Game Observations (ATL)

KRL

I still think this team is one more offseason away from being really good.  Adding some better athletes at WR and CB will make this team a legit playoff contender.   Thankfully next years draft should line up nicely for Joe Douglas and he can upgrade those positions in the offseason.   Enunwa is ok, he’s just not a difference maker and has questionable hands IMO.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Brady's a catcher said:

You also don't wanna run Bell into the ground, especially if this team has a shot at the playoffs in November. Nice to have Ty and Bilal to take a few caries and let Bell get a breather here and there.

My thoughts too.

You don't pay that much for a RB to just run him into the ground, rendering him less than effective late in the year.

Gotta have rotation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Quinnen Williams had no "stats" but he was an under the radar factor in
pressuring Ryan.  He was able to draw a holding penalty on one penetration.
And forced Ryan into a hurried throw when he disposed of an OLineman

Just change the Quinnen to Leo, and it’s exactly the same thing, there was no need for 2 of these guys.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Wesco showed nice hands on the TD called back by penalty- encouraging

Was gonna say the same thing. Glad to see him involved. A smarter pick by the other TE and that would've counted. 

25 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Cannon is a terrible runner. not bad as KR and a good gunner. Is that enough to make the roster

Powell should make the team over McGuire in my opinion.

Cannon is a bad RB who's a decent kick returner and very good gunner. McGuire is just a bad RB. I'd also keep Powell over McGuire, but I think Cannon sticks for his special teams ability. Powell could be on shaky ground, though, as he's probably in competition with other teams' cuts, too. Dortch looks like he's nailed down a roster spot to return punts, too. 

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

McGuire and Cannon don't inspire me to think they deserve to be here. Point blank.

Cannon has a good chance to make it entirely for his special teams contributions.  McGuire is just a slower Cannon with no other value, he's definitely a goner.

With Bell, Montgomery, and Powell all ahead of them, neither of these guys will be getting real touches on offense in the regular season anyway, unless things take a very dark turn.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Cannon has a good chance to make it entirely for his special teams contributions.  McGuire is just a slower Cannon with no other value, he's definitely a goner.

With Bell, Montgomery, and Powell all ahead of them, neither of these guys will be getting real touches on offense in the regular season anyway, unless things take a very dark turn.

If you HAD to play one of them at RB, McGuire is the better back.   Cannon, for a guy who is supposedly fast, has the change of direction ability and the elusiveness of a snail.   Plus, he’s doesn’t really posses a quick first step and takes several strides to get up to speed.   If Bellamy or Thompson can be adequate at gunner, I think you cut Cannon.   

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

My biggest beef with Cannon is that he never breaks/avoids tackles. He seems to be quite easy to bring down.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I still think this team is one more offseason away from being really good.  Adding some better athletes at WR and CB will make this team a legit playoff contender.   Thankfully next years draft should line up nicely for Joe Douglas and he can upgrade those positions in the offseason.   Enunwa is ok, he’s just not a difference maker and has questionable hands IMO.  

agreed on the depth issue and enunwa.  i think one of the takeaways from the offense this year will be that he is the replaceable part.  assuming herndon returns and picks up where he left off, you should be able to replace enunwa with a cheaper option.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

agreed on the depth issue and enunwa.  i think one of the takeaways from the offense this year will be that he is the replaceable part.  assuming herndon returns and picks up where he left off, you should be able to replace enunwa with a cheaper option.

I think you replace Enunwa with a highly drafted rookie next year.  You also are going to need to pay Anderson if he has a good year.   There will be some legit WR prospects staring Joe Douglas in face in next years draft.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think you replace Enunwa with a highly drafted rookie next year.  You also are going to need to pay Anderson if he has a good year.   There will be some legit WR prospects staring Joe Douglas in face in next years draft.   

i also think enunwa will be hurt again this year which will necessitate drafting more wrs anyway.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Ty Montgomery looks amazing, starter material. Smart explosive player. I think we see him A LOT more than expected. He’ll be on the field with bell which will be exciting- think he hurts bells fantasy value ftr

lol slow down we are talking about  preseason -typical jets fans overhyping players -what makes him smart? he was so smart in greenbay that they sent him packing for a future 7th round pick because he made a really really stupid play that was so bad they wanted him off the team right away-

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Now if the Jets trade Leo for an upgrade at CB, true #1 WR, or an edge rusher that can get to the QB then I’ll stop bitching about the pick.

this would be ideal

... i'll accept a trade for a pick before trade deadline if necessary as well

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A fully developed Luke Falk is an A+ backup and our best chance at reaping a Schaub/Cassel caliber trade-haul in a couple years if we sign him to a reasonable 3-4 million a year back up contract. 

we have him locked up through 2021 @ 570k, 660k, 750k 

https://overthecap.com/player/luke-falk/7084/

i'd go with keeping 3 qb's on the roster at least through next years training camp

After missing two PAT, maybe Bertolet will retire this week like Cantazarro did.

The number 1 defense did pitch a shutout, but only because two receivers literally dropped passes right in their hands.  The only thing Ryan could have done any better was walk the ball to them and hand it off.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Really? How do you double team both at the same time ?

exactly,

big cat spent last season dble teamed as was Williams vs giants. We all bashed big cat last year but praised Williams just for being dble teamed last week. Put them both on the field at the same time and you will see a very dangerous dline that blows plays up

26 minutes ago, kmnj said:

lol slow down we are talking about  preseason -typical jets fans overhyping players -what makes him smart? he was so smart in greenbay that they sent him packing for a future 7th round pick because he made a really really stupid play that was so bad they wanted him off the team right away-

How bout a degree from Stanford ? plus he probably does a millisecond of research before calling someone in the Internet a tired trope sojf.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/2019-one-jets-drive-horsepower-ep-4

watch E4 of one jets drive, they do a sig bio on him and discuss that one terrible play in GB.  Annndd his intelligence is hard to miss if you listen to him speak for one sentence

The most encouraging part of yesterday, is how deep this team is.  OL, RB, WR - all solid to great depth.  When Herndon comes back, even TE is nice.  DT, ILB, S - deep.  OLB is actually more encouraging than expected.  While nobody wow's you, there are a few guys who are showing some potential, even with Polite not showing anything encouraging.  The only really thin position on the team is CB.  

1 good offseason, this team could be legit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

The most encouraging part of yesterday, is how deep this team is.  OL, RB, WR - all solid to great depth.  When Herndon comes back, even TE is nice.  DT, ILB, S - deep.  OLB is actually more encouraging than expected.  While nobody wow's you, there are a few guys who are showing some potential, even with Polite not showing anything encouraging.  The only really thin position on the team is CB.  

1 good offseason, this team could be legit.

while there are a few glaring positions of need, there don't seem to be that many anymore.  and ironically OL could be in good shape if edoga is the real deal.

Bit of a good news - bad news observation from Cimini.  Obviously good to see that Darnold was able to fit balls into tight windows, but would be nice to see our receivers get some separation to make things a bit easier on him:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Bit of a good news - bad news observation from Cimini.  Obviously good to see that Darnold was able to fit balls into tight windows, but would be nice to see our receivers get some separation to make things a bit easier on him:

yes, but this is not Geno Smith throwing the ball!!  and we know Anderson can get separation...

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You have one of them on your favorite team! Good luck defending your title,?

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Agree on polite, it just looked like the passion wasn't there. And I hate to say that about any player.

This and I purposefully watched him dogging it all night and getting pushed around by 4th stringers late in the 4th. Really sad.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Atlanta, playing it's 3rd pre-season game Jets 2nd. I think we are still keeping route trees basic while Atlanta has been implementing more of their defensive packages having more reps. 

• Sympathy 1