If Joe Douglas is the GM you guys think he is....

14 in Green

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I disagree and i'm not sorry. There are NFL superstars and there are core players not all players are superstar stardom they are supporting cast players. We do have a roster full of JAG's that I will agree I say it all the time if not on the NY Jets roster not in the NFL. We cannot tear down everything over and over its not working here.......50 years and counting. 

You have to shop Robby,Leo,Trumaine, and kill me for it QW we need playmakers on both sides of the ball..the QW pick looked good at the time when we thought we had a decent team, obviously we dont we lack key players at key positions to win in the NFL. 

Without Anderson and McClendon our DL sucks. 

How about adding Jalen Ramsey to the mix with Jamal Adams. Id give up 2020 #1 pick for Jalen Ramsey 

I mean. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Look at the 2009 and 2010 Jets AFCCG Rosters.  The defense was different, but rather than Jamal Adams the Jets had Jim Leonhard.

I would rather have Jim Leonhard and make the AFFCG.  

Those rosters were built from the OL back. The right way. We also had mature players to set the locker room tone. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Exactly. 

People like @HawkeyeJet and @jetstream23 are over reacting to my saying no one should be safe. Douglas isn't going to trade EVERY single good player on the roster in a few weeks, nor should he.

What I'm saying is NOBODY should be considered untouchable. Accumulate as many high draft picks as possible, then maneuver in the draft. 

If that's what you are saying then why didn't you say that?

Your first few sentences, virbatim are "

"He's on the phone right now, working feverishly to tear this team down and accumulate every draft pick he can."

"Nobody should be safe, except for Sam Darnold. Anyone who can bring back a 4th round or better draft pick should be traded."

And I'm the one overreacting?  **** off.  There are a lot of things I do in life, overreacting to sports ain't one.  I think my posting history more than supports that.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

And I'm the one overreacting?  **** off.  There are a lot of things I do in life, overreacting to supports ain't one.  I think my posting history more than supports that.

It kind of sounds like you are though. and you throwing in the random **** off thing supports that doesn't it?

Nice talk though, enjoy your evening.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I love this idea, but I just don’t see a team who wants to rent Leo for the remainder of the season because they think he can help them get to the SB, or whatever giving up anyone who has real established NFL talent as this defeats the purpose of making a trade hence why most trades for players in season are for draft picks, now if the NFL has a minor league system like baseball basketball and hockey then yes more of these types of trades would go down.

I was wondering if a team like the Eagles with Agholor, also coming off a rookie deal, might make some sense...

Reality is that the roster has massive holes at many core positions of the team. Any time Mac was given more time to screw this up we just hit the reset button on the time it would take for another gm to make this team competitive for a championship. It’s an unpleasant truth but you aren’t bad for this long by being unlucky, it’s poor management and poor organizational culture and vision. 

Yeah, we are ravaged by injuries, but even if it was all healthy, this team has such a roster imbalance that even if they made a run at the playoffs this year, they aren’t really set up to compete year after year in any sustainable way unless Joe Douglas is the real deal. 

If Joe Douglas goes the route of trading Adams and L Williams I would take those picks and invest them in the offensive line and keeping the defense we have basically intact Since we then will not have a premiere receiver ( but adequate with Herndon)focus heavily on the running game during the 2020 season. This I believe will not hinder Darnolds development and if the Jets can produce a dominant running game it would also help the D by keeping them off the field and controlling the game  If this scenario does occur next year they would be a better than average team that will need to learn how to win close games and by 2021 the Jets should be a bona fide playoff contender 

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

He's on the phone right now, working feverishly to tear this team down and accumulate every draft pick he can.

Nobody should be safe, except for Sam Darnold. Anyone who can bring back a 4th round or better draft pick should be traded. This team is worse then anyone thought. Adams, Leo, Mosely, Bell, Robbie (and I love these guys)... everyone. Tear it down. This team is 2 or 3 years away from competing for a Super Bowl IF Darnold becomes a FQB, so they have no value to us today. Give Sam a year, two tops to prove he can be the guy, because if he's not, what's the difference? We're going to be bad for even longer, and need even more picks.

Miami already has a jump on us with the way they're going about this season. We need to accumulate as much capital as we can for the '20 draft. There will be a lot of teams looking for QBs, and if we pick in the top 2 or 3 next year, we can trade down with one and accumulate even more picks. The worst case scenario is us finishing with 6 or 7 wins and not being able to trade back with one of those teams.

Get it done JD.

This is way too much of an exaggeration. I get what you're saying, but there's no earthly reason why you need to get rid of Bell, Mosley, Adams. That's dumb. Why get rid of franchise building players to bring in more of the same? Assuming you can actually draft talent like that.

Tearing it down? I get that. But this rebuild would only consist of building around Sammy and Bell on offense and QW, Mosley,Adams.

8 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This is way too much of an exaggeration. I get what you're saying, but there's no earthly reason why you need to get rid of Bell, Mosley, Adams. That's dumb. Why get rid of franchise building players to bring in more of the same? Assuming you can actually draft talent like that.

Tearing it down? I get that. But this rebuild would only consist of building around Sammy and Bell on offense and QW, Mosley,Adams.

Yeah, I guess you're right. You can't trade them all, and like @Paradis said earlier, the cap hits prevent it with newly signed FAs anyway.

I like Adams a lot, but if we could get a 1st round pick for him, I'd trade him. Would you? 

Superstar identity.. jersey seller.. fan favorite a guy who brings it every Sunday like Jamal Adams we need more players who want to win. 

Problem is Ramsey is a headcase, but can shut the opposing WR down. Don't compare Adams to what Ramsey brings. They both bring their loud mouths. Ramsey has made game changing plays. Adams has not made one game changing play in 3 years.

4 hours ago, EdReed22 said:

JD is by far the best GM we have had in a long time. I like the fact that he is making moves. Risk and Reward types. His only mistakes so far in my view have been signing Kalil and trading for D. Thomas. Both are old and over the hill. They are way too injured and their bodies are breaking down.

The two players I would trade that have some value are Adams and Williams. We need to restart. Our best draftpick this year has been Cashman. Our best players play middle linebacker and then our entire offense has one player I would keep in Bell. If Darnold cant throw deep consistently and accurately. I think he will have defenses scheming him like they did to Chad Pennington.

We need to go into next years free agency heavily focused on adding young 24-26 year old talent and not banking on players like Trumaine Johnson likes. More Like Bell and Mosley likes. If they have game breaking talent sign them. Don't sign slugs like Williams Adams, etc. who are good players at the best to top 5 position players. Only sign players to big deals if they have a history of making game changing plays. Dwignt Effing Lowry has more interceptions and made more game changing plays than Adams in his short stint with the Jets. The Position a players plays on defense doesn't matter. Big time players make big time plays in big moments. Adams, Leonard have not, nor anyone else other than Mosley on Defense.

wasn't that his two major moves so far this year?  (kalil and d thomas)?  what else has he done

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

wasn't that his two major moves so far this year?  (kalil and d thomas)?  what else has he done

He hasn't done much besides trading for the Colts CB who started last week. He also hasn't had a whole offseason to do much. He  barely started. Kalil was a mistake, Thomas was a low risk high reward. We suck as selecting in the 6th round anyways.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Jamal Adams is a valuable trade piece at this stage of his career and contract.  He also plays a position where a JAG would be acceptable for a couple years.

Leo plays a more valuable position but not a premiere one on Defense (Edge, CB).  Having QW in place (although we really don't know how good he is yet) is a big hedge and helps make moving Leo much easier.

I'd probably keep everything else on D right now.  Mosely is expensive and if Jamal is gone then we need a leader.  Mosely becomes the rock for the D.  I'd bring back Jenkins on a new deal but other than that I'd really take the approach of just trying to "keep the Defense afloat" for a couple years without sinking big resources into it.  Count on guys like Mosely, Jenkins, Henry Anderson, QW and Marcus Maye to lead the D and fill in other spots opportunistically.

Turn the focus for the next 12 months to the offense.  We need a starting LT, a starting Center, a new OG.  We need a WR1 and probably a WR2.  The Jets could also use another TE and should probably try to find an heir apparent for Le'Veon who would be a backup RB in 2020 (taking the place of Montgomery).  That's a LOT of work to do on offense.  The Draft could probably go WR, OT, Center, WR, OG and we'd still have work to do.  Maybe we snag a CB in the first 5 rounds if a good guy drops.

Agreed but I think we can get 2 solid years out of Bell 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Trade Adams for Jalen Ramsey

Trade Leo for what you can get.

I would not trade Robbie Anderson unless I got a very good offer.

Henrey Anderson and mcclendon I would look at the offers.

Why so Ramsey can leave next year? And why would you want a perpetually unhappy player on this team?  just  Ridic 

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why so Ramsey can leave next year? And why would you want a perpetually unhappy player on this team?  just  Ridic 

A shut down CB is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than a box safety.  The guy has been unhappy with one team.

A shut down CB is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than a box safety.  The guy has been unhappy with one team.

One greater than would have done it.

It’s not positional value that’s most important here. Its the men.
It’s the fact that Ramsey is a complete butthole. People cry about Jamal’s mouth but at least he’s all for the team. Ramsey’s arrival to training camp said it all. He’s all about that money money. He would never sign long term with the Jets unless it was ridiculous QB type money. He’s gone in a year. Good trade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. You can't trade them all, and like @Paradis said earlier, the cap hits prevent it with newly signed FAs anyway.

I like Adams a lot, but if we could get a 1st round pick for him, I'd trade him. Would you? 

Our Roster is absurdly disproportionate in favor if free agents. 3/4 of our starters are hired muscle... that makes any firesale difficult to pull off

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I’m good either way. I actually don’t know what they should do. It’s such a sh*tty team in need of too many parts. 

Edge

LT

OG

OC

WR 

WR

CB

CB

...only 8 really good or star players away...good lord

I would say building up the Oline the best you can as fast as you can, taking the highest priority. After that a dominate WR for Sam. The rest...well, hope you find some late gems. 

21 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I would say building up the Oline the best you can as fast as you can, taking the highest priority. After that a dominate WR for Sam. The rest...well, hope you find some late gems. 

Man it’s tough. I could convince myself of OL or WR in the first. But they like, HAVE to not **** one up for once. I agree they HAVE to go all offense in draft in FA and then HAVE get lucky for once with multiple (3-4) gems. 

Then couple it with a great 2021 draft/FA and finally find an edge and CB. 

2022 baby FML

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The newer guys that we have picked up have been more visible than either of these guys.  We seem to have a half dozne of the exact same type of player, keep the young hungry guys, trade guys that may have value.

Leo is gone in 4 months

Might as well keep Anderson who is better and under contract we will need to pair someone with QW next year

27 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Man it’s tough. I could convince myself of OL or WR in the first. But they like, HAVE to not **** one up for once. I agree they HAVE to go all offense in draft in FA and then HAVE get lucky for once with multiple (3-4) gems. 

Then couple it with a great 2021 draft/FA and finally find an edge and CB. 

2022 baby FML

I like to think maybe one really good player plugged in, makes things better for the rest of the OL. 

Ah 2022 will be here in no time. No worries. 

And once we see one Douglas draft. Well know whether it’ll be promising or miserable pretty fast. 

I don't know what he should do, honestly. I feel like going that route is almost guaranteed to turn this team into a circus again. Look at the problems Miami is having with players after going that route, and they dont have a team full of high priced free agents, high 1st round picks, and a mega diva of Adams caliber. Throw Gase' and Greg Williams' personality into this and I think this team would be a disaster of another level if they started gutting this team. 

However, on the bright side, for the first time maybe ever, I do have some amount of faith that whatever our gm does will more than likely be the right move. 

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nice. Now go back, read my post again. Slowly.

Nowhere in it did I "call Douglas out", LOL. If anything I was doing the opposite. Saying you trust someone to turn over a roster isn't calling them out.

Good rant though. Hope you feel better now. :rolleyes:

If that's the case, then I apologize.

But 14, you have to admit, there has been a LOT of stupidity on this board about Douglas.  My god there have been people calling for him to be fired already because he picked up a kicker, who pretty much everyone wanted two months ago, and he missed a Field goal and a PAT.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You can't  deny that the moves he has made have left a lot to be desired

They didn't work out....

But how is it NOT obvious to those bitching that he is picking guys off the scrap heap? 

I mean seriously, this really shouldn't be an issue, but SOJF have to find something to bitch about.