Why I supported Mike Maccagnan for so long.

hahaha. 

Hey, so we are 26 hours or so into the FA period and we seemingly lost out on our first list of top FA players. Conklin, Glasgow, Bradberry, Van Noy etc. 

There are those that think JD has a plan and those that fear he's getting his butt kicked out there. Who knows what it really is right now?

But let me just say that I was probably the last supporter of our previous GM around here.  Not so much for all he did, but that we could have potentially been past his learning period and just might have been frowning into an actual NFL GM. My fear was that we'd hire some first time GM and have to watch him make many of the same mistakes that we just endured with the last guy. We hire more first time GM's and HC's than most teams and I, for one, am tiring of continually watching the learning period only to move on and do it all over again. 

That brings us to today and our new guy Joe Douglass. he has a much stronger background that any GM we've ever had before. he has the respect of much of the NFl. He's built a strong supporting cast in his front office. He has a bigger rounder head than any of his predecessors.  But he's still a first time GM. I fully expect him to have a plan, but I also expect him to make tons of first timer mistakes.  ie: Vedvik, Kalil and the like. I think we are in the middle of much of those. 

My support for Macchiato's took a major hit with the last draft and I now have completely flipped on my support of him so please leave me alone there. hahaha

I'm not trying to continue the support. I'm merely trying to add a bit of perspective to what we were all hoping was a complete rebuild of the o line before Wednesday.  He's a first time GM. We have to allow him to grow into his role throughout his long 6 year contract. I'm trying really hard to include this into my thinking while I'm considering going off the rails. No matter what happens with this Fa period, we still likely have a solid GM. Its just gonna take longer than our patience desires. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

dick steinberg had experience at gm.  all gm's make mistakes.  remember when bobby beathard was the darling of the nfl because of his time with the redskins?  casserly got the same rep.  the list goes on.  right now the jets have to trust douglas to make solid decisions to build this team.  and it doesn't look like he's playing for just this season but is looking a couple of seasons out.

• Sympathy 1

I was on board with Macc in the beginning.  But the policy on OL drove me bonkers.  Year after year.  Until I just wanted to punt him into the sun.  I remember I think it was the Shell pick.  Because it was just insane that that was the only OL we took.  Just absolutely bonkers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I was on board with Macc in the beginning.  But the policy on OL drove me bonkers.  Year after year.  Until I just wanted to punt him into the sun.  I remember I think it was the Shell pick.  Because it was just insane that that was the only OL we took.  Just absolutely bonkers.

Jets fans on March 15:  "It's insane that Macc only used one pick in the first 4 rounds on OL over 5 years.  Worst GM of all-time."

Jets fans on March 17:  "DOUGLAS IS A CLOWN HOW HAS HE NOT FIXED THE OL YET GAWD"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets fans on March 15:  "It's insane that Macc only used one pick in the first 4 rounds on OL over 5 years.  Worst GM of all-time."

Jets fans on March 17:  "DOUGLAS IS A CLOWN HOW HAS HE NOT FIXED THE OL YET GAWD"

I don't criticize the cook until the dinner is served.  Just my philosophy.

• Upvote 1

jolly-good-show-old-bean

You really should have turned against mac for his oline neglect much sooner.  Above and beyond any of his failed or bad picks, the sheer and blatant neglect of the oline should have had every one on his case.

No worries though, both you and Chris johsnon were the same in support for this guy until the end

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

In fairness to Douglas, this franchise has been a disaster for so long that it's just not that easy to attract top tier FA's unless we overpay, and perhaps he doesn't want to fall into that trap.   Well, either that or he is getting in line with a long list of previous GM's that didn't know what the hell they were doing!

Let's see how this plays out before we send him to the gallows.

Yeah our track record of throwing big bucks at big name FA's has certainly worked out well in the past? We should definitely have spent all remaining cap space on Vet players just looking to get paid and not put forth effort, right MoWilk? Right Trumaine?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Yeah our track record of throwing big bucks at big name FA's has certainly worked out well in the past? We should definitely have spent all remaining cap space on Vet players just looking to get paid and not put forth effort, right MoWilk? Right Trumaine?

No we throw big money George Fant a guy that isn’t even a regular starter with a PFF grade of 62.2!!!

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/george-fant/11282

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha. 

Hey, so we are 26 hours or so into the FA period and we seemingly lost out on our first list of top FA players. Conklin, Glasgow, Bradberry, Van Noy etc. 

There are those that think JD has a plan and those that fear he's getting his butt kicked out there. Who knows what it really is right now?

But let me just say that I was probably the last supporter of our previous GM around here.  Not so much for all he did, but that we could have potentially been past his learning period and just might have been frowning into an actual NFL GM. My fear was that we'd hire some first time GM and have to watch him make many of the same mistakes that we just endured with the last guy. We hire more first time GM's and HC's than most teams and I, for one, am tiring of continually watching the learning period only to move on and do it all over again. 

That brings us to today and our new guy Joe Douglass. he has a much stronger background that any GM we've ever had before. he has the respect of much of the NFl. He's built a strong supporting cast in his front office. He has a bigger rounder head than any of his predecessors.  But he's still a first time GM. I fully expect him to have a plan, but I also expect him to make tons of first timer mistakes.  ie: Vedvik, Kalil and the like. I think we are in the middle of much of those. 

My support for Macchiato's took a major hit with the last draft and I now have completely flipped on my support of him so please leave me alone there. hahaha

I'm not trying to continue the support. I'm merely trying to add a bit of perspective to what we were all hoping was a complete rebuild of the o line before Wednesday.  He's a first time GM. We have to allow him to grow into his role throughout his long 6 year contract. I'm trying really hard to include this into my thinking while I'm considering going off the rails. No matter what happens with this Fa period, we still likely have a solid GM. Its just gonna take longer than our patience desires. 

Question....was that (above) done on purpose?

:P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Right Mawae?  Right Curtis Martin? Right Woody and Faneca?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rangerous said:
dick steinberg had experience at gm.  all gm's make mistakes.  remember when bobby beathard was the darling of the nfl because of his time with the redskins?  casserly got the same rep.  the list goes on.  right now the jets have to trust douglas to make solid decisions to build this team.  and it doesn't look like he's playing for just this season but is looking a couple of seasons out.

Steinberg is brought up in many conversations as a brilliant football guy. But he never really did all that much. Same goes for Bradway.

Sure all GM’s make mistakes but rookie mistakes and even flat out bad moves but getting taken for rides is less likely with Reid, Jones, belliprickand the like. Smart Football guys who know what they are doing.

Even if Douglas ends up being one of them, he will still be green first imo.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Wanna know something?  i was convinced that Bowles had a major hand in the sucky players like Darron lee and the double Safety draft. The he was more to blame. Which helped me give Macchiato's more credit than he deserved.  Some of that may have been true but his last draft was abysmal. I disagreed with every single pick he made. Even Choosing Edoga when all I wanted was o line. I like Edoga and am happy we at least chose a friggin lineman but there were better guys sitting there. Macc lost me with the last  draft without Bowles. I finally saw the light as if someone pulled open the curtains at 7 am on a sunday morning. 

And now you know.   hahaha 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So to summarize, you were against firing Macc because then we'd have to hire someone new.  

Go delete your account.  lol.  

I tried deleting it 100x.   I wake up and it's back. ;-) 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

jolly-good-show-old-bean

You really should have turned against mac for his oline neglect much sooner.  Above and beyond any of his failed or bad picks, the sheer and blatant neglect of the oline should have had every one on his case.

No worries though, both you and Chris johsnon were the same in support for this guy until the end

haha Good stuff. 

The other problem is I took 2 years off from the Jets after the week 17 loss to the Rex Ryan led Bills. I'd had it.  I was at Epcot with my Kids and that game was ruining my day. I just shut the phone off and didn't come back for two years. That ebbed the Macc hate a lot. Believe me. I got there though.  :) 

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha. 

**** your perspective you moron

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

I turned on Mac going into Bowles’s last season. The roster was a mess and we signed Trumaine Johnson who I hated. I realized we were going nowhere even tho we got our QB. Suddenly, I knew everything that I thought I saw in the last few years was a lie and wishful thinking.