Is Darnold regressing under Gase?

kevinc855

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gase was brought here to develop Darnold. I see no evidence that he's been successful at that in any way, shape or form. He looks worse than he did at any point last season.

How's that Offensive Line treatin' ya? 

Because it's so easy to get a tell on Darnold, you know, behind Mangold, Sweeney, Hill, and Rasmussen.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How's that Offensive Line treatin' ya? 

Because it's so easy to get a tell on Darnold, you know, behind Mangold, Sweeney, Hill, and Rasmussen.

SAR I

Cool story bro. Maybe you can explain why the oline with pretty much the same players was better last year. Maybe you can explain why Gase makes no adjustments for the fact that Darnold doesn't identify c gap LBs as potential threats even aft they've repeatedly stunted into the B Gap untouched. Maybe you can explain why our offensive guru head coach hasn't adjusted the cadence that the pats obviously had a tell on. Maybe you can explain why he repeatedly attempted to go empty against a zero blitz front when it was abundantly clear to anyone watching his crap oline and young QB couldn't do it.

Nothing but excuses for gase week after week. He has been dealt a bad hand. He still needs to coach.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Cool story bro. Maybe you can explain why the oline with pretty much the same players was better last year. Maybe you can explain why Gase makes no adjustments for the fact that Darnold doesn't identify c gap LBs as potential threats even aft they've repeatedly stunted into the B Gap untouched. Maybe you can explain why our offensive guru head coach hasn't adjusted the cadence that the pats obviously had a tell on.

Nothing but excuses for gase week after week. He has been dealt a bad hand. He still needs to coach.

With his quarterback returning from a month in a hospital bed, Gase leads him to Offensive Player Of The Week honors.

With tough games against Dallas, New England, and at Jacksonville where the Jets are heavy underdogs, Gase goes a respectable 1-2 heading into a stretch of 6 winnable games where the Jets will be favored.

FIRE GASE!

SAR I

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not just gase 

no running game to lean on

no playmakers to depend on 

jail break pass rush on every other drop back 

defense gives up early touchdowns so he’s ajways behind 

gase chips in with stubborn game plans and play calling that ignores the weaknesses and has no hope of success 

Good point!  So why did Gase have him drop back so often after the first series???  He started out with quick hits to Robby and then stopped!  WHY???

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With his quarterback returning from a month in a hospital bed, Gase leads him to Offensive Player Of The Week honors.

With tough games against Dallas, New England, and at Jacksonville where the Jets are heavy underdogs, Gase goes a respectable 1-2 heading into a stretch of 6 winnable games where the Jets will be favored.

FIRE GASE!

SAR I

Since you love Gays so much, rather than make excuses, why not give us some real evidence of things he's done to help develop Darnold. Show us some signs of progress.

• Upvote 1

"If they put a good oline around him and get a better coach Darnold will be a top QB …"

Maybe.

He's got a above average arm and decent athletic ability. He doesn't seem to have a running dimension or consistency that is needed.

But he definitely has the potential. But I wouldn't put him as "sure thing" because there is none. And, of course, you did say "...put a good oline around him" which the Jets seemingly cannot do. so playing for the Steelers or the Saints and, yes, I believe he has the ability.

The problem is, he's losing his swagger and that is often the difference between "top flight" and Andy Dalton.

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

FIRE GASE!

SAR I

All you’re missing is a soapbox in an empty bar

"...With tough games against Dallas, New England, and at Jacksonville where the Jets are heavy underdogs..."

Um lets dissect this...

Jacksonville was 3-something and the Jets are "heavy underdogs" to them? That's pretty much an indictment, not an excuse.

Every game is tough. This is the NFL. I know, name a team you feel strongly the Jets could beat?

I don't know of any...

I don’t think Darnold has regressed. He hasn’t progressed though.

The Oline has regressed. This has manifested itself in tons of pressure on our QB.

Where Darnold has not progressed is in his deep passing. He also hadn’t progressed in taking care of the ball. These were issues he had last year. He did a good job protecting the ball down the stretch last year though. The thing is we don’t know who the real Darnold is. He has a tendency to throw INTs which is not unique to this year.

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Since you love Gays so much, rather than make excuses, why not give us some real evidence of things he's done to help develop Darnold. Show us some signs of progress.

Bill Walsh couldn't improve Joe Montana with that OL.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I don’t think Darnold has regressed. He hasn’t progressed though.

The Oline has regressed. This has manifested itself in tons of pressure on our QB.

Where Darnold has not progressed is in his deep passing. He also hadn’t progressed in taking care of the ball. These were issues he had last year. He did a good job protecting the ball down the stretch last year though. The thing is we don’t know who the real Darnold is. He has a tendency to throw INTs which is not unique to this year.

He looks like he did at USC. He's just not playing the Pac12 anymore. Everyone in the northeast creamed themselves because of the only college football game a year that gets eyeballs in that region.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He looks like he did at USC. He's just not playing the Pac12 anymore. Everyone in the northeast creamed themselves because of the only college football game a year that gets eyeballs in that region.

Right. I agree. As a Jets fan, I’m hoping he can move pass these things. Fumbling hasn’t been an issue as a pro. He has to stop playing hero ball. And he needs to stop throwing off his back foot. 

I still think he’s a FQB. Just that he needs help (in the form of a good OL) for a couple years until he’s ready to carry a team. 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dude you are a clown a few weeks ago you were arguing with me about Darnold being the future here. 

image.jpeg.2dccb815ca39a563da00982265c036a7.jpeg

1.  I never guaranteed anything.

2.  What part of put me back on ignore did you not understand you mouth breather?  There's nothing more clownish than showing an entire forum that you're ignoring someone, which you do all the time like a pissed off kindergartener, then responding to them, proving to everyone that you, once again, took them off ignore.

3.  Can you ever make a post without some stupid Google image associated with it?

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1.  I never guaranteed anything.

2.  What part of put me back on ignore did you not understand you mouth breather?  There's nothing more clownish than showing an entire forum that you're ignoring someone, which you do all the time like a pissed off kindergartener, then responding to them, proving to everyone that you, once again, took them off ignore.

3.  Can you ever make a post without some stupid Google image associated with it?

Mouth breather at least i'm breathing you have no pulse and no heart. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Mouth breather at least i'm breathing you have no pulse and no heart. 

You can barely put together a grammatically correct response.  It's all run on sentences and Google images, so are you sure about that Grandpa?

25 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Right. I agree. As a Jets fan, I’m hoping he can move pass these things. Fumbling hasn’t been an issue as a pro. He has to stop playing hero ball. And he needs to stop throwing off his back foot. 

I still think he’s a FQB. Just that he needs help (in the form of a good OL) for a couple years until he’s ready to carry a team. 

Is it about winning or having pretty stats? Because if Darnold doesn’t play hero ball... we  have even less of a chance to win.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

All you’re missing is a soapbox in an empty bar

How exactly is Gase supposed to be "coaching well" when the team is this decimated by injury and has a second year quarterback that's in a funk? 

The biggest gauge of Gase during this slump is if he holds the players together and has them playing hard.  So far, no issues there.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's clear he's regressing. 

He was much better than this at the end of last season and even better in week one at Buffalo.

Frankly, I think he's a bit shell-shocked right now.  He's getting killed back that.  

Gase needs to find a way to protect him or he will continue to get worse.

Ok so we are just ignoring the Dallas game now. Got it. Tell me is you still think he’s regressed in 5 weeks.