If Joe Douglas is the GM you guys think he is....

14 in Green

He's on the phone right now, working feverishly to tear this team down and accumulate every draft pick he can.

Nobody should be safe, except for Sam Darnold. Anyone who can bring back a 4th round or better draft pick should be traded. This team is worse then anyone thought. Adams, Leo, Mosely, Bell, Robbie (and I love these guys)... everyone. Tear it down. This team is 2 or 3 years away from competing for a Super Bowl IF Darnold becomes a FQB, so they have no value to us today. Give Sam a year, two tops to prove he can be the guy, because if he's not, what's the difference? We're going to be bad for even longer, and need even more picks.

Miami already has a jump on us with the way they're going about this season. We need to accumulate as much capital as we can for the '20 draft. There will be a lot of teams looking for QBs, and if we pick in the top 2 or 3 next year, we can trade down with one and accumulate even more picks. The worst case scenario is us finishing with 6 or 7 wins and not being able to trade back with one of those teams.

Get it done JD.

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 7
  • Post of the Week 3
  • Haha 1

Here's the thing guys, I don't even want to hear about "cap hit" either. I don't give a sh** about signing FAs right now or for the next two years....

Draft picks draft picks draft picks

We have a new GM on a 6 year contract. Let him do work. I'm down for ONE MORE FREAKING REBUILD... Just don't do it half assed. Do the damn thing right!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

Nobody should be safe, except for Sam Darnold. Anyone who can bring back a 4th round or better draft pick should be traded. This team is worse then anyone thought. Adams, Leo, Mosely, Bell, Robbie (and I love these guys)... everyone. Tear it down. This team is 2 or 3 years away from competing for a Super Bowl IF Darnold becomes a FQB, so they have no value to us today. Give Sam a year, two tops to prove he can be the guy, because if he's not, what's the difference? We're going to be bad for even longer, and need even more picks.

With a bad OLine and your suggestion of getting rid of the only two playmakers on the offense (Bell, Robby Anderson), how do you propose finding out if Sam can be the guy?  First off, with no Bell in place Darnold becomes even more of a sitting duck.

Listen, I don't disagree with the approach you suggested but I'd be interested to see how this jives with what Gase wants and how he'd want to support the development of the QB.  Let's remember, Gase left Miami to avoid the rebuilding that the Dolphins have plunged into.  He disagreed with management/ownership about that approach despite not even having a franchise QB.

I'd expect Gase to want to purge some pieces, maybe even one or two of those you suggested, and then prioritize building around Darnold first.  I'm not sure Gase would be onboard with a full purge and spending the next 2-3 offseasons rebuilding the team.

In my opinion, both Leo and Jamal could be dangled as trade bait.  I wouldn't trade Adams for anything less than 1st.  For Leo, I'd want to see some Quinnen first...maybe 5 or 6 games to know that he's at least replacement caliber for the slightly-above-average Leo, then I'd essentially take whatever I could get for Leo, hopefully a late 2nd.  I'd pursue a partial rebuild and be open to a year of fielding the Andy Reid approach of ignoring Defense and loading up on Offense.  Maybe the Jets, for once, shelf the idea of prioritizing defense in the Draft and simply relent that we'll be giving up a lot of points.  Try to bring back Jenkins (the one guy I'd pay some $$ to bring back), keep Mosely, Quinnen, Maye, Anderson but maybe try to leverage Jamal Adams and Leo into Draft picks and avoid using 1st and 2nd round picks on D.  This also means trying to get by at CB with a combination of what the Jets already have, maybe a 2nd/3rd tier mid-priced free agent, and using a 4th or 5th round pick on the position.

Trading Bell is going to be a non-starter is my guess.  Unless a Super Bowl ready team gets an injury at RB and wants to take on his contract while giving the Jets a high pick, I don't see him departing.  Similar with Robby.  He and Crowder are the only WRs on the team and both are WR2/3 caliber.  How on Earth, with a depleted OLine, do you send Sam out there with zero weapons.  Sam would be a sitting duck.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree with trading guys like Adams and Leo, but not the others mentioned.

I’m not making this offense anymore of a sh*theap than it already is and handicapping Darnold anymore than he already is.

If Minkah Fitzpatrick can fetch a 1st, so can Adams. He’s the greatest piece of trade bait on the roster at the moment. With Leo I would just take whatever I can get. Guys like Kaufusi and Fatukasi could replace him at a fraction of the cost with no drop off in production.

Giving Douglas two 1st rounders as well as having our 2nd, 3rd and 4th to play with (along with roughly $50+ mill in cap space next offseason) could go a long way towards shoring up the OL and adding a playmaker at wideout.

I don’t think we’re in as bad a situation as many seem to think. A smart, shrewd GM should be able to get this team on the road to playoff contention by next year. Let’s hope Douglas is that guy.

Good post.  I posted basically the same exact thing before reading this.

• Upvote 2

Why not add-on and build this team?  Trade away the players like LW and QW who are easily replaced.   We could acquire some really good players via trades here and now, give up the draft picks who cares we usually stink at drafting anyway. How many GM's have tried to turn that all around and have failed. 

Add some good pieces to the core of this team and we are a good team.  

The glaring needs are quite evident OL,CB,#1 WR and WR's,Edge rusher. 

If not we need 2-3 years of solid drafting getting 3-4 decent starters a year before anything good happens. 

• Upvote 1

JD is by far the best GM we have had in a long time. I like the fact that he is making moves. Risk and Reward types. His only mistakes so far in my view have been signing Kalil and trading for D. Thomas. Both are old and over the hill. They are way too injured and their bodies are breaking down.

The two players I would trade that have some value are Adams and Williams. We need to restart. Our best draftpick this year has been Cashman. Our best players play middle linebacker and then our entire offense has one player I would keep in Bell. If Darnold cant throw deep consistently and accurately. I think he will have defenses scheming him like they did to Chad Pennington.

We need to go into next years free agency heavily focused on adding young 24-26 year old talent and not banking on players like Trumaine Johnson likes. More Like Bell and Mosley likes. If they have game breaking talent sign them. Don't sign slugs like Williams Adams, etc. who are good players at the best to top 5 position players. Only sign players to big deals if they have a history of making game changing plays. Dwignt Effing Lowry has more interceptions and made more game changing plays than Adams in his short stint with the Jets. The Position a players plays on defense doesn't matter. Big time players make big time plays in big moments. Adams, Leonard have not, nor anyone else other than Mosley on Defense.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

With a bad OLine and your suggestion of getting rid of the only two playmakers on the offense (Bell, Robby Anderson), how do you propose finding out if Sam can be the guy?  First off, with no Bell in place Darnold becomes even more of a sitting duck.

Listen, I don't disagree with the approach you suggested but I'd be interested to see how this jives with what Gase wants and how he'd want to support the development of the QB.  Let's remember, Gase left Miami to avoid the rebuilding that the Dolphins have plunged into.  He disagreed with management/ownership about that approach despite not even having a franchise QB.

I'd expect Gase to want to purge some pieces, maybe even one or two of those you suggested, and then prioritize building around Darnold first.  I'm not sure Gase would be onboard with a full purge and spending the next 2-3 offseasons rebuilding the team.

In my opinion, both Leo and Jamal could be dangled as trade bait.  I wouldn't trade Adams for anything less than 1st.  For Leo, I'd want to see some Quinnen first...maybe 5 or 6 games to know that he's at least replacement caliber for the slightly-above-average Leo, then I'd essentially take whatever I could get for Leo, hopefully a late 2nd.  I'd pursue a partial rebuild and be open to a year of fielding the Andy Reid approach of ignoring Defense and loading up on Offense.  Maybe the Jets, for once, shelf the idea of prioritizing defense in the Draft and simply relent that we'll be giving up a lot of points.  Try to bring back Jenkins (the one guy I'd pay some $$ to bring back), keep Mosely, Quinnen, Maye, Anderson but maybe try to leverage Jamal Adams and Leo into Draft picks and avoid using 1st and 2nd round picks on D.  This also means trying to get by at CB with a combination of what the Jets already have, maybe a 2nd/3rd tier mid-priced free agent, and using a 4th or 5th round pick on the position.

Trading Bell is going to be a non-starter is my guess.  Unless a Super Bowl ready team gets an injury at RB and wants to take on his contract while giving the Jets a high pick, I don't see him departing.  Similar with Robby.  He and Crowder are the only WRs on the team and both are WR2/3 caliber.  How on Earth, with a depleted OLine, do you send Sam out there with zero weapons.  Sam would be a sitting duck.

Good post, let me start with Darnold. He was never going to be in an "ideal" position this year or next anyway. You aren't going to build a top OL from scratch (where we are right now) in a year or two. Same thing with WR. You can't build a "corps" in one year either. 

The good thing about Sam is he just turned 22. Give him two years with Herndon, maybe Crowder OR Robbie, and he's still a 24 year old QB. The OL is what it is, it can't get any worse, this just isn't an ideal roster for a young QB. Very few are though.

As for Gase, if he truly believes in Darnold, and knows Douglas will have his back during the next two or three lean years, I think he or any HC would relish the chance to build a team in their image. The Miami thing was them wanting to tear down TO get a QB. Presumably he feels this is an opportunity to build around one.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why not add-on and build this team?  Trade away the players like LW and QW who are easily replaced.   We could acquire some really good players via trades here and now, give up the draft picks who cares we usually stink at drafting anyway. How many GM's have tried to turn that all around and have failed. 

Add some good pieces to the core of this team and we are a good team.  

The glaring needs are quite evident OL,CB,#1 WR and WR's,Edge rusher. 

If not we need 2-3 years of solid drafting getting 3-4 decent starters a year before anything good happens. 

Who is the core, Joe? A core is what you build around LONG TERM.

Maybe Darnold. Maybe QW. Maybe Adams. Who else is going to matter in 2 or three years? I'm not even sure they will.

7 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

We need to go into next years free agency heavily focused on adding young 24-26 year old talent and not banking on players like Trumaine Johnson likes. More Like Bell and Mosley likes. If they have game breaking talent sign them. Don't sign slugs like Williams Adams, etc. who are good players at the best to top 5 position players. Only sign players to big deals if they have a history of making game changing plays. 

No free agents of that caliber are going to sign here in a very long time.  

We'll have to build entirely through the draft.  Only when we have a solid core of young talent will we be an attractive destination for impactful free agents.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Jamal Adams is a valuable trade piece at this stage of his career and contract.  He also plays a position where a JAG would be acceptable for a couple years.

Leo plays a more valuable position but not a premiere one on Defense (Edge, CB).  Having QW in place (although we really don't know how good he is yet) is a big hedge and helps make moving Leo much easier.

I'd probably keep everything else on D right now.  Mosely is expensive and if Jamal is gone then we need a leader.  Mosely becomes the rock for the D.  I'd bring back Jenkins on a new deal but other than that I'd really take the approach of just trying to "keep the Defense afloat" for a couple years without sinking big resources into it.  Count on guys like Mosely, Jenkins, Henry Anderson, QW and Marcus Maye to lead the D and fill in other spots opportunistically.

Turn the focus for the next 12 months to the offense.  We need a starting LT, a starting Center, a new OG.  We need a WR1 and probably a WR2.  The Jets could also use another TE and should probably try to find an heir apparent for Le'Veon who would be a backup RB in 2020 (taking the place of Montgomery).  That's a LOT of work to do on offense.  The Draft could probably go WR, OT, Center, WR, OG and we'd still have work to do.  Maybe we snag a CB in the first 5 rounds if a good guy drops.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Who is the core, Joe? A core is what you build around LONG TERM.

Maybe Darnold. Maybe QW. Maybe Adams. Who else is going to matter in 2 or three years? I'm not even sure they will.

Offense Darnold,Bell,Herndon,Anderson,Crowder,Montgomery,Edoga

Defense Anderson,Mosley,Hewitt,Jenkins,Roberts,Adams,Maye,Hairston,Cashman

Special Teams Ficken,Edwards 

All in all our D held Cleveland in check without Mosley our CB's weren't all that bad gave up 1 big play to OBJ. 

QW was the wrong pick at 3 we should have taken Josh Allen the pass rusher. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'll have to build entirely through the draft.  Only when we have a solid core of young talent will we be an attractive destination for impactful free agents.  

Exactly. 

People like @HawkeyeJet and @jetstream23 are over reacting to my saying no one should be safe. Douglas isn't going to trade EVERY single good player on the roster in a few weeks, nor should he.

What I'm saying is NOBODY should be considered untouchable. Accumulate as many high draft picks as possible, then maneuver in the draft. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. If they think Darnold's the goods, they need to be building around him, not tearing everything down. And who's trading draft picks for anybody from this sh*theap of a roster anyway?

Bingo.

We need to get Sam back in the lineup and actually win some ******* games for a change.

Most of the players on this team only know how to lose. 

If Darnold is the guy, we have to establish a winning culture with him over the next couple of years, and honestly, it has to start this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Start with getting rid of Trumaine Johnson and trading big mouth no production, getting outrun by Alex Smith "Self Prick anointed Prez" Adams. He is so annoying to watch. He is a prima-dona like his buddy Beckum, Landry. All about them, and how great they are.

Act like you been there before, oops I am sorry you are all losers. You never won before. They really bring the winning culture to the locker room. These players will never lead you to the superbowl. Ray Lewis is the last loudmouth I remember that lead his team to the superbowl. It might have been Ed Reed who led them or someone else.

Sadly, you are right we wont attract any free agents to sign with us. We need to draft our players.

• Thumb Down 1

The trade deadline is October 29th. We are in really bad shape, but we are far from the Fish. If we can get Darnold back for week 5 and string together a couple of wins the season is not lost. 

If things don't turn around in about 4-5 weeks then you can make deals closer to the deadline when teams start suffering injuries. 

The fish made the trades now because they had zero hope coming into the year and were actively trying to lose games. We aren't there.....yet

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He's on the phone right now, working feverishly to tear this team down and accumulate every draft pick he can.

Miami already has a jump on us with the way they're going about this season. We need to accumulate as much capital as we can for the '20 draft. There will be a lot of teams looking for QBs, and if we pick in the top 2 or 3 next year, we can trade down with one and accumulate even more picks. The worst case scenario is us finishing with 6 or 7 wins and not being able to trade back with one of those teams.

Get it done JD.

It’s so sad that an average joe blow could have fixed this mess in one weekend back in 2017 with 4 draft picks 1st round Pat Mahomes, 2nd round Kamara, 3rd round JuJu, 3rd round Eddie Jackson!

Dont give me hindsight either as myself, and a bunch others were all over these guys BEFORE the draft.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Offense Darnold,Bell,Herndon,Anderson,Crowder,Montgomery,Edoga

Defense Anderson,Mosley,Hewitt,Jenkins,Roberts,Adams,Maye,Hairston,Cashman

Special Teams Ficken,Edwards 

All in all our D held Cleveland in check without Mosley our CB's weren't all that bad gave up 1 big play to OBJ. 

QW was the wrong pick at 3 we should have taken Josh Allen the pass rusher. 

Sorry buddy no way all those guys are a "core". Montgomery is meh, Edoga hasn't even suited up, Roberts,Hairston, Ficken, Edwards are bottom feeders, the rest with the exception of Darnold, Bell, and Adams are either unproven or jags who fill out a depth chart.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Definitely put Leo on the block. Since we will likely be active in FA we may not get a comp pick for him when we let him walk.  A 3rd rounder or hopefully a 3rd and 5th rounder would be ok with me.

I agree with this but I'd be more inclined to look for existing NFL talent vs. taking a crap shoot via the draft.  Find a trading partner with OL or WR surplus and then try and match a swap.  

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Exactly. 

People like @HawkeyeJet and @jetstream23 are over reacting to my saying no one should be safe. Douglas isn't going to trade EVERY single good player on the roster in a few weeks, nor should he.

What I'm saying is NOBODY should be considered untouchable. Accumulate as many high draft picks as possible, then maneuver in the draft. 

Look in theory I understand where you are going... but JD has already started maneuvers. I think that JD is going to have his work cut out for him... Leo is the obvious choice as he is just there... and teams still think he is valuable... Now trading Adams is a mistake... Sure he could do it... but its never going to happen. Gase loves him and JD does as well. He is through and through a football player.

Now, what I hope is they don't overpay him and give him a reasonable contract for his value. I know that you disagree with this but he is the type of football player every team needs. A try hard... motivational player... never gives up and versatile. Should he get paid like a game changer, no, and if he wants to walk because of it, I understand... People here don't see his true value because he opens up opportunities for others to make plays and most of the time he is a sure tackler.  But the Jets have no game changer on Def so they don't value the glue behind that is making it stick together.

Everyone else on Def should be trade-able... I hope QW does something. 

On Off, you don't trade Bell, Darnold, Crowder, or Herndon... the rest can eat grass... maybe RA if he starts to play better but right now he is a Donte Stallworth... and replaceable

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

I agree with this but I'd be more inclined to look for existing NFL talent vs. taking a crap shoot via the draft.  Find a trading partner with OL or WR surplus and then try and match a swap.  

I love this idea, but I just don’t see a team who wants to rent Leo for the remainder of the season because they think he can help them get to the SB, or whatever giving up anyone who has real established NFL talent as this defeats the purpose of making a trade hence why most trades for players in season are for draft picks, now if the NFL has a minor league system like baseball basketball and hockey then yes more of these types of trades would go down.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Look in theory I understand where you are going... but JD has already started maneuvers. I think that JD is going to have his work cut out for him... Leo is the obvious choice as he is just there... and teams still think he is valuable... Now trading Adams is a mistake... Sure he could do it... but its never going to happen. Gase loves him and JD does as well. He is through and through a football player.

Now, what I hope is they don't overpay him and give him a reasonable contract for his value. I know that you disagree with this but he is the type of football player every team needs. A try hard... motivational player... never gives up and versatile. Should he get paid like a game changer, no, and if he wants to walk because of it, I understand... People here don't see his true value because he opens up opportunities for others to make plays and most of the time he is a sure tackler.  But the Jets have no game changer on Def so they don't value the glue behind that is making it stick together.

Everyone else on Def should be trade-able... I hope QW does something. 

On Off, you don't trade Bell, Darnold, Crowder, or Herndon... the rest can eat grass... maybe RA if he starts to play better but right now he is a Donte Stallworth... and replaceable

Adams is actually my favorite player on the Jets. I wish we had 10 more with is ability and heart. But given where this team is right now, I'd trade him in a second for a 1st round pick, and make sure with the at the very LEAST 2 #1 picks we'd then have, I got the best LT and WR in the draft I could.

That's how you help Darnold develop.

EDIT

BTW I only buttfumbled your post because for some reason you BFed my OPs, which I just realized. If I knew you played that game, I'd never have given you the courtesy of a response.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1