The Legendary Earl Campbell Calls Into Mad Dog's Show As "Earl In Austin"

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Love that man.  Humble, and had he stayed healthy, he could have shattered all the records.  For anyone too young to have seen him play, you look at what Derrick Henry did these past 8 weeks and that was pretty much an average Sunday for Earl.  

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

To me Earl Campbell was the best back of his era and is in the top 3 running backs of all time. Could either run you over or run past you. Loved watching him carry the ball 

Couldn't agree more with both posts.  

• Upvote 1

This guy was a truck. Some running backs are great, some are just special to watch. Campbell, for me, is in that special category of guys I slide to the edge of my seat for every time he touches the ball... and that’s just watching old highlights. 

Sweetness, Jim Brown, Beast Mode, Eddie George and Barry Sanders are the only other guys I can think of off the cuff that I e felt like that about them. Maybe the Bus.

Also, just realizing that Bus and Beast Mode belong in that best nicknames thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This guy was a truck. Some running backs are great, some are just special to watch. Campbell, for me, is in that special category of guys I slide to the edge of my seat for every time he touches the ball... and that’s just watching old highlights. 

Sweetness, Jim Brown, Beast Mode, Eddie George and Barry Sanders are the only other guys I can think of off the cuff that I e felt like that about them. Maybe the Bus.

Also, just realizing that Bus and Beast Mode belong in that best nicknames thread.

only guy I'd add to this is Peterson he could run through around or over just like most on this list.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Love that man.  Humble, and had he stayed healthy, he could have shattered all the records.  For anyone too young to have seen him play, you look at what Derrick Henry did these past 8 weeks and that was pretty much an average Sunday for Earl.  

Great post!

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Great post!

Do you two remember his Monday Night Football "breakout" in Houston? I remember Earl back in his Longhorn days, but the game he had that night, and the energy from the crowd in the Astrodome... what an iconic moment.

Every time I think of Earl Campbell, I think of that game first.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Do you two remember his Monday Night Football "breakout" in Houston? I remember Earl back in his Longhorn days, but the game he had that night, and the energy from the crowd in the Astrodome... what an iconic moment.

Every time I think of Earl Campbell, I think of that game first.

Considered possibly the greatest MNF game of all time.  There is absolutely nothing in the NFL these days that even remotely compares to this.

Full Game:

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPAxY5wJCIU

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The man was amazing to watch. led the league in rushing his firs three years. never had a 100 yd. game against the Jets though IIRC

He was the gold standard at the time. Back then, one went to clubs to ... uh … meet … uh … talent. One of my coworker friends spent an entire evening talking to a fairly pretty girl. When we left, he was right behind us. We asked when he planned to see her again. His response was, "Nah, I'm looking for an Earl Campbell, not a Scott Dierking". A few years later at his wedding. one of the guys there that night said. "Well looks  like he settled for Dwayne Crutchfield". 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, that was a different time.

No cable, ABC had MNF, and for most of us Monday night was must watch if you wanted to see teams/players the Jets or Giants didn't play against.

We did have that really cool highlight show with the great background music and the voice of John Facenda. I remember it was a Sabol production, but don't remember the show's name. 

I do remember wanting to go outside and throw around a football with that music echoing in my head, LOL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Considered possibly the greatest MNF game of all time.  There is absolutely nothing in the NFL these days that even remotely compares to this.

Full Game:

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPAxY5wJCIU

I saw that game live... That game introduced Earl Campbell to America.

ps- I loved that MNF intro music... NOTHING like it since.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

OJ  was the best I remember. 

As great as the others were, if I'm using your "edge of the seat" criteria, it was him first, then Barry Sanders and the rest of your list.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, that was a different time.

No cable, ABC had MNF, and for most of us Monday night was must watch if you wanted to see teams/players the Jets or Giants didn't play against.

We did have that really cool highlight show with the great background music and the voice of John Facenda. I remember it was a Sabol production, but don't remember the show's name. 

I do remember wanting to go outside and throw around a football with that music echoing in my head, LOL.

And whether you liked him or not, I always loved Howard Cosell narrating the hi-lights of all the preceding days action at a time when there was no ESPN or NFL Net showing hi-lights all throughout the week.....”Rich-id Todd going...(pause)...to THAT man #85 Wesley Walk-ah as he splits 2 defendahs and takes it 74 yards!!!!”....some great days back then...in all ways.

If you missed halftime Monday Night ...You’d have to wait for “This Week in the NFL” I think it was called by the Sabols with Facenda doing an incredible job as always (someone said that he could describe an icicle melting and make it exciting).  And if you missed that and you missed half time on Monday night you’d have to wait for them to invent the Internet.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

And whether you liked him or not, I always loved Howard Cosell narrating the hi-lights of all the preceding days action at a time when there was no ESPN or NFL Net showing hi-lights all throughout the week.....”Rich-id Todd going...(pause)...to THAT man #85 Wesley Walk-ah as he splits 2 defendahs and takes it 74 yards!!!!”....some great days back then...in all ways.

If you missed halftime Monday Night ...You’d have to wait for “This Week in the NFL” I think it was called by the Sabols with Facenda doing an incredible job as always (someone said that he could describe an icicle melting and make it exciting).  And if you missed that and you missed half time on Monday night you’d have to wait for them to invent the Internet.

Cosell was brilliant with the halftime highlights.  Also, I love the phonetics you used (especially the pause and the "to THAT man") but you left out "kwaterback".  :)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

that guy was a running back.  i swear bum phillips playbook was earl left, earl right.  pastorini who?  too bad he got a little burned out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

another guy; bo jackson.  i will never forget him running over brian bosworth.  he could've been soooooo very good if not for his injury.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Thanks...I tried haha..I knew it would bring a smile to any guys who also watched it live..

Haha. You actually did a great job.  I sounded out in my head what you wrote and I totally heard Cosell's voice.  Not joking that the pause and the "to THAT man" really did add the magic.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

that guy was a running back.  i swear bum phillips playbook was earl left, earl right.  pastorini who?  too bad he got a little burned out.

Hard to blame him, even though he probably killed Earl's career with the overuse.

Every time the subject of greatest RBs of all time comes up, We get lots of Jim Brown, a bunch of Walter and Barry, and maybe a few other whispers.  I always put Earl at the top of my list.  No knock on Jim Brown, but I believe that Earl was just as dominant in his first few seasons, and was pretty much the most perfect blend of power, speed and agility we have ever seen.  When you watch the film, you see him run away from DBs, and you also see a guy who might have been the hardest player to tackle ever.  There hasn't been a RB like him since.

I didn't see Brown play so I can't really compare them fairly, but to me, I would take Earl over anyone else, including Walter and Barry, 10 times out of 10 if I could have any of them in their prime on the Jets.  

• Upvote 2