Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?

Philc1

Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Jets be dumb enough to pay Adams?

• Yes because it’s the Jets
    • No, Douglas will mercifully be fired and Harbaugh will be here

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Should they get rid of Mosley as well? You’re clearly not getting it. 

Mosley already got his big contract, so that's a done deal.  And he at least was causing turnovers yesterday.  

I'm not getting what?  Your inane point that Adams deserves over $14M a year, even though you admitted yourself that the things he does doesn't win games?  Come on.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley already got his big contract, so that's a done deal.  And he at least was causing turnovers yesterday.  

I'm not getting what?  You're inane point that Adams deserves over $14M a year, even though you admitted yourself that the things he does doesn't win games?  Come on.  

I never once said an amount he was worth, I said he’ll get market value just like every other player. He also could be under contract till 21 if they do the 5th year option and another if he’s tagged. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

I never once said an amount he was worth, I said he’ll get market value just like every other player. He also could be under contract till 21 if they do the 5th year option and another if he’s tagged. 

You said top SS money.  That's $14M per year.  The top Safeties make that.  

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Where did you get that number?

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year ▾ Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Kevin Byard Titans 26 $70,500,000 $14,100,000 $30,825,000 $19,625,000 2025 UFA
Tyrann Mathieu Chiefs 27 $42,000,000 $14,000,000 $26,800,000 $26,800,000 2022 UFA
Landon Collins Redskins 25 $84,000,000 $14,000,000 $44,500,000 $31,000,000 2025 UFA
Earl Thomas Ravens 30 $55,000,000 $13,750,000 $32,000,000 $32,000,000 2023 UFA

Devoting the 6th overall draft pick and then a significant chunk of cap room for a safety would be pretty par for the course with this franchise. Adams is a good player but this isn't the type of sh*t that winning franchises do. Aside from the Darnold pick they haven't devoted any resources at all to premium positions in years, draft or money-wise.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Adams for where he was drafted should be Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu

How can you come here dogging Adams then turn around and hoist up Polamalu? He was terrible at covering a statue. But he was a hell of a in the box safety and robber, but you say Adams isn't good because he's just a box safety. At least Adams can cover TEs, something the Jets haven't had.  

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well in the below, Mack pretty much won an SNF against GB by himself.  Strip sack + pick 6.

Against AZ he engineered a comeback from down 14-3 thanks to a pair of turnovers as well.

Mack was pretty much a 1-man wrecking crew that dragged that crappy team to the playoffs.  Jamal Adams is a Safety who has an 11-24 record here yet has some Jets fans, who normally hate PFF, using it as gospel to suggest Adams has an enormous positive impact on games, even though not all plays are created equal, and Kerry Rhodes actually received a higher season grade on PFF than Adams did twice during his career.  

Adams is not the problem on this team. The fact that every time the jets lose there's another Adams thread is ridiculous. If an offense can't score more than 17 points at home, after 4 Buffalo turnovers, nobody should even be thinking about Adams, or anybody else on the defense, except for Roberts, who sucks. At least yesterday he did.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You sound like old school bitonti now.  

Paying Jamal Adams $14M a year would actually make this team worse.  

20 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Where did you get that number?

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year ▾ Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Tyrann Mathieu Chiefs 27 $42,000,000 $14,000,000 $26,800,000 $26,800,000 2022 UFA
Landon Collins Redskins 25 $84,000,000 $14,000,000 $44,500,000 $31,000,000 2025 UFA

Way to back it up, bro.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year ▾ Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency

Two of them are FS not SS so they should be getting more and Byard should definitely be getting paid more. 

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

The guy is well above average.  Objectively, he is one of the better safeties in the league,  I know some folks can't forgive the guy for not being Mahomes or Watson but saying he's average is a false narrative.

Instead of forgiving him for not being Mahomes or Watson, we could start by making the basis for comparison against some other guys that play his actual position.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You said top SS money.  That's $14M per year.  The top Safeties make that.  

That would be market value because he’s a top SS. 

I see your chart so his number will be higher then $14 million by the time the Jets have to resign him if he keeps playing at that level. 

45 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The draft and certain fans being butt hurt has zero do to with wether or not Adams can play. 

For sure, but the conversation isnt about whether or not he can play. It's about whether or not it would be wise to make him the highest paid safety in football because that is what hes going to want

• Upvote 1

I like Adams.  The guy was flying around the field making plays yesterday.  Through 2 1/2 quarters, he and Maye showed you the impact two really good safeties can have.  But, when things start to go downhill, and you feel momentum beginning to change, that is when you need your best players to make plays.  Maye had a chance to make one, but dropped the pick just before the Buffalo FG.

That is the concern I have with Adams.  So many games over the last two seasons where we just needed someone on defense to make a play, and he has never done it.  Troy Polomalu used to do it all the time.  Ed Reed bailed out the Ravens numerous times over the year.  Eddie Jackson has done it for the Bears.  Malik Hooker saved the game for the Colts yesterday allowing them to tie and force OT (even though they lost).  Yet we have still not seen that game saving play out of Adams.  Maybe he does it sometime over this season, or next.  But that is what I will need to see from him in order to give him that big contract. 

Lead by making a play when your teammates desperately need it.  That's what great leaders do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Two of them are FS not SS so they should be getting more and Byard should definitely be getting paid more. 

Do you think that Jamal Adams is going to ask for less than Byard? He’s going to wait until Eddie Jackson signs and demand more than that number. Which, lol

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

For sure, but the conversation isnt about whether or not he can play. It's about whether or not it would be wise to make him the highest paid safety in football because that is what hes going to want

Going by the chart Jet80 posted FS are getting screwed. They should be making more then SS but to you point if he’s one of the best SS in the league in a few years then he should get paid in the top but not the most because he’s not the best safety in the league. As far as if the Jets should pay him market value in a few years it depends on the state of the Jets finances. If there’s room to pay him then definitely if there’s not then you can’t. A better question is should they extend him at the end of this year or pick up his 5th year option in 2021  

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Adams.  The guy was flying around the field making plays yesterday.  Through 2 1/2 quarters, he and Maye showed you the impact two really good safeties can have.  But, when things start to go downhill, and you feel momentum beginning to change, that is when you need your best players to make plays.  Maye had a chance to make one, but dropped the pick just before the Buffalo FG.

That is the concern I have with Adams.  So many games over the last two seasons where we just needed someone on defense to make a play, and he has never done it.  Troy Polomalu used to do it all the time.  Ed Reed bailed out the Ravens numerous times over the year.  Eddie Jackson has done it for the Bears.  Malik Hooker saved the game for the Colts yesterday allowing them to tie and force OT.  Yet we have still not seen that game saving play out of Adams.  Maybe he does it sometime over this season, or next.  But that is what I will need to see from him in order to give him that big contract. 

Lead by making a play when your teammates desperately need it.  That's what great leaders do.

So much truth here. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What good players have the Jets let walk that came back to bite us?

The problem is a lack of talent to begin with, not the Jets letting good players get away.

Mosley went down yesterday and our entire defense, with supposed leader Jamal Adams still on the field, collectively pissed its pants.  Let someone else overpay for his barely useful talents.

Who are the top five players currently on the Jets? 

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This is so stupid. Jets fans with an agenda post kind of drivel. Jamal Adams is hands down the very best player on this team and the best at his respective position in the entire league. Resigning him should be a no-brainer.

Are you sure about that? Because I'm pretty sure that when CJ Moseley got hurt, the "hands down best player on the team" and all the rest of the Defense kind of folded up like a card table.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I expect him to make plays that impact the game sometimes.  We have DL and LB's.  We need him to be a ball-hawking Safety.  That's it.  Unfortunately he's not that great of an athlete, so he's more like a Safety who plays like a LB.  

Good player, but not worth the elite Safety money he's going to try to command.  And he's not a guy you "build around".  He'll never be more than the 3rd or 4th most important player on the defense.  EDGE Rushers and CB1's are who you build defenses around.  And maybe a pass-rushing DT, if you can find one.  

So let’s let very good player we have drafted walk then bitch about them. Hey it’s your right but it’s mine to disagree. I say build around him you saw two plays but have no idea how the defense was called to put him into position to make those plays do you, neither do I but I am not calling for the players head

The best/worst part about the Jamal Adams discussion is that he’s one bad blown coverage away from being reviled by the base Blair Thomas-style.
It's pretty sad ..dude is a baller and some guys here just like giving him sh*t ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Adams is a very good player. Would have been an indispensable player in the NFL of 15 years ago.  

Now though he's just too limited in the area that matters. In 2019 a coverage guy who is good brings more value than a box player who is great. Our secondary in particular can't afford the luxury Adams brings.

We've had and still have a lot of players like this. Mo, Sheldon, Leo, Q, Pryor, Adams etc. - All more suited to another era. We never learn.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

This is so stupid. Jets fans with an agenda post kind of drivel. Jamal Adams is hands down the very best player on this team and the best at his respective position in the entire league. Resigning him should be a no-brainer.

CJ Mosely is the best player on the team.

Adams big plays have all generally been on guess stunts around the LOS, as he also gets burned by doing this too (yesterday running right into a lineman taking himself out of the play). Bowles gave him a ton of leeway to improvise around the line. He's not making an impact as a pass defender, which is why its going to be hard to justify paying.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

JN - where Jets fans from all corners of the world gather to hate the Jets, each other, and themselves. I can't get enough personally.

Got to, it is in fact Therapy because for a very long period of time the NY Jets are the very definition of Insanity if the definition of Insanity can be described as “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.

Example....”In the 1st (2nd, 3rd) Rd NY Jets select “some non-impact position”...or in other words “NY Jets NEGLECT the most important positions on the field”....in a league driven by Offense...and this is going on close to DECADES now haha