Who Would You Have Drafted At 68?

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Chase Winovich and there really isnt much debate.

The frustrating thing isnt just that Polite now is gone while Winovich looks great, but there was ZERO consistency to what Mac was doing in the 3rd round.

2017 he takes an athletically limited player with good football character in Adarius Stewart.

2018 he takes a small school prospect, who is older in Nathan Shepphard, who also may not make it more then 1 season.

Then in 2019, when he needed an OLB he takes a player with no football character over a guy in Winovich with a high motor and football character.

Why not stick with some sort of model?  

The answer is that Mac consistently tried to prove he could find players that others couldn't, rather then take the player with the best chance of being a productive NFL player. Trying to prove your smarter then other people is what leads to you seeing traits that aren't there, and making mistakes.  

Agreed. I wanted Winovich. High motor, high character player from a major program at a position of need.

McGovern was in the running for me too

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The frustrating thing isnt just that Polite now is gone while Winovich looks great, but there was ZERO consistency to what Mac was doing in the 3rd round.

2017 he takes an athletically limited player with good football character in Adarius Stewart.

2018 he takes a small school prospect, who is older in Nathan Shepphard, who also may not make it more then 1 season.

Then in 2019, when he needed an OLB he takes a player with no football character over a guy in Winovich with a high motor and football character.

The answer is that Mac consistently tried to prove he could find players that others couldn't, rather then take the player with the best chance of being a productive NFL player. Trying to prove your smarter then other people is what leads to you seeing traits that aren't there, and making mistakes.  

A lot of posters were screaming his name in the draft thread. I wanted them to go OL, I don’t think anyone wanted Polite. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

A lot of posters were screaming his name in the draft thread. I wanted them to go OL, I don’t think anyone wanted Polite. 

Although I wanted Winovich, I was fine with the Polite pick.  A lot of times the pre-draft process can go poorly for guys who still wind up being good players.  I felt the risk-reward of getting a legit edge rusher at 68 was worth it.

If he proved to be lazy or not care enough about football fine, then we dont want him here.  But if GW just chose him as his whipping boy, and we got rid of a good player without trying to develop him then that is a really poor move by the entire FO staff.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BCJet said:

Although I wanted Winovich, I was fine with the Polite pick.  A lot of times the pre-draft process can go poorly for guys who still wind up being good players.  I felt the risk-reward of getting a legit edge rusher at 68 was worth it.

If he proved to be lazy or not care enough about football fine, then we dont want him here.  But if GW just chose him as his whipping boy, and we got rid of a good player without trying to develop him then that is a really poor move by the entire FO staff.  

I’m trying to find the draft thread to see the reactions after he was picked. 

Hmm. I remember really wanting to go WR in round 3. Thought the draft was deep in guys who could be solid #2 guys. So maybe I would have drafted Boykin who I liked. But I also liked Cajuste. So one of those two guys. Probably Boykin though.

Outside of the first round, I don’t really pound the table for someone though.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Thanks. There’s a surprising number of posters that loved the pick. 

I posted

JIF doesn’t even want this kid. 

Two D players with needs on offense. 

but I was all for an offensive draft. 

Conor McGovern - Center, Penn State

Save 8.4 million on Kalil

Connor mocgovern was who I was targeting there. When he was on the board I thought it was a given that he would be the pick. When polite was announced I damn near puked.

Others: Hakeem butler
Michael deiter
Jace sternberger
Chase winovich
Hustle frohodt (reach)

So many others would have been great picks there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We call that doing the Schotty(Brian)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously Polite was an awful pick and almost everyone on the board thought it was stupid right after he was picked but who would you have picked? A OL, RB, WR, TE, OLB?

I would of went with OC/OG - Michael Deiter. 

Actually  almost nobody thought it was a stupid, as a matter  of fact, many thought it was a great pick. Check the thread after he was selected. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I wish someone who do an analysis comparing Macc’s picks to what we would’ve had simply taking to top available guy on Mel Kiper’s board.