Great Profile of Gase in The Athletic (MERGED)

Lith

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gase picked up on a trend: After achieving a first down on their side of the field, the Titans usually played quarters coverage. He subsequently called for a quarters beater, and the result was a 75-yard touchdown in a Dolphins victory.

this is the shizz.   been saying for years....  i see our QB throwing to covered guys ALL THE TIME...

I see Brady, Brees and Rivers throwing to guys who have 2 yds separation OFTEN... 

(of course not all the time)  but......gimme some o that

48 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this is the shizz.   been saying for years....  i see our QB throwing to covered guys ALL THE TIME...

I see Brady, Brees and Rivers throwing to guys who have 2 yds separation OFTEN... 

(of course not all the time)  but......gimme some o that 

We've also almost never had a QB capable of "throwing a guy open".  Sure, GB receivers get separation.  But I've also seen plenty of beautiful throws by Rodgers over the receiver's proper shoulder to complete the pass despite tight coverage.  Is Davante Adams a special talent?  Perhaps.  But I certainly don't think he's better than DeAndre Hopkins or Julio. 

It takes a special kind of QB to do that with consistency.  Luckily I've seen Darnold already complete a few of those too. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've also almost never had a QB capable of "throwing a guy open".  Sure, GB receivers get separation.  But I've also seen plenty of beautiful throws by Rodgers over the receiver's proper shoulder to complete the pass despite tight coverage.  Is Davante Adams a special talent?  Perhaps.  But I certainly don't think he's better than DeAndre Hopkins or Julio. 

It takes a special kind of QB to do that with consistency.  Luckily I've seen Darnold already complete a few of those too. 

indeed, shwy i said NOT ALL THE TIME OF COURSE...

I'll buy into the Gase hype when we start winning a lot of games.  Every coach we hire is the greatest thing since sliced bread until we see what he can really do.  Gases offenses with the phins were nothing to write home about and it is not all 'oh he had no qb' excuse.  He has a grade A Qb and a grade a RB. 

• Upvote 3

This bit from Tannehill is interesting to me.

“I call him the evil genius,” says quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who played for Gase in Miami and is now with the Titans. “He’s always searching for the perfect play, the perfect scheme, a hole in the defense’s game plan. You should see him work the computer and crunch the numbers on a scouting report. It’s insane how fast he clicks around and does these quickie stats and sorts things. He’s always trying to find patterns that give the offense an advantage.”

While studying tape of the Titans last year, Gase picked up on a trend: After achieving a first down on their side of the field, the Titans usually played quarters coverage. He subsequently called for a quarters beater, and the result was a 75-yard touchdown in a Dolphins victory. “There was always something he’d come up with like that, every game,” says Tannehill, who threw the pass.

These types of patterns can be found with software if the data is available. Why is a meat bag spending time doing something a machine can do faster and better? If this software isn't available Douglas & Johnson need to get Gase in the room with a software consultant that can build it. It is 100% possible to do with machine learning given the data and parameters.

I am fully convinced the Pats have been exploiting other teams with software like this for years. Belichiks genius may be largely attributed to the fact that he knew to never let this cat out of the bag for his assistants to share with the league. Think about it - how could a team consistently, year after year get stronger and stronger as the year goes on in a league where injuries play such a huge role in who's strongest at the end of the season. Like they're immune or something. It's not magic - they are doing something the rest of the league isn't. This type of software provides better results with more data - so it wouldn't as very useful at the beginning of the season when the Pats are usually weaker. Early in the season it's relying more on data from previous years. Catch up.

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This bit from Tannehill is interesting to me.

These types of patterns can be found with software if the data is available. Why is a meat bag spending time doing something a machine can do faster and better? If this software isn't available Douglas & Johnson need to get Gase in the room with a software consultant that can build it. It is 100% possible to do with machine learning given the data and parameters.

I am fully convinced the Pats have been exploiting other teams with software like this for years. Belichiks genius may be largely attributed to the fact that he knew to never let this cat out of the bag for his assistants to share with the league. Think about it - how could a team consistently, year after year get stronger and stronger as the year goes on in a league where injuries play such a huge role in who's strongest at the end of the season. Like they're immune or something. It's not magic - they are doing something the rest of the league isn't. This type of software provides better results with more data - so it wouldn't as very useful at the beginning of the season when the Pats are usually weaker. Early in the season it's relying more on data from previous years. Catch up.

friends fail GIF

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

• Gase is very smart, hard-working, passionate and dedicated.  As I have said before, over the past three years I have watched a Dolphins team that looked better coached than the Jets.  
  • Gase did not receive top quality Personnel support in Miami.  Miami made a bet on Tannehill and forced Gase to work with him and the backups.
  • Despite the first bullet, Gase appeared to have the ability to self-destruct and blow up relationships with players, even if justified.  He will need to hold it together better with the Jets.  That will determine if he is successful at this job.  
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/obsessive-adam-gase-bolted-after-wifes-c-section-to-meet-with-peyton-manning/

Obsessive Adam Gase bolted after wife’s C-section to meet with Peyton Manning

August 7, 2019 | 3:25pm

Oct. 1, 2013 is Wyatt Gase’s birthday.

New Jets head coach Adam Gase knew this ahead of time — Wyatt was delivered by cesarean section — and according to The Athletic, told his wife to schedule the operation for 10 a.m. The reason why?

So he could make a 2 p.m. meeting with Peyton Manning.

“So they pulled the baby out of me and said, ‘It’s a boy,'” Gase’s wife, Jennifer, told the website. “They didn’t even put my organs back and sew me up before he’s like, ‘You good?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I’m good.’ He said, ‘All right then, I’m out.’ They said, ‘You want to cut the umbilical cord?’ He said, ‘No, I’m good.’ ”

Gase, then the Broncos’ offensive coordinator, made his meeting on time, and when Manning asked what he was doing there, the coach reportedly replied, “Yeah, but did you really think I was going to let you win this one?”

The anecdote is cast as an example of Gase’s life-defining competitiveness. According to the story, Gase is often working deep into the night, texting players and assistant coaches as late as 4 a.m. Jennifer Gase said that she gets a separate hotel room when going to road games, because Adam is up all night watching tape, and when at home, he’s at the office from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Gase’s office is windowless, so he can work at all hours of the day, per the story.

“I love that he loves what he does,” Jennifer said. “He coaches and I take care of anything else.”

His organization is paramount, and his obsession has clearly helped further his career.

• Upvote 1

Yea, so, none of this is healthy behavior... but if he wins, whatever. If there's any profession where a complete on-spectrum savant can thrive, it's as a football coach, because of the ridiculous layers of analytics, pattern recognition, logic puzzles, and round-the-clock demand.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, so, none of this is healthy behavior... but if he wins, whatever. If there's any profession where a complete on-spectrum savant can thrive, it's as a football coach, because of the ridiculous layers of analytics, pattern recognition, logic puzzles, and round-the-clock demand.

It is precisely the kind of dick move that Belichick would be praised for doing.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

C-sections are gross. 

I watched. Twice. Not pretty. 

You’re a better man then me.

The doctors realized my daughter was breached? (The umbilical cord was around her throat) so they asked me too step aside for a moment to assist my ex with the delivery. Whatever they did next, she let out a blood curdling stream. The doctor and nurse looked over at me, and I must have looked like I was going to throw up, so they told me “ maybe it would be better if you leave”. I was out of there in a second, lol.

She ended up getting a c section, and I was in the waiting room when they brought out my child wrapped in a blanket, all cleaned up,smelling like baby powder. Just the way I wanted to see her. ?

I was never the guy who wanted to “go to Lamaze and be a part of it.” Old school or Neanderthal, depending on which side of the fence you’re on I guess.