Joe Benigno loses it and kicks Jets' beat reporter @BrianCoz off of his show

I actually may think the most like Beningo than anyone on here. The oart where he says, " I want CJ to say we haven't won a SB in 50 years." That is pretty much how I have felt as a Jet fan the last decade. When are they gonna be fed up with loding and do what needs to be done. Hess, did it with Parcels, when can it happen again?

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hat that thus guy paints the picture of what we are as a fan base, and I hate even more that so many of us take this guys behaviors as permission to act in kind.

Undignified.

Jets are 18-43 last 4 years and now have a bad roster and a lousy head coach they are stuck with

Yet you’re worried about Beningo being dignified 

• Haha 1

He may be a raving lunatic at times, but he speaks the truth. Can anyone on this board say, in good faith and with a straight face, that they've been happy or satisfied with the "progress" of this team over the last decades? Can anyone here say, in all honesty, that not winning or even getting to play in a SB since '68 has been acceptable? I certainly cannot. Regardless of what you think of Beningo's motives, there's no getting around the fact that he's accurate in what he says.

• Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets are 18-43 last 4 years and now have a bad roster and a lousy head coach they are stuck with

Yet you’re worried about Beningo being dignified 

Question for you. Do you ever walk and chew gum at the same time? 

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

He may be a raving lunatic at times, but he speaks the truth. Can anyone on this board say, in good faith and with a straight face, that they've been happy or satisfied with the "progress" of this team over the last decades? Can anyone here say, in all honesty, that not winning or even getting to play in a SB since '68 has been acceptable? I certainly cannot. Regardless of what you think of Beningo's motives, there's no getting around the fact that he's accurate in what he says.

Nobody is debating the parts where he cites facts. It’s the buffoonery that’s he packages the facts with... nobody who acts like he dies gets taken seriously by anyone with influence or power. So, he’s basically killing the message that we all want ownership to acknowledge. Valid information only goes as far as the way that it’s delivered, unfortunately. 

Benigo is an unhinged child.  His rants are tired and old.  He contradicts himself at every turn.  He yells at Costello about not wanting to heard about how the bad roster is a problem and then in the very NEXT sentence complains about the poor draft history...Lol.  The guy is an over-reactionary buffoon.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I get both sides to be honest.

The Jets fans argument:

Gase was a bad hire to begin with as all the evidence points to him being a lousy head coach. The QB has also regressed under his watch, and while installing another system isn’t ideal for Darnold it’s better than remaining in a bad system. Benigno believes the Jets are spinning their wheels with Gase as he will almost certainly be gone in the next year or two. Why not cut bait now and start looking for the next guy?

Beat Writers argument:

Keep in mind many of these guys aren’t really Jets fans. They look at the fact that Gase inherited one of the worst rosters in the league that was ravaged by injuries. Bowles lasted for three years in a similar situation so why shouldn’t Gase get another year to turn things around?

Honestly the truth is somewhere in the middle as to who is right. The beat writers are a bit more objective right now since Jets fans are incredibly frustrated by a decade long post season drought with things looking as bad as ever. Gase is certainly taking the fan bases wrath for mistakes of past regimes (Costellos main point). That said even with the injuries (which are overstated because many of those players aren’t very good despite their contract) I still believe the Jets have more talent than they have had the past two years. Combine that with the an incredibly soft schedule and you can’t really defend another 4-5 win season. Keep in mind the offense has not scored double digits in half their games this year. How can Costello defend that? It’s more than just the 4-8 record it’s the fact that the Jets do not play competitive football. 

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hat that thus guy paints the picture of what we are as a fan base, and I hate even more that so many of us take this guys behaviors as permission to act in kind.

Undignified.

I dont hate it, but the idea that hes an avatar for Jets fans and a model for how they should behave is definitely an issue (despite how much entertainment I get from it here)

His portrayed relationship with the team is extremely unhealthy and I'm sure there are many beningo-lites who let this stupid team cause them legitimate emotional pain + trigger domestic issues. Hard to believe there was a time in my life were I thought i was justified in acting like an angry dick on Sunday / Monday because the Jets lost.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Great job by Benigno, cut that hack "reporter" right off his show.  Hope he never is invited back.

Virtually all of the Jet beat reporters just carry water for the Jet Owners, they might as well be employees of the Jets.

McCarthy should have been named coach.  I don't care about the calls that the "game has passed him by" (Green Bay had had some awful drafts that left the team without a Defense), McCarthy built Aaron Rodgers from "the ground up", totally changed his mechanics until they were perfection.

Gase's virtual only "success" in the league is being a coach on a squad that had a very finished product in Peyton Manning on it.

Who can honestly say that they would rather have Gase coach up Darnold over McCarthy?  And that is what this time is all about, but it is moving quickly, Darnold is almost in Year 3.

Lol at the McCarthy crew. No one else gave him a job and and even bigger LOL at the clowns that believed McCarthy chose to be unemployed this year.

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Cuz Benigno is a same old Jets fan Debbie Downer type. Never is there any optimism, hope, reasonable thought, or acceptance that it's a football game and there's an ebb and flow.

He just wants to pounce and talk smack and be right. I guess he's a season ticket holder but he can't name half the players or how we got them!? LOL. Sounds more like a half a fan to me.

Also he never and I mean never, talks X's and O's at all!? Does he even know anything about football? Yes he kicks and screams about Bell's contract and how come "Gaze" isn't running the ball more!? But he wants to know what round we drafted Poole in... cuz according to Benigno this guy is clueless just like the owner. SMH

Evan is pretty good ..I'd like to see him teamed with Bart Scott but I heard Bart's leaving for Espn.. I also like that Robby Sabo dude.. at least for his insight on the actual plays of the game.

At one point I heard Joe blame a player for something who hadn't played in 4 weeks cuz he's injured.. like a clueless guest at a Super Bowl party who doesn't watch football. Just STFU! Lol

Do you really listen to him?  He bet the money line on the Jets against the Patriots a few weeks ago.  He also said he never felt more optimistic about a 4-7 Jet team in his life going into last week, and he has followed the team since their inception.  He also has said that he'll throw Gase a party if he wins a Superbowl and he hopes it happens.  So to say there's never any optimism from him just isn't true.  That's not to say he's not a little nuts (lol) but I just get a kick out of the passion he has for his teams.  Btw, the one HC I absolutely didn't want was Mike McCarthy (who he loves).

As far as his football knowledge, he's about as knowledgeable as the average fan.  I don't think most of us (myself included) are really able to talk X's and O's.  And many of us who think we're qualified to do so actually aren't.  

Joe B is the one guy who actually represents the station's call letters.  He really is a "fan".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The jets are 18-43 since firing Rex

Yeah, that's a very profound snippet of information. What bothers me most about Jets fans is how foolish they can be. REALIZE how foolish they are, then continue right on down the same path that made them a fool to begin with. Jets nation has now been treated to TWO complete clusterf*cks for coaches (there words, not mine) since firing Rex and yet they still have all these very dumb, completely false narratives that they somehow believe about Rex.

But one thing I happen to firmly believe is this:

I believe Joe Douglas probably knows Rex Ryan and probably LIKES Rex Ryan? They worked together with the Ravens and have some history. Now, right now, Adam Gase is Joe's guy. He didn't hire him but he does have a personal relationship with him and respects him as a HC. He's probably only going to fire Adam Gase when the Johnson's say so. It's their hire and he's going to respect the owners wishes. Whenever that day comes, I do believe Rex Ryan will be one of Joe Douglas' top choices to replace Adam Gase. 

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Yeah, that's a very profound snippet of information. What bothers me most about Jets fans is how foolish they can be. REALIZE how foolish they are, then continue right on down the same path that made them a fool to begin with. Jets nation has now been treated to TWO complete clusterf*cks for coaches (there words, not mine) since firing Rex and yet they still have all these very dumb, completely false narratives that they somehow believe about Rex.

But one thing I happen to firmly believe is this:

I believe Joe Douglas probably knows Rex Ryan and probably LIKES Rex Ryan? They worked together with the Ravens and have some history. Now, right now, Adam Gase is Joe's guy. He didn't hire him but he does have a personal relationship with him and respects him as a HC. He's probably only going to fire Adam Gase when the Johnson's say so. It's their hire and he's going to respect the owners wishes. Whenever that day comes, I do believe Rex Ryan will be one of Joe Douglas' top choices to replace Adam Gase. 

Just the opposite. Douglas was there when his mentor, Ozzie Newsome, bypassed Rex for the HC job, and chose Harbough. He knows Ozzie passed on Rex because he's a clown show, and probably would never even consider bring him back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Benigo is an unhinged child.  His rants are tired and old.  He contradicts himself at every turn.  He yells at Costello about not wanting to heard about how the bad roster is a problem and then in the very NEXT sentence complains about the poor draft history...Lol.  The guy is an over-reactionary buffoon.  

His yelling at Costello was completely unfair and he's unhinged but it's kind of endearing (at least to some of us) because I think his passion for the team is sincere. 

Again, I think the whole "he doesn't represent me!" thing is silly.  Does anyone truly believe that any fan base is homogeneous?  Heck, Evan Roberts is also a passionate Jet fan and he's a sane human being.  But I don't find Evan's show to be as entertaining as when he's with Joe.

• Thumb Down 1

Whether you like Joe B or despise him, he does represent the frustration that Jets fans have with the organization. The time and effort put into designing new uniforms was greater than the time and effort used to hire Gase. He is spot on about ownership not giving playoff mandates. It would go a long way with the fans if the owners gave us the illusion that they actually want to win. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think the guy is insane. Period

Who screams like that over a team.  It's  why Mike Greenberg who is about as big a Jets fans as anyo e made it from Radio to TV and JB will go to be talked about in management  meetings about how long do we keep this guy. 

Mike Greenberg does a national show. It’s a totally different deal than Benigno. Both have made plenty $ and have been incredibly successful in the sports talk industry. 

Benigno like any Jets fan is frustrated by a team that has not made it to the post season in a decade. While Gase is taking more criticism than he deserves he’s also done nothing to erase the concerns of the Jets fans who did not think he was a good hire in the first place (majority of the fan base). 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

So celebrating 18-43 is smart?

You’ve missed the point. You can go back and attempt comprehension in the second go-round, or you can continue to fire off unintelligible barbs that reveal how badly you’ve missed the point. Either way, chicken parm is delicious.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Beningo is a joke.  The suits see a loss, and it's "queue the angry Jets fan!" and off he goes, repeating the same "I'm gonna die bro..." shtick he's been doing since Rex Ryan left town.  He doesn't know the names of half the players.  And that Evan faker just plays along.  It's an act.  A really bad one.

Today's fakery is simple-  he's a candidate to take over for Mike Francesa whose last day was today (what a coincidence) so here he is, trying to get buzz.  He's a clown.  I don't listen to him anymore, been that way for years.

SAR I

Bro, get off my lawn, BRO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Whether you like Joe B or despise him, he does represent the frustration that Jets fans have with the organization.

Yes, in 1996.  Not anymore.  He's a caricature, he's playing a role.  He used to be honest.  Now he's a corporate shill, a turnkey "angry Jets guy" because that's all Entercom wants from him.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The jets are 18-43 since firing Rex

I was fine with Rex as a coach, but he inherited a decent amount of talent including a very good oline with Mangold/Ferguson/woody. 

If we had Rex the last 61 games, the record wouldn't be much different than the 18-43. 

The problem with this team the last few years hasn't been coaching (which is not to excuse the coaching) it's the lack of talent. From bad QBs, bad olines, no edge rushers etc... 

We have to hope Douglas can turn things around. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think the guy is insane. Period

Who screams like that over a team.  It's  why Mike Greenberg who is about as big a Jets fans as anyo e made it from Radio to TV and JB will go to be talked about in management  meetings about how long do we keep this guy. 

I'd have to bet the average IQ of his listeners is below 90.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1