Gase the offensive guru

WowOhWow

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

He's not.  Here are his rankings as a HC.  And you can also see how he did as an OC (with Peyton and without).

We bought a lemon people.  We gotta get him out of here.  He's not the guy.

image.png.35346496beabe36526bdcaeca6a78db2.png

46 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm souring real quick on Gase but let's give him the year to see what he can do here.  If he's a dumpster fire, at least we'll have a top 5 pick.  Silver linings people.  It's all we got. 

He also never had a QB (outside of Peyton)... how about you give him a few games with Darnold before we go destroying the guy

• Upvote 4

Thus far, I have seen nothing in the first two games to give me any confidence in Gase or to suggest in any way, shape, or form that he was the correct hire. (I did like him going for it on 4th and 2 - Bowles kicks it there 9/10 times)

However, I need to see him and Darnold together for a solid year (certainly more than one game) before making any big proclamations. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Thus far, I have seen nothing in the first two games to give me any confidence in Gase or to suggest in any way, shape, or form that he was the correct hire. (I did like him going for it on 4th and 2 - Bowles kicks it there 9/10 times)

However, I need to see him and Darnold together for a solid year (certainly more than one game) before making any big proclamations. 

Exactly this... My confidence in the Gase hire has waned a bit but I need to see what he has with more then a game with Sam (sick with Mono) and a game with Siemian and Falk to really judge him... I hated the play calls in the first half but I love that he has the balls to go for 4th downs when necessary. He is definitely better then Bowles but by how much... inconclusive... Need at least 4 games with Sam to get a feel...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

After 2 games, there is so much blame to go around that it's hard to decipher the main root cause for the total team failure.

The O line is horrible which leads to bad QB play.

The QB is bad because he is rushed and his WR's can't get open

The WR's can't get open because the playcalling has been poor and unimaginative.

The play calling has been poor and unimaginative because the roster is limited in talent.

The roster is limited in talent because the  previous GM was on crack for 4 years.

And it goes on and on....

Bottom line - EVERYONE has to to a better job!

I agree... I think JD is slowly bringing in actual NFL talent. Sure he has had a couple of misses but its not for the lack of trying... If Mac was here it would be crickets and hoping that the players get better.

Terrible hire , and Williams didn’t even want this job he wanted the Redskins job ...they both need to be one and done , this is going to be a historic mockery of a season even by our standards. 3-13 coming , with a complete and utter circus in the locker room . 

• Upvote 1

What does it mean to call him an offensive guru and who set that bar for him? People throw that nonsense out there like just calling him a guru means he should be judged against the top coaches in the league. Let's judge him as a first year coach with a roster that needs a lot of help and suffering player absences at key positions--who is two games into the season. 

Gase's system uses a lot of short route throwing and positioning lots of receivers on the field--which he has done a lot--but the QB stays under pressure because there is just no good blocking going on. I get the idea that if the blocking sucks then put the QB in a position to dump the ball fast and Bell is not good value on the field as a blocker but teams are just going to keep putting somebody on the edge to create pressure. Gase has to make the adjustment to the roster he has not the other way around. If he is unwilling to make the adjustments to such an obvious problem then he should be released before the season is out--but not two games into the season starting a practice squad QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The team is not good but the play design on a half dozen plays was just flat our STUPID.

oh man I loved the "designed run" call in a stacked box. He motions robby who has been thrown two 0 times...like that is going to do anything. Bell get sswallowed up, I could just see gase over there...well i called the motion the players need to execute..**** gase

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

What does it mean to call him an offensive guru and who set that bar for him? People throw that nonsense out there like just calling him a guru means he should be judged against the top coaches in the league. Let's judge him as a first year coach with a roster that needs a lot of help and suffering player absences at key positions--who is two games into the season. 

Gase's system uses a lot of short route throwing and positioning lots of receivers on the field--which he has done a lot--but the QB stays under pressure because there is just no good blocking going on. I get the idea that if the blocking sucks then put the QB in a position to dump the ball fast and Bell is not good value on the field as a blocker but teams are just going to keep putting somebody on the edge to create pressure. Gase has to make the adjustment to the roster he has not the other way around. If he is unwilling to make the adjustments to such an obvious problem then he should be released before the season is out--but not two games into the season starting a practice squad QB.

no he should be released now.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

What does it mean to call him an offensive guru and who set that bar for him? People throw that nonsense out there like just calling him a guru means he should be judged against the top coaches in the league. 

was gonna say...   has anybody, any ONE poster actaully called Gase a "guru" or a "genius" ever?

I cannot recall that.

What I recall was people being happy the HC wasnt a DC. With hopes of developing Darnold.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Luke Falk behind an parking cone o-line. Not sure why we didn't drop 30 last night.

What happened last week then? What happened for three years in Miami? Which of the play designs last night made you think offensive genius? He’s a bad coach and unless he has a HOF QB, he’s been bad. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What happened last week then? What happened for three years in Miami? Which of the play designs last night made you think offensive genius? He’s a bad coach and unless he has a HOF QB, he’s been bad. 

The offense sucked week 1. It was one week. I'm not saying he's a good coach I'm just not passing judgement on what we've seen so far. Might even give him a game with a healthy starting QB.

If you listened to Leveon in the postgame he was pretty clear that the play calling in his opinion is the last of their issues, he called out the same mistakes in response to every question but mentioned their inability to pass block about 10-12x. He seemed flat out disgusted with the players execution on the field.

As much as I enjoy watching him, it's almost sad because you can see just how much better he is than everyone else on our offense (except for Sam). Feels like we need 9 new guys on offense (probably not far off).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

After 2 games, there is so much blame to go around that it's hard to decipher the main root cause for the total team failure.

The O line is horrible which leads to bad QB play.

The QB is bad because he is rushed and his WR's can't get open

The WR's can't get open because the playcalling has been poor and unimaginative.

The play calling has been poor and unimaginative because the roster is limited in talent.

The roster is limited in talent because the  previous GM was on crack for 4 years.

And it goes on and on....

Bottom line - EVERYONE has to to a better job!

you should be known as a Jet Nation comment guru. This was really good.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

was gonna say...   has anybody, any ONE poster actaully called Gase a "guru" or a "genius" ever?

I cannot recall that.

What I recall was people being happy the HC wasnt a DC. With hopes of developing Darnold.

That's what the MNF crew was referring to him last night over and over.  Wake up.  That's his reputation.  He's the QB whisperer.  Offensive guru.

More like a cult of personality that needs to get fired, get an OC job, show that he can do the job.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

and with an oline that worked together for more than a day or two.