Joe Douglas first free agency thus far...

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So true.  I’ll evaluate Douglas on April 25th and see where we are.   Until then, stressing over FA’s is a waste of time.  

i don't mind the not splurging of free agents but there are so many holes to fill and only so many draft picks.  maybe douglas is thinking of a 2 or 3 season rebuild so he'll be going after 2nd tier players and then getting the prime ones in the draft.  it might work but it also depends an awful lot on how good the jets scouts are in finding the players.

right now i suspect they're going to bring back beachum and lewis.  at least with fant, harrison, and winters they'll have a complete line oline although not one much better than last season.  if they land two good oline in the draft then the line up could change for the better during the course of the season.  and who knows who else they might bring back.

I'm worried, but i'm waiting to see what else is done today, and in the coming days.

If by the end of today we see that we signed Robby back, landed Fowler, and maybe one other piece, i'll feel somewhat better than if we did nothing.

Missing out on the big name OL was tough, as was corners as well.

I'm hopeful he is trying to navigate us in to the comp pick selections for next year, but that also doesn't help us out in the now, especially with Miami and Buffalo making some big moves to help bolster their roster.

To me that amplifies the nervousness.  Not only seeing us remain quiet, but watching those in our division go out and take their shots.

Hopefully today will be a better day.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't mind the not splurging of free agents but there are so many holes to fill and only so many draft picks.  maybe douglas is thinking of a 2 or 3 season rebuild so he'll be going after 2nd tier players and then getting the prime ones in the draft.  it might work but it also depends an awful lot on how good the jets scouts are in finding the players.

right now i suspect they're going to bring back beachum and lewis.  at least with fant, harrison, and winters they'll have a complete line oline although not one much better than last season.  if they land two good oline in the draft then the line up could change for the better during the course of the season.  and who knows who else they might bring back.

Douglas was never going to fill every hole on this team by signing a 5 year starter at that position via free agency.  We aren’t even 24 hours into free agency and people have declared the offseason and Joe Douglas a failure...Lol.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I can't count the amount of times I've read people say we have to build through the draft.  

So Douglas doesn't splurge on the high end free agents in this year and it creates utter distain for what he's doing.

I would absolutely love for something to give me a warm, fuzzy sports buzz right now.  That doesn't mean what Douglas is doing is wrong.  There are quite a few good players left in FA and the draft is still on deck.  The OL can still become markedly better than last years.  The team can still improve overall.  

Would anyone feel more reassured as a Dolphins fan right now?  They have made multiple splash moves.  Yet they completely seem to have abandoned the process they had set in place last year at this time.  That seems more "Same Old Jets" than what Douglas is doing.

Jets buy average FA's at a premium: JetNation fans go nuts. He's just another Tanny, he's dumber than Mac!

Jets make quiet moves in FA: JetNation fans go nuts. Everybody is getting better but us! He's just another Idzik.

I think we should actually wait and see how this all plays out before we succumb to the usual hysteria, but I fear that would be asking too much.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's mind numbing.  There is an actual post in this thread that claims, in a few short hours, Joe Douglas ruined any chance of being competitive on offense next year.  Another that says, get the "fire Douglas planes ready".  These are supposedly grown ass men who watch follow Football and they sure fire true blue believe the Jets are doomed because they missed out on signing some names they recognize.

It is comical.  Not surprising though considering all of the unrealistic off season “mocks” that people put out there around here.  Douglas himself even mentioned how he doesn’t believe in big splashes on day 0 and day 1 of free agency, but yet somehow people are flabbergasted that the Jets only signed Fant.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It is comical.  Not surprising though considering all of the unrealistic off season “mocks” that people put out there around here.  Douglas himself even mentioned how he doesn’t believe in big splashes on day 0 and day 1 of free agency, but yet somehow people are flabbergasted that the Jets only signed Fant.  

Where did he say this at? 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's mind numbing.  There is an actual post in this thread that claims, in a few short hours, Joe Douglas ruined any chance of being competitive on offense next year.  Another that says, get the "fire Douglas planes ready".  These are supposedly grown ass men who watch follow Football and they sure fire true blue believe the Jets are doomed because they missed out on signing some names they recognize.

I agree with you for the most part.  On the other hand, we had been hearing for weeks how we were going after Conklin (appears to be untrue), Thuney (franchised) and Glasgow (lost to Broncos).  When we whiffed on all 3, people get frustrated and come on here to vent.  Some crazy knee-jerk reactions, but that is the nature of a message board. 

As for me, I was frustrated yesterday and vented a bit myself.  But I also know that the teams that win day 1 of FA rarely win when the regular season rolls around.  We have done the big ticket signing thing with Macc a couple of times, and that did not exaclty work out well.  I have been patient for 50+ years.  I can be patient a little bit longer.  But not too much longer.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

I agree with you for the most part.  On the other hand, we had been hearing for weeks how we were going after Conklin (appears to be untrue), Thuney (franchised) and Glasgow (lost to Broncos).  When we whiffed on all 3, people get frustrated and come on here to vent.  Some crazy knee-jerk reactions, but that is the nature of a message board. 

As for me, I was frustrated yesterday and vented a bit myself.  But I also know that the teams that win day 1 of FA rarely win when the regular season rolls around.  We have done the big ticket signing thing with Macc a couple of times, and that did not exaclty work out well.  I have been patient for 50+ years.  I can be patient a little bit longer.  But not too much longer.

The problem with all of these stories about teams being “interested” in this player and that player is that they are usually just mis-information planted by agents or other teams.  I’m sure he was interested in Conklin, but not to the point of going over a certain number.  Also, Conklin simply may not have wanted to play for the Jets.  He’s a mid-west guy, maybe he wanted to pLay in Ohio more than N.Y.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

At this point, it isn’t to get a lot better next season. That became obvious today. 

Douglas and Gase seem intent on taking a long view here. Plug some holes on the roster with cheap lateral moves for now, draft players they like and go from there.

Who knows what they do with guys like Adams or Darnold? It’s hard to imagine they have faith in Sam to be their guy if they don’t make protecting him a priority.

We should know for sure after the draft. If they don’t go really heavy on the OL, Sam isn’t long for here, and this roster is being torn down for a complete rebuild.

Douglas has the luxury of the long view.  Gase does not.  If this thing isn't going in the right direction next year, Gase is gone and Douglas will have to bring in his guy.  Another restart.

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The problem with all of these stories about teams being “interested” in this player and that player is that they are usually just mis-information planted by agents or other teams.  I’m sure he was interested in Conklin, but not to the point of going over a certain number.  Also, Conklin simply may not have wanted to play for the Jets.  He’s a mid-west guy, maybe he wanted to pLay in Ohio more than N.Y.   

Agreed.  That is why I think all of these mock offseasons are crazy.  In free agency, the player is in control.  He has multiple offers from multiple teams and the player makes the decision.  All of these offseasons where we sign Thuney and Conklin and Fowler and Bradberry were crazy.  It was never gonna happen.

I don't know if the Fant signing will work out or not.  If you do a little bit of research into him, he is a young guy, who learned a new position as a rooke, missed his 2nd season with an ACL, then found himself behind Duane Brown on the depth chart.  Not unheard for a guy like that to need a few years to develop.  He was thrust into starter role at LT at the end of the season and supposedly acquitted himself pretty well against some pretty good pass rushers.  Maybe JD found a hidden gem.   Or maybe he wasted $13.7MM guaranteed $.  I will give it a chance before drawing the conclusion that he sucks (as many have done already).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It may be a bit of an exaggeration but right now I don’t even want to follow this upcoming season. I don’t care what happens anymore because the Jets make decisions like they don’t care what happens anymore. It doesn’t matter who the GM, HC or QB is. It really doesn’t. Some teams just suck forever and we constantly see why.

Are you kidding?

Really?

A bit of an exaggeration?  OMG, one day of FA and the season is over?  We're going to suck because of what didnt happen in March?  Youre that butt hurt that whoever it is you thought we needed wasn't signed to an outrageous deal?  

Enjoy the year off.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree totally.  

Problem is with most of the stories of interest from the so called insiders, unless teams want a message sent out, its all guessing, not inside info.

They look at the pending FAs, look at teams with holes at those positions and put the two together.  All the reports that the Jets were going to be players for all those OL were wrong.  All the talk of swinging and missing is from fans who are pissed their team didnt make a splash.  We have no idea that the Jets made a serious offer beyond opening type bids for a player, if any at all.  But we missed? 

None of this has to do with putting together a winner.  None of this says there isn't another way to get it done, that the only way to get better is to sign every high priced FA.

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The ironic part is, and I'm not saying he's doing the bitching but @Jetsfan80 started a thread talking about how A. we're not the only ones looking to sign OL talent and have cap space to spend but also B. We shouldnt be spending big in FA to begin with because this isnt a 1 year turnaround and we've seen being the "big winners" in FA means absolutely nothing in the regular season.

I said it another thread, Joe Douglas wont be judged on who he brings in via FA, he'll be judged on his ability to identify, grow and develop talent through the draft. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

You mean we didn't sign a bunch of guys and suck again anyway? Damn...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The ironic part is, and I'm not saying he's doing the bitching but @Jetsfan80 started a thread talking about how A. we're not the only ones looking to sign OL talent and have cap space to spend but also B. We shouldnt be spending big in FA to begin with because this isnt a 1 year turnaround and we've seen being the "big winners" in FA means absolutely nothing in the regular season.

I said it another thread, Joe Douglas wont be judged on who he brings in via FA, he'll be judged on his ability to identify, grow and develop talent through the draft. 

Exactly.  That’s why I said I’ll evaluate all this on April 25th.  

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

200.gif

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with you for the most part.  On the other hand, we had been hearing for weeks how we were going after Conklin (appears to be untrue), Thuney (franchised) and Glasgow (lost to Broncos).  When we whiffed on all 3, people get frustrated and come on here to vent. 

A lack of offer from us =/= lack of interest.  We may have learned what price they were looking for and decided not to pursue at that number.  

Conklin is injury prone and its why the Titans didn't franchise him in the first place.  Might be a mistake on their part, but when the team that drafts you doesn't see the benefit of a 2nd contract, it's worth paying attention to.  That's why free agency is fool's gold.  

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm to the point where I'm so disgusted, I don't want to bring up the fact that this guy, who had to know why he got this job, what he needed to fix first after watching the sh*t show last year,  just completely ruined any chance to make this offense competitive next year within 7 hours.

ur usually not this guy

7 hrs ruins the GM? you cant fix a train wreck in 7 hrs.

Image result for train wreck