Thoughts on the Jets Implosion

jbone

Spot on.

Douglas has one strike against him already but he might be able to erase that strike but I doubt it.

That is not cashing in on Adams and Quinnen Williams at the trade deadline.  He had to see this team was hopeless in many areas and his chance at a full reset was right there. 

I think the value of these two players will only go down from here so I doubt he can get a great deal at the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I haven't seen anything inspiring from Douglas so far.  I know he was put in a tough spot and I'm certainly not writing him off - but the little I have seen hasn't been good.

• Khailil signing (could have been out of desperation, so I can understand it)
  • Not having multiple kickers in camp (probably cost them a week 1 win)
  • Not tearing it down last week and taking your 2 #1's for QW and Adams (as Beerfish noted above)
  • Handling of Osmele injury/surgery issue
  • Handling this whole Adams drama

Again, he was dealt a real sh--ty hand...so I'm trying hard not to judge him - but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to think he's the savior either.

• Upvote 4

Really good read.

It just sucks that we are now in the position of doubting Darnold. I could deal with losing every week as long as he was progressing, performing and the offense was putting up points. Thought we had the franchise QB problem finally situated. We are so ****ed if this downward spiral continues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I haven't seen anything inspiring from Douglas so far.  I know he was put in a tough spot and I'm certainly not writing him off - but the little I have seen hasn't been good.

• Khailil signing (could have been out of desperation, so I can understand it)
  • Not having multiple kickers in camp (probably cost them a week 1 win)
  • Not tearing it down last week and taking your 2 #1's for QW and Adams (as Beerfish noted above)
  • Handling of Osmele injury/surgery issue
  • Handling this whole Adams drama

Again, he was dealt a real sh--ty hand...so I'm trying hard not to judge him - but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to think he's the savior either.

I agree.  But gase is the mastermind behind all of this.  He is the dmporer, douglas is only vadar.

The slate can be wiped clean if chris johnson sets up the power structure of him, then douglas, then head coach.

Then we all give douglas a clean slate and get behind him 100%.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  But gase is the mastermind behind all of this.  He is the dmporer, douglas is only vadar.

The slate can be wiped clean if chris johnson sets up the power structure of him, then douglas, then head coach.

Then we all give douglas a clean slate and get behind him 100%.

I am prepared to get 100% behind Douglas if Gase is gone.  

If Gase is here and really the puppet master then Douglas doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, if he's not strong enough to be his own man then he shouldn't be running an NFL franchise.

• Upvote 1

I like that he correctly puts the onus on ownership and the structure they put in place to keep themselves incorporated in the process. The reason you end up with Gase and Maccagnan and Idzik is a continuing symptom of Woody getting snowed by Tannenbaum, and then by Rex. You can fire all the coaches and GMs you want, but until Woody and Chris excuse themselves from the day to day, it’s going to be impossible to move the team forward. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I became a Ravens fan tonight.  Not as in I'm switching allegiances forever, but for this season.  I can't watch the Jets as they currently are.  I don't know yet if it's Gase, or Darnold, or the O-Line or just simply the incredible number of injuries that has broken this team to the point where they look so bad but I can't watch them right now.  The Ravens, however, I can watch.  They are what I hope this Jets team would have been this year, and maybe can become next year.  Exciting young QB, well run and well-coached.  Not a ton of name talent, but a lot of heart.  I like KC also, and would be happy to see either of them represent the AFC this year.  And if the Chargers can catch lightning in a bottle, I could root for them as well.

That's pretty much where I'm at now.  First time I've ever reached this point.  I'll hope that Gase goes and Douglas is the real deal and we can bring in a coach who can turn this around next season.  But if I'm going to watch football on the weekends right now, it can't be the Jets because whatever they are doing out there, it's not football.

• Upvote 1

Who’s to say even Joe Douglas will be a good GM? He might be a dud. I certainly hope not. But he’s new at the position and honesty he should of hired a new offensive line coach by now or only Gase can hire or fire assistants? Who knows? It didn’t take da Raiders long to get on the right track with a new head coach and GM. I just don’t know where this team is headed and still don’t know if we have anybody in management that really knows what they are doing. Sad state of affairs.

• Upvote 1

Jets can create ~$80-85 million in cap room by cutting dead weight.

Go out and sign the 2-3 best o-lineman in free agency.  Move Edoga back to RT.

Use the 2nd rounder on the best center in the draft.

Use the 1st rounder on o-line too, unless Chase Young is on the board.

Trade Adams for a pick that nets us a 1st round cornerback.

Get a coach in here who understands how to build a real offense from the ground-up, starting with the line.

Doing all that can lay a foundation for a decent team in 2-3 years.  "Best player available" is BS.  The essentials are QB, OL, #1 WR, Edge rush, and CB.  Prioritize those, and all other positions can be filled in secondarily.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

I became a Ravens fan tonight.  Not as in I'm switching allegiances forever, but for this season.  I can't watch the Jets as they currently are.  I don't know yet if it's Gase, or Darnold, or the O-Line or just simply the incredible number of injuries that has broken this team to the point where they look so bad but I can't watch them right now.  The Ravens, however, I can watch.  They are what I hope this Jets team would have been this year, and maybe can become next year.  Exciting young QB, well run and well-coached.  Not a ton of name talent, but a lot of heart.  I like KC also, and would be happy to see either of them represent the AFC this year.  And if the Chargers can catch lightning in a bottle, I could root for them as well.

That's pretty much where I'm at now.  First time I've ever reached this point.  I'll hope that Gase goes and Douglas is the real deal and we can bring in a coach who can turn this around next season.  But if I'm going to watch football on the weekends right now, it can't be the Jets because whatever they are doing out there, it's not football.

It is a sad, annual Jets tradition—decide who in AFC we will root for to stop the bloody Pats.

47 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

coulda stood pat and had lamar jackson, but we have captain intercepto...

It doesn’t matter who you have at QB if the line can’t block anyone and have a sh*t offensive scheme . You guys love looking around at teams who put there young QBs in successful situations and swear they would be the same here and it’s a false train of thought . Look at the chiefs today They didn’t miss a beat with Matt Moore who just came off his couch . That Oline and that coaching staff allows for QB’s to thrive . 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Jason is one of the best amateur cap guys around and a diehard Jets fan.

This article is as devastating as it is accurate. 

It’s like a guy who comes in late everyday to work. Sure, a few of those days he may have a valid excuse. But the problem is the pattern. Jets have been dysfunctional for years.

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

It doesn’t matter who you have at QB if the line can’t block anyone and have a sh*t offensive scheme . You guys love looking around at teams who put there young QBs in successful situations and swear they would be the same here and it’s a false train of thought . Look at the chiefs today They didn’t miss a beat with Matt Moore who just came off his couch . That Oline and that coaching staff allows for QB’s to thrive . 

Could have stayed where you were and drafted Quentin Nelson and traded back into end of round 1, where you would have only had to move up a few spots from Rd 2 #5 to go to Rd 1 #32 and had LJax....doubtful would have ever been a thought process, but reasonable.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Remember when everyone was calling Harbaugh a loser? Yeah... that was good stuff.

• Haha 1

The Dolphins could trade all their good players and try to tank because everyone was on the same page 

Gase and CJ was not letting JD dump any other good players because they were still trying to win, save Gase’s job and try to sell more beer at the games.  That was a mistake.  The Johnsons continue to make it in different forms. 

• Upvote 1