Paradis.

k-met57

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mitch Morse should have been a Jet.  Some people thought he had injury concerns but he hasn't missed a game and been on the field for 90 % of the offensive snaps for the Bills this season.

n just like barr...  he is now gonna be playing in the playoffs

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mitch Morse should have been a Jet.  Some people thought he had injury concerns but he hasn't missed a game and been on the field for 90 % of the offensive snaps for the Bills this season.

I was worried about Morse's injury and concussion history. Paradis was who I wanted to fill the center spot. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You get C and LT in the draft. You don't put someone in those all important spots who another team has had for several years and decided they don’t want to sign him to a new deal.

When you have no other viable options, you can take a filer in free agency but yeah, fixing an offensive line via free agency rarely works. We need to use 3ish draft picks on the o-line this year. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I know he left late in the game on Saturday with something to do with his leg against the Pats.

We’ll see if he plays this Sunday 

I agree that the Jets probably should’ve made a move for him, but he definitely has a troubling history with concussions.

And these days, you never know which one of these guys is going to hang ‘em up early because of that.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You get C and LT in the draft. You don't put someone in those all important spots who another team has had for several years and decided they don’t want to sign him to a new deal.

Like Kevin Mawae?

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Center wasn’t a big hole in this team with Harrison. We created a problem by starting Kalil

Sounds like an indictment of the head coach. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He went with his “gut” feeling.

He physically wretched and then vomited once he realized he was going to the Jets...and his second thoughts took over.

And now he's playing with a QB who will make sure the only SB trophy he sees in on a limited edition Budweiser mug set.

• Post of the Week 1

My nephew is a Panthers fan, and he reckons Paradis has been an absolute catastrophe for them. Sounds like a lucky miss for us (albeit it was still shameful not to address the position, although Harrison has been okay since he came in to be fair). 

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

And now he's playing with a QB who will make sure the only SB trophy he sees in on a limited edition Budweiser mug set.

You got that right.

Mr. 4-28 vs Winning Teams when Maccagnan tried to dump the Jet vault on him to try to save his own miserable inept as*.

What a disaster that would have been.  You’d have Cousins completing his 2nd year, with of course no playoffs, and now not knowing where or WHEN you might land a potential Franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Was pretty upset we let him walk to Carolina. Does this justify the move?

Hard to gauge, though, without some context. It's not apples to apples grading blockers of pocket QBs vs mobile ones (though that has never stopped people).

Lamar Jackson buys plenty of extra time with his legs, even when he's not tucking it to run downfield, instead of getting rid of it right away like an experienced QB like Drew Brees. Thing is, if Jackson has been moving around behind the pocket for noticeably longer than the typical ~2.75 seconds, and then eventually/inevitably a defender gets through the line, then said lineman is merely credited with surrendering pressure, rather than surrendering pressure after 3 or 4 or 5 seconds. It's all the difference in the world.

Jackson is getting 2.9 seconds to throw (second most time in the league, but they're pretty all within quarter-second in either direction of 2.75 secs). That's just time to throw. How about the >150 times he's run around back there, often after the linemen maintained their blocks for >4-5 seconds? These linemen don't get any credit for buying Jackson 5 seconds to throw in those cases because, since there was neither a pass attempt nor a sack, officially it's now a running play not a passing play. 

Still another factor is a younger, less-experienced QB will generally take more time to process what he's seeing and to run through his progressions (and in doing so, take more time to make the decision to throw, if he throws it at all). 

This stuff doesn't go for everyone - case in point, Kirk Cousins is the only QB over the 3-second threshold in TTT and he's an experienced veteran and a pocket passer with a bunch of official rushing attempts really just being sacks where he got back to the LOS - but it's a generality not an absolute rule. 

Then there are plays where, because Jackson moves around so quickly, the OL blockers with their backs to him may be blocking an area the QB no longer occupies. A defender trying to apply pressure can easily see if the QB has scrambled left while the OLman who's blind to this is still getting his frame/leverage set to prevent pressure up the middle or to the right.

The take home point, which I'm incapable of making without writing a chapter, is that pressure surrendered without any context - how long did it take to surrender that pressure? - is only telling half the story. My guess is Baltimore's linemen are generally asked to hold their blocks for longer because Jackson is able to move around back there better than pretty much everyone and sprinkle a dash more onto there due to his relative inexperience. 

e.g. Say on a given play, say LJ's LT gives up some pressure and he rolls right to buy some time, but then someone else (maybe Paradis) surrenders pressure 3-4 seconds later (5-6 seconds total). Keeping pressure off a QB for such an extended amount of time on such a play is doing a good job that'd be denigrated by a context-free, purely yes/no "pressures" stat, as though he screwed up badly on the play.

It could also mean these guys suck. I'm not that tuned in to Baltimore's OL. When I'm watching the Ravens offense on a QB drop back I'm totally fixated on Jackson - and Jackson alone - because it's hypnotic watching him run around everyone like he's effortlessly evading overmatched children.

If you read all this you get a cookie.

As great as Lamar Jackson has been I do think his oline deserves a ton of credit too.    He gets unlimited protection which helped  him tremendously. As for a Paradis  I admit I wanted to sign him despite injury concerns.  In the end I’m glad we didn’t.  Harrison had actually been a rare bright spot