Game Observations (ATL)

KRL

Leveon Bell is a zero sum game. You don’t spend that kind of cash on that kind of player and have him split time with Ty Montgomery.

It is nice to have the depth tho and just goes to show how idiotic Maccagnan was. If Bell explodes that last part of the last sentence is backwards.

• WTF? 1

The Jets are going to finally have an offense that YOU DONT WANT TO GIVE THE BALL BACK TO!!! 

You guys know the feeling. Opposing team jumps to a 10-0 lead, offense stalls again deep on their own side of the field, bad punt, opposing team is starting their drive near the 50. 

We're finally gonna be THAT OPPOSING TEAM. 

We have a lot of weapons. Outside of Bell who we haven't even seen, we have a very good group of players. Not superstars but ABOVE AVERAGE. A healthy Quincy is a tough WR, Crowder is way better than I expected, Herndon (when he returns) will prove to be the best draft pick Macc had ever made (best TE in the AFC East), Robbie will be a tough cover now that he won't get underneath coverage & Montgomery (like I said), is on a freaking mission after getting cut by McCarthy & warmed the bench in Baltimore. Just think about this, TY filled in admirably in Greenbay as a Swiss Army knife but was run WAY TO MUCH between the tackles but we don't need TY to do everything because unlike Greenbay we have f*cking Le'veon Bell! 

Robbie Anderson can barely speak English but he knows he's about to become a very rich man. And the guy that will be responsible is Sam Darnold. When have we seen a back shoulder throw as good as that? A slant in traffic? To Robbie? WTF! 

Health is everything for this team, but this starting offense (HEALTHY), can compete with anyone. The Oline knows they just need to keep Sam clean & great things will happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Defenses will have a very tough time covering Bell, Herndon, Crowder, Enunwa and Anderson on the same play.  Mix in Ty Montgomery and it gets even more dicey.  At least two of those guys are going to end up being covered by suboptimal Safeties or LBs.  Tons of optionality in this offense.

yep.  they don't seem to need a number one receiver at this point.

26 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unfortunately I can’t watch the air till it airs later on NFLN but I seen the first drive and Ty looked good. 

How did QW look? I read how Polite looked, like a wasted draft pick. 

Qx2 looked like a monster at times.

Once he settles into NFL conditioning/training he will be a rabid angry monster

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I agree with your assessment of Davis Webb. Are they keeping him around as trade-bait for what why bother? He flat-out stinks.

He's gonna play at least three quarters of the last preseason game and then be cut. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Good points. I was also encouraged by what Quinnen showed in flashes last night, rushing from multiple positions and physically dominating the OL in front of him on a couple of occasions. It was also fun to watch Gregg Williams move guys around and run those weird blitzes. The Falcons clearly had no idea how to block any of them, and Matt Ryan was curling up in a ball at the snap.

It was also good to see Williams give a lot of run to the young CBs. As stated earlier in the thread, Tevaughn Campbell looks like he can play a little bit. I don’t think we can count on Trumaine from a health standpoint at all this season, so having a #4 or 5 corner with some athletic potential is going to be significant. You’d expect a lot of turnover with the DBs as other teams make cuts, but Campbell is a keeper.

Also liked what I saw from Alex Lewis and Chuma Edoga, even though Edoga got cooked up by Beasley on that one play. Lewis and Compton were beating the sh*t out of people on the interior on some of those Montgomery cutbacks.

On the negative side, there’s just no depth on the roster other than at OL, and maybe with Campbell at CB and Burnett at WR. This is what should give you pause when you start to think this Jets team is a playoff contender—they’re a few (fairly predictable) injuries away from being a high lottery team. 

The most glaring negative, though, was how sluggish and soft Polite looked. He was outplayed by literally every other LB on the roster and, right now, he doesn’t deserve a job, which is why he’s buried on the depth chart. 

I think you have to add LB as a position where we have really good depth

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vader said:

Leveon Bell is a zero sum game. You don’t spend that kind of cash on that kind of player and have him split time with Ty Montgomery.

Remember the Levy/Kelly Bills and the run and shoot offense?  The K-Gun?  Imagine that with two Thurman Thomases.  

When you have 3 WR’s, 1 TE, and 2 RB’s who can catch the ball and break tackles under the command of a HC Peyton Manning calls “a genius” and a pocket QB who is at his best moving a little and doing improv, gulp.

Holy sh-t.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

A couple of other things:

- Shabby TE blocking by Ryan Griffin and Daniel Brown.  You have to do more
than "get in the way" on your assignments.  If they want extra reps when 
Herndon is out they have to do better

- Trenton Cannon may make the team because of his special teams ability.  But
his instincts as an RB are bad, particularly when he's asked to run up the
middle

- Jordan Jenkins had a good game as he compressed the pocket and made
Ryan uncomfortable

- Quinnen Williams had no "stats" but he was an under the radar factor in
pressuring Ryan.  He was able to draw a holding penalty on one penetration.
And forced Ryan into a hurried throw when he disposed of an OLineman

- James Burgess deserves a mention along with Hewitt and Wint because he
also had a strong game.  He showed good coverage skills 20+ yards down the
field on a wheel route and ended the game with a "pick 6"

- People may focus on the sack he gave up but Chuma Edoga was solid in an
unexpected start.  As a rookie he was able to hold up in pass protection
against Beasley and pushed him around in the run game

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

As
stated last week a no huddle offense fits perfectly with Sam
Darnold's ability to improvise

It's really one of those no brainer things that you see as a fan and wonder why coaches arent doing it 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

- People may focus on the sack he gave up but Chuma Edoga was solid in an

unexpected start.  As a rookie he was able to hold up in pass protection
against Beasley and pushed him around in the run game

This was huge for me, I was really impressed with Edoga. I'm not as concerned about the sack, you'd kind of expect a 3rd round rookie to get beat by a highly drafted veteran pass rusher.

Overall I was really happy with Edoga and Montgomery. This offense is going to be really fun to watch this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

-I’m in love with this offense and the marriage between Gase and Darnold will be a thing of beauty. 

The OL hasn’t been perfect as Darnold has had to escape some pressure but give him a pocket and he’ll become one of the best IMO. 

- I wouldn’t play Montgomery anymore this preseason. Let McGuire, Powell and Valentine run it out. I’m over Cannon. He’s just not a good runner.

-Id keep Burnett and Dortch as the 5 and 6th WRs. 

- I can’t believe the offense has run so smoothly and we still have Bell to fit into it. It’s a great place to be. Gase is gonna have a ton of fun. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Remember the Levy/Kelly Bills and the run and shoot offense?  The K-Gun?  Imagine that with two Thurman Thomases.  

When you have 3 WR’s, 1 TE, and 2 RB’s who can catch the ball and break tackles under the command of a HC Peyton Manning calls “a genius” and a pocket QB who is at his best moving a little and doing improv, gulp.

Holy sh-t.

SAR I

This exactly. I  believe Gase is going to run this uptempo offense and it has the same principles as the K-Gun with added dimensions, which I hated playing the Bills knowing Reed, Thomas and Lofton were going to carve up the Jets all game long. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Holy sh-t.

SAR I

While the point you're making is understood, that personnel package you mentioned has 12 men on the field. That said, I'm all about a 21 personnel package where we have Bell and Ty on the field with one TE along side of Crowder and Anderson/Quincy.  I'm really hoping there is a snap count with Enunwa this year to better optimize the potential for him to last the whole season. We need to be smart with some of these injury prone guys and we have the personnel to do it. 

Having two RB's like Bell and Montgomery (Powell is also extremely similar and played very well last night) who can do almost anything asked can really keep defenses having to think more than they'd like. That slows the defense down significantly. Not being tipped off of a run or pass play simply by the personnel package can have incredible benefit to our offense all by itself. Add to that the up tempo style of offense we have been running and this could be something we've never been fortunate enough to witness on the Jets. (Holy sh-t as you stated)   I'm hoping the no huddle offense sticks around for the regular season. A fast paced, dynamic offense where the defense can't sub effectively to counter the fact that we don't even need to change our personnel packages for running or passing plays can pay off big time. 

• Upvote 4

Edoga looked real good for a rookie. Not overmatched, he is going to be a starter for us by next yr I think,

Wesco showed nice hands on the TD called back by penalty- encouraging

Webb is awful and will be cut. Falk is decent. Will they carry 3QBs this year? Simien has starting exp so I think that gives him the edge over Falk

Burnett flashed a bit, he has good shot to make roster. Dortch is ahead of him due to PR ability

Polite is disappointing, no explosiveness. Even vs backups. 

Kaufusi looks good, he might make the team. 

Basham showed more than polite 

Cannon is a terrible runner. not bad as KR and a good gunner. Is that enough to make the roster

Powell should make the team over McGuire in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Edoga looked real good for a rookie. Not overmatched, he is going to be a starter for us by next yr I think,

Wesco showed nice hands on the TD called back by penalty- encouraging

Webb is awful and will be cut. Falk is decent. Will they carry 3QBs this year? Simien has starting exp so I think that gives him the edge over Falk

Burnett flashed a bit, he has good shot to make roster. Dortch is ahead of him due to PR ability

Polite is disappointing, no explosiveness. Even vs backups. 

Kaufusi looks good, he might make the team. 

Basham showed more than polite 

Cannon is a terrible runner. not bad as KR and a good gunner. Is that enough to make the roster

Powell should make the team over McGuire in my opinion.

i agree with all of this.  i think burnett and dortch make the team.  cannon may make it, but he's not long for the team b/c they'll find another rb next offseason who has more wiggle.  he's fast but not elusive.  

the best surprise of camp this year is edoga.  he seems ready to start at RT already.  if he and wesco pan out along with Q this draft class is a huge success regardless of what polite does.

mcguire stinks.  i'd rather have powell, who can still find running lanes and is better in pass blocking.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Vader said:

It is nice to have the depth tho and just goes to show how idiotic Maccagnan was. If Bell explodes that last part of the last sentence is backwards.

You also don't wanna run Bell into the ground, especially if this team has a shot at the playoffs in November. Nice to have Ty and Bilal to take a few caries and let Bell get a breather here and there.

• Upvote 1