Dortch waived

CTJetsFan

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Dortch was waived because he simply didn't show enough on offense (you guys don't get it but it is absolutely the truth when you have a 53 man roster) to present himself as an indispensable cog for the offense. Special teams players MUST be able to present value on BOTH ST and offense or defense. That's a fact that you just haven't wrapped your arms around yet.

But simple deduction will tell you that Gase and Douglas believe they'll be more talented by signing a pending cut from another team and Dortch needs extra time on the practice squad. Besides, it's not like we're losing Leon Washington? Dortch has not shown himself to be much better than Trent Cannon.

I agree, if Dortch was otherworldly as a returner even with his limited offensive value he would have made the 53 but he wasn't, he was good... not Great.

5 minutes ago, jetsons said:

As a prospect, no... that's why he went undrafted... as a Pro he has done well except for his limited route tree which hopefully w/Gase as the HC will be expanded... I like him & I look forward to him excelling under Gase's tutelage. 

He had a game against William Jackson where he made Jackson look terrible. I've been a fan of him since that game and it cemented that he should have been drafted regardless of his slight frame. He had a ton of red flags but athleticism wasn't one of them.

Jackson went on too be a first rounder and just got tendered for his fifth year.

10 minutes ago, jetsons said:

As a prospect, no... that's why he went undrafted... as a Pro he has done well except for his limited route tree which hopefully w/Gase as the HC will be expanded... I like him & I look forward to him excelling under Gase's tutelage. 

DP

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That sparkly helmet he's wearing... it doesn't match the green on the rest of his uniform, does it? What's up with that?  ?

T-shirt sticking out, towel crooked, exposed knee skin.  New York wasn't for him.  I would wish him well but I didn't fall for the 50th edition of "root for Player X to make the team" so I don't care about him at all.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

T-shirt sticking out, towel crooked, exposed knee skin.  New York wasn't for him.  I would wish him well but I didn't fall for the 50th edition of "root for Player X to make the team" so I don't care about him at all.

SAR I

I was joking about the helmet, but in all seriousness, I REALLY hate when a player disrespects a uniform. In any sport. It's not that hard to tuck in your shirt or pull up your socks.

Baseball players who wear  their hat tilted sideways annoy the hell out of me. They look like 14 year old gang bangers.

31 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I agree, if Dortch was otherworldly as a returner even with his limited offensive value he would have made the 53 but he wasn't, he was good... not Great.

It's not rocket science and apparently most of the posters on this site has no idea and argued with me about this specific topic in another thread. Hoped they finally learned...... Unless you're a kicker, punter you must show value on ST and offense or defense. Without versatility you mean nothing to an NFL GM.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You’re taking “rooting for the laundry” a tad too far. 

Sounds like Dortch is gone for good. Shame - a fiery little dude, and I was rooting for him.

I do appreciate the need for versatility in backups though. If the Jets didn't think he could do anything except return punts, then I understand why they see Berrios as a potential upgrade.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Sounds like Dortch is gone for good. Shame - a fiery little dude, and I was rooting for him.

I do appreciate the need for versatility in backups though. If the Jets didn't think he could do anything except return punts, then I understand why they see Berrios as a potential upgrade.

This is the heart of the matter like I said.  It’s not even that he wasn’t ready to contribute offensively as a backup but also that they did not think he was able to fill other roles on ST. The only thing he was viewed as being able to contribute on right away was as a punt returner.  Berrios offers more athleticism, more seasoning as an offensive player, and the ability to do more on specials. 

33 minutes ago, ljr said:

Natural PR hands & instincts ... hard to find

Knows when & where to wiggle / waggle / dart or dash

Was excited to see him out there on Sundays

Sad :(

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 foot nothing... And weak pre season stats.... Why are we still talking about this dude?

8rec 49yds 6.1ypc

9ret 85yds 9.4ypr 

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Is Dortch now on waivers for 24 hours before we can sign him to the PS?

Yes, he's on waivers for 24 hours.  It was posted on Twitter (by his agency, I think) that he wouldn't be signing with the Jets' PS and was going to "explore other opportunities".

All due respect to everyone in this thread, VALENTINE HOLMES reminds me much more of Danny Woodhead than Greg Dortch ever has. The Jets got it right. Valentine Holmes, although he needs time to refine his playing skills, has MUCH more of a future in the NFL than Greg Dortch ever will. 

51 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This thread leads me to one conclusion. Jets fans only watch the Jets and have blinded on to the rest of the NFL.

Dortch will go into Jets lore as one of those favorites who we'll never know how truly great/horrible he would have been.  The mystery adds to his legend.  That tip-toe, stop-and-go punt return in preseason will be referred to forever of what he could have been.  So will his fumble and muffed punt.

He's the next David Clowney, Brooks Bollinger, etc.  A guy that a small but vocal group of Jets fans clamored for, but the rest of the NFL may not want.  Put me in the category of wanting Dortch the Torch! ($0.05).

10 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

It's not rocket science and apparently most of the posters on this site has no idea and argued with me about this specific topic in another thread. Hoped they finally learned...... Unless you're a kicker, punter you must show value on ST and offense or defense. Without versatility you mean nothing to an NFL GM.

Nah you tried to say Matthew Slater "had offensive potential" when he caught one pass in 8 years.

There ARE dedicated special teamers. You seem unwilling to concede that point.

22 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Nah you tried to say Matthew Slater "had offensive potential" when he caught one pass in 8 years.

There ARE dedicated special teamers. You seem unwilling to concede that point.

So once again NAME THEM and I'll concede your point. But the fact is, it just doesn't work that way. If players were signed for just one specific role the roster would be about 200 players long. That's ridiculous. You're only allowed 53. 47 on game days. So versatility very much matters in the scheme of managing an NFL football team. Unless you are a literal highlight reel of a ST player like Matt Slater, Leon Washington, Devin Hester, and a few others, you are ALWAYS going to have to show versatility to make the roster. Now, if you're a starting offensive or defensive player you obviously don't have to show versatility then either. But players barely clinging to a roster spot (just like Dortch very clearly was. I don't care if you thought he had a roster spot locked up. That's clearly wrong with Dortch getting cut.) must show an impact in more than just special teams.

11 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So once again NAME THEM and I'll concede your point. But the fact is, it just doesn't work that way. If players were signed for just one specific role the roster would be about 200 players long. That's ridiculous. You're only allowed 53. 47 on game days. So versatility very much matters in the scheme of managing an NFL football team. Unless you are a literal highlight reel of a ST player like Matt Slater, Leon Washington, Devin Hester, and a few others, you are ALWAYS going to have to show versatility to make the roster. Now, if you're a starting offensive or defensive player you obviously don't have to show versatility then either. But players barely clinging to a roster spot (just like Dortch very clearly was. I don't care if you thought he had a roster spot locked up. That's clearly wrong with Dortch getting cut.) must show an impact in more than just special teams.

Matthew Slater. He does nothing but special teams. You're arguing in circles.

Actually, you can even make the case that Charone Peake was solely a special teamer the past few years and his offense was never a consideration.

Fact is, rosters are built a million different ways. But there ARE dedicated special teamers. That's the only point I wanted to make.

16 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Oh damn, forgot Nate Ebner. Pat's actually hold 2 roster spots just for specials.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Dortch will go into Jets lore as one of those favorites who we'll never know how truly great/horrible he would have been.  The mystery adds to his legend.  That tip-toe, stop-and-go punt return in preseason will be referred to forever of what he could have been.  So will his fumble and muffed punt.

He's the next David Clowney, Brooks Bollinger, etc.  A guy that a small but vocal group of Jets fans clamored for, but the rest of the NFL may not want.  Put me in the category of wanting Dortch the Torch! ($0.05).

The Torch has been extinguished...... WTF

4 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Matthew Slater. He does nothing but special teams. You're arguing in circles.

Actually, you can even make the case that Charone Peake was solely a special teamer the past few years and his offense was never a consideration.

Fact is, rosters are built a million different ways. But there ARE dedicated special teamers. That's the only point I wanted to make.

I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you can't understand the idea behind a 53 man roster, then you never will. 

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you can't understand the idea behind a 53 man roster, then you never will. 

Dude, what is your point? In the other thread, you said that WELL THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A DEDICATED SPECIAL TEAMER DERP. 

Many people called you on that fact with direct examples, and it seems like your only recourse is to just say WELL THEY'RE THE EXCEPTION. No my friend, they're the answer to your question of whether or not dedicated special teamers exist. 

Teams all over the NFL dedicate a spot or two to guys who only plays specials. Of course, when you're building a roster, you hope that you can get a guy who's still developing his offensive/defensive game and can contribute in specials to take a spot. But some coaches don't do that and dedicate a spot JUST to specials. It's a question of coaching philosophy and one that has countless examples, and it's ok if you don't agree with it! But don't sit here like an a$$hole and say it doesn't exist. 

Yeesh. 

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

No one is arguing the value of versatility, but if Player A’s total sum of versatility is less than Player B’s singular contribution, then Player B should make the team. 

We’re now left to hope that Barrios brings more to the table than Dortch, that’s all. 

21 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Every year a longshot fan fav get cut down to everyones shegrin

this year its dortch.

i cant even remember the others

Historically, the Jets have pretty much never been a team that let quality talent slip through the cracks.  They just never have much talent on the roster to begin with.  

Archived