Hymie Elhai Named new President of the Jets: MERGED

Jetsbb

The New York Jets announced today that Hymie Elhai, the team’s Senior Vice President and General Counsel, has been named President and that Brian Friedman, the team’s Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer has been named Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. Elhai succeeds Neil Glat who, as announced this past Friday by the team, is transitioning to a new role as Senior Advisor.

Currently entering his 20th year with the Jets, Elhai will report to Chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson and oversee all team business operations. Elhai will also work with Head Coach Adam Gase and General Manager Joe Douglas to integrate football and business operations.

“For over 20 years Hymie has developed a deep level of respect from both sides of the building,” said Mr. Johnson. “Over that time, he has grown to be an invaluable and trusted confidant for many, including, in recent years, myself.  Specifically, I witnessed first-hand, his leadership, communication and organizational acumen during our recent head coach and general manager searches. I expect Hymie to be a key unifier, working alongside Adam and Joe, for our organization moving forward.”

“I am honored to be given this opportunity and thankful to The Johnson Family for entrusting me with the responsibility and all that comes along with it,” said Elhai. “I have a deep appreciation and respect for this franchise, what it means to our fans, the communities we serve, as well as our business partners.”

Elhai began his professional career as an intern with the Jets and was hired full-time in 2002 as the manager of legal affairs and business development. He recently completed his fifth season as senior vice president, business affairs and general counsel where he was responsible for all legal aspects of the team, including sponsorship, licensing, event, digital media, production and broadcasting agreements, and all employment related matters. For the past couple of seasons, Elhai has also provided counsel and guidance to football administration on all planning initiatives.  In 2016, Elhai was a Sports Business Journal Forty Under 40 honoree.

Friedman, who is entering his 11th season with the team, will now take on more operational responsibilities, including revenue generating and business growth opportunities for the team and MetLife Stadium. He will continue to oversee finances for the organization. Prior to joining the Jets, Friedman was the Chief Financial Officer for Bliss. Prior to joining Bliss, he was senior director of finance for the Columbia House Company and held finance roles at Polo Ralph Lauren.

Jets name new team president, as they replace Neil Glat: Who is Hymie Elhai?

Updated 10:52 AM; Today 10:43 AM

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets have a new team president — Hymie Elhai. 

The organization announced his promotion Tuesday. Neil Glat recently resigned as the Jets’ president. 

The role has typically involved little to no say over football operations. It is an important position, to be sure, but it primarily involves the business side of the Jets. 

Elhai, though, has been an influential figure with the Jets for years. Most recently, he assisted acting owner Christopher Johnson with the hiring of head coach Adam Gase, this past offseason. Johnson also hired a new general manager this offseason, Joe Douglas. 

Elhai had been the Jets’ senior vice president/general counsel. He is entering his 20th season with the Jets. The Jets on Tuesday also promoted Brian Friedman from senior vice president/chief financial officer to executive vice president/chief operation officer. 

Glat announced Friday he was transitioning into a senior advisor role. 

In the Jets’ announcement about Elhai’s promotion, they noted he will work with Gase and Douglas “to integrate football and business operations,” in addition to overseeing all of the Jets’ business operations. 

Elhai started with the Jets as an intern. He was hired full time in 2002, as manager of legal affairs and business development. He recently completed his fifth season as senior vice president for business affairs/general counsel. 

In his previous role, Elhai was responsible for “all legal aspects of the team, including sponsorship, licensing, events, digital media, production and broadcasting agreements, and all employment related matters,” according to the Jets. 

In recent seasons, according to the Jets, he also “provided counsel and guidance to football administration on all planning initiatives.” 

Johnson’s older brother — Woody Johnson, the current United States ambassador to the United Kingdom — bought the Jets in 2000. So Elhai has a long-standing relationship with the Johnsons.

Elhai got there next. “It was October 6, 2002, against the Kansas City Chiefs,” he says, recalling what he expected to be his last game working as an intern for the Jets. “My father was giving me the typical parental thing: ‘I put you through college. I put you through law school. Why are you wasting your time with the Jets?’ ” 

Elhai, who played football and baseball at Johns Hopkins University, went to Rutgers’ law school in Newark, thinking he might become a sports agent. After his first year at law school, a friend connected him with an internship in the Jets event marketing department; the team had no formal legal department at the time. He returned the next summer and also worked on game days, doing whatever anybody needed done. And the very day his father suggested that maybe it was time to get a real job, the Jets offered him one. “They said, ‘When can you start?’ and I said, ‘Tomorrow.’ ”

WILLIAM J. HELLER RC’75, NEW YORK GIANTS and HYMIE ELHAI NLAW’02, NEW YORK JETS

f18_-29243162247_e6b2ca6ef5_o_inline.jpg

WILLIAM J. HELLER RC’75, NEW YORK GIANTS “Was I a Giants fan growing up? Oh, God, yes. Y.A. Tittle was my first hero,” says Heller, who wore 14, the number of the legendary Giants quarterback, when he was himself a quarterback for the Hackensack (New Jersey) High School Comets.

HYMIE ELHAI NLAW’02, NEW YORK JETS  “If I go to the pizza place or the deli in Caldwell, New Jersey, near my parents, everybody knows what I do, and everybody is asking, ‘Oh, what’s going on with the team?’ ”

Photography: 
Aaaron Houston

By 2012 he was the Jets’ general counsel, with an office overlooking the field at the team’s training facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. “If I go to the pizza place or the deli in Caldwell, New Jersey, near my parents, everybody knows what I do, and everybody’s like, ‘Oh, what’s going on with the team?’ ” says  Elhai, a lifelong Jets fan who remembers huddling under blankets in the stands when the team played at Shea Stadium in Flushing Meadow, New York. “Everybody gives you their opinion. Everybody’s a general manager: ‘This guy stinks; why do you have him?’ When we had Phil Simms’s son on the team and we were sort of struggling at that point, everybody wanted Matt Simms to be the starting quarterback, just because of his last name.”

The above is from the Rutgers article on him and other NFL execs going to school there.  I like the fact he's from NJ and a life long Jets fan.  Someone who definitely wants to be there and knows what it's like from a fan perspective.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think you should rethink the part about him actually stepping down lol.

In the corporate world executives "step down" to say they moved on voluntarily and collect a lot of severance. But I don't believe Neil wanted to step down at all.

Yeah ZERO question now that Glat did not see eye to eye with Gase, likely tried to exert some imfuence and was fired.