Jump to content

Is anyone excited about this defense?


Recommended Posts

It’s crazy all the negativity coming from Jets fans on twitter and the message board. The QB & Offense struggled as expected and certainly left some points on the board, but in a winning effort it’s tough to kill them. I swear there are some fans that think the only player on the team that matters is Sam Darnold.
 

Defensively the Jets are probably a couple of pass rushers away from having an elite unit. It’s an absolute shame they are paying CJ Mosely all this money, because Jame Burgess is playing the Mike role at an exceptionally high level. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If Austin can stay healthy and develop and QW can develop and Mosely finally stay healthy

 

im not a big Jordan Jenkins fan but we have to resign him

Agree across the board. Losing Adams would hurt but I get it if it’s a first round pick. I’m also gonna optimistically add Williamson for next year too. And hope they can keep Poole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SummerofSam14 said:

It’s crazy all the negativity coming from Jets fans on twitter and the message board. The QB & Offense struggled as expected and certainly left some points on the board, but in a winning effort it’s tough to kill them. I swear there are some fans that think the only player on the team that matters is Sam Darnold.
 

Defensively the Jets are probably a couple of pass rushers away from having an elite unit. It’s an absolute shame they are paying CJ Mosely all this money, because Jame Burgess is playing the Mike role at an exceptionally high level. 

Good post. All we hear is Darnold, Darnold. Just like this guy who started this thread about half an hour after the win. Nerve of some “ fans !”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm excited that we don't have to draft DL for at least 2 years, does that count?

Otherwise we're extremely thin on CB and Passrusher, two of the most important positions for defense. And those take a back seat to offense this draft.

At passrusher we're essentially back to 2005 when we let Abraham go - still searching. CB we need two more. Hopefully you fill that in free agency, but you just don't know.

Also if Greg Williams leaves I doubt this group will perform as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

I'm excited that we don't have to draft DL for at least 2 years, does that count?

Otherwise we're extremely thin on CB and Passrusher, two of the most important positions for defense. And those take a back seat to offense this draft.

At passrusher we're essentially back to 2005 when we let Abraham go - still searching. CB we need two more. Hopefully you fill that in free agency, but you just don't know.

Also if Greg Williams leaves I doubt this group will perform as well.

Since Brady is retiring after this season or at least going to San Diego I would say edge rusher is not as big a need as what we ignored or botched the past 15 years

 

we can beat Josh Allen, Jared Stidham and whatever piece of crap Miami will start at Qb next year without a demonic edge rusher

 

We need WR, OL and CB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

It’s crazy all the negativity coming from Jets fans on twitter and the message board. The QB & Offense struggled as expected and certainly left some points on the board, but in a winning effort it’s tough to kill them. I swear there are some fans that think the only player on the team that matters is Sam Darnold.
 

Defensively the Jets are probably a couple of pass rushers away from having an elite unit. It’s an absolute shame they are paying CJ Mosely all this money, because Jame Burgess is playing the Mike role at an exceptionally high level. 

Elite?

How about consistently good? Is it too much to ask for our fans to temper their delusions of grandeur? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Greg Williams coaching a bunch of scrubs to a quality level has been the only thing to really excited about this year. 

This... and in doing so, he's also dispelled the notion that we need the front-7 to be loaded with top 10 picks. Now, maybe we can spend those picks on offense since it's 2020 and scoring is all that matters.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Since Brady is retiring after this season or at least going to San Diego I would say edge rusher is not as big a need as what we ignored or botched the past 15 years

 

we can beat Josh Allen, Jared Stidham and whatever piece of crap Miami will start at Qb next year without a demonic edge rusher

 

We need WR, OL and CB

What’s in San Diego?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SummerofSam14 said:

It’s crazy all the negativity coming from Jets fans on twitter and the message board. The QB & Offense struggled as expected and certainly left some points on the board, but in a winning effort it’s tough to kill them. I swear there are some fans that think the only player on the team that matters is Sam Darnold.
 

Defensively the Jets are probably a couple of pass rushers away from having an elite unit. It’s an absolute shame they are paying CJ Mosely all this money, because Jame Burgess is playing the Mike role at an exceptionally high level. 

CJ Mosley will be a wrecking crew out there... Its unfortunate he got injured because he is their best defense player. Maybe Adams took over that role now but Mosley is all over the field and prove he was worth every dime next year. 

Fans on this board don't quite understand what he brings to the table because of how this year went down. GW did a lot to adapt with Mosley going down, which I think speaks more to the level of how good GW is as a coach then how good or bad Mosley is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They need at least two corners and a good pass rusher before we can elevate them to top ten. Right now they’re solid. But they did get crushed by Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzmagic so let’s no go overboard. With so many holes on the offense the defense will likely have to forego any major upgrades next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They need at least two corners and a good pass rusher before we can elevate them to top ten. Right now they’re solid. But they did get crushed by Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzmagic so let’s no go overboard. With so many holes on the offense the defense will likely have to forego any major upgrades next season. 

This is true, they are going to need to pull a starter out (hopefully) in the 3rd \ 4th round. I thought Bless Austin could start next year, yesterday he got benched so not sure what the future holds there. But the front seven is fine when everyone comes back. So CB is the only thing they have to find a way to improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is true, they are going to need to pull a starter out (hopefully) in the 3rd \ 4th round. I thought Bless Austin could start next year, yesterday he got benched so not sure what the future holds there. But the front seven is fine when everyone comes back. So CB is the only thing they have to find a way to improve.

I loved the benching. These guys know Williams will yank you no matter who you are if you aren’t getting the job done. It’s a far cry from the Bowels regime in that regard.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank You!!!!

The Jets defense has been magic this year based upon the talent on the field!!  Greg Williams has done as good a job as any DC we have ever had here; folks even suggesting that he be let go are delusional!!

I have not seen one post suggesting GW be let go, where are you getting this from? I am mostly reading that GW should be promoted to HC and Gase be let go, which I have no problem with btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

This is true, they are going to need to pull a starter out (hopefully) in the 3rd \ 4th round. I thought Bless Austin could start next year, yesterday he got benched so not sure what the future holds there. But the front seven is fine when everyone comes back. So CB is the only thing they have to find a way to improve.

The back of his jersey looked real good yesterday as we saw so much of it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank You!!!!

The Jets defense has been magic this year based upon the talent on the field!!  Greg Williams has done as good a job as any DC we have ever had here; folks even suggesting that he be let go are delusional!!

Defense overachieved.  Offense underachieved, although slightly IMO given the loss of WR2, both TEs, a horrid OLine and a roster that wasn't very good to begin with.

I do wonder how the O would look if just say two spots on the OLine were better and we had Enunwa, Herndon for the year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It will feel like we're drafting new talent simply by having guys like Mosley, Cashman, Avery Williamson, etc. return from injury next year.  But, as always, we still need at LEAST one more CB and an Edge rusher.

This, and OL WR TE  others as well. This is gonna take a lil time to put together I think the Jets could be a close to complete team in a couple of years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It will feel like we're drafting new talent simply by having guys like Mosley, Cashman, Avery Williamson, etc. return from injury next year.  But, as always, we still need at LEAST one more CB and an Edge rusher.

Unless they find an edge rusher in free agency, it will still be a need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

This, and OL WR TE  others as well. This is gonna take a lil time to put together I think the Jets could be a close to complete team in a couple of years.

Had a chance to make a significant dent in the needs last year.  I wanted the Jets to jump on Josh Allen at #3 and then go Center in the 3rd round.

Your list is 100% correct but I'd put OL and WR ahead of anything on D.  TE would be nice but I do think that a healthy Herndon, Griffin (who just got extended) and Wesco (who can block and needs to be used more) are about all we can hope for right now.  TE is much lower on the list for me.  Without knowing who will be there in the Draft when we pick I still know the positional flow I wouldn't mind seeing...

OL, WR, OL, CB, OL, Edge, WR, OL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Had a chance to make a significant dent in the needs last year.  I wanted the Jets to jump on Josh Allen at #3 and then go Center in the 3rd round.

Your list is 100% correct but I'd put OL and WR ahead of anything on D.  TE would be nice but I do think that a healthy Herndon, Griffin (who just got extended) and Wesco (who can block and needs to be used more) are about all we can hope for right now.  TE is much lower on the list for me.  Without knowing who will be there in the Draft when we pick I still know the positional flow I wouldn't mind seeing...

OL, WR, OL, CB, OL, Edge, WR, OL

your list is spot on in terms of need and i think the first 3-4 picks will look a lot like your prediction.  Getting an edge rusher in the 5th round isnt likely to add anything we dont already have-Id just go BPA after the third round

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...