Jay Feely on Darnold

RonaldJet

Feely was definitely overly critical but this was the first time all season that Darnold pissed me off. Usually he is running for his life and has no run support behind this awful OLine but today he was making poor decisions and missing open receivers when he had time. I still think he will be a good one in this league as he matures. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Play in and play out, he was mediocre. Someone else wrote that he was "uneven." I think that is a great way to put it. He had some very good throws and some very bad misses. 

At the end of the day, he came down the field when he had to. 

Also, he put the ball in the endzone twice. The other QB who Feely was ballwashing didn't. That was the difference in the game.

You nailed it.  Sam was uneven.  He was really solid in the first half despite some bad drops from his receivers.  However he struggled mote in the second half.  That type of interception he needs to stop.  Also that one play where he could have gotten the first down running he decided to pass.  He also had some overthrows. But at least he also made some throws that gave us a position to win at the end.  So it was uneven 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Based on what?  Or is this the same instinct that told you Matt Rhule was bringing in a college staff based on nothing?

Being nasty is fun for you, isn’t it? Knock yourself out, you know better, you read a report saying he might bring in someone who wasn’t. So even though you don’t know jack, act like you do.

Did you watch the Buffalo game? Gase had months to game plan it. He knew who Darnold is. He’d coached against him, he went through an offseason and TC with him.

What did he have Darnold do? He had him throw about 15 passes that each traveled 5 yards in the air to Crowder.

Robbie is a weapon, so he’ll call a deep ball to him a few times, but everyone knows how Darnold struggles with that. I think Gase feels if he keeps it simple for him, that limits Darnold’s back foot throws, and his poor decisions. Limit his interceptions, we can compete against mediocre and poor teams.

Give Gase credit. He’s done a great job making Darnold and his stats look the best he can. I think @SAR I is right. We win one or two of our next three, Gase should be in the conversation for Coach of the Year.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Aye, who won the game?. And it was 2 FG drives Darnold Engineered that won the game in the end, plus he passed for 2 TDs in this game while Fitzloser passed for 0 TDs hoping the FG kicker would win the game by breaking the FG record. Anybody else wins games in this fahion and it's a great win, but we do and there are always questions. We are trying to turn the corner and win games with some level of cosistency and who cares even if by 1 point to whoever. Darnold and the Jets with a decimated team have won 4 of the last 5 and that is always hard in this league. Had Sam not got Mono we likely make the playoffs.

I stated that he made some big plays when it counted. It was a good win.

But I'm not just judging Sam on the outcome of the game. I want to see him continue to develop and be a top player at the position. Sam has played very well from the Giants game on. But his performance today, while not bad, could have been a lot better. He missed some big plays. That's fair criticism. 

And for the record, I really don't care if he outplays Fitz. While I'm happy, I hold Darnold to a much higher level than I do Fitz, whose just a journeyman QB who plays on a lot of bad football teams.

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Being nasty is fun for you, isn’t it? Knock yourself out.

Did you watch the Buffalo game? Gase had months to game plan it. He knew who Darnold is. He’d coached against him, he went through an offseason and TC with him.

What did he have Darnold do? He had him throw about 15 passes that each traveled 5 yards in the air to Crowder.

Robbie is a weapon, so he’ll call a deep ball to him a few times, but everyone knows how Darnold struggles with that. I think Gase feels if he keeps it simple for him, that limits Darnold’s back foot throws, and his poor decisions. Limit his interceptions, we can compete against mediocre and poor teams.

Give Gase credit. He’s done a great job making Darnold and his stats look the best he can. I think @SAR I is right. We win one or two of our next three, Gase should be in the conversation for Coach of the Year.

That's Adam Gase's offense.  At every step of his career, Gase's offense are dink and dunk.  Whether it's with Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Tannehill or Darnold.  Stats back that up.  Regular stats, advanced stats and the good old eye test.  They all say it.  This isn't a dumbed down version of anything. This is how he likes to run his offense.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's Adam Gase's offense.  At every step of his career, Gase's offense are dink and dunk.  Whether it's with Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler, Tannehill or Darnold.  Stats back that up.  Regular stats, advanced stats and the good old eye test.  They all say it.  This isn't a dumbed down version of anything. This is how he likes to run his offense.

If you think it’s the only offense he knows, I don’t know what to tell you. He’s been in this league for years, I give him more credit then you do. He didn’t run an offense with Peyton, he was a QB coach there.

This offense is the one he thinks suits Darnold, and he’s right. It’s the one he’s running because it limits the mistakes a mediocre QB will make. That’s why he ran it in Miami, and here with Darnold.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

He was evicerating Darnold today (and ballwashing Fitzpatrick like he was Tom Brady). I think he was a big part of the negativity on Sam that came out of this game. What did folks at the game think of his performance? I can’t really tell when he misses open WRs on TV, but Feely called it out a lot. 

Also it looked like Fitz played a pretty lousy game vs a decimated defense, and if you listened to the broadcast you would think he was playing flawless. 

Fitz is just going out there and having fun. 

I swear, i wanted to barf everytime he said that. 

• Upvote 1

14... Darnold played against Buffalo with fun on mono... he himself said he was o all night with a fever. 

Feeley is a Dolphins homer. For whatever reason the last few weeks the cbs C team has been basically a pre season home broadcast for the opponent.

The Jets SUCK at politics. It’s why Sam was micd on Monday night. The Giants are GREAT at this... they feed the crews a bunch of positive crap to make their guy look good. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was spot on with his assesment.  Darnold was awful today and has been awful in far too many games this year.  It is very concerning.

What's  very concerning is your grasp of reality.  The only bad throw he made was the pick. He missed sone receivers  but didn't  play bad at all.

34 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

*you're

Newsflash.  Everyone on the planet knows “you are” is you’re.  

Why is it when texting or informal things like a message board you do not have to capitalize anything, you do not need to use periods or commas correctly, but you throw a “your” out there and the grammer police go bananas?

you will never get dinged for an “isnt” but you throw a “your” out there and watch out.  Those super smart people are foaming at the mouth.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Jay Feely hurt a lot of people’s feelings here today, didn’t he?

..and why do people here act surprised when guys like him and Anderson call a game with teams like this? Who were you expecting, Nance and Romo?

The Browns had Beth Mowins for Pete’s sake. (she’s very good though. Loves Mayfield)  ?

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Jay Feely hurt a lot of people’s feelings here today, didn’t he?

..and why do people here act surprised when guys like him and Anderson call a game with teams like this? Who were you expecting, Nance and Romo?

The Browns had Beth Mowins for Pete’s sake. (she’s very good though. Loves Mayfield)  ?

How dare he point out how bad sam darnold was.  Lets write letters to cbs!

• Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Being nasty is fun for you, isn’t it? Knock yourself out, you know better, you read a report saying he might bring in someone who wasn’t. So even though you don’t know jack, act like you do.

Not sure if you watch the football outside of the Jets, but that’s way offense is called everywhere in 2020. It’s all about inflating QB statistics with short passes. The Rams do it, the 49ers do it, the Eagles do it, the Pats do it, the Chiefs do it. Why can’t the Jets?

Darnold stinks but I don’t think the play calling would be much different with another QB. 

If Feely really had a keen eye today, he would have noticed the tie he was wearing was about 4"-6" too short.   The bottom of his tie was was so high it looked like a 5th grader getting ready for school pictures.    Next time get the tie Right or keep the jacket buttoned.   And if I want an evaluation of my franchise QB, I want it from a football player not from a kicker .   F him 

3 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

If Feely really had a keen eye today, he would have noticed the tie he was wearing was about 4"-6" too short.   The bottom of his tie was was so high it looked like a 5th grader getting ready for school pictures.    Next time get the tie Right or keep the jacket buttoned.   And if I want an evaluation of my franchise QB, I want it from a football player not from a kicker .   F him 

https://twitter.com/phinstweets/status/1203757497540108290?s=21

52 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was absolutely awful.  If he could make simple throws we win this game by 3 tds.  We almost lost it he was so bad.

If you had even the slightest clue, you would realize he was the reason the Jets won. The Fins marched up and down the field at will all game. You think not getting a stop by the D might factor into the game?

Most if not all of the NFL announcers with the exception of the Sunday Night Football in America crew Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels are all garbage. 

Sayyyyyy whattttttttt !?!?!?!?!????!?!?!??

Most are terrible ... but those 2 are far and away the worst of the bunch!!!!

Please God tell me that was sarcasm on your part!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Not sure if you watch the football outside of the Jets, but that’s way offense is called everywhere in 2020. It’s all about inflating QB statistics with short passes. The Rams do it, the 49ers do it, the Eagles do it, the Pats do it, the Chiefs do it. Why can’t the Jets?

Darnold stinks but I don’t think the play calling would be much different with another QB. 

Just about all the teams that do that also have what you would call mobile QBs, and ones who throw a good deep ball.

We have one who rarely runs, even when there is nothing between him and the end zone, and struggles with long throws.

I get what you’re saying, but I also stand by what I said. Gase has done a great job this year calling plays that limit the mistakes Sam can make. His numbers have improved, and we’ve beaten some mediocre and bad teams because of that.

If Darnold shows Gase he’s capable of more, I’m sure the training wheels will come off.

42 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

The crew today sucked balls.

So did the teams.. hard to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t.

17 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Jay Feely is looking for work.

I think Jay Feely is doing fine for himself. Jets fans hurt feelings not withstanding.

5 minutes ago, ljr said:

Sayyyyyy whattttttttt !?!?!?!?!????!?!?!??

Most are terrible ... but those 2 are far and away the worst of the bunch!!!!

Please God tell me that was sarcasm on your part!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Have you listened to some of the announcers examples Buck,Romo,Booger, I have yes and I stand by my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Newsflash.  Everyone on the planet knows “you are” is you’re.  

Why is it when texting or informal things like a message board you do not have to capitalize anything, you do not need to use periods or commas correctly, but you throw a “your” out there and the grammer police go bananas?

you will never get dinged for an “isnt” but you throw a “your” out there and watch out.  Those super smart people are foaming at the mouth.

*grammar

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1