8 - Aaron Glenn DB

7 - David Harris LB

6 - Shaun Ellis DL

5 - John Abraham DL

4 - Jamal Adams S

3 - Mark Gastineau DL

2 - Joe Klecko DL

1 -  Darrelle Revis CB

James Hasty for honorable mention. at minimum.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Yeah which was a direct result of no QB throwing his way much

That shows a lack of understanding of what Revis accomplished in 2009.  Not only did he lead the league in passes defensed (defended?) with 31, that is 4 more than anybody else had in the over 20 years they have been keeping the statistic.   As in, more passes defensed than anyone in NFL history.  Rex funneled the coverage and rush so that QBs had to throw at Revis and he still shut them down.

• Upvote 1

My list, since 1980:

1.  Mo Lewis:  Yeah yeah, we blame him for Brady.  How we should view him is a Jets great and lifer whose play didn't really dip until he was 32.  52.5 career sacks, 14 INTs, and a key cog for over a decade.  He appeared in 6 postseason games for the Jets, only eclipsed by the next guy on the list.

2.  Mark Gastineau:  Lacked the longevity of Mo Lewis but was transcendent for 2+ seasons.  Give me a dominant pass rusher even over a short period of time over just about anyone else.  

3.  Joe Klecko:  Since we're only going since 1980, we miss out on Klecko's first 3 seasons.  That doesn't matter much though, because he demonstrated he was a versatile beast all 11 years of his Jet career.  

4.  John Abraham:  It's been so long since we've had a dominant pass rusher, we forget what its like.  133.5 career sacks, 53.5 of them in just 73 games with the Jets.  That's insane.  Tack on 19 FF's and 55 TFLs with the Jets.  He only had 2 playoff sacks with the Jets, but he did help terrorize Peyton Manning in that 2002 playoff game.  

5.  Darrelle Revis:  Much like Gastineau, he was dominant for a short period.  That 2009 season was the most impressive single-season performance out of any player in Jets history.  

6.  Shaun Ellis:  Another "Jet lifer" (aside from 1 season we won't talk about), Ellis gets bumped up a few spots ahead of more talented players.  72.5 sacks and 13 FFs over 11 years, a quiet team leader, and the near-perfect bookend in a 4-3 as well as being an excellent 3-4 DE.  He excelled under several coaching regimes.  

7.  Hugh Douglas:  Only a Jet for 3 years, Douglas showed enough to make this list, with 22 sacks over 3 seasons.  

8.  James Hasty:  Aaron Glenn usually gets 2nd billing among all-time Jets corners, but its Hasty who actually deserves that title.  7 quality seasons with the Jets that included three seasons where he snagged 5 INTs, with 2 Pro Bowl appearances.  

9.  David Harris:  Limited athletically but unquestionably an elite tackler and quiet leader over a decade.  Harris had 7 seasons where he racked up 100+ tackles, and he was especially great during that 2009 season, when he had 127 tackles (82 solo), 5.5 sacks, 13 QB Hits and 2 FFs.  

10.  Aaron Glenn:  Spent 8 years with the Jets before becoming a cap casualty to the expansion Texans; Glenn racked up 24 INTs and was also a physical player and willing tackler at the LOS; he forced 4 fumbles and had two seasons with 50+ solo tackles.  Glenn's toughness made him the perfect Bill Parcells player to build a defense around.  

Honorable mention:  James Farrior 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That shows a lack of understanding of what Revis accomplished in 2009.  Not only did he lead the league in passes defensed (defended?) with 31, that is 4 more than anybody else had in the over 20 years they have been keeping the statistic.   As in, more passes defensed than anyone in NFL history.  Rex funneled the coverage and rush so that QBs had to throw at Revis and he still shut them down.

I understand what Revis did in 2009 Dom.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My list, since 1980:

1.  Mo Lewis:  Yeah yeah, we blame him for Brady.  How we should view him is a Jets great and lifer whose play didn't really dip until he was 32.  52.5 career sacks, 14 INTs, and a key cog for over a decade.  He appeared in 6 postseason games for the Jets, only eclipsed by the next guy on the list.

2.  Mark Gastineau:  Lacked the longevity of Mo Lewis but was transcendent for 2+ seasons.  Give me a dominant pass rusher even over a short period of time over just about anyone else.  

3.  Joe Klecko:  Since we're only going since 1980, we miss out on Klecko's first 3 seasons.  That doesn't matter much though, because he demonstrated he was a versatile beast all 11 years of his Jet career.  

4.  John Abraham:  It's been so long since we've had a dominant pass rusher, we forget what its like.  133.5 career sacks, 53.5 of them in just 73 games with the Jets.  That's insane.  Tack on 19 FF's and 55 TFLs with the Jets.  He only had 2 playoff sacks with the Jets, but he did help terrorize Peyton Manning in that 2002 playoff game.  

5.  Darrelle Revis:  Much like Gastineau, he was dominant for a short period.  That 2009 season was the most impressive single-season performance out of any player in Jets history.  

6.  Shaun Ellis:  Another "Jet lifer" (aside from 1 season we won't talk about), Ellis gets bumped up a few spots ahead of more talented players.  72.5 sacks and 13 FFs over 11 years, a quiet team leader, and the near-perfect bookend in a 4-3 as well as being an excellent 3-4 DE.  He excelled under several coaching regimes.  

7.  Hugh Douglas:  Only a Jet for 3 years, Douglas showed enough to make this list, with 22 sacks over 3 seasons.  

8.  James Hasty:  Aaron Glenn usually gets 2nd billing among all-time Jets corners, but its Hasty who actually deserves that title.  7 quality seasons with the Jets that included three seasons where he snagged 5 INTs, with 2 Pro Bowl appearances.  

9.  David Harris:  Limited athletically but unquestionably an elite tackler and quiet leader over a decade.  Harris had 7 seasons where he racked up 100+ tackles, and he was especially great during that 2009 season, when he had 127 tackles (82 solo), 5.5 sacks, 13 QB Hits and 2 FFs.  

10.  Aaron Glenn:  Spent 8 years with the Jets before becoming a cap casualty to the expansion Texans; Glenn racked up 24 INTs and was also a physical player and willing tackler at the LOS; he forced 4 fumbles and had two seasons with 50+ solo tackles.  Glenn's toughness made him the perfect Bill Parcells player to build a defense around.  

Honorable mention:  James Farrior 

I like this list but my main argument for Abraham being a tad bit lower is that he lacked durability and missed some huge games for us. 

• Upvote 2

An interesting guy is Ray Mickens.  He was an excellent slot corner before that was really a thing.  I remember reading an article about how much better he was in the slot than anybody else.  It was probably in Sports Illustrated when that was something.  IIRC, he had a heck of a year late in his career and then blew out his knee.  Went a couple of years elsewhere and finished out his career with the Pats.  Not as good as Revis, Hasty and Glenn, I still might be considering him if I were drafting a team of all-time Jets.

• Upvote 4

On 2/3/2020 at 12:26 PM, bitonti said:

I still think 99 is better than 73 (or at least a rarer athlete, who would be more valuable in any era) 

that first step was unbelievable 

99 gets blamed for abandoning the team and the Kosar roughing etc as a person he stinks but as a player he's cash money 

still - nice work -  can live with this list overall 

He is quite literally the guy who cemented my Jets fandom. My 10 year old self could not believe how dominant he was. Everyone hated him but I loved him to death. I loved the Sack dance too. It got me so excited. 

• Upvote 2

David Harris is getting a little too much love imo. He was good, but a top 10 Jets defender over the last 40 years? Either that or we’ve fielded some real sad piece of c*nt defenders. Harris couldn’t cover if his life depended on it. Never made the Pro Bowl either but he did make a 2nd team all-pro once. 

Enjoyed watching Revis and Cromartie patrol the secondary. I know Cromartie was an inconsistent tackler, but at his peak, he and Revis were the best cover corner tandem in the league under Rex. Just a shame it didn't last and a pity that Rex never managed to get a stud pass rusher to take advantage of the cover in the secondary. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

10 - Mo Lewis LB

9 - Victor Green DB

8 - Aaron Glenn DB

7 - David Harris LB

6 - Shaun Ellis DL

5 - John Abraham DL

4 - Jamal Adams S

3 - Mark Gastineau DL

2 - Joe Klecko DL

1 -  Darrelle Revis CB

Looks good. I wish you just did top 3 so I could agree

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I loved the Sack dance too. It got me so excited. 

Klecko fans like to point out that 73 had 21+ sacks the year they weren't recorded 

it's because of 99's stupid dog piss dancing that they started recording the stat 

and then he held the record in that stat for 2+ decades (and quite reasonably should still hold the record, not for the Favre/Strahan lay down)

Think about that. Everyone's crying about Klecko (a convicted felon btw, perjury, look it up) and meanwhile they haven't even retired 99's number. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Klecko fans like to point out that 73 had 21+ sacks the year they weren't recorded 

it's because of 99's stupid dog piss dancing that they started recording the stat 

and then he held the record in that stat for 2+ decades (and quite reasonably should still hold the record, not for the Favre/Strahan lay down)

Think about that. Everyone's crying about Klecko (a convicted felon btw, perjury, look it up) and meanwhile they haven't even retired 99's number. 

Yep,  I love Klecko as much as the next guy, but 99 was my dude. 

And he should absolutely still be the sack leader. That was a travesty. they Ripped the one legit crown we had off of our bald heads. 

even still MG is the #2 sack leader of all time. We hear nothing of such titles!  BS! 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

10 - Mo Lewis LB

9 - Victor Green DB

8 - Aaron Glenn DB

7 - David Harris LB

6 - Shaun Ellis DL

5 - John Abraham DL

4 - Jamal Adams S

3 - Mark Gastineau DL

2 - Joe Klecko DL

1 -  Darrelle Revis CB

Where's Kerry Rhodes?

You know, the guy with the two highest PFF rated seasons for a Jets safety?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Did you know Gerry Philbin and Deacon Jones had no sacks.  

• Upvote 1