Pete Schrager Clowney Trade Scenario- Speculation

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why is that?  They have a guy who they simply don't want to pay. He's going to do nothing for them. I would say getting a starting RT and solid reserve RB is significantly better than having a guy who isn't playing for them. 

I'm thinking they might , just possibly, keep their fingers crossed and hope for a better offer from some other team maybe? Just because...?

We can't afford to trade away offensive linemen nor would Joe Douglas do that. He is trying to improve the O-line- not further deplete it. If there is a trade for Clowney (which I personally doubt will happen), it will be be someone from another position.

Based on what I heard on NFL Network, Clowney is only eligible to sign
his franchise tender.  He went past the date to sign a long term deal,
so if you're thinking about trading for Clowney you have no control
past this year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Wait. Why so much? The Jets are 11+ under cap. Hairston’s contract is immaterial. Shell gives us 2 mil. We would need to make room to have some money for emergencies. But that shouldn’t stop us from making this trade. Resign Osemele to lessen his cap hit this year. Cut McLendon. 

His tag will be $16 million. Teams typically save $10 million going into the season for signing street free agents or trades to deal with injuries. 

Hairston makes 700k so he will be in the top 51. don’t know why his contract doesn’t count lol  

McLendon is really underrated around here. He was captain and does a lot of dirty work and is a leader on the defense. 

Clowney has been better overall but last year he had 1 more sack than Jenkins 

if it’s that easy show your math 

get the Jets $26 million under the cap without actually weakening the roster 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, KRL said:

past this year

That also lowers his trade value. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

That trade wouldn’t work in Madden. A below average RT and a 30 something 3rd string rb? For Clowney? Give me a break, keep dreaming 

I’m not dreaming. I’m talking shop. Truth is I really don’t want the jets to go for him unless it’s with the stark consideration that he’s not going to play for the Texans way out front in the negotiations. Something like a 4th. I’m not even in love with the projected trade we’re discussing. And that’s from the jets POV.

From the Texans POV it makes perfect sense. A starting, albeit average RT plus a competent reserve RB for pennies to replace an oft injured and crazy expensive malcontent who hasn’t lived up to his 1st overall pick who they can’t get in the clubhouse.

Open your mind brother.

Last year would you have believed you could call the raiders and grab a 3x probowl G and a sixth rd pick all for a 5th? That would have been hard to imagine too. And there are tons of examples of this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

His tag will be $16 million. Teams typically save $10 million going into the season for signing street free agents or trades to deal with injuries. 

Hairston makes 700k so he will be in the top 51. don’t know why his contract doesn’t count lol  

McLendon is really underrated around here. He was captain and does a lot of dirty work and is a leader on the defense. 

Clowney has been better overall but last year he had 1 more sack than Jenkins 

if it’s that easy show your math 

get the Jets $26 million under the cap without actually weakening the roster 

Hairston's contract has minimal impact because his 700k get's offset by the 51 guy who is likely around 500K. Add a guy, drop a guy. 

$10 Mil is a target. But why can't we go in with say $5 mil? 

I'm not saying it's easy, but I think it's doable. 

Over The Cap has us at $14.5M under the cap. Clowney brings that down to -1.5. Trading Shell and Powell gets us 1.5 of savings. So, we are at zero. Now the tough decisions. I'm not a cap master; so this is a rough attempt. I would extend Osemele. I believe in the guy. I would sign him to a 4 year deal where that $10M cap hit he has at the moment comes down to say $7M. That's $3M. I would do the same with Leonard Williams. Sign him now take that current cap hit of $14M to like $11M or so. Where at $6M. That's all a got. I don't know if anyone would hire me as a GM. 

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

People are snickering at the notion, but what do you think the Texans are going to get for a 1 potential 1 year rental?  It might be slightly better than that, but probably not a lot.

Not as much as people on here think. You're paying franchise tag money (expensive), with no way to guarantee that he'll be on your roster beyond this season. That hurts his value significantly.

• Sympathy 1

For this even to be feasible, it would have to be Powell, Shell and a draft pick for Clowney. Love me some Powell, and losing a starting RT is never confidence-building, but Houston would actually get two upgrades. Seantrel Henderson is hot garbage, and the Texans got nooothing after Duke Johnson, it may just work!

And then boom, Valentine Holmes makes the roster, blows up, everyone's happy. 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Hairston's contract has minimal impact because his 700k get's offset by the 51 guy who is likely around 500K. Add a guy, drop a guy. 

$10 Mil is a target. But why can't we go in with say $5 mil? 

I'm not saying it's easy, but I think it's doable. 

Over The Cap has us at $14.5M under the cap. Clowney brings that down to -1.5. Trading Shell and Powell gets us 1.5 of savings. So, we are at zero. Now the tough decisions. I'm not a cap master; so this is a rough attempt. I would extend Osemele. I believe in the guy. I would sign him to a 4 year deal where that $10M cap hit he has at the moment comes down to say $7M. That's $3M. I would do the same with Leonard Williams. Sign him now take that current cap hit of $14M to like $11M or so. Where at $6M. That's all a got. I don't know if anyone would hire me as a GM. 

Kudos for the effort!   I’m way too lazy for that ?

It’s not that far off I guess  

I wouldn’t be against it, I guess I just don’t like the fact that the Jets would have to go through all of that for potentially 1 year 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m not dreaming. I’m talking shop. Truth is I really don’t want the jets to go for him unless it’s with the stark consideration that he’s not going to play for the Texans way out front in the negotiations. Something like a 4th. I’m not even in love with the projected trade we’re discussing. And that’s from the jets POV.

From the Texans POV it makes perfect sense. A starting, albeit average RT plus a competent reserve RB for pennies to replace an oft injured and crazy expensive malcontent who hasn’t lived up to his 1st overall pick who they can’t get in the clubhouse.

Open your mind brother.

Last year would you have believed you could call the raiders and grab a 3x probowl G and a sixth rd pick all for a 5th? That would have been hard to imagine too. And there are tons of examples of this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My mind is open. This trade as proposed has 0% chance to happen. You want to trade for him, start with a second round pick at minimum. Probably would take multiple picks or pick + players. 

If Clowney hadnt been the #1 overall pick/phenom prospect, does he warrant a 1st rd pick? Combined with being unable to sign him long term right away AND never becoming the game changer he was supposed to be, the answer is no. 

No way the texans get a 1st rder for him.

A 2nd rd pick if they are lucky. More like a 3 and a 5th.

The team that gets him may get a steal. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Larz said:

Kudos for the effort!   I’m way too lazy for that ?

It’s not that far off I guess  

I wouldn’t be against it, I guess I just don’t like the fact that the Jets would have to go through all of that for potentially 1 year 

Yea. As I went through it, i realized it’s not easy. Likely not doable unless we trade Winters instead of Shell. The only possible way with those low contracts is if we extend guys. I don’t know how feasible that is.

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I saw a vid today where Pete Schrager and the MMQB crew talked about a potential and realistic trade scenario for David Clowney.  They came up with the Jets sending the Texans Brandon Shell and Bilal Powell. It would address two of the Texans needs and on the cheap side. I really considered how I'd feel about that trade with leaving Chuma Edoga as the starting RT. I go back and forth. Especially considering Powell who I happen to like a lot.  That would remove the big RB question of who to keep around and Mcguire would dogge a bullet imo. 

What do you guys think about this one?  Would ya pull the trigger? Do you think its realistic? 

That would be one of all time worst trades ever from the Texans POV.

A so so T and a RB who theres a big chance doesnt make the Jets if they pick up any of the Eagle cuts or any other live body.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why is that?  They have a guy who they simply don't want to pay. He's going to do nothing for them. I would say getting a starting RT and solid reserve RB is significantly better than having a guy who isn't playing for them. 

Along those lines, maybe we can trade Powell & Shell for Zeke.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

past this year

That, in and of itself, almost entirely eliminates any interest I had. 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:48 PM, Jet Blast said:

We can't afford to trade away offensive linemen nor would Joe Douglas do that. He is trying to improve the O-line- not further deplete it. If there is a trade for Clowney (which I personally doubt will happen), it will be be someone from another position.

Jets don’t need to trade any OL for Clowney

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Barton said:

If Clowney hadnt been the #1 overall pick/phenom prospect, does he warrant a 1st rd pick? Combined with being unable to sign him long term right away AND never becoming the game changer he was supposed to be, the answer is no. 

No way the texans get a 1st rder for him.

A 2nd rd pick if they are lucky. More like a 3 and a 5th.

The team that gets him may get a steal. 

He’s had 9 or more sacks the past two seasons and has been better than his stats.  

You guys blow Melvin Ingram dry the guy had like a combined 4 sacks his first three years in the nfl.  Sometimes edge rushers need time to develop

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

He’s had 9 or more sacks the past two seasons and has been better than his stats.  

You guys blow Melvin Ingram dry the guy had like a combined 4 sacks his first three years in the nfl.  Sometimes edge rushers need time to develop

You also cannot sign him long term right now. That drives down his value.

• Upvote 1

Clowney’s current contract situation is too suspect. Whoever trades for him this year can’t negotiate a long term deal until next season. You would have to give up draft capital, and Clowney would have to sign his franchise tag after agreeing to being traded, which makes him a 16 million dollar one year rental. Then convince him next year to stay, and probably pay him even more than 16+ per on his new deal  

I wasn’t aware of how horrible his contract mess was until hearing Pete Schrager call the game tonight and talk about it  

https://nypost.com/2019/08/29/jadeveon-clowney-isnt-the-answer-to-jets-edge-rush-woes/

The Jets have $14.7 million in salary-cap space, according to overthecap.com, so if they were to acquire Clowney it would require sending salary back to Houston or finding another way to clear some cap space. It is not difficult to create cap space, but acquiring Clowney would leave the Jets with very little wiggle room this season to sign players if they need to fill a hole in case of an injury.

There is also a question of how much Clowney is worth. He has not lived up to the hype that surrounded him when he was the No. 1 overall pick in 2014. He has 29 sacks in five seasons. The most he has had in a single season is 9.5 in 2017.

There are questions about his work ethic and he had injury issues earlier in his career. This is not the same as when the Raiders traded Khalil Mack last year. Clowney is not nearly as dominant.

Miami has a better chance of getting Clowney than the Jets!!! The Jets can't afford signing him for one year and he won't come down on his asking price. 

• Thumb Down 1

45 minutes ago, Barton said:

You also cannot sign him long term right now. That drives down his value.

I don’t understand how jets fans manufacture excuses time after time to NOT go after Edge Rushers:

Mack?  Price too high plus needs a contract

Josh Allen?  He has no moves!  He just runs around the OT

Clowney? See Mack 

And then our pass defense gets blown up year after year

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Someone please tell me how does clowney help us beat the patriots?  I will answer it for you.  He doesnt.  Brady gets rid of the ball immediately.  The pass rush doesnt matter.

Protect darnold, build the offense and plug, play and scheme guys to get to the qb.

Pass rush is how you beat the patriots just ask the Giants 

• Upvote 1

Remember when the pats had chandler jones who got to the qb?  Oh yeah, they traded him away.

Do you remember flowers from last who who got to the qb?  Oh yeah, they let him walk.

You think the pats would ever go after clowney?  Hahahahaha.  Not a chance in hell.

I get it, bellichek gets it.  Now its time for jet fans to get it.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Remember when the pats had chandler jones who got to the qb?  Oh yeah, they traded him away.

Do you remember flowers from last who who got to the qb?  Oh yeah, they let him walk.

You think the pats would ever go after clowney?  Hahahahaha.  Not a chance in hell.

Having the GOAT Qb helps

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If there’s an “it” to get, let’s hope our GM gets it (rather than Jet fans). 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t understand how jets fans manufacture excuses time after time to NOT go after Edge Rushers:

Mack?  Price too high plus needs a contract

Josh Allen?  He has no moves!  He just runs around the OT

Clowney? See Mack 

And then our pass defense gets blown up year after year

If we get an edge than that’ll eliminate the opportunity to complain about not having Edge.