3 Cone Drill

choon328

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't why i'm even bothering responding to you. 

The NY Jets needed a #1 WR at the time the draft took place and a we still need a #1 WR today. 

Sam Darnold struggled mainly because of the OL but not having a true #1 WR hurt. 

We could have traded back and acquired another pick and drafted DK Metcalf or drafted him at #3 his stats prove he was the better choice as we speak than QW based on the way we draft the pick would have been a good one. 

Season stats 58 catches 900 yards 7 TD NOT basing anything off of 1 playoff game. 

QW 15 solo tackles 2.5 sacks we got more from the UDFA's. 

And Metcalf wasn’t worth a pick at 3.  And you don’t know if anyone wanted to trade up, but hey a trade would have got it done so cry we didn’t? 

So you’ve been asking why we didn’t draft him when?  Not just because of this weekend?  Just coincidental 

If you don’t know why you respond to me, don’t.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Drafting defense was DUMB especially if you weren't drafting the edge rusher Josh Allen, the #3 pick should have been an offensive playmaker or OL. 

That's simply not how the board fell.  If we wanted to take an offensive player, the proper move would have been to trade down.

At 3, we were stuck taking a defensive player.  Oliver or Josh Allen would have been my preferred picks.  But trading down was the proper move.  And in typical Macc fashion, he had at least one opportunity to do that and didn't pull the trigger.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I agree. Either one would of been great for Darnold. Jets need about 2 new WR’s if we’re being honest.

not sure what is going to happen to Quincy.

The perfect plan would be to draft 1 and sign 1 in free agency. 

RA is going to walk he's going to demand way more than his worth. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's simply not how the board fell.  If we wanted to take an offensive player, the proper move would have been to trade down.

At 3, we were stuck taking a defensive player.  Oliver or Josh Allen would have been my preferred picks.  But trading down was the proper move.  And in typical Macc fashion, he had at least one opportunity to do that and didn't pull the trigger.

Ok I agree. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The CORRECT move would of been Josh Allen at 3 then trade up into the 2nd for DK. 

Speaking of WR’s, DK’s Ole Miss teammate? brown, he’s the real one that got away. I knew DK and Brown would be really good. Sometimes it’s just obvious. Brown is a great YAC receiver. Jerry Jeudy is the next one and he’s even better.

Allen was who I wanted for need

Trading up May or may not have been possible.  

You draft off of what is known about players at the time of the draft.  Not a year or two after the draft 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And Metcalf wasn’t worth a pick at 3.  And you don’t know if anyone wanted to trade up, but hey a trade would have got it done so cry we didn’t? 

So you’ve been asking why we didn’t draft him when?  Not just because of this weekend?  Just coincidental 

If you don’t know why you respond to me, don’t.  

I was very vocal about drafting DK Metcalf this weekend everyone saw how valuable of a player he is. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Allen was who I wanted for need

Trading up May or may not have been possible.  

You draft off of what is known about players at the time of the draft.  Not a year or two after the draft 

The 2019 draft was a defensive draft they say. 

The NY Jets blew the pick based on what we saw from QW this past season. 

Sometimes you need to make the crazy pick or the pick that shocks the world. 

Sam Darnold is your QB going into a second season why wouldn't you draft him a playmaker WR with the #3 pick if you couldn't trade back. 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The perfect plan would be to draft 1 and sign 1 in free agency. 

RA is going to walk he's going to demand way more than his worth. 

Yeah I have a feeling that RA is finished here too. Only way he stays is if we back the brinks truck up and that isn’t happened nor’ should it. RA doesn’t want to be Jet anymore. He’s going to run off to “greener pastures” with even more money.

I’d be ecstatic with Amari Cooper and a draft WR.(Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson)

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well unfortunately, we didn’t have a 2nd rounder. I’m not advocating that we spent our 3rd overall pick on Metcalf. He was a steal in the 2nd round. I’d have picked Josh Allen who the Jag’s picked.

Perhaps a trade down for extra picks would have been the ideal outcome in 2019?

If the argument was we should have taken Josh Allen, I wouldn’t disagree.  

But it’s about taking a guy who has turned out to be a good player 60 picks before the rest of the NFL thought the risk reward ratio was appropriate. 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

If the argument was we should have taken Josh Allen, I wouldn’t disagree.  

But it’s about taking a guy who has turned out to be a good player 60 picks before the rest of the NFL thought the risk reward ratio was appropriate. 

DK Metcalf was talked about all season and was at the top of many draft boards. 

The NY Jets don't understand the NFL draft its the reason we are 50 years and counting. 

2019 season was year 2 of a rookie QB we needed OL and a #1 WR. 

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

DK Metcalf falling to the end of the 2nd round was a classic case of the super smart draft daddies over-thinking it and whiffing on a really good football player

Maybe.  It could also have been the league recognizing a guy with his physique doesn't last long.  You can justify a late 2nd on a short-term stud, especially if you're already a good team (like Seattle).   You can't justify an early-mid 1st on a guy who likely won't merit a 2nd contract.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe.  It could also have been the league recognizing a guy with his physique doesn't last long.  You can justify a late 2nd on a short-term stud, especially if you're already a good team (like Seattle).   You can't justify an early-mid 1st on a guy who likely won't merit a 2nd contract.

Also, a guy with an injuiry history in college.  Makes for a great narrative that he was not drafted because of a bad 3-cone, but the guy missed significant time in two of his three years at Ole Miss.  Including a neck injury that cut his 2018 season short.  He had a great rooke year.  No denying that.  No way of knowing how the rest of his career might play out.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

DK Metcalf was talked about all season and was at the top of many draft boards. 

The NY Jets don't understand the NFL draft its the reason we are 50 years and counting. 

2019 season was year 2 of a rookie QB we needed OL and a #1 WR. 

He might have been high on your board but apparently NFL talent evaluators didnt see it quite the same.  Even the Seahawks took 2 player ahead of him before they selected him at 64.

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Funny.

Oh how we all love DK Metcalf today. He had a great game no doubt. Very similar stats to Robbie Anderson’s Dallas game.

Now we want to rewind and take Metcalf at 3 overall But don’t want to sign Robbie Anderson in the offseason.

Metcalf

58/900/7. Avg- 16.5

Robbie

52/779/5. Avg- 15

With the worst OL in the league and his QB having mono and being out for 3 games

We have DK Metcalf. Just without the same roided out Dawan Landry sculpt.

https://alchetron.com/cdn/dawan-landry-4a6ed841-fda9-4f26-9d7b-7c1a8da738f-resize-750.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Metcalf is a rookie who has a completely different body type than Anderson.  Anderson has not gotten better over the past 3 years. Metcalf has a ton of potential still and won't cost $12-$15 million per year over the next 4 years. Their is a huge difference between the two.  Nice try though

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Also, a guy win an injuiry history in college.  Makes for a great narrative that he was not drafted because of a bad 3-cone, but the guy missed significant time in two of his three years at Ole Miss.  Including a neck injury that cut his 2018 season short.  The guy had a great rooke year.  No denying that.  Now way of knowing how the rest of his career might play out.

Same reason Bless Austin was available for us to take in the 6th rd

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If drafted at 3 he would be the best WR on the team. 

DK Metcalf 58 catches 900 yards 7 TD 

Q Williams 15 tackles 2.5 sacks 

Who helps this team win more games. 

yeah i am sure that without Russell Wilson, Pete Carol, a strong OL, running game and Tyler Lockett he would have the same exact numbers.

but who the F even cares? WR's are a dime a dozen, for one to be drafted top 3 he has to be a "generational WR" not one that can run down the line fast and catch every third pass.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The guy had production and injury issues that made him less than a cant miss prospect and knocked him down the draft board

But Im sure you knew also that Brady was going to be a great QB and would have taken him in the first round instead of the 6th

You probably also wanted Michael Thomas who has led the NFL in receptions though he went mid 2 nd round.

You should submit your GM resume around the NFL.

That was always my take.

If we was that big, and that fast, why did he not dominate college?   Even with the injuries, 55 catches in his last 19 college games isn't that amazing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

but who the F even cares? WR's are a dime a dozen, for one to be drafted top 3 he has to be a "generational WR" not one that can run down the line fast and catch every third pass.

They are?  Then why have the NY Jets ignored the position for years dragging in re-treads or guys like Jalin Marshall, Clyde Gates,David Nelson,etc drafting guys like ArDarius Stewart,Chad Hansen,Charone Peake,Devim Smith,Jalen Saunders,Shaq Evans,Stephon HIll,Jordan White,Marcus Henry. 

We haven't drafted a playmaker WR since Al Toon and Keyshawn Johnson. 

Where are the all dime a dozen guys? 

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

Metcalf is a rookie who has a completely different body type than Anderson.  Anderson has not gotten better over the past 3 years. Metcalf has a ton of potential still and won't cost $12-$15 million per year over the next 4 years. Their is a huge difference between the two.  Nice try though

Nice try?   haha  Come on man. 

I'm talking about production. It's the same. 

Sure their bodies are different but the speed and deep threat ability is very similar. I'd give blocking to Metcalf every day of the week though. Anderson was an UDFA and has become someone who will be the second most sought after WR in this FA class. That's not getting better? Two seasons ago the knock was that he was a trouble maker punk. outside of his hair and inability to speak in sentences I can understand, he's shed that critique entirely. 

The other knock? That he was a one trick pony. Deep go routes is all he could do. Remember that? He is arguably the most improved player on the whole team when you look at his expanded route tree. 

So here's what I'll say. Robbie has proven to be a hard working, steadily improving, complaint less deep threat with great hands and an expanded route tree in his arsenal. He's also someone Sam is comfortable with. We have every reason to believe he will continue to improve due to his work ethic.  Pay him! 

In 3 years DK metcalf will be up for his payday too. Will someone pay him? 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

So here's what I'll say. Robbie has proven to be a hard working, steadily improving, complaint less deep threat with great hands and an expanded route tree in his arsenal. He's also someone Sam is comfortable with. We have every reason to believe he will continue to improve due to his work ethic.  Pay him! 

RA is not a #1 WR we cannot pay him #1 WR money. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Nice try?   haha  Come on man. 

I'm talking about production. It's the same. 

Sure their bodies are different but the speed and deep threat ability is very similar. I'd give blocking to Metcalf every day of the week though. Anderson was an UDFA and has become someone who will be the second most sought after WR in this FA class. That's not getting better? Two seasons ago the knock was that he was a trouble maker punk. outside of his hair and inability to speak in sentences I can understand, he's shed that critique entirely. 

The other knock? That he was a one trick pony. Deep go routes is all he could do. Remember that? He is arguably the most improved player on the whole team when you look at his expanded route tree. 

Robby has been in the league 4 years,  Metcalf is a rookie with the same production.  And "steadily improving" is not something I'd say about Robby. His best year was in 2017 and since then he's had back to back average years. 

In Metcalfs last 9 games he's had 42 rec, 608 yds and 4 tds. Doubling his production from the 1st half of the season.   He's only going to get better.  Robby has plateaued. 

Oh and in 3 years Metcalf will probably be a top 10 WR. Robby will be an overpaid deep threat for another team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Robby has been in the league 4 years,  Metcalf is a rookie with the same production.  Abs "steadily improving" is not something I'd say about Robby. His best year was in 2017 and since then he's had back to back average years.

In Metcalfs last 9 games he's had 42 rec, 608 yds and 4 tds. Doubling his production from the 1st half of the season.   He's only going to get better.  Robby has plateaued. 

DK Metcalf is a BEAST he is a go to guy over the middle,sideline fade, back shoulder, deep ball he does it all and he battles defenders for the ball. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Robby has been in the league 4 years,  Metcalf is a rookie with the same production.  And "steadily improving" is not something I'd say about Robby. His best year was in 2017 and since then he's had back to back average years. 

Oh and in 3 years Metcalf will probably be a top 10 WR. Robby will be an overpaid deep threat for another team. 

I would definitely prefer Metcalf to Robby (obviously) but I think you'd be surprised at the production Robby would have with Russell Wilson as his QB.

Robby has only plateaued because he plays for the team with the 32nd ranked offense.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It still strikes me as impossible that Quinnen Williams was the “best player in the draft” and that there weren’t at least a few offers on the table to trade down. If, I’m fact, there were credible offers to move down and Maccagnan passed on those out of self-interest (thinking a dominant DT would make his other disastrous picks—Leo, Lee, Adams—look better as a result), then it makes keeping Macc around an even more catastrophic mistake than it already is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It still strikes me as impossible that Quinnen Williams was the “best player in the draft” and that there weren’t at least a few offers on the table to trade down. If, I’m fact, there were credible offers to move down and Maccagnan passed on those out of self-interest (thinking a dominant DT would make his other disastrous picks—Leo, Lee, Adams—look better as a result), then it makes keeping Macc around an even more catastrophic mistake than it already is.

I'm sure the Jets could have traded down, but they probably weren't getting a true haul. 

They really should have just taken Josh Allen. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

What’s number 1 WR money ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

more than $13 million in most cases I would guess.  His range should be in the 10 - 12 mill IMO.  15 would be really pushing it.  Probably too far for me, but I am not well versed in the Jets short and long-term cap projections.  He doesn't deserve a "#1" salary, because he is not really a #1 WR.  But I could certainly be fine with paying him more than the 9 million you are paying for Crowder in the slot right now.  And there is nothing that can be said for the Enunwa contract.  Lets just view that guaranteed money as his medical severance.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

They are?  Then why have the NY Jets ignored the position for years dragging in re-treads or guys like Jalin Marshall, Clyde Gates,David Nelson,etc drafting guys like ArDarius Stewart,Chad Hansen,Charone Peake,Devim Smith,Jalen Saunders,Shaq Evans,Stephon HIll,Jordan White,Marcus Henry. 

We haven't drafted a playmaker WR since Al Toon and Keyshawn Johnson. 

Where are the all dime a dozen guys? 

Just because the jets are sh*tty at it, doesn’t make it a valid point buddy. Why did Chris Godwin, AJ Brown, Terry McLauren etc... go in the third round? Shouldn’t they be drafted in the top 10? Dime....a...dozen....

look at the Jefferson kid from LSU, stud...prob round 2/3