm telling you guys right now, Bell is gonna tear the Steelers a new azzhole at Metlife, especially with Sammy pulling the trigger & getting him one on one with LBs past the LOS. The Steelers brass is already dreading that game. The Steelers are a waffling team with an old QB, so, so defense, lost 2 of the best offensive weapons in the NFL in Bell & Brown & that are not a good road team. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Where the hell was he vs the Ravens in the playoffs (17 for 40 yards, 2.35 a carry). He's OK, he's no Lev Bell. Bell is a bona fide STUD & his career numbers are up there with Jim freaking Brown. I still can't believe our NY Jets ended up being able to sign Le'veon Bell. I'm telling you guys right now, Bell is gonna tear the Steelers a new azzhole at Metlife, especially with Sammy pulling the trigger & getting him one on one with LBs past the LOS. The Steelers brass is already dreading that game. The Steelers are a waffling team with an old QB, so, so defense, lost 2 of the best offensive weapons in the NFL in Bell & Brown & that are not a good road team. 

FFS I wish I had your optimism. 

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

Is there so much Jets info right now we can't chat about other teams?

Sorry Chirob, wasn't trying to be rude.

I legit have no idea who this guy is.  Nor did I get why we'd be talking about a speculative maybe-available RB given Bell.

No worries, it's very quiet so yeah, and I'm not the Mod anyway thank God, so you can talk about anything you like.  Just made go "huh?" when I first read it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

He obviously doesn’t know RB are useless in today’s NFL and are easily replaced by guys working at Home Depot or 7th round draft picks. 

I hear ya dude.

Yeah... I mean clearly the Rams lost nothing going from Gurley to CJA.  That offense was humming in the SB.

The Chiefs?  They didn't miss Hunt at all.

And my personal fave... the Steelers.  Of course they were the same team with Conner as they were with Le'V Bell.  I mean since Bell shed the 15-20 lbs to play lighter after his rookie season, Pittsburgh won 10 games, 11 games twice, and 13 games.  *Bell only played six games in 2015, the 10 win season due to injury.*  But hey, the Steelers went 9-6-1 with Conner!?!?

A backup rushes for 100 and scores a TD or two... and everything is just fine and dandy.

What a crock.

NFL games are often close.  3 point lines.  The difference between Le'V Bell and James Conner is not negligible.   It is significant.  Like 2 to 3 wins significant.  Bell is sometimes the best player on the field.  Anybody think that about Conner?  Ever?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I hear ya dude.

Yeah... I mean clearly the Rams lost nothing going from Gurley to CJA.  That offense was humming in the SB.

The Chiefs?  They didn't miss Hunt at all.

And my personal fave... the Steelers.  Of course they were the same team with Conner as they were with Le'V Bell.  I mean since Bell shed the 15-20 lbs to play lighter after his rookie season, Pittsburgh won 10 games, 11 games twice, and 13 games.  But hey, they went 9-6-1 with Conner!?!?

A backup rushes for 100 and scores a TD or two... and everything is just fine and dandy.

What a crock.

NFL games are often close.  3 point lines.  The difference between Le'V Bell and James Conner is not negligible.   It is significant.  Like 2 to 3 wins significant.  Bell is sometimes the best player on the field.  Anybody think that about Conner?  Ever?

We agree and I’m glad you got my sarcasm. 

• Sympathy 1